or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple to kick off Worldwide Developers Conference on June 10 in San Francisco

Apple to kick off Worldwide Developers Conference on June 10 in San Francisco

post #1 of 80
Apple on Wednesday announced it will hold its annual Worldwide Developers Conference, where it has traditionally shown off the next version of its iOS mobile operating system, June 10 through 14 in San Francisco, Calif.

WWDC

As in previous years, the five-day conference will be held at San Francisco's Moscone West. The event will feature more than 100 technical sessions presented by more than 1,000 Apple engineers.

Tickets for this year's conference will go on sale Thursday, April 25, at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern. In years past, the event has sold out in a matter of minutes.

"We look forward to gathering at WWDC 2013 with the incredible community of iOS and OS X developers," said Philip Schiller, Apple?s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "Our developers have had the most prolific and profitable year ever, and we?re excited to show them the latest advances in software technologies and developer tools to help them create innovative new apps. We can?t wait to get new versions of iOS and OS X into their hands at WWDC."

In addition to technical sessions, the event will also include hands-on labs aimed at helping developers to integrate new technologies. The conference will also host the annual Apple Design Awards, which showcase some of the most outstanding applications available on the iOS and Mac App Stores.

The full list of activities at the 2013 conference, according to Apple, will include:
  • More than 100 technical sessions presented by Apple engineers on a wide range of topics for developing, deploying and integrating the latest iOS and OS X technologies
  • More than 1,000 Apple engineers supporting over 100 hands-on labs and events to provide developers with code-level assistance, insight into optimal development techniques and guidance on how they can make the most of iOS and OS X technologies in their apps
  • The latest innovations, features and capabilities of iOS and OS X, and how to enhance an app's functionality, performance, quality and design
  • The opportunity to connect with thousands of fellow iOS and OS X developers from around the world?last year more than 60 countries were represented
  • Engaging and inspirational lunchtime sessions with leading minds and influencers from the worlds of technology, science and entertainment
  • Apple Design Awards which recognize iPhone, iPad and Mac apps that demonstrate technical excellence, innovation and outstanding design
post #2 of 80
Thought the announcement might come today. Nice. 1smile.gif
post #3 of 80
Why the page's heading font size is sooo big.
post #4 of 80
Great! At least something new - although, it is seems it will 'only' be the expected new.
post #5 of 80
oooo .... news of Mac Pro. Start the rumor mills now! Surely there are some manufacturers breaking NDAs and photocopying plans, photographing parts or checking increases in orders for 52 core CPUs and matter transfer coils? Why is it the only espionage and leaking seems to be about iPhones and iPads these days ... sigh.
Edited by digitalclips - 4/24/13 at 5:47am
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Long on AAPL so biased
post #6 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We can?t wait to get new versions of iOS and OS X into their hands at WWDC."

Does this mean we get a glimpse of 10.9?

post #7 of 80
Just waiting for all the logo design analysis to see if it has any clues for ios 7 OS X 10.9. lol.gif
post #8 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Just waiting for all the logo design analysis to see if it has any clues for ios 7 OS X 10.9. lol.gif

I certainly hope so. Obviously, everything is getting colourful and translucent.

But seriously: I much more appreciate WWDC logo design analysis than talking too much about legal issues, Samsung, Windows, etc. I'm not against it, but primarily I enjoy to discuss news from Apple here - Apple products.

post #9 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

Does this mean we get a glimpse of 10.9?

That's got to be a yes. I assume we will see the start of the Jonification of OSX.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #10 of 80

"Obviously OS X is going to change every application's icon into a rounded square."

Seriously, if they do that, it's going to infuriate me. It works for fingertip-sized systems, but you lose so much character that way.

"The thin font means the MacBook Air will be center stage."

Despite it being a developer conference and having nothing to do with the MacBook Air.

Ah, wait a minute now…

A new Core Framework, perhaps? I know I've missed some, but those don't have icons. Or do they?

post #11 of 80
This could be one of the hallmark WWDC's ever for Apple!

Be prepared to be absolutely blown away! 1smoking.gif
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #12 of 80

Woooh. where do they sell tickets

post #13 of 80
I thought announcing WWDC today might help the stock a but but no it's down 3% pre-market. Clearly this is Wall Street saying Tim Cook sucks. Jim Cramer on CNBC called yesterday's conference call a "train wreck". And all they did the first 10 minutes of Squak on the Street was bash Apple management. Sigh. 1hmm.gif
post #14 of 80

Guys,

I compared the same AI article on WWDC 2012 announcement and this one.

This year has one more bullet point of activity:

The latest innovations, features and capabilities of iOS and OS X, and how to enhance an app's functionality, performance, quality and design

Maybe we will see something different this year.

post #15 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJC94512 View Post

The latest innovations, features and capabilities of iOS and OS X, and how to enhance an app's functionality, performance, quality and design

iCloud - IOS - OSX - confluence

post #16 of 80
Quote:

Oh my God... they are close to Window Metro tile interface colors. :s

post #17 of 80

Have they pre-announced ticket sales in the past? I seem to remember just waking up one day last year and finding out they were already sold out.

post #18 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

Have they pre-announced ticket sales in the past? I seem to remember just waking up one day last year and finding out they were already sold out.

Yup.

Anyone else going? Or going to try and go?

post #19 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJC94512 View Post

Guys,

I compared the same AI article on WWDC 2012 announcement and this one.

