or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Volkswagen preps iPhone-integrated iBeetle for reveal next week
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Volkswagen preps iPhone-integrated iBeetle for reveal next week

post #1 of 52
Thread Starter 
Volkswagen is taking iPhone compatibility to new level, with plans to unveil next week the iBeetle, a version of its iconic brand with a built-in docking station and specialized app.

ibeetle


At the Shanghai Auto Show next week, Volkswagen will take the wraps off both the iBeetle and the iBeetle Convertible. The two models are scheduled to launch at the beginning of 2014 (via iLounge). The cars will be the first from the Volkswagen group to feature the iPhone as an integrated component.

Future Volkswagen iPhone compatibility will be accomplished through two means: as an app and through the iBeetle's built-in docking station. Plugging an iPhone into the docking station will allow users to take advantage of most of the features of the handset. Users will be able to use the iPhone to navigate, to make hands-free calls, listen to music, and more.

The Beetle app allows the iPhone to connect to the Beetle either with a docking station or wirelessly. Users can play tunes through Spotify and iTunes, have Facebook and iPhone message read aloud through the car's speakers, share their location as a digital postcard, and share photos taken within the car to social network. The app also gives the option to display vital stats of the Beetle, including a G-meter measuring lateral acceleration, oil and coolant temperature gauges for the engine, a chronometer, and a compass.

Volkswagen has not specified which models of iPhone the iBeetle dock will be compatible with. Including a built-in dock takes iPhone-integration a step further than most other automakers. While they may not be building in docks, a number of other major automakers are rolling out integration with Apple's "Eyes Free" Siri feature, allowing users to interact with their devices without taking their attention from the road. Earlier this year, Chevrolet became the first to debut models with Siri integration, rolling out its Sonic and Spark.
post #2 of 52

I hope they offer some kind of a retrofit kit for current VW owners...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #3 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Plugging an iPhone into the docking station will allow users to take advantage of most of the features of the handset
"Most of the features"?
So we lose some of the iPhone features by using it in the iBeetle dock?
Quote:
Users will be able to use the iPhone to navigate, to make hands-free calls, listen to music, and more.
And?
The iPhone already does all this without a dock.
post #4 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

"Most of the features"?
So we lose some of the iPhone features by using it in the iBeetle dock?
And?
The iPhone already does all this without a dock.

It's my understanding that the driver can use the built-in controls in the car to control the iPhone.
post #5 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post


"Most of the features"?
So we lose some of the iPhone features by using it in the iBeetle dock?
And?
The iPhone already does all this without a dock.


Why not wait and see what those lost features are until it comes out?  Jeez...  for all you know it may mean you can't use your headphone jack.

post #6 of 52

And in 5 years when that technology is no longer supported, the entertainment system will be rendered useless.

post #7 of 52

my VW's system with bluetooth already works great... why would I need a dock?  This is like a news story over having a place to sit your phone in your car on the dash...?  I guess it can be useful... I don't see how it could be a major selling point though.

post #8 of 52
Lame. I can already do all of this via Bluetooth in my Toyota Prius. People have been integrating their iPhones with their cars for 6 years already.
post #9 of 52

Wow.. seems like the every know-it-all is out here today.  I guess we can stop all future development of everything.  You guys have it all figured out... /s

post #10 of 52
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
my VW's system with bluetooth already works great... why would I need a dock?  This is like a news story over having a place to sit your phone in your car on the dash...?  I guess it can be useful... I don't see how it could be a major selling point though.
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post
Lame. I can already do all of this via Bluetooth in my Toyota Prius. People have been integrating their iPhones with their cars for 6 years already.

 

Without a mount (or dock), neither of you could possibly have all the same functions as it won't work well (or legally) to give you driving directions.  This would be why almost every GPS unit ever sold for cars actually attaches to the dashboard or windscreen.  If you are picking up your phone to look at the directions, you're "doing it wrong" and are a danger to everyone on the road.  

