or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Reviewers find Samsung's Galaxy S4 to be a solid performer, but not revolutionary

Reviewers find Samsung's Galaxy S4 to be a solid performer, but not revolutionary - Page 2

post #41 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post

they went a little overboard with features for the sake of features. 

New feature don't hurt: don't like em don't use them. At least Samsung pushes boundaries of how we interact with a phone.

The S4 is a major upgrade unlike 4S. The S4 has thinned lighter body, bigger screen and bigger battery. A different resolution and pixel structure from S3. 

Who made a 'revolutionary' phone in the last couple of years anyway?

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

post #42 of 56
Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post
At least Samsung pushes boundaries of how we interact with a phone.

*snicker*

The S4 is a major upgrade unlike 4S.

*snort*

Apple.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
post #43 of 56

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 7/23/13 at 2:33pm
post #44 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Where in that post did he "bash Apple"?

Yours was a mistake common to these forums:  when criticizing AppleInsider, folks rush to defend it as though it's an attack on Apple, when in fact it frequently (as was the case here) is not.

Tip:  AppleInsider feeds Google's coffers (ad server), not Apple's.  Consider your allegiances and defenses accordingly.

Point taken on him bashing AI in this instance.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #45 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

I think a lot of us would agree with you.

In the past, the limiting factors have been more along the lines of affordable processors, memory, displays, and wireless connections.  The next big leap could very well be in power storage.

It would be especially necessary if someone really wants to do a smartwatch that people are expected to wear day and night.

Blah... so close. I wanted someone to say the next big leap could be the leap home (or the leap phone, if they made a phone called that I would buy it just for the reference). The one thing I really dislike with the review is how they equate plastic to build quality. The engadget review mentions faux chrome, which sounds kind of cheesy. i don't think there's anything special about aluminum though. Machined is likely stronger than something mold cast, but not going into detail beyond "it's plastic" is just lazy journalism.

post #46 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Eleven View Post

For me concerning the HTC One and Samsung S3/S4, I don't understand the "Omgz Aluminum & Polycarbonate" debate. My iPhone spends 99% of its time in a case, to the uneducated the thing could be made of plastic lol. I guess if you didn't use a case I could see the issue though.....I just can't imagine not using a case to protect my phone.

My iPhone 5 spends 100% of its time outside of a case. It's not beat up or anything. FYI. It can be done, if you are careful.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #47 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

This can be a nice mid-range phone, if priced accordingly. Still, the Nexus 4 looks better because of the software and better screen and design.

I hope Samsung have the decency to price it lower than the Nexus, so they don't end up just selling for the millions of ignorants and retards of this world.

If they have a screen that only has a place on a 200 dollar phone, a build construction and design that pales to the xperia J, "extra" software and skin that brings android closer to froyo, why try to fool people instead of pricing it accordingly? 250, no contract and they can still have a healthy profit to pay for the xerox printers and lawyers.

The S4?

They're pricing it in line with the iPhone 5.....

"Sprint is charging $250 for the 16 gigabyte model on a two- year contract, while AT&T (T) is charging $200 and Verizon (VZ) Wireless, which isn’t launching the phone immediately, hasn’t yet set a price. T-Mobile (DTE), which is doing away with the practice of subsidizing the cost of phones, is charging $630 but isn’t requiring a two-year service commitment."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-24/samsung-stumbles-with-galaxy-s4-phone-rich-jaroslovsky.html

Edited by jfc1138 - 4/24/13 at 3:49pm
post #48 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Blah... so close. I wanted someone to say the next big leap could be the leap home

Is that a Quantum Leap reference? 1biggrin.gif

post #49 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'd love to know the percentage of smartphone users that want/need/use these "advanced" features (that require an easy mode for us dumb folks). I'm sure a large percentage of those commenting on Engadget, the Verge, etc. do but what percentage are they of the total smartphone market?

