or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad expands lead in tablet use at the expense of Amazon, Android, Microsoft Surface

Apple's iPad expands lead in tablet use at the expense of Amazon, Android, Microsoft Surface

post #1 of 29
The release of the iPad three years ago has had a brutal impact on conventional PC sales, but new data on tablet use shows that Apple is not just fending off tablet competitors, it's advancing on them.

Source: Chitika

Apple's iPads now account for 81.9 percent of U.S. and Canadian tablet web traffic, according to a report by online advertiser Chitika. That's the first increase the firm has reported since December.

Apple reverses iPad's slight decline

Last month, Chitika reported a slight monthly decline of half of one percentage point, from 81 percent to 80.5, in the iPad's web traffic share (shown below).

Chitika

Amazon's Kindle Fire, Samsung's Galaxy Tab, Google-branded Nexus tablets and the Microsoft Surface all reported slight increases from December through February, making Apple's February dip appear part of a trend toward a more competitive tablet market.

However, Apple's March increase of 1.4 percentage points reversed things, and now Chitika is reporting that tablet use by Amazon, Samsung, Google and Microsoft are all essentially flat or slightly lower.

Apple increased its iPad lead by more than the Surface, Xoom, Nexus, Kindle Fire and all of Samsung's Galaxy tablets combined.

Microsoft's beleaguered Surface is being used at the same rate as Motorola's failed Xoom. Together, the two share less than one percentage point.

Are discounted iPad refurbs to blame?

Chitika noted that iPad growth "may be partially due to Apple offering refurbished iPads at a discount beginning in mid-March, 2013," reinforcing the reality that Apple continues to sell its products at a price premium, giving it room to reduce prices to increase its share.

Chitika's report is based on the network's 300 million ad impressions involving over 100,000 users visiting 250,000 websites. Because it measures the activity of real world users, it does not closely reflect the "shipment" reports compiled by market research firms who compare retail channel tablet inventory with Apple's iPad sales.

Instead, it highlights which tablet devices are actually being used to access various websites, providing what appears to be a more accurate picture of the actual tablet market.
post #2 of 29

EXPANDS the lead? Expands. Expands the lead.

How can these people even try to defend their FUDmongering?! lol.gif

Are discounted iPad refurbs to blame?

That's not really 'blame', is it?

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #3 of 29

I can believe it.

The iPad is just killing everything else out there, and it's been doing so since day one.

I still think that somebody has to be batshit insane to buy any other tablet. Either that or they are extremely poor, in which case, they probably shouldn't be buying any tablet at all. Other things, like food and shoes on their feet should be more of a priority, in my humble opinion. The entry price of $329 (or even cheaper, if you can find a good sale like at Walmart or someplace like that) is a damn cheap price to be able to get an iPad and enter the Apple ecosystem. It's the only one that counts and it's where all of the premium apps are being released.

Buying any other tablet besides an iPad is like stocking up on Confederate currency just prior to the civil war.

post #4 of 29

Hmmmmmmm, surprised by these Surface numbers.

post #5 of 29

Are the owners of AI also owners of Apple stock? If so, I think reporting here has been fatally compromised.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #6 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I still think that somebody has to be batshit insane to buy any other tablet. Either that or they are extremely poor, in which case, they probably shouldn't be buying any tablet at all.

I wouldn't go quite that far but for the average user I'm with you.

post #7 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm not so sure that's really the cause. Obviously they have to be aware of refurbished options to buy one that way, and somehow I doubt they make up a significant percentage of sales.

post #8 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Are the owners of AI also owners of Apple stock? If so, I think reporting here has been fatally compromised.

I don't know if they are or not, but if they were, how do you explain all of the Digitimes stories? Any sane stockholder would not reprint the crap that Digitimes spews.

post #9 of 29
Quote:

I'm sure we will hear shortly form the usual suspects explaining that this is flawed, or greatly misinterpreted data. Don't we always hear from them anyway?

post #10 of 29
A lot of good news about Apple today, ad sales, iPad use, Verizon activation; but the stock will continue to go down.
post #11 of 29
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post
I'm sure we will hear shortly form the usual suspects explaining that this is flawed, or greatly misinterpreted data. Don't we always hear from them anyway?

"Chitika is an iOS service and so of course there will be more iPads DUH" 1tongue.gif

post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Why is something fatally compromised because it is at odds with someone else's personal bias. AI tends to report positive things about Apple when the rest of the world is hell bent on denigrating the accomplishments of the company. Are you saying AI must follow suit in order to be credible?

I wish you would explain your comment because it really doesn't make any sense.

post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

Why? Because the nerds declared Surface to be the great iPad killer and it hasn't worked out?

post #14 of 29
Quote:

Why? Because the nerds declared Surface to be the great iPad killer and it hasn't worked out?

