or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple to kick off Worldwide Developers Conference on June 10 in San Francisco
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple to kick off Worldwide Developers Conference on June 10 in San Francisco - Page 2

post #41 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadman View Post


Actually it does look like appleTV itself (current and previous gen)

 

Saying that, it also looks like the Mac mini, Time Capsule, Airport Extreme, new Airport Express, & not forgetting the iOS screen icons.

post #42 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

From 20 years ago.
Regardless of what year, it looks like the screen of a TV. I also has reason to believe this with Amazon said to be creating a set top box of their own to compete with Apple TV. Also, there are rumors of Microsoft's new Xbox system will have set top box capabilities as well. 99$ for a console, tv tuner and whatever other amazing apps that will be created for an Apple TV? Brilliant! "You mean to tell me I can use my iDevice as a second screen, control my TV, and as a controller to my games?". There have been many apps that have been released or updated lately that focus on TV and second screen experiences, I wonder why...I truly think this would be an excellent move on Apple's part, it would get everyone off of their backs long enough for the next iPhone and whatever other iDevices Apple is going to reveal. It is time to make it way more than a "hobby", the time seems right to get everyones eyes on Apples capabilities in the TV world.
post #43 of 80
Originally Posted by Abobrek View Post
Regardless of what year, it looks like the screen of a TV.

 

Ask a kid. Is this a telephone?

 

 

Does this resonate with them as a telephone? No? Then the year does matter, doesn't it? Wouldn't be much point in using this to advertise modern telephones, eh? 

 

No, it doesn't look like a television. It looks like a square.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #44 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I wonder why they went with Roman numerals. 

 

In this case, it's obviously because the logo designer realized that they could mirror the WW with the MM, and it would look cool (*)

 

 

It's almost surprising that they haven't done it before.  Have they?

 

It reminded me immediately of people who specialize in numbers for ads.  Like back when IBM went to a mathematician for help making an ad for their System 370.   He told them to rotate the number upside down.  And that's exactly what they did in a magazine ad... showed the number 370 spinning around to spell OLE!

 

I always thought, what an interesting job that would be.

 

(*) Of course, it'll be even cooler in the year 2600, when they can use MMDC and it will be a perfect mirror image!

post #45 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abobrek View Post

Regardless of what year, it looks like the screen of a TV.

It has qualities that all rectangular shapes have since it's rectangularish but don't make the mistake of thinking this image is any way some layered clue for Encyclopedia Brown to solve.

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophenia

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #46 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ask a kid. Is this a telephone?




Does this resonate with them as a telephone? No? Then the year does matter, doesn't it? Wouldn't be much point in using this to advertise modern telephones, eh? 

No, it doesn't look like a television. It looks like a square.
What's up with the bashing? Isn't this website for Apple fans? Shouldn't you encourage people to "decode" the logo instead of putting them down for trying to do so? Do you have some "unannounced" "factual" information that none of us know about to discredit my reasoning?
post #47 of 80
Originally Posted by Abobrek View Post
Shouldn't you encourage people to "decode" the logo…

 

No! That's silly! It's a freaking logo!


I love that people do it, and I'll certainly do it facetiously, but "encourage"? Come on.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #48 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It has qualities that all rectangular shapes have since it's rectangularish but don't make the mistake of thinking this image is any way some layered clue for Encyclopedia Brown to solve.

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophenia
Nice, put me down for having an idea. It's people like you that make people like me not want to share their ideas. None of us are right or wrong until June 10, so until then you and I both are just as right as we are wrong. No need to bash me for expressing my opinion.
post #49 of 80
Originally Posted by Abobrek View Post
None of us are right or wrong until June 10…

 

Oh, there's plenty wrong. lol.gif

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #50 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No! That's silly! It's a freaking logo!


I love that people do it, and I'll certainly do it facetiously, but "encourage"? Come on.
I am not here to argue but express my observations and opinions, I became an Apple fan because they encouraged "thinking differently". You may not be "encouraging" but you sure are discouraging... I guess I am kind of lucky that you picked on my ideas out of all the others, you did take time out of your day, not only to put me down but also to find a image to go with it. Thanks 1smile.gif
post #51 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, there's plenty wrong. lol.gif
Based on...what facts?
post #52 of 80
Originally Posted by Abobrek View Post
Based on...what facts?

 

For example, "From this logo, we can deduce that Apple is creating a Photoshop competitor and is diversifying into the production of a set of color swatches to compete with Pantone." Note the layered state of the squares (much like a Photoshop document) and the merging of color where they overlap (creating a change in color, much like a light source under the influence of a pantone swatch)."

 

UTTER. NONSENSE. You can't say that's "equally right" as anything else.

 

So while the more plausible stuff is fun to joke around about, there is right and wrong, nonsense and logic, even before we know anything specifically.

 

It's entirely possible WWDC will be entirely about software.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #53 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abobrek View Post

Nice, put me down for having an idea. It's people like you that make people like me not want to share their ideas. None of us are right or wrong until June 10, so until then you and I both are just as right as we are wrong. No need to bash me for expressing my opinion.

