or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Supply shortages delay Samsung Galaxy S4 launch at Sprint, T-Mobile

Supply shortages delay Samsung Galaxy S4 launch at Sprint, T-Mobile

post #1 of 41
Limited availability of Samsung's new flagship Galaxy S4 smartphone has led to delayed launches at Sprint and T-Mobile, the third- and fourth-largest carriers in the U.S.

Unaffected by the shortage is AT&T, which still plans to begin offering the Galaxy S4 at its stores this Saturday, according to Reuters. But it's likely that inventory could be limited in the face of anticipated strong demand, and Samsung said in a statement that it hopes to fulfill inventory in the "coming weeks."

Galaxy S4
Source: Samsung

For its part, T-Mobile characterized the supply issues as an "unexpected delay with inventories." The carrier was clearly caught somewhat off-guard by the supply issues, as it didn't comment on the matter or delay the launch until the day the carrier was supposed to begin accepting preorders.

T-Mobile originally expected to begin accepting preorders on Wednesday, but has instead pushed its onsale date to next Monday, April 29.

As for Sprint, the carrier will begin accepting online orders Saturday, as was originally planned. But "unexpected inventory challenges from Samsung" will "slightly" delay its full product launch.

Sprint plans to sell inventory in its stores as it receives units. Samsung cited demand for the Galaxy S4 that is "far stronger" than the South Korean electronics company had expected.

Meanwhile Verizon, the largest carrier in the U.S., began accepting preorders for the Galaxy S4 today. The handset will become available at the carrier's retail stores on May 30, more than a month from now.

Samsung announced the Galaxy S4 at an elaborate media event at New York City's Radio City Music Hall in mid-March. The handset is Samsung's latest flagship phone, designed to take on Apple's best-selling iPhone 5.

While Apple frequently sees product shortages at launch, the Cupertino, Calif., company typically makes its new iPhone models available for sale in major markets like the U.S. just over a week after the product is announced. That stands in contrast to the Galaxy S4 debut, which has now been dragged out over a month and still faces production issues.

Samsung had originally planned a massive global launch for the Galaxy S4, saying it would be available in more than 150 countries by the end of April. It's unclear if those plans have changed with the company's apparent production issues.

Reviewers who have been able to use the Galaxy S4 have given the handset mostly positive marks, though it's not viewed as a revolutionary smartphone. Early takes have also criticized the fact that the phone has an "easy mode" that allows users to bypass the complexity of its heavily modified Android operating system.
post #2 of 41

Samsung is DOOOOOOMED....

Oh, wait, it not Apple. Samsung is so popular there are shortages! Buy, Buy, BUY!

post #3 of 41

So they've purposely created shortages to make it appear as if the phone is selling really well. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5
120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5
120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #4 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

So they've purposely created shortages to make it appear as if the phone is selling really well. 

That might make sense if it they were selling it already.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
post #5 of 41
hmm

Edited by eksodos - 8/28/13 at 5:14pm
post #6 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

That is the way Samsung is spinning it.

post #7 of 41

samsunginsider?

post #8 of 41
Quote:

But isn't that just what Apple does.

Copycats
post #9 of 41
They missed a product release date? Well then they should apply the same rules to Samsung's CEO as they do to Apple's CEO.

Off with his head.
post #10 of 41
Quote:

Maybe, but that seems unlikely. Samsung is a highly popular Android maker. The Galaxy S line of products are very popular for Android and for the mid- to high-range category. The S III was highly successful. I would imagine the S4 will also sell like gangbusters and I don't think the build quality and feel of the device is that important to their customer base of the previous Galaxy models wouldn't have been so popular.

Quote:

Aren't they? Not to end users but with an impending launch date one day away they'd had to have sold them to their retailers by now.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #11 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by boriscleto View Post

Samsung is DOOOOOOMED....

Oh, wait, it not Apple. Samsung is so popular there are shortages! Buy, Buy, BUY!

It's not that Samsung is so popular.  They just didn't make enough to meet demand, whatever THAT means.

Maybe they have demand for 3 million units and they only made 2 million units.

When they post these articles, it would be nice to find out how many units they initially made and what the demand was, but we'll never get that information.

Some of these companies purposely don't make many units to begin with, because if they sell out early, it makes people think it's an in demand product to get people to want it more.

I know Microsoft was doing that with the Surface tablets, so they could boast about how they sold out, but reality was is that they just made a small number of units to guarantee them selling out.  Apple, at least, makes more for the first weekend than the previous model and their first weekend sales are usually impressive, even if they do sell out, at least they are able to have lines at all of their retail store locations for the first couple of weeks when they launch a new iPhone/iPad.