Click, clickety click, click...

chirp..

post #15 of 29
Quote:

I'm surprised that any rational person thought that it would do well in the first place. Just about everybody with a clue knew that it was DOA.

post #16 of 29
Quote:

Why is something fatally compromised because it is at odds with someone else's personal bias. AI tends to report positive things about Apple when the rest of the world is hell bent on denigrating the accomplishments of the company. Are you saying AI must follow suit in order to be credible?

I wish you would explain your comment because it really doesn't make any sense.

A worker should be worthy of his hire.

Cheers

post #17 of 29
Quote:

I can believe it.

The iPad is just killing everything else out there, and it's been doing so since day one.

I still think that somebody has to be batshit insane to buy any other tablet. Either that or they are extremely poor, in which case, they probably shouldn't be buying any tablet at all. Other things, like food and shoes on their feet should be more of a priority, in my humble opinion. The entry price of $329 (or even cheaper, if you can find a good sale like at Walmart or someplace like that) is a damn cheap price to be able to get an iPad and enter the Apple ecosystem. It's the only one that counts and it's where all of the premium apps are being released.

Buying any other tablet besides an iPad is like stocking up on Confederate currency just prior to the civil war.
Yea I agree with u 200 percent. I don't know why on earth anyone would want to buy a POS android device. I'm kinda poor but I know better not purchase a non apple tablet. All my iOS devices came from hard earned money.
post #18 of 29
Quote:

I can believe it.

This is like IBM PC vs Macintosh in the 80s.  A lot of consumers were lured into buying an IBM PC clone because of cheapness.  After that they put it into the closet for months.  Then some family member or friend or coworker showed them to steal software from another PC. 

post #19 of 29
I'm sure WS will spin this negatively: iPad fails to capture 103% of market.
post #20 of 29
Quote:

Clearly Apple should be just junking those as surely their competition is doing the same¿. Reckon a person would have to actually buy their junk then return it for there to be refurb stock. I guess I answered my own non-question.
Edited by ChristophB - 4/18/13 at 7:16pm
post #21 of 29
But, but but . . . all those shipments of Android tablets and, and, and . . . the analysts keep saying that Android is killing iOS. Web usage statistics aren't a real metric for OWNERSHIP. Android devices are keeping dust of of store shelves and being kept in drawers in homes where they are saving them for a 'good' use like propping up seat cushions on saggy couches and holding doors open on windy days.
post #22 of 29

This is a complete slaughter. Keep in mind that amazon is selling their tablets near or at cost, as a gateway to their services. Remember all the fear mongering when the new Kindles were shown off, and how so many were predicting the iPad was in big trouble because of the low prices? What do you know, people are still preferring to buy more expensive tablets (the iPad) so I guess price doesnt always win out. 

But hey, at least Amazon has second place at just over 7% . Certainly doing better than Samsung at a dismal 4%. Winning. And then you have the Nexus, which everyone (well, maybe Google fans) was shrieking would take a big slice of Apple's pie, being the best Android tablet and all,  at an earth shattering 1.7%,  the market share equivalent to a rounding error. I guess the mini pretty much stomped that product deep into the ground. 

This is the shit that matters, and the indicator for Apple's long term health and success. Not solely stock. I notice the jndc123 guy stays out of all threads with positive news, pretending that they don't exist, so he can safely continue on calling for Cook's head. 

post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Click, clickety click, click...

chirp..

Now that's funny! 1smile.gif that was one of stupidest (and annoying) commercials! I have yet to see a surface in the wild, never mind one where its owner is dancing and jumping over picnic tables! 1smile.gif Does anyone at MS have any taste?

Somebody at MS should have said, were not selling Montain Dew here! Sheez!
Edited by christopher126 - 4/18/13 at 7:42pm
post #24 of 29

Ah that's just more Android and Surface users changing there user agent to iPad because the web ist optimized for the iPad.

/s

post #25 of 29
Quote:

There are ways to argue the phone market, e.g., as I constantly post, I want a larger screen iPhone with more optional device and file access for those who want to turn it on, cellcos like pushing Android phones for their own reasons, a robust app market has grown up, Google has some good services (at the price of your demographic soul, but nonetheless), there are a ton of form factors, skins, keyboards (Swype is pretty cool, e.g.), etc...

...But Apple still - on merit and ecosystem - OWNS the tablet market by every relevant metric. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

This is a complete slaughter. Keep in mind that amazon is selling their tablets near or at cost, as a gateway to their services. Remember all the fear mongering when the new Kindles were shown off, and how so many were predicting the iPad was in big trouble because of the low prices? What do you know, people are still preferring to buy more expensive tablets (the iPad) so I guess price doesnt always win out. 

