or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple promises to show off new versions of both iOS and OS X at WWDC 2013

Apple promises to show off new versions of both iOS and OS X at WWDC 2013 - Page 3

post #81 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

They could streamline naming and branding into something like this:

• iOS mobile
  • iOS desktop

How about keeping iOS as it is and renaming Mac OS X as the iOS Development Platform?¡

Seriously though, why rename them at all. I quite like OS X as a brand but if they have to rename it I'd like to see xOS and iOS. I just like the way those look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregord View Post

Quote:

Seriously though, why rename them at all. I quite like OS X as a brand but if they have to rename it I'd like to see xOS and iOS. I just like the way those look.

How would you pronounce xOS? The X in OS X is pronounced 'ten' not 'ex'

Quote:

Quote:

You want to pronounce it, too? You people are so demanding¡ 1biggrin.gif

As I stated, I like the way it looks.

Pronounce it as the X in xylophone... Xochimilco...

Personally, I like the name Apple OS... or just OS (after all, what other OSes of note are there?)
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #82 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:

Personally, I just wish they'd drop the "X" (and the NFL would do away with the fucking Roman numerals too!)
Well based on the just released WWDC logo Apple is not bailing on Roman numerals just yet, but I agree with you. I don't particularly like Roman numerals either, especially for a "digital" type business, but X is cool. It is sort of "digital".

OS∞

Think of the animated graphic of OSX and iOS morphing into OS∞

post #83 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsos View Post

MS bloggers and Joy of Tech will snark on the low hanging fruit as usual, and the world moves on.

Apple knew the connotations for calling the iPad the iPad, Steve and co. obviously knew the jokes would come, but knew they would fade too. Even the name iPod was laughed at when it came. The actual animal, the cougar, is a vicious beast. I see no good reason not to call it that. And some of the jokes will generated additional hype/attention too.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #84 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Pronounce it as the X in xylophone... Xochimilco...

Personally, I like the name Apple OS... or just OS (after all, what other OSes of note are there?)

Unified OS
Unified System
US to go with your me.com address.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #85 of 109

I am not sure what the big deal is here.

MacOS for Macs

iOS for iDevices.

It is logical and consistent. The thing that is causing a wrinkle is the emphasis on X that has been a part of OS X. If they increment past 10.9, they will probably call it OS 11.1 if it is a new major release, but they will drop the version in the marketing. The X was a big thing since it represented the change from OS9 to the new Unix underpinnings and NeXT work in OS X. Again, people do not really care about OS version numbers.

post #86 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Apple knew the connotations for calling the iPad the iPad, Steve and co. obviously knew the jokes would come, but knew they would fade too. Even the name iPod was laughed at when it came. The actual animal, the cougar, is a vicious beast. I see no good reason not to call it that. And some of the jokes will generated additional hype/attention too.

The cougar is a vicious beast, but it is a beast that has been used too much in the OS X naming scheme. Puma, Panther, Mountain Lion - all the same species (at least in America). I think it is time to pick a different Species and Genus.

Lynx, Ocelot, Smilodon. I prefer Lynx.

post #87 of 109
Error in article - Apple did not issue a press release to announce 10.8 last February. It was 2 Februarys ago.
post #88 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by boriscleto View Post

You don't send an iWork document from Mail...

Actially - I do, and would like to continue to do so. Write an email, then choose my attachments. Because: what if you want to attach a pages AND a numbers document?
post #89 of 109
I couldn't care less about the OS X 10.9, but I'm very excited to see iOS 7
post #90 of 109
Quote:

Ocelot or Lynx, perhaps Bobcat. All the commonly known big cats are taken already. Apple might have to abandon the cat naming soon.

post #91 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Can't wait for some more innovation for the trackpad like second screen or software bottoms/functionality.

