or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Cook: Apple has surprises in the works for fall, all of 2014

Cook: Apple has surprises in the works for fall, all of 2014

post #1 of 73
Apple is gearing up for a year of product "surprises" starting this fall, according to CEO Tim Cook, who appeared to point to late 2013 as a time frame for when fans of the company can expect new devices.

cook

Cook appeared to point to the fall of 2013 as a time when consumers could expect new products from Apple. Continuing in Apple's tradition of near silence on forthcoming products, Cook gave no specifics, but the Apple head specifically mentioned "the fall and all of 2014" as a time to expect new products.

Pressed later in the call on the issue, Cook parried the question, saying that he didn't want to get too specific on Apple's product rollout schedule, but sticking to the fall pronouncement.

Apple, Cook said, has "a lot more surprises in the works."

Cook's comments would appear to throw cold water on the predictions of some outlets that Apple is close to releasing new models of its bestselling iPhone and iPad. Some even purport to have secured components and casings from such devices.

A fall release for a new iPhone, for instance, would be in somewhat in keeping with the company's near-yearly rollout schedule for that device. Still, though, some have assumed that, in order to address competition from other manufacturers, Apple might move to a more aggressive update schedule for not only its iPhone, but also its iPad.

Cook also addressed the reality of Apple's stock performance as of late, apparently taking issue with Wall Street.

"We know [we] didn't meet everyone's expectations," Cook said before the call moved on to discuss Apple's financial particulars. Cook seemed to be referring to Wall Street analysts, who have been down on Apple in light of the appearance of slowing profit growth and increasing competition.

"[It] has been very frustrating to all of us," Cook admitted, referring to the disappointing performance of Apple shares on the market. "But Apple remains very strong, and we will continue to do what we do best. We can't control items such as exchange rates and world economy."

The bruising Apple's stock has taken since peaking above $700 last year hasn't left Cook unscathed. Recent weeks have seen a campaign against Cook spring up seemingly out of nowhere, with some observers having decided the supply chain manager-turned-CEO was the wrong choice to lead one of the world's most valuable companies.

Cook said that, while Apple's share price might not be fully within the company's control, Apple's existing product pipeline, the strength of its ecosystem, and the potential for new product categories meant the company is on a solid path.

"The most important objective for Apple," Cook explained, "is developing innovative products."

The Apple chief then went on to cite encouraging figures in the smartphone market, with IDC estimating 1.4 billion units sold annually in the coming years. The tablet market, which Cook has called "the mother of all markets," is estimated to hit 375 million units by 2016.
post #2 of 73
"Apple, Cook said, has 'a lot more surprises in the works.'"

But no promise of whether these will be good or bad surprises. 1smile.gif
post #3 of 73
Apple always says this. I guess we all just need to exercise patience.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #4 of 73
I wanted to hear, "Two part question, Mr. Cook. It's been 8 months since Apple has held an event. What I want to know is: WTF? And: seriously... WTF?"

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #5 of 73
I am on Tim Cook's side. He is a stabilizing influence for Apple, reorganizing the management group into an effective, coordinating whole. He and the team continue producing/refining excellent products. Cook and the Management Team should ignore Wall Street. They are myopic, focusing on the short-term, confusing correlation for causal assessment.

I am an applied econometrician with an understanding of open-economy macroeconomics.

Sam S., Ph.D.
post #6 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

"Apple, Cook said, has 'a lot more surprises in the works.'"

But no promise of whether these will be good or bad surprises. 1smile.gif

For those with a negative outlook there will always be negative surprises...
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
post #7 of 73

"the fall and all of 2014"

So, a couple/few of incremental updates to existing products in 2013 and pipeline mania as far as the eye can see.

It is what it is, but like SolipsismX above, I would like to see some kind of events on at least a 6 month interval if only keep people's attention and push existing products/technologies. A little evangelism is in order.

post #8 of 73
Do we really need something new every 6 mos or a year? What do you want your computer to do for you - make your breakfast, pick up your clothes from the cleaners? Nobody has to read a map anymore, talk in person to someone, call a friend etc. We are all becoming shells due to technology and we keep asking for more. And no, I'm not a luddite, just someone who can actually do things without my computer, phone, tablet and all the other gadgets.