1) I bashed you? Really?

2) Regardless of what you think will or want to transpire come June 10th is irrelevant. Your premise is flawed. You could be just as correct by reading tea leaves or chicken bones. It's nothing but a guess and a desire on your part, therefore it should be stated as such.

3) Note that I haven't made any assertions about a TV coming June 10th so I can't be proven wrong.

4) No, this isn't some Schrödinger's cat equivalent where you can both right or wrong since June 10th has arrived. It's only when the random event has occurred as a previous time that the result can be seen as being in both states.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #54 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

For example, "From this logo, we can deduce that Apple is creating a Photoshop competitor and is diversifying into the production of a set of color swatches to compete with Pantone." Note the layered state of the squares (much like a Photoshop document) and the merging of color where they overlap (creating a change in color, much like a light source under the influence of a pantone swatch)."

UTTER. NONSENSE. You can't say that's "equally right" as anything else.

So while the more plausible stuff is fun to joke around about, there is right and wrong, nonsense and logic, even before we know anything specifically.

It's entirely possible WWDC will be entirely about software.
Oh ok, so Apple won't be doing anything with Apple TV. No updates, no new apps, etc. I guess your right, it doesn't make sense to have Apple TV have any more features than it does now. So, should I sell my Apple TV now? I hear the new Xbox is going to have the ability to control TV and content. It's going to be quite expensive and my Apple TV was only about 100 bucks, so I've got to save up!

I bow down to you, oh great one! You are all knowing!
post #55 of 80
Originally Posted by Abobrek View Post
Oh ok, so Apple won't be doing anything with Apple TV.

 

Never did I say that. Don't claim I did. Come off it.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #56 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abobrek View Post

Oh ok, so Apple won't be doing anything with Apple TV. No updates, no new apps, etc. I guess your right, it doesn't make sense to have Apple TV have any more features than it does now. So, should I sell my Apple TV now? I hear the new Xbox is going to have the ability to control TV and content. It's going to be quite expensive and my Apple TV was only about 100 bucks, so I've got to save up!

I bow down to you, oh great one! You are all knowing!

So you've gone from hasty generalization to petitio principii to ignoratio elenchi to post hoc ergo propter hoc to reductio ad absurdum and straw man. Well done¡

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #57 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


So you've gone from hasty generalization to petitio principii to ignoratio elenchi to post hoc ergo propter hoc to reductio ad absurdum and straw man. Well done¡

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Reply
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Reply
post #58 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Never did I say that. Don't claim I did. Come off it.
You dissed my idea...you sure didn't have anything to say to agree with any part of it. You have not dissed anyone else's nor anyone who partially agreed to the plausibility that my idea MIGHT be true. You picked on me for a reason. Unless you have ABSOLUTE, UNDENIABLE, FACTS discrediting any or all of my opinions and ideas, you are dissing me. I'm done wasting my time on your ignorance and banter. You are obviously having a bad day and taking it out on someone, today I won the lottery of your bad day. What about the people having ideas of this being a clue to Apple's iWatch...go pick on them too!
post #59 of 80
Originally Posted by Abobrek View Post
You dissed my idea...

 

No, I reject your conclusion as impossible based on your premise being faulty. I said nothing as to the idea of either an updated Apple TV or a television from Apple.


You have not dissed anyone else's…

 

You're new-ish, so it makes sense that you'd say that. lol.gif


You picked on me for a reason.

 

Yes: An impossible conclusion based on a faulty premise. Again, as I said, I love to jokingly examine these posters and invitations for "clues", but that's all there ever are in them. "Clues". In quotation marks.


…ABSOLUTE, UNDENIABLE, FACTS… 

 

Televisions aren't square anymore. And squares ≠ televisions. It's like the old SAT question format. If all x are y and all… Not only are all x not y, virtually no x are y and why would x be y?

 

Those're facts.


What about the people having ideas of this being a clue to Apple's iWatch...go pick on them too!

 

I did. You must've missed that.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #60 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, I reject your conclusion as impossible based on your premise being faulty. I said nothing as to the idea of either an updated Apple TV or a television from Apple.

More accurately I'd say it's the absolute conclusion based on the premise that is faulty which was further reiterated by the statement suggesting that if there is some "TV" related update that it is proof his premise was correct.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #61 of 80

Apple.com has a link for WWDC on the home page.  I don't think they've done this in the past.  Anyway on their site I noticed how nice the design looks and how the apps they feature on iPad and iPhone are so far away from Apple's own design language in iOS.  I have a feeling we will get a nice surprise come WWDC.  Grid of icons probably won't go away but most of the ugly will be banished.

 

post #62 of 80
OMG!


Roman. Numerals.


So obvious. How can everyone not see the obvious. Everyone is in for a big surprise come June 10th.
post #63 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

This could be one of the hallmark WWDC's ever for Apple!

Be prepared to be absolutely blown away! 1smoking.gif

 

How ya figger? The announcement seems to read:

 

"The same conference we have every year, covering the same topics we address every year, at the same place we do it every year, at the same time we do it every year!"