NO. Why the hell would you want to have to look at your trackpad? Unless you're one of those hunt-and-peck typers...

post #92 of 109
Quote:

As far as individual major release naming, I'd love to see Apple move away from the cat naming. Maybe they could do something unique and interesting like colors. Perhaps as something of an homage to their original logo, the next 7 generations of OS X (and iOS) could go something like this:

• iOS Green
  • iOS Yellow
  • iOS Orange
  • iOS Red
  • iOS Violet
  • iOS Blue

Great idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8#Windows_8.1_.22Blue.22_update

post #93 of 109

iOS 7 needs a spiffy update, or else I'm jumping ship!  My entire household is filled with Apple products, my friends and family have Apple products, and I've been a hard-core iPhone user since the first iPhone.  But I recently bought a Google Nexus 7, at first just to try out and compare it to my iPad Mini, but now I'm addicted to it.  I'm waiting for HTC One to launch in my country, and most likely I'll probably ditch my iPhone 4S if iOS 7 isn't any good.  Who knows, if iOS and the next iPhone '6' improves by next year, I might come back to Apple.  

post #94 of 109
Originally Posted by psitthipo View Post
iOS 7 needs a spiffy update, or else I'm jumping ship!  My entire household is filled with Apple products, my friends and family have Apple products, and I've been a hard-core iPhone user since the first iPhone.  But I recently bought a Google Nexus 7, at first just to try out and compare it to my iPad Mini, but now I'm addicted to it.  I'm waiting for HTC One to launch in my country, and most likely I'll probably ditch my iPhone 4S if iOS 7 isn't any good.  Who knows, if iOS and the next iPhone '6' improves by next year, I might come back to Apple.  

Blah blah blah blah… 

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #95 of 109
Quote:

In theory you are correct but I'd bet a pound to a penny most people use 'ex' these days.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #96 of 109
Quote:

Does Scamsung provide the text as a copy and paste or do you have to retype it from a print out? 1wink.gif
post #97 of 109
Quote:

I am not sure what the big deal is here.

MacOS for Macs

iOS for iDevices.

It is logical and consistent. The thing that is causing a wrinkle is the emphasis on X that has been a part of OS X. If they increment past 10.9, they will probably call it OS 11.1 if it is a new major release, but they will drop the version in the marketing. The X was a big thing since it represented the change from OS9 to the new Unix underpinnings and NeXT work in OS X. Again, people do not really care about OS version numbers.

I disagree.   How do you know if you're supposed to upgrade if you don't know your version number?    How do support people support their Macs if they don't know the version number?    How do applications which only work with certain OS versions inform potential customers whether or not their app will work with their version of the OS?

If the next OS (or the one after or the one after that) is enough of a change, I have no problem with Apple moving from OS X to OS XI.   If they do it for a minor upgrade, they'll get laughed at.   But if they don't do it for a major OS overhaul (which I think Apple needs to do because everything is looking kind of old), they're missing a major marketing opportunity.    The press isn't going to talk much about the Apple OS moving from 10.8 to 10.9 or from 10.9 to 10.10, but they would talk about moving from OS X to OS XI.

I'm in the camp of people who thought that "the new iPad" was a ridiculous name for a product.   What's the next one going to be: "the new, new iPad"?   If I'm an average consumer and I don't follow Apple every day, how do I know if there's a newer model than the one I already own?   If each new model is "the new iPad", then I may think I already have the latest model and won't even think about upgrading.  

post #98 of 109
Quote:

[...] As far as individual major release naming, I'd love to see Apple move away from the cat naming. Maybe they could do something unique and interesting like colors.

I realize this makes me a fuddy-duddy, but I can't stand using names instead of numbers. I can't remember the order in which they were released, so when someone says "Im using Panther" I have no idea where that fits into the evolution timeline.

What's wrong with 10.8.3?

post #99 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Everything they do in this area will be a repeat.  

They've already done Puma, Jaguar, and Mountain Lion which are all the same animal.  

Sorry, a Jaguar is not the same as puma/mountain lion/painter/catamount. It's quite a bit bigger, for starters.

post #100 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

Yeah - I completely agree. I'm really curious if they start making serious UI changes. Another thing might be a much more rigorous iCloud integration - and correct the incomprehensible iWork iCloud integration.
Icloud is integrated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It was a joke years ago, but I'm in favor of Sabertooth.