And can everyone really afford to keep buying new tech every 6 mos or year? What a waste of money and resources.
post #9 of 73
Timmy - please keep it up! You need to be little bit more like Steve. I think Tim is very close to telling Wall Street and its analysts - "Go F yourself - Let us do what we do best not only in technology side but also in how we manage our money"
post #10 of 73
I think Apple has forgotten that they actually make software.

Pages, Numbers, and iPhoto haven't seen any major upgrades in almost 5 years.

OS X's Mail, Contacts, Calendars haven't had any major new features or bug fixes in about the same amount of time.

Not to mention that Apple silently discontinued 2 of our all-time favorite apps, iDVD and iWeb.

Apple is really faltering on the software front!
post #11 of 73

I think Apple is working on something that will amaze. Even a company of Apple's size has limitations on its resources. Lack of recent product updates might mean they are all working something else. 1wink.gif

post #12 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post

"the fall and all of 2014"

So, a couple/few of incremental updates to existing products in 2013 and pipeline mania as far as the eye can see.

It is what it is, but like SolipsismX above, I would like to see some kind of events on at least a 6 month interval if only keep people's attention and push existing products/technologies. A little evangelism is in order.

I believe he was talking manly about "physical things", hardware.

Maybe the next months will be all about software.

post #13 of 73
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post
[post]

I guess asking how you feel now based on what you said earlier is irrelevant, huh.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #14 of 73
Isn't saying Apple will have new products in the 2nd half of 2013 and in 2014 about the same as saying the sun will rise in the east?
post #15 of 73
I think the biggest surprise of all is that we were supposed to get a redesigned MacPro in April or May. Wonder if that's no longer going to happen until Fall?
post #16 of 73
Originally Posted by lmac View Post
I think the biggest surprise of all is that we were supposed to get a redesigned MacPro in April or May.

No, we weren't "supposed" to get that.

post #17 of 73
The OP questioned, "Do we really need something new every 6 mos or a year? What do you want your computer to do for you - make your breakfast, pick up your clothes from the cleaners?" For the iWork suite, I guess we can contextualize your question and ask, "Do we really need new software every 3 or 4 years?" Yes, it has been that long. And though Keynote is a robust application (still outclassing PowerPoint in my view), Pages and Numbers lack any real parity with the MS offering. For several features necessary for the enterprise setting, we have not been able to rely on those two.

Similarly, as technology in photography has advanced, and as Digital SLRs have become ubiquitous, we rely on applications like Aperture for RAW image management. Aperture 3 was released three years ago. There have been updates, but important features such as perspective correction (needed when correcting distortion that typically results from shooting with some very wide angle lenses) have not been added. In the meantime, Adobe is on a roll with Lightroom, meeting and exceeding photographers' requirements.

Fall may not seem a long time way. But for photographers, by fall, Adobe will release LR5 and the few of us who remain as users of Aperture (with a dwindling support bases), would have probably made the switch.

The issue is not 6 months or 1 year. In some cases, it's closer to 3 or 4 years.
post #18 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

Timmy - please keep it up! You need to be little bit more like Steve. I think Tim is very close to telling Wall Street and its analysts - "Go F yourself - Let us do what we do best not only in technology side but also in how we manage our money"

Seems to me that changing up the schedule in such a radical way and not doing something every quarter to impress the analysts is telling them exactly that.

Apple is doing things Apple's way, get over it

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #19 of 73
Quote:

I think the biggest surprise of all is that we were supposed to get a redesigned MacPro in April or May.

Apple never said that.

post #20 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by samosAI View Post

I am an applied econometrician with an understanding of open-economy macroeconomics.

Sam S., Ph.D.

Wow. You don't say.
post #21 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanne101 View Post

Do we really need something new every 6 mos or a year? What do you want your computer to do for you? We are all becoming shells due to technology and we keep asking for more.

And can everyone really afford to keep buying new tech every 6 mos or year? What a waste of money and resources.