 

There's nothing wrong with that whatsoever, but somehow I've missed whatever you found in that to suggest a "hallmark" event. Dish.

post #64 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusephe View Post

Finally an event this year !!! We are 7 months without any event, now it's time for something Big.
Like a new design of MbA maybe with retina or maybe iPhone or iPad or MacPro or super new Mac-books with haswells and 10 h battery life..... Possibilities are endless ! Rumor mill is going to burn hot from this

 

Jeez, no wonder Wall Street shits its collective pants every time Apple says anything. People let their expectations get completely out of hand, then are disappointed when presented with news that is merely "good" instead of HOLYABRACADBRAMAZING!

 

It's a Developers' Conference, not a product expo. Settle down, Beavis.

post #65 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

It's a Developers' Conference, not a product expo.

I seem to recall some HW announcements at most of the developer conferences. That said, if they are demoing both a new OS X and iOS it doesn't seem like there will be much time for any HW.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #66 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

The word on the street is that it will blow people away.

 

So you're saying someone has shared what Apple plans to present? If so, what? Where can we see that information?

 

If not, the word on the street has about the same weight and value as the word on the forum.

 

I understand being interested in seeing what new tools are available to app developers, but giddy speculation just creates unrealistic expectations that lead to Apple bashing when they don't materialize.

post #67 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadman View Post


Actually every TV-company uses Roman numerals (American and British). You can check end of any TV-show

 

Not anymore. In North America we stopped using roman numerals for copyright dates on TV shows decades ago.

post #68 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

OMG!


Roman. Numerals.


So obvious. How can everyone not see the obvious. Everyone is in for a big surprise come June 10th.

 

post #69 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Not anymore. In North America we stopped using roman numerals for copyright dates on TV shows decades ago.

More than XXX decades ago?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #70 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I seem to recall some HW announcements at most of the developer conferences.

 

Really? Oh.

 

Never mind! 1smile.gif

post #71 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


More than XXX decades ago?

 

No, but somewhere around XXX years ago (about III decades ago).

post #72 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

No, but somewhere around XXX years ago (about III decades ago).

Oops. I screwed that one up, didn't I?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #73 of 80
Did developers have previews of iOS and OS X prior to WWDC last year? If WWDC is the first time anyone gets a glimpse of iOS 7 or 10.9 there may not be oom in the keynote for much else. Still I think Apple knows hardware is what gets talked about most so I could see a new MacPro or other Mac refreshes announced at the beginning of the keynote.

I'm kind of hoping Apple does a little leaking to some of their favorite bloggers. Just to get some positive buzz out there.
post #74 of 80
The design looks like an iWatch.
post #75 of 80
Sold out in 3 minutes
post #76 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

 

Quality and design ... We will see Jony Ive's hand, particularly pertaining to iOS. The word on the street is that it will blow people away.

I have sat on the "wall" of discussions amongst Apple's most trusted bloggers at App.net, etc., and have heard the same thing as well.

 

Personally, I think the logo of the conference is a sign of what to expect. What delicious colours!

post #77 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Personally, I think the logo of the conference is a sign of what to expect. What delicious colours!

Of course! Neon leather calendars!! They'll use bright colors to distract people from the skeuomorphism.

People will be like 'oh yuck that leath.... ooooh purple'.

An OLED TV is actually a possibility. It's the next revolution in TV and Apple is spending money on it:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2013/02/20/tim-cook-does-not-like-oled-but-spends-money-on-it/

"Recently Apple hired Jueng Jil Lee, an expert in OLED displays. Lee was previously a senior researcher at LG where he worked on a printed AMOLED television."

TVs are fairly badly designed aesthetically. The Apple TV is a decent enough product but 2 million per quarter isn't that great. They can sell 2 million TVs per quarter and make 10x the profit. It's not going to come close to their iOS products in volume but they can get $1b per quarter profit out of it.

Samsung is profiteering on OLED just now, as is Sony. Apple has nothing to lose in that market because they aren't cannibalising their own lower-end products. They have screen lamination tech with anti-glare and with printed OLED, they can make displays razor thin.

It's not entirely suitable for WWDC as it wouldn't create a new gold-rush in app development for a new device but it does offer the possibility to address some latency issues with Airplay. It's also easier to market apps suitable for Airplay. Apple doesn't do much marketing for Apple TV which is understandable as it's low profit but they definitely would market a TV.
post #78 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Just waiting for all the logo design analysis to see if it has any clues for ios 7 OS X 10.9. lol.gif

I think the logo is a clue related to a future WWDC in the year 2600, because that would be the actual reflection...

 

post #79 of 80

Maybe they went with roman numerals because Mac OS X is a roman numeral version number, so maybe it's a clue about iOS integration/merging with OS X?

post #80 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

Maybe they went with roman numerals because Mac OS X is a roman numeral version number, so maybe it's a clue about iOS integration/merging with OS X?

 

Better darn well not be.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple to kick off Worldwide Developers Conference on June 10 in San Francisco