Because then when OS XI is released in… oh… fall 2015 (phew, that's early!), they can lampshade the name themselves and say "OS X has served us very well, but it's getting a little long in the tooth."
I wonder how both OS XI devices well work side by side in 2017(or 2018 if delayed) what do you expect.
post #101 of 109
Quote:

Sorry... bad trolling!

I have the Nexus 7 (JB 4.2.2) sitting right here on my desk next to an iPad Mini and iPad 2, among different versions of iPhones.

Slowest and most laggy devices in the bunch: Nexus 7 and admittedly, a 3GS with 6.1.3. The Nexus 7 is not even close to the smoothness... nor user "perceptible" speed of an iPad 2, let alone the iPad Mini.

Go back to your N7 and stay there if you can't see the difference.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #102 of 109
As always... I get to throw in a last word on the forums because I'm mostly late to the party.

I've stated over the last couple of weeks that I feel the WWDC and the new iOS 7 and OS X updates are going to be HUGE and epic in proportions to the "new" and hugely successful Apple after SJ.

Because the Apple ecosystem and the tight integration to all of it's devices is "the secret sauce" that sells the "meat" (hardware)... it should come as no surprise that Apple will take this to the n-th degree.

It's also a second good reason why there are delays with the new products. The first reason I subscribe to, is that new chips (Haswell, 802.11ac, etc.) aren't ready in deliverable quantities... and the drivers still need more testing.

Integration = Lynx .... pun intended as Soli noted earlier.... and I'm going with this new cat as well.

NOTE: I find it amusing that many posters here... and on the net in general... think that THEY are the only ones using a device and have ideas on how to improve it or the software. I mean... as if Apple and all of it's talent doesn't see and experience this daily, are not working their butts off improving it while we just talk about it, and in essence working in a vacuum and love Apple just because they have a job.

In addition, all of the "Armchair Quarterback Anal-cysts" constantly:
  • beating the "Android is Winning Drum"...
  • Samsung will fork Android and/or beat Apple in Asia with Tizen...
  • Amazon is The Online Merchant after a successful fork, with future profit projections in the trillions built into their stock price....

... and then having the gall to only calculate/speculate Apple based on it's hardware products alone. Forgetting that it is iOS and OS X as the developer engine of choice, that makes Apple products consistently kick all of the other OSes collective butts. Google outfitted with Macs as the developer hardware and OS of choice; Windows running better on Macs than any other PC on the market, iOS devices the only consideration for the enterprise and even government as they switch from Windows-only shops.

And the sauce that ties it all together and makes it a Tech Gourmet's Delight?..........ready for it?.....Slackjaw Time: iOSX 1smoking.gif

Yup! X as in "ex"... not ten. If that's what the majority of the people call it... so be it. Name recognition is king. Also, a new kind of small, slinky, sexy cat... that happens to conveniently end with an "x". (Tied that up rather nice now didn't I ?!)

I seriously think we're going to see something "akin" to the merging of iOS and OS X... something similar in theory to Microsoft's attempt. However... this time it will be done RIGHT! And for Apple's future in all of their endeavors... it's what's going to count.... A LOT... as in Billions of a lot.

Last Notes:
  • the merging of mobile and the desktop is also what Canonical is trying to get to work with Ubuntu...
  • Google will eventually attempt with Android/Chrome OS...
  • and we definitely know that Microsoft is going Ball(mer)s-To-The-Walls with this initiative.

Leave it to Apple to actually make it work 1smile.gif
post #103 of 109
Before the "OH DAWG NO!" crowd hits me up... this is NOT to say that OS X will automatically die as we know it for professional applications. It will still be the "Developer's Choice" as well as the content creator's choice for production environments, but with many more hooks into iOS for the rest of the 90% of users (Apple customers) on the planet.

Also, it will allow not only apps from the OS X App Store... but also those from the iOS App Store, and will also find it's way into a new Apple TV, and the new Apple Mini as it's core family server.

