or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple donates $8M to Chinese earthquake recovery efforts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple donates $8M to Chinese earthquake recovery efforts

post #1 of 37
Thread Starter 
In response to a powerful earthquake in the city of Ya'an, China, Apple has pledged $8 million to aid in recovery from the disaster.

China


The company updated its website in China on Monday with a note acknowledging the quake, which occurred in the Sichuan province. A machine translation reveals that the note tells visitors that Apple officials offer their "deepest condolences" over the disaster.

The company also separately issued a press release in which it revealed it would donate $8 million U.S. to the victims. The company's full statement follows:

In this difficult time, our hearts are with the victims of the Sichuan earthquake closely linked in addition to the form of cash donations to help the affected people to tide over their difficulties, we are also committed to the new Apple device as part of the disaster area schools, Apple employees at any time in the local stand-by to help.



The Ya'an earthquake occurred on Saturday, with the epicenter in Lushan County, which is about 72 miles from Chengdu. The quake had a magnitude of 7.0.

So far, 186 people are confirmed dead, with more than 10,000 injured.
post #2 of 37
One way to buy goodwill with the Chinese I guess.
post #3 of 37
WS spin: iDevice sales struggling prompting Apple to bribe the Chinese with goodwill.
post #4 of 37

This is only going to get far worse in the future.

 

I expect a lot of apologies and bowing from Apple to the authoritarian Chinese govt in the years ahead, as Apple tries to make inroads into that place.

post #5 of 37
God, I hope SOME of it gets through to the victims...
"That’s brilliant. I can see this annoying some people, but what doesn’t these days?" - PMZ
Reply
"That’s brilliant. I can see this annoying some people, but what doesn’t these days?" - PMZ
Reply
post #6 of 37

They had better be careful.  They are going to be held liable for ANY and ALL actions that come from the use of their donated money. I can see the headlines now, "Apple sued by Chinese earthquake victims due to ....insert ridiculous reason here"

post #7 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post

They had better be careful.  They are going to be held liable for ANY and ALL actions that come from the use of their donated money. I can see the headlines now, "Apple sued by Chinese earthquake victims due to ....insert ridiculous reason here"

Right, because cautious non-involvement is always the best policy when disaster strikes. /s
 

china-earthquake.jpg

The article doesn't mention it but Samsung also donated several million to the relief efforts.


Edited by mstone - 4/22/13 at 11:32am

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #8 of 37

Some pretty cold judgemental responses. It looks like so much deaths and suffering do not count empathy a benefactor when happening far from home.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply
post #9 of 37

FWIW this is pretty awesome... as much as I enjoyed the products under Steve Jobs - Apple's attitude of corporate charity sucked under his leadership.

Say all you want haters... but Apple's $8M is way more than any of you guys have given toward this disaster.

 

Come on guys... 10,000 people hurt. 

post #10 of 37

Don't care how much money you donate Apple, it won't get you Goodwill and don't expect an end to future harassment by China's government!

/

/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #11 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

FWIW this is pretty awesome... as much as I enjoyed the products under Steve Jobs - Apple's attitude of corporate charity sucked under his leadership.

Say all you want haters... but Apple's $8M is way more than any of you guys have given toward this disaster.

 

Come on guys... 10,000 people hurt. 

 

Why would anyone hate this gesture?  It may or may not be calculated.  Who cares?  People desperately in need will be helped.  Kudos to everyone volunteering and helping in any form.

post #12 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post

They had better be careful.  They are going to be held liable for ANY and ALL actions that come from the use of their donated money. I can see the headlines now, "Apple sued by Chinese earthquake victims due to ....insert ridiculous reason here"

 

When has that ever happened?

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #13 of 37
$8m for the Chinese yet no public statement I'm aware of or charitable contribution to those affected by the Boston bombing or Texas explosion. Nice of Apple to make this contribution to the Chinese during such a tragic natural disaster but ... it smells funny amid all the recent reports of anti-Apple forces in China.
post #14 of 37

"AAPL stock nose-dives even further as Apple carelessly spends it's remaining cash on hand, prompting doubt as to whether the company can even remain solvent in it's current state". Apple rumored to pull back from the consumer market and mobile industry, to focus it's limited resources on the enterprise server market"

post #15 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsarch View Post

$8m for the Chinese yet no public statement I'm aware of or charitable contribution to those affected by the Boston bombing or Texas explosion. Nice of Apple to make this contribution to the Chinese during such a tragic natural disaster but ... it smells funny amid all the recent reports of anti-Apple forces in China.