 

So … you're both full of it IMO.  

 

As someone else already said, why not actually wait to see what they announce?

post #11 of 52

Great! It's a start.

 

I won't even consider Fords because of the Window's "installed!"

post #12 of 52
Disgusting. They want to showcase their concept with a weak, foreign rehashed death trap. How about using a real American symbol of innovation- Charger, Cherokee SRT, anything like that!
post #13 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Great! It's a start.

I won't even consider Fords because of the Window's "installed!"

Although I am more excited about Apple's Eyes Free, Sync was ahead of the class for a long time. Ford sold a lot of vehicles because of the feature.
Edited by TBell - 4/22/13 at 5:43am
post #14 of 52

Totally against this. Now there are at last two displays competing for the attention of the driver taking his/her attention off of the road which is where it SHOULD BE. The more displays and gadgets in the car competing for the attention of the driver, the greater a safety risk that driver possesses to other motorists. I know some of you will argue against this, but the fact is that driving is what should be commanding the most attention of the person that is driving behind the wheel.  A number of states seem to agree with me.  Three examples:  Alaska, which has a law that "prohibits drivers from using electronic devices with a visual display while driving"; A Massachusetts law that "prohibits drivers from sending a text or instant message, use of electronic mail, Internet access, using a phone for GPS navigation, and all of the above on electronic devices including phones, laptops, pagers, or other hand-held devices", and New York, where "No person shall operate a motor vehicle while using any portable electronic device while such vehicle is in motion".  And before you reply, your argument lies not with me, but with the legislatures that create these laws, and with the State Police that are in charge of enforcing them.

 

Reference:

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texting_while_driving#Existing_laws

post #15 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

I guess you don't use banks or fly on airplanes or, umm, do almost anything.

Or go to the grocery store.
post #16 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

Disgusting. They want to showcase their concept with a weak, foreign rehashed death trap. How about using a real American symbol of innovation- Charger, Cherokee SRT, anything like that!

Any idea who owns the "real American symbol" Cherokee? lol.gif

post #17 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Any idea who owns the "real American symbol" Cherokee? lol.gif

I own a Jeep. Been around since 1911 and done many a job on many a continent. I'd dig a iPad Mini dock integration.
post #18 of 52
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Without a mount (or dock), neither of you could possibly have all the same functions as it won't work well (or legally) to give you driving directions.  This would be why almost every GPS unit ever sold for cars actually attaches to the dashboard or windscreen.  If you are picking up your phone to look at the directions, you're "doing it wrong" and are a danger to everyone on the road.  

 

So … you're both full of it IMO.  

 

As someone else already said, why not actually wait to see what they announce? 

 

You are totally missing the point, and reading too much into what has been said.  The story is about a built in dock and better support for specific phone functions.  What do you tell all the people with their built in docks right now in 3 year old cars with Apple 30 pin connectors?  When the functionality is already there in current systems, and you can add in a holder for your phone yourself... this doesn't seem like a big deal.  Its cool, but nothing major.

post #19 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

You have been around since 1911? And still keeping up with the latest technology? We are not worthy...

Yes, genius...
post #20 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

You are totally missing the point, and reading too much into what has been said.  The story is about a built in dock and better support for specific phone functions.  What do you tell all the people with their built in docks right now in 3 year old cars with Apple 30 pin connectors?  When the functionality is already there in current systems, and you can add in a holder for your phone yourself... this doesn't seem like a big deal.  Its cool, but nothing major.

Hoping for someone like Kenwood to make a drop in replacement that will include iPad Mini integration.
post #21 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

I own a Jeep. Been around since 1911 and done many a job on many a continent. I'd dig a iPad Mini dock integration.

Good for you. 

 

I guess you missed it, but I am just pointing out that Jeep is owned by an Italian company.

post #22 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Good for you. 

I guess you missed it, but I am just pointing out that Jeep is owned by an Italian company.