PS. The only thing I'm legally "high on" right now is the fact that I called and bet on the total scrubbing of Barca and Real Madrid in the CL by my beloved Bayern and BVB Dortmund... but "Smokey" I remain..... 1smoking.gif
post #104 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

I realize this makes me a fuddy-duddy, but I can't stand using names instead of numbers. I can't remember the order in which they were released, so when someone says "Im using Panther" I have no idea where that fits into the evolution timeline.

What's wrong with 10.8.3?

I don't think it makes you a fuddy-duddy at all. I've had the same confusion myself. Though recently I've attributed that to a) not paying as close attention, and b) the cat naming seems to make this worse (for me.)

I don't think there's anything wrong with version numbers, though even that I could see Apple simplifying a bit. It feels a bit like the last few versions were really more along the lines of what Apple did when they previously called them:

• System 6
  • System 7
  • Mac OS 8
  • Mac OS 9
  • Mac OS X (10.0 "Cheetah" but not publicly)

In other words, and this is why it seems (to me) that "OS X" has really become a name (the fact that they call it "OS X v10.8" is a hint here), the following (or at least maybe the last few):

• Mac OS X (10.1 "Puma" but not publicly)
  • Mac OS X Jaguar (10.2)
  • Mac OS X Panther (10.3)
  • Mac OS X Tiger (10.4)
  • Mac OS X Leopard (10.5)
  • Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6)
  • Mac OS X Lion (10.7)
  • Mac OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

could have been:

• Mac OS 11
  • Mac OS 12
  • Mac OS 13
  • Mac OS 14
  • Mac OS 15
  • etc.

Like I said, the early 3-4 might not have risen to the level of a whole new number (being mostly releases to get OS X up to par), but the later ones could have been considered whole new numbers.

With that assumption, Apple has almost bastardized the naming/numbering scheme.

As far as words (e.g., colors, cities, cats, etc.) for naming major releases...eh...I think this doesn't have to lead to confusion. I think Apple created more confusion than necessary in their last four releases by giving them such similar names (i.e., Leopard > Snow Leopard and then Lion > Mountain Lion). You'd still have a specific version number to refer to for dealing with specific support related issues, etc.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #105 of 109

On the other hand, Leopard to Snow Leopard and Lion to Mountain Lion is consistent with both the iPhone and Intel processor "tick-tock" naming convention; a leap followed by a refinement.

Microsoft hasn't been a great example of OS version name consistency. Chronologically, Windows had numbers (3, 3.1), years (95, 98), letters (ME, NT, XP), Vista, and back to numbers, though IIRC Windows 7 and 8 are inconsistent with their respective NT kernel versions. Oh, and soon to be colors (Blue).

To say nothing of the artificially handicapped SKUs of 21st century Windows versions (Home, Pro, Enterprise, Netbook/3rd World, Heart Gold, Soul Silver).

But since I don't have a better idea in regards to Mac OS branding...

For what it's worth, we're only one letter away from naming it after the kernel (Mach OS X).

[this account has been abandoned]

[this account has been abandoned]

post #106 of 109
Quote:

In other words, and this is why it seems (to me) that "OS X" has really become a name (the fact that they call it "OS X v10.8" is a hint here), the following (or at least maybe the last few):

When Apple made the switch to Intel processors I wondered aloud whether they would take steps towards greater Windows compatibility and call the operating system OSXP.

Edited by v5v - 4/25/13 at 10:12pm
post #107 of 109

I'd like to submit the name OSX Pallas. It's the cutest cat on earth imo and sounds luxurious as any Apple product ought to. Here's the cat.

post #108 of 109

It really should be Sabre-Tooth. As has been said there is no way to top that and it comes as a culmination of the whole OS X naming scheme. After that they should — and I think will — move to OS XI, and a new naming scheme.

AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
post #109 of 109
Quote:

[...] Again, people do not really care about OS version numbers.

I think version numbers are absolutely essential. How else do you check compatibility before buying new software or hardware or updating existing software? If you've ever purchased a software update then discovered that it required an OS upgrade, and that OS required a hardware upgrade, you learn to read the system requirements first.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple promises to show off new versions of both iOS and OS X at WWDC 2013