 

I'm sorry, but why and how the **** does Boston need donations? How is that even comparable AT ALL TO A NATURAL DISASTER?

 

Can you point me to the thousands dead and the massive loss of infrastructure in Boston? The suspects are dead/apprehended, and no doubt the injured are getting the best care possible- and- wait for it- are not starving to death.  It takes a special type of person to denigrate donation towards the thousands of victims of a natural disaster in an impoverished area that is a humanitarian crisis, because of some personal agenda in trying to imply favoritism. Apple has donated towards natural disasters numerous times in the past. 

 

Use your head next time, otherwise you run the risk of sounding like a complete bigot. Yes, the people being helped are Chinese. That seems to make you uncomfortable, because that's the only reason I can think of that you would resort to such an asinine analogy in order to attack the contribution. Pretty disgusting. 

post #16 of 37

I think this is wonderful. As a shareholder, I would have actually preferred that Apple donated a substantially bigger sum, say $100 million (~¢10 per share, less than 1/1500th of their cash pile).

 

Something like that would have not only blown them away, but the sheer value of the goodwill generated with a gesture like that -- in what is surely Apple's second-most important market (and most important supply base) -- would have been incalculable.

post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsarch View Post

$8m for the Chinese yet no public statement I'm aware of or charitable contribution to those affected by the Boston bombing or Texas explosion. Nice of Apple to make this contribution to the Chinese during such a tragic natural disaster but ... it smells funny amid all the recent reports of anti-Apple forces in China.

Wow. Disasters do sometimes bring out the worst in people, I guess.1hmm.gif

post #18 of 37
Awful tragedy. Good on Apple for being a good neighbor.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #19 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsarch View Post

$8m for the Chinese yet no public statement I'm aware of or charitable contribution to those affected by the Boston bombing or Texas explosion. Nice of Apple to make this contribution to the Chinese during such a tragic natural disaster but ... it smells funny amid all the recent reports of anti-Apple forces in China.

 

Regardless of the reasons, you have no say in how Apple decides to use their own money.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #20 of 37
Good for Apple.
post #21 of 37
I certainly hope mstone's intention with that picture was to bring focus to the horrific consequences of the disaster. All the other smartass worthless comments on this article should be deleted. Get it together people! Many died. Apple is just doing their civic duty as any important member of China's ecosystem should. Quit reading so much into it.
post #22 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landcruiser View Post

I certainly hope mstone's intention with that picture was to bring focus to the horrific consequences of the disaster. All the other smartass worthless comments on this article should be deleted. Get it together people! Many died. Apple is just doing their civic duty as any important member of China's ecosystem should. Quit reading so much into it.

Sorry, perhaps the picture is a bit too graphic although, I am optimistic that the child was alive based on the body language of the others in the photo. Nevertheless you are correct that my intention was to shock the ridiculously naive posters into realizing how serious the disaster is and that people are suffering while they make their snide remarks.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #23 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

This is only going to get far worse in the future.

I expect a lot of apologies and bowing from Apple to the authoritarian Chinese govt in the years ahead, as Apple tries to make inroads into that place.

So a company can operate in a country taking advantage of its lower pay and non-union workers to make cheap goods for you but when natural disaster occurs with hundreds dead and thousand injured the company shouldn't make some charitable contributions. You are one cold bastard mate.
post #24 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think this is wonderful. As a shareholder, I would have actually preferred that Apple donated a substantially bigger sum, say $100 million (~¢10 per share, less than 1/1500th of their cash pile).

Something like that would have not only blown them away, but the sheer value of the goodwill generated with a gesture like that -- in what is surely Apple's second-most important market (and most important supply base) -- would have been incalculable.

Psssst. Apple is a business, not a charity.
post #25 of 37
A feature that I would like over AI's forums is the possibility to vote down nonsensical or nauseous comments... Someday hopefully.
post #26 of 37

Samsung donated $9.7 Million.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #27 of 37
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post
Samsung donated $9.7 Million.

 

Why does anyone care?

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #28 of 37
Earthquake aid probably cares a great deal. Give Samsung some credit, it won't hurt you.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #29 of 37
"That’s brilliant. I can see this annoying some people, but what doesn’t these days?" - PMZ
Reply
"That’s brilliant. I can see this annoying some people, but what doesn’t these days?" - PMZ
Reply
post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Samsung donated 9.7 million?