Could be Samsung went hog wild with all these features, which some reviewers are calling gimmicks, because otherwise it would just be a new phone with a faster processor and better camera, which would garner a collective ho hum in the tech press.

Probably why Samsung included a way to turn all those features OFF in one move: "easy mode". Returning it to a phone people could actually use.

post #50 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Where in that post did he "bash Apple"?

Yours was a mistake common to these forums:  when criticizing AppleInsider, folks rush to defend it as though it's an attack on Apple, when in fact it frequently (as was the case here) is not.

Tip:  AppleInsider feeds Google's coffers (ad server), not Apple's.  Consider your allegiances and defenses accordingly.

LOL. I don't think Solips is "defending" this site. I wouldn't. It is not affiliated with Apple. And for the most part, it is so ad laden, DigiTimes-repeating, and click-baited up that it shouldn't be taken as anything but an amusing distraction. I'm surprised anyone from Apple, Inc visits this site (they do, if the server log claims are to be believed).

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #51 of 56
Quote:

eature don't hurt: don't like em don't use them. At least Samsung pushes boundaries of how we interact with a phone.

High praise for a company who prior to the iPhone's success, did nothing of the sort. I'm sure they appreciate your perception that "kitchen sinking" equates to "pushing boundaries."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #52 of 56
Well, the S4 brought you a faster processor, however everything else is of lower value(to me) giant screen enjoyer s can enjoy however.
post #53 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Why bother posting an article to bash a competitors phone. Go out and buy one and review it your self rather then picking through other reviews for the negatives.

I think it is very reasonable article. If I'd be looking for Android phone, likes of HTC One and Sony Xpertia Z. S4 looks too much like S3, and even S3 wasn't the best looking Android in it's generation. It will sell well because it still is decent device and it has Samsung badge on it, but was it released by LG or some other manufacturer with lower exposure than Samsung, it would be considered mush less remarkable even among Android fans, IMHO.
post #54 of 56

I'd agree with the assessment of the S4.  There's plenty of Android phones I'd rather have, the HTC One, LG Optimus G Pro, Lenovo K900.  But the S4 will probably sell lots because Samsung has the marketing budget and every retailer in their back pocket...

post #55 of 56
Quote:

New feature don't hurt: don't like em don't use them. At least Samsung pushes boundaries of how we interact with a phone.

The S4 is a major upgrade unlike 4S. The S4 has thinned lighter body, bigger screen and bigger battery. A different resolution and pixel structure from S3. 

Wait… "At least SAMSUNG pushes boundaries" (implying that Apple doesn't)??

Let's not forget who established the boundaries they are "pushing"… I remember how the Samsung catalog looked when iPhone released… it was NOT heading in the direction Apple and iPhone took the market.

S4 unlike 4S? But but, they used the same two characters in the name and everything! Why are you even comparing those two models? It's like, oops, just completely ignore the iPhone 4S -> iPhone 5 'major upgrade'? S4 (latest flagship device) compares to iPhone 5 (latest flagship device) or nothing, right?

Example:

Yes, the S4 presumably has a thinned(?), lighter body, bigger screen, bigger battery than the S3… 

Kind of how the iPhone 5 is thinner, lighter, and has a bigger screen and battery than the 4S… huh.

But you're saying the S4 is a 'major upgrade' while the iPhone 5 isn't...? huh.

I'd say, looking at the overall package that makes up an iPhone 5, that it's pretty 'revolutionary'… compared to my first iPhone, and even my current iPhone 3GS, the iPhone 5 has made huge strides in design refinements, display, graphics & cpu power, memory, cameras, and so on. And yet, all those older phones can run the same operating system. Revolutionary indeed.

How exactly is the S4 a 'revolutionary' jump or even "pushing the boundaries" compared to the S3?

post #56 of 56
Keep non-Apple stuff out of here. AI. The title alone made me laugh.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Reviewers find Samsung's Galaxy S4 to be a solid performer, but not revolutionary