Not when I bought it. Stop being an ass. It's your choice.
post #23 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Alas, I hear the sense of humor is the first thing to go...

Sorry to hear yours has left.
post #24 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Not when I bought it. Stop being an ass. It's your choice.

Comprehension issues, huh?

 

Not surprised....

post #25 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Comprehension issues, huh?

Not surprised....

Still ass issues? Conistancy is your strong point.

The F'n vehicle is still designed and built (mostly) is the US. The brand is US or it wouldn't be worth a "group LLC" buying it. I don't see Apple rushing out to integrate with Hindustan.

Volkswagen is a good choice and the Audi connection should make it obvious.
Edited by ChristophB - 4/21/13 at 7:56pm
post #26 of 52

I actually agree, but in a different way. I wish ALL cars would start offering some type of docks, to accept iPhones, iPads, and even *gasp* androids, so we can bring our own. Only hardware needed is the docking mechanism, and the software to interface, can be in the phone, built by or for the manufacturer.

post #27 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkevwill View Post

I actually agree, but in a different way. I wish ALL cars would start offering some type of docks, to accept iPhones, iPads, and even *gasp* androids, so we can bring our own. Only hardware needed is the docking mechanism, and the software to interface, can be in the phone, built by or for the manufacturer.

I agree,

Rear camera, rear view mirror, proximity sensors, AM/FM radio, Sat Radio, MPx, Navigation, search, voice dial and messaging, vehicle firmware upgrade, emergency notification, lo-jack,external gps powered antennae, charging..

This is one of the next races and Apple being in control of the only non-frag OS and hardware gives them a great advantage.
Edited by ChristophB - 4/21/13 at 8:36pm
post #28 of 52

Bad Sunday, boys? 

 

So much grumpiness. 

post #29 of 52
Yeah, Jeep. That's a classy car. Their advertising is amazing!

"Get the new Jeep Amuurica with Freedom Drive and our new XenophobeTrack 4 wheel drive. You will totally forget how small your penis is once you put a 10" lift on it. Promise."

If you bought a car that isn't German or Japanese, you're doing it wrong.
post #30 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

my VW's system with bluetooth already works great... why would I need a dock?  This is like a news story over having a place to sit your phone in your car on the dash...?  I guess it can be useful... I don't see how it could be a major selling point though.

Yeah, that would be because it's not out yet, and you don'r know what t he **** it is yet. Any other questions??

post #31 of 52

I'm betting this is a Lightning dock which is a first I think.  I suppose it "adds" features that were lost to many systems when the iPhone 5 was used with the 30pin adapter.  But as others have said, let's wait and see what the real details are when these hit the road.

 

Here are some details: http://www.vwvortex.com/news/volkswagen-news/volkswagen-ibeetle-shanghai-auto-show/

post #32 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

And in 5 years when that technology is no longer supported, the entertainment system will be rendered useless.
This. It might be awesome now, but then what? I always buy used cars (dumb not to unless you're a millionaire- and even then- why?). So it's always outdated.
Nice sales gimmick though as most people won't think like you and I. I wish apple would get into the car market though- a bolt in radio that you can switch out annually with a plug (or every two years). Integrated of course. Talk About a gold mine- if only the car manufacturers would get on board with THAT.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #33 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

 

I guess you don't use banks or fly on airplanes or, umm, do almost anything.

I could have lived a bit longer without knowing THAT!

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #34 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post


This. It might be awesome now, but then what? I always buy used cars (dumb not to unless you're a millionaire- and even then- why?). So it's always outdated.
Nice sales gimmick though as most people won't think like you and I. I wish apple would get into the car market though- a bolt in radio that you can switch out annually with a plug (or every two years). Integrated of course. Talk About a gold mine- if only the car manufacturers would get on board with THAT.

Do you really think your car radio is welded into the dash? They are all bolted in... sheesh!

 

Cars in the past at one time or another were made to handle records, 8 track tapes and cassettes... all technology that's long gone in the current autos.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #35 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Great! It's a start.