 

Then we'd best thank Apple for creating the smartphone that Samsung copied to make that 9.7 million. 

 

Samsung has been around for decades, and has contributed towards China relief for many years before Apple made a smartphone.

 

Samsung helped many China villages build roads, improve farms, create schools.

 

Just as in the USA, Samsung helps sponsor "Project Hope", which helps with schools and computers for kids in poverty areas.

 

Samsung also cosponsors the "Samsung Light" program, which supports cataract surgery for 2,000 Chinese patients a year.

 

It's great that Apple is now involved in some charity under Tim Cook's leadership, but that does not require bashing other companies who've done it longer.

post #31 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

 

Samsung has been around for decades, and has contributed towards China relief for many years before Apple made a smartphone.

 

Samsung helped many China villages build roads, improve farms, create schools.

 

Just as in the USA, Samsung helps sponsor "Project Hope", which helps with schools and computers for kids in poverty areas.

 

Samsung also cosponsors the "Samsung Light" program, which supports cataract surgery for 2,000 Chinese patients a year.

 

It's great that Apple is now involved in some charity under Tim Cook's leadership, but that does not require bashing other companies who've done it longer.

 

Interesting.

 

Not a single one of those statements denied that Samsung had profited from Apple.

 

1wink.gif

"That’s brilliant. I can see this annoying some people, but what doesn’t these days?" - PMZ
Reply
"That’s brilliant. I can see this annoying some people, but what doesn’t these days?" - PMZ
Reply
post #32 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post
 

Not a single one of those statements denied that Samsung had profited from Apple.

 

As pointed out, all those charity projects were started years before Apple even started making the iPhone.

 

It also shouldn't have to be pointed out that Samsung produces a lot more things than just phones.

 

So it doesn't even make a good joke to claim that Samsung needed to copy Apple to do charity work.  More like the other way around, since Samsung's been doing it for years.  

 

The upshot is, all contributors deserved credit.  There was no call for the posters in this thread who attacked both Samsung AND Apple for being good neighbors.


Edited by KDarling - 4/24/13 at 5:52am
post #33 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

 

As pointed out, all those charity projects were started years before Apple started making the iPhone.

 

It also shouldn't have to be pointed out that Samsung makes a lot more things than just phones.

 

Your claim that Samsung needed Apple's help to contribute to charities was just false.

 

As I also pointed out, not a single one of those statements denied that Samsung had profited from Apple.

 

I'd love to see you provide some feedback or statistics on those links I provided.

"That’s brilliant. I can see this annoying some people, but what doesn’t these days?" - PMZ
Reply
"That’s brilliant. I can see this annoying some people, but what doesn’t these days?" - PMZ
Reply
post #34 of 37

"That’s brilliant. I can see this annoying some people, but what doesn’t these days?" - PMZ
Reply
"That’s brilliant. I can see this annoying some people, but what doesn’t these days?" - PMZ
Reply
post #35 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I'd love to see you provide some feedback or statistics on those links I provided.

 

Not interested in your thread hijack attempt.

 

This thread is about earthquake relief.

 

It also apparently is a good indicator of empathy levels vs. jaded views.  Just look back at the two kinds of responses.  One type in support of Apple, the other seeing it as an attempted China bribe and/or waste of Apple corporate money.


Edited by KDarling - 4/24/13 at 6:14am
post #36 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

 

Not interested in your thread hijack attempt.

 

This thread is about earthquake relief.

 

It also apparently is a good indicator of empathy levels vs. jaded views.  Just look back at the two kinds of responses.  One type in support of Apple, the other seeing it as an attempted China bribe and/or waste of Apple corporate money.

 

That's okay. I understand.

 

It's a hard position to defend.

 

I wouldn't try either.

"That’s brilliant. I can see this annoying some people, but what doesn’t these days?" - PMZ
Reply
"That’s brilliant. I can see this annoying some people, but what doesn’t these days?" - PMZ
Reply
post #37 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Right, because cautious non-involvement is always the best policy when disaster strikes. /s
 

china-earthquake.jpg

The article doesn't mention it but Samsung also donated several million to the relief efforts.

 

Maybe Amanda Palmer will write a poem of empathy towards the earthquake?

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple donates $8M to Chinese earthquake recovery efforts