This is advice for how people (could or should) live, not for a technology company. I completely agree with the every-6-months idea. Get a hold of "the conversation" about their company - their products and their future.

Get to it Apple. As a person that has been using Apple products since the late 80's - I didn't despair when their stock was below $20 and don't despair now.

post #22 of 73
Fall Quarter is WWDC. Winter Quarter is Back to School. Fiscal is different than calendar quarters.
post #23 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I wanted to hear, "Two part question, Mr. Cook. It's been 8 months since Apple has held an event. What I want to know is: WTF? And: seriously... WTF?"

I'd love to see Apple move to a 2-events-later-in-the-year every year strategy.
post #24 of 73

I like this approach. Cook just shook up the top level and Apple had a couple poor releases recently. I think it is very wise to get everyone working together and focused on perfect executions before releasing anything else. I don't want more delayed products after launch (iMac) or products launched in beta (Siri) or products launched before they are ready for the public (maps). 

Just take the needed time to level set the product roadmap and get the team working together. 

post #25 of 73
Quote:

I think the biggest surprise of all is that we were supposed to get a redesigned MacPro in April or May. Wonder if that's no longer going to happen until Fall?

Like was said above June starts the fall Q3 for Apple.When pressed on whether apple would release all the new stuff this fall and nothing this summer Cook told Katey Huberty, he would not give specific release dates out and that there were a lot of "new" and exciting things that were ahead.  So my guess would be Mac Pro at the developers conference in June and iPhone and iPad, iPod this This September.

post #26 of 73
I love how everyone bitched last year because of all the leaks and that there were no surprises and now this year people are bitching because there's no news. They don't want leaks but they want to know what Apple is up to. With some of the issues Apple had last year I have a feeling the mantra from Cook this year is we'll release products when they're ready and not a minute before. When Ive says Apple's goal isn't about making money this is what he's talking about. And Oppenheimer mentioned it on the call - Apple is focused on the long term, not short term profits. Wall Street might not like that answer but Apple' basically saying we don't care.
post #27 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

I like this approach. Cook just shook up the top level and Apple had a couple poor releases recently. I think it is very wise to get everyone working together and focused on perfect executions before releasing anything else. I don't want more delayed products after launch (iMac) or products launched in beta (Siri) or products launched before they are ready for the public (maps). 

Just take the needed time to level set the product roadmap and get the team working together. 
I agree. And clearly these guys aren't sitting on their hands doing nothing. Getting things right is more important than getting something out there just for the sake of it. But it's added pressure as now people are going to expect a lot more than just incremental updates.
post #28 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I agree. And clearly these guys aren't sitting on their hands doing nothing. Getting things right is more important than getting something out there just for the sake of it. But it's added pressure as now people are going to expect a lot more than just incremental updates.

I think Apple has been overwhelmed by the iPhone and iPad that they have seriously neglected their software. iWork, iLife, Pro Apps, Mail, etc. have all gone without updates in quite a while and the OS and iOS needs some polish (but not major updates). I acknowledge they are concentrating on the technology that is hot at the moment, which is understandable to an extent. 

If I was to have a say, and I acknowledge I don't, I would like to see Hardware Updates one year and Software Updates the next with the exception of new tech. This will put everything on a every other year cycle. Probably not aggressive enough for investors. The funny thing is that investors will bark at only tweaking the camera or CPU every other cycle without realizing there are only so many lightning strikes a product family can have. Seriously, how often do people expect Apple to reinvent the smart phone? From what I read, it sounds like every year. 

If Apple wants to appear as if each release is heaps above the last, they need to cut out the incremental releases. 

post #29 of 73
Just another reason to love the fall in addition to football season. : )
post #30 of 73

If Apple wants to appear as if each release is heaps above the last, they need to cut out the incremental releases. 