This year has one more bullet point of activity:

Quality and design ... We will see Jony Ive's hand, particularly pertaining to iOS. The word on the street is that it will blow people away.

post #20 of 80
Quote:

If you turn your head clockwise to the left and look at overlapping D and C in WWDC... it's a human with zigzag legs. lol.gif

post #21 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Quality and design ... We will see Jony Ive's hand, particularly pertaining to iOS. The word on the street is that it will blow people away.

On what street? Are there streets in Cupertino with actual people on them, people not in cars?

There's one street in New York I don't have any use for.
post #22 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Oh my God... they are close to Window Metro tile interface colors. :s

I know you're being sarcastic, but it's worth pointing out that they are exactly not MS Metro colors. Microsoft was going for colorful and cheerful, but ended up with kitchen appliance and institutional. Squares trying to be hip, in other words.

These WWDC icon colors are transparent candy colors. They had a name for similar colors back in the original iMac days. What were they called?
post #23 of 80
Finally an event this year !!! We are 7 months without any event, now it's time for something Big.
Like a new design of MbA maybe with retina or maybe iPhone or iPad or MacPro or super new Mac-books with haswells and 10 h battery life..... Possibilities are endless ! Rumor mill is going to burn hot from this
post #24 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

On what street? Are there streets in Cupertino with actual people on them, people not in cars?

Did you actually say something, or just trying in vain once again to find a backdoor to mock something you neither understand nor appreciate, never mind being a part of?

post #25 of 80
Wonder if we'll get some future product clues from WWDC? The post below claims claims the lull right now is the calm before the storm.

http://macdailynews.com/2013/04/24/apple-preparing-to-unleash-a-blizzard-of-new-products-says-source/#comments
post #26 of 80
Quote:

But that one street in NY could give a shit less about iOS and UI design. 1hmm.gif
post #27 of 80
No! So much better and with taste and class unlike Windows metro!

I'm unfortunate enough to have Windows 8 in Boot Camp so I should know...
post #28 of 80
It's nice having something to look forward I know we won't see hardware but after the conference hearing about all the beta versions and such it gets exciting. I'm fine with waiting until things are done right .
post #29 of 80
Quote:

These WWDC icon colors are transparent candy colors. They had a name for similar colors back in the original iMac days. What were they called?

Good memory!  Those were called "Funtastic" colors. Like "Bondi Blue".

However, these new icon colors look more like AMOLED to me.

j/k  1biggrin.gif

post #30 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Good memory!  Those were called "Funtastic" colors. Like "Bondi Blue".

j/k  1biggrin.gif

That would be great if they can make a nice AMOLED screen!

Now that would be innovation, the first AMOLED screen worth of being considered "high end".

post #31 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

I wonder why they went with Roman numerals. There is another company that does that:

post #32 of 80

They go with Roman numerals in OS X, so maybe expect that to be prominent ( or upgrade to XI?)

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #33 of 80
Hmm...there is alot going on here. I think what we are looking at is the transparency of apps, meaning they will be open or "transparent" to use in conjunction with Siri. I think Siri will come out of beta also and be much more improved. I think that Apple TV will be "opened" up to an app ecosystem and developers will begin the phase of creating apps for Apple TV, which in turn will prepare them for the full fledged Apple iTV, which we will see either in the fall or in 2014. The app icons themselves will have a "flattened" look due to Sir Jony Ive's design process. I think overall iOS 7 will be much more cleaner looking and modern. I also believe airplay will be beefed up in a new way as well. I think some sort of sharing features and more social integration MIGHT have something to with iOS 7 since the WWDC logo appears to have all of the apps connected or one with each other.
post #34 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I wonder why they went with Roman numerals. There is another company that does that:

Actually every TV-company uses Roman numerals (American and British). You can check end of any TV-show
post #35 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

They go with Roman numerals in OS X, so maybe expect that to be prominent ( or upgrade to XI?)

Last year's invite had a few elements common with this one but they changed the year notation and no Apple logo:

I don't remember the colored squares linking with anything they did last year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1934990.stm

"Perhaps one of the most notable areas where people are likely to come across Roman numerals is in TV and film credits, where the convention is not to spell out what year something was made.

It is a convention which has extended even to BBC News Online - witness the MMII at the bottom of this page.

The practice is believed to have started in an attempt to disguise the age of films or television programmes. In other words, the opposite of claiming an undeserved antiquity."

They also mention the association with clocks:

post #36 of 80

OH FOR THE LOVE OF. lol.gif

post #37 of 80
I would like to add to my reasoning behind my previous comment. The WWDC does look like the screen of a TV. I am pushing towards Apple TV getting updated in a major way and opening the door for apps designed for a TV interface and ecosystem. I think it would be a very clever way to turn the public eye towards Apple TV and the idea of Apple having a HDTV. Tim Cook said not to expect "new" products until the fall. Apple TV is out and an update would fit in with what has been said.
post #38 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:

OH FOR THE LOVE OF. lol.gif

Obvious really, I think this invite proves beyond a shadow of doubt they are making an OLED TV that you control with a colored watch. They have enough colors so everyone in the family gets a different colored watch and the TV knows who is who. When you need to program a show, you need to know when it's on so you use the watch. They'll call it iWatchTV.
post #39 of 80
Originally Posted by Abobrek View Post
The WWDC does look like the screen of a TV.

From 20 years ago.

post #40 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

From 20 years ago.
Actually it does look like appleTV itself (current and previous gen)
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple to kick off Worldwide Developers Conference on June 10 in San Francisco