But hey, at least Amazon has second place at just over 7% . Certainly doing better than Samsung at a dismal 4%. Winning. And then you have the Nexus, which everyone (well, maybe Google fans) was shrieking would take a big slice of Apple's pie, being the best Android tablet and all,  at an earth shattering 1.7%,  the market share equivalent to a rounding error. I guess the mini pretty much stomped that product deep into the ground.

Given the stark app ecosystem differences there is NO rational reason to own an Android tablet - an original iPad offers more useful value than the latest Android.  The only possible exception is Amazon's fork - good for media consumption/general buying for Amazonians and good specs for the price. 

[The story also doesn't say if Kindle's part of Amazon's 7% - because that's basically a different beast with a good legit niche market for readers.  And is cheap enough to be many people's reading only second semi-tab.]

Windows is another story long-term because of the big business market (and their deep pockets).  If Windows 8.1 and RT 8.1 follow MS's historical pattern of "third time may not be the charm, but sucks a lot less," they will start to clean up the mess of the first release and the third release will be decent. 

• The pattern: DOS was crap through 3.1, same with Windows - no real uptake until 3.1.  Win 95 needed a rev or two (then stepped backwards with ME), Win XP took three service packs, and Vista was bailed out by Win 7.  The only exception was Win NT for professional applications.  IT pros liked it right away still talk about it fondly.

And lots of IT people today are hoping that MS's tabs and phones become competitive and enterprise worthy.  MS is still (I believe) paying developers to port and write "Modern UI" apps. 

Full Office - along with hooks to the MS server and middleware infrastructure (most of which are also built into iPads - but not, I think, Androids) are another plus in the Enterprise market's eye - and none of the competitors play in the server and middleware space.  So MS could claw their way to 10-20% of the US tab unit market in 3-5 years. And that might not be the ultimate ceiling - e.g., X-Box does well and MS is trying to extend features of that ecosystem to other devices - and the Apple exec suite could go through a period of instability. 

• A big Apple shakeup is not likely, but also not impossible. The current Apple product and management line-up is running on momentum already built - and so this year's product releases - and even more so, next year's - will tell the tale on whether post-Jobs Apple under the current team is still an execution and innovation machine.

But if Apple figures out where the puck is going by then and changes the game again, then my MS estimate will prove overly optimistic.  I do believe, though, that if not in phones, MS will remain at least competitive with Android tablets for the reasons already given.

10-20% is also about I think Android's upper limit (in tab $$ sales and as with phones maybe 20-33% of device share around the world based on limited incomes in many countries) in the same time frame unless Apple jumps the shark, Samsung (or HTC) has a useful original thought... ...or something else I'm missing.  I just don't hear about the true and competitive tab apps coming, there's no institutional constituency in the biz market, the cellcos have less incentive to push 'em, OS fragmentation, forking issues, etc.

So allowing for that (significant) growth in the competition would still leave Apple with around 50-60% unit share, 60-70% gross sales share and 70-80% profit share in the 2016-18 time frame.  Not to mention dominant sales and profits in the app market and maybe able to keep their lead in media sales - all with a cut for them. 

I think they can make a decent living on that - along with keeping growing PC marketshare in that shrinking segment, staying a major phone competitor, doing well in the living room and creating at least one more disruptive device. 

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #26 of 29
Quote:

looks like a rounding error to me.

post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

I'm surprised at the Blackberry Playbook numbers being even higher than the Xoom.  Or that could simply mean they're being used as personal devices more often.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The release of the iPad three years ago has had a brutal impact on conventional PC sales, but new data on tablet use shows that Apple is not just fending off tablet competitors, it's advancing on them.

Absolutely I would believe that the iPad is dominant in ad viewing in North America where Chitika does almost all their data collection.  

However, since Chitika reports are only about ad impressions (views), they do not reflect actual sales or ownership.  In fact, without knowing relative sales, the ad impression counts are fairly meaningless.  For example, what does the following chart show?  Without knowing how many of each were sold, it tells us nothing.

Chitika reports are mostly advertisements for their ad network.  They're saying, hey here's who will see your ads if you use us.

Edited by KDarling - 4/19/13 at 6:04am
post #28 of 29
Quote:

Shocked, my lord! Shocked!

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

post #29 of 29
Quote:

I don't know if they are or not, but if they were, how do you explain all of the Digitimes stories? Any sane stockholder would not reprint the crap that Digitimes spews.

Because posting both negative and positive stories can influence the stock. Especially since AI is "not quite" a news source, but more than some little anonymous blog.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple's iPad expands lead in tablet use at the expense of Amazon, Android, Microsoft Surface
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad expands lead in tablet use at the expense of Amazon, Android, Microsoft Surface