The computers only got two updates a year anyway. I'm not so sure that should stop. If newly clocked chips are out, update to them. That's what Apple has always done. *shrug* No new GPU needed, no major changes in RAM or HDD unless margins would make it appealing… 

post #31 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The computers only got two updates a year anyway. I'm not so sure that should stop. If newly clocked chips are out, update to them. That's what Apple has always done. *shrug* No new GPU needed, no major changes in RAM or HDD unless margins would make it appealing… 

I agree, but new CPUs would not warrant a product release increment (4 to 4s) and could just be incorporated into the product. My point really was that you don't need big fanfare to release minor updates. Just let them happen and hit the stage with real, meaningful updates that wow the audience. 

post #32 of 73
Unless you're in denial, this situation isn't a surprise.
What I'm more concerned about is how I've seen a declination in the quality of their stuff. It's still rediculously better than the competition, it's far from the near-perfection I've grown used to. Every MacOS update brings more pinwheels (16GB RAM MBP 2013), iPhones have a new 'Gate every release, iPhoto STILL sucks, etc. apple's QC has been quietly dying off as far as I'm concerned.
post #33 of 73
Quote:

I agree, but new CPUs would not warrant a product release increment (4 to 4s) and could just be incorporated into the product. My point really was that you don't need big fanfare to release minor updates. Just let them happen and hit the stage with real, meaningful updates that wow the audience. 

So you want an update that doesn't increment? Doesn't add to the previous model? W... T... F?

Seriously? You think the only change between the iPhone 4 and 4S was the CPU? Where the **** do you people come from? Does Samsung really pay that much to shill forums?¡

post #34 of 73
Surprise me, Timmy. Update that hoary old Mac Pro before it becomes a museum piece.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #35 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by samosAI View Post

Sam S., Ph.D.

I fart econometricians...

post #36 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Fall Quarter is WWDC. Winter Quarter is Back to School. Fiscal is different than calendar quarters.

I've never heard June being described as part of fall.

Spring = March, April, May.
Summer = June, July, August.
Fall/Autumn = September, October, November.
Winter = December, January, February.

I think it was quite apparent most of the product updates would be pushed back to September. Intel won't have the Ivy Bridge EP Xeon until the 3rd calendar quarter, which starts in July (Summer) but likely won't launch until IDF in September (which will be at the Moscone Center in San Francisco). The GT3 models of the lower-end processors have been pushed back too. The PowerVR 6 Rogue quad-core graphics are the same.

The only hardware that should be available to launch in June is the 15" Macbook Pro Haswell and the iMac chips. If they keep the low-end Mini, that can't get updated until the 35W chips come out. The iMacs aren't near the end of their product cycle either - it wouldn't be good that people just got their brand new one in March and then have a new one in June.

While the 15" MBP can be updated, the 13" can't be so unless they updated them separately, they all get pushed back. I think they should update the 15" in June and cut the prices down. Even if the 13" stays as is, worst case, it drives people to the higher value machines until September.

We'll probably be seeing iOS 7 and possibly OS X 10.9 at WWDC so that's something I suppose. Application software updates really would have been a nice way to fill the gaps like new Aperture etc. You sort of wonder what the team at HQ is actually doing for such a long time. Obviously the retail staff keep the rollout going but what does Ive do between launches?
post #37 of 73
Apple should spend even more money buying back their stock rather than giving it to people who own their stock. The less stock on the market, the less Apple has to respond to these short-term jump-on-someone-else's hard work idiots that make up most of the financial industry. How completely short-sited selfish most analysts and fund managers are.
post #38 of 73
I think it will take them until the fall to get the fingerprint reader under the home button right. And it will be worth the wait, rather than pushing it off another whole year in their product cycle. Then what are the competitors going to do when Apple can authenticate without a password and securely to every app and service.
post #39 of 73
My point really was that you don't need big fanfare to release minor updates. Just let them happen and hit the stage with real, meaningful updates that wow the audience. 

Not sure I understand that first part, but I agree with this. There's no reason for an event for a spec bump, but if there's a new case design, a new software feature tied to that hardware, or something special about the new processor family that they want to highlight, by all means have an event.

I wonder just how much Haswell will actually improve battery life… They claimed 24 hours on machines with ULP CPUs, but that was… hoo boy… what, 2011 when they said that?

post #40 of 73
The only surprise I want to hear is: "Hey, you know what? We bought Yahoo!".
lvidal.-
lvidal.-
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Cook: Apple has surprises in the works for fall, all of 2014