 

I won't even consider Fords because of the Window's "installed!"

 

Mixed feelings: Having your ford stolen with your Windows phone inside. 

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #36 of 52
I would love to integrate my iPhone into my car using only Bluetooth. But if navigation features are used, wouldn't that eat through the battery charge pretty quick? This would require you to charge as you go, and I would prefer a dock of some kind rather than powerpoint adapter and cord. My dream system would allow me to deposit my iPhone in a dock, control it using Siri through a dedicated button on the steering wheel, and have my iPhone's display be mirrored in the factory installed screen on the dash.

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #37 of 52

Shouldn't the discussion be about : which dock this will support? WIll everyone with an iPhone/iPod older than the iPhone 5 require an adaptor to use the dock? Won't said adaptor greatly increase risk of breaking the dock due to extra stress on the original connector?

 

If the lifespan of this car is 8-10 years, do we have any idea if Apple will even support the dock on products in 8-10 years? It's one thing to drop $100 on a clock radio that loses functionality in 5 years, it's another to lose a central function of a car in that timespan.

 

And fwiw, Volkswagens haven't been any more reliable than american cars in about 25 years, Japanese cars of the last 15 years have had terrible QC issues (has nobody noticed how many recalls toyotas get?), and Jeep has been a turd of a brand basically forever. According to JD power, Volkswagen and Jeep have both been bottom-5 quality brands in the world for close to a decade now, although Volkswagen still has one of the best "brand perception" ratings in the world. Every Toyota not called Camry (one of the most reliable cars in the world for over a decade), is basically a turd, and they've had more recalls than any other manufacturer.

 

Problems per 100 vehicles 2010:

 

 

• Lexus 71

• Porsche 94

• Lincoln 112

• Toyota 112

• Mercedes-Benz 115

• Buick 118

• Honda 119

• Acura 120

• Ram 122

• Suzuki 122

• Mazda 124

• Chevrolet 125

• Ford 127

• Cadillac 128

• Subaru 132

• BMW 133

• GMC 134

• Scion 135

• Nissan 137

• Infiniti 137

• Kia 140

• Hyundai 141

• Audi 147

• Volvo 149

• Mini 150

• Chrysler 153

• Jaguar 164

• Volkswagen 174

• Jeep 178

• Mitsubishi 178

• Dodge 190

• Land Rover 220

 

And the whole "buy american" bullshit when it comes to cars is just a big load of crap. The american auto industry has done everything it can to **** american workers for the past 3 decades - outsourcing as much work as possible to Mexico, China and Canada, destroying its american supplier network by going with chinese and eastern european parts, and then taking billions from taxpayers in bailout funds only to continue outsourcing labour and overpaying CEOs.

post #38 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

my VW's system with bluetooth already works great... why would I need a dock?  This is like a news story over having a place to sit your phone in your car on the dash...?  I guess it can be useful... I don't see how it could be a major selling point though.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Lame. I can already do all of this via Bluetooth in my Toyota Prius. People have been integrating their iPhones with their cars for 6 years already.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

 

What??? An iPhone (or any other device) is perfectly capable to give directions over bluetooth. If you want to look at the screen, then yes, a mount is useful, but most cars with that level of electronics support have their own GPS (mine is integrated with SiriusXM, so has real time traffic info -- I am guessing this is pretty common)  so this is a moot point.

 

Let's see you charge your phone over Bluetooth, if you are charging you plug into something, why not a dock?

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #39 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

Disgusting. They want to showcase their concept with a weak, foreign rehashed death trap. How about using a real American symbol of innovation- Charger, Cherokee SRT, anything like that!
 

Nah mate I'll stick with an Aussie Ford

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #40 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv
I guess you don't use banks or fly on airplanes or, umm, do almost anything.

 

Originally Posted by TBell View Post
Or go to the grocery store.
 
    

 

 

 

 
 
 
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Volkswagen preps iPhone-integrated iBeetle for reveal next week