It's better for a company to sell out in the first week than to have surplus.  it just makes for a more impressive launch.  If they sell out quickly, people think that it's a popular product, when in fact, it might not be.  Have to watch Samsung, Microsoft and others for this tactic, they abuse it more than Apple from what I've noticed.

post #12 of 41
Quote:

This is highly unlikely. I have it from good sources that there is a world wide shortage of plastic and they can not make enough housings to keep the innards in.
post #13 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

When they post these articles, it would be nice to find out how many units they initially made and what the demand was, but we'll never get that information.

That isn't likely to happen. Think of it like your health. You diagnosis the symptoms to determine the problem but the symptoms alone oft don't tell much more than there is a problem somewhere. I think the same thing happens with supply and demand. The retailers buying the product know they can't get it when they want it but it doesn't tell you if that is because of too much demand elsewhere, poor assumptions on demand from the vendor, bad batches of product, or some other issue altogether.

post #14 of 41
It's too hard to make plastic cases... :P
post #15 of 41

As another sign of Samsung's high-profile in smartphones for at least the time-being: CompareMyMobile is seeing trade-in value requests for the S3 increased over 125% since the release date for the Galaxy S4 was announced. According to them only Apple announcements for new iPhone models has ever prompted similar increases.

http://infogr.am/The-Unique-Samsung-Galaxy-S4-Trade-in-impact

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #16 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

As another sign of Samsung's high-profile in smartphones for at least the time-being: CompareMyMobile is seeing trade-in value requests for the S3 increased over 125% since the release date for the Galaxy S4 was announced. According to them only Apple announcements for new iPhone models has ever prompted similar increases.

http://infogr.am/The-Unique-Samsung-Galaxy-S4-Trade-in-impact

The ignorants that bought the S3 don't use the net that much, so they are still ignorants and bought the s4.

post #17 of 41

The comments here about creating fake shortages make no sense from a real life point of view.

If someone is in the market for a high end Android phone, there are some good choices right now.

The last thing that Samsung wants to happen at this point in time, is to not be able to supply enough units to meet demand... and perhaps lose potential customers to HTC or elsewhere.

post #18 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

The comments here about creating fake shortages make no sense from a real life point of view.

If someone is in the market for a high end Android phone, there are some good choices right now.

The last thing that Samsung wants to happen at this point in time, is to not be able to supply enough units to meet demand... and perhaps lose potential customers to HTC or elsewhere.

HTC can't produce them either.

There's no one else with Buzz right now. The brainwashe has been done. There's no reviewer that says that this phone is the best android phone or close to it, not to mention the fact that it is so much inferior to the iphone, but stupid people don't care. For them, this is like walking with their pants down.

post #19 of 41
"So they've purposely created shortages to make it appear as if the phone is selling really well. "

I think they are trying to create a HYPE that this phone is so popular that it is running short .... even before it goes on sale...... Something only Samsung would be stupid enough to do.

JAT>
en
post #20 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

It's not that Samsung is so popular.  They just didn't make enough to meet demand, whatever THAT means.

AT&T just reported that 80% of their smartphone activations were iPhones. So that portends a huge demand for the S4 that cannot be met? I don't get it.

post #21 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

HTC can't produce them either.

There's no one else with Buzz right now. The brainwashe has been done. There's no reviewer that says that this phone is the best android phone or close to it, not to mention the fact that it is so much inferior to the iphone, but stupid people don't care. For them, this is like walking with their pants down.

Android cultists like to claim that only stupid people buy Apple products. Let's not get in the gutter with them and claim only stupid people buy Android. Only stupid people do that. ¡

post #22 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

AT&T just reported that 80% of their smartphone activations were iPhones. So that portends a huge demand for the S4 that cannot be met? I don't get it.

It was 80% because Samsung shot themselves in the foot with the early announcement... Next quarter the S4 is sure to be 80% and the iPhone 20%¡
post #23 of 41
Quote:

That's why the supply for AT&T is unaffected.
post #24 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Aren't they? Not to end users but with an impending launch date one day away they'd had to have sold them to their retailers by now.

Ahhh gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.
post #25 of 41
Quote:

That's why the supply for AT&T is unaffected.

T-Mobile sells more Androids than AT&T?

post #26 of 41
It's been HOURS since the beleaguered Samsung announced a new product, it's time for the CEO to be fired!

So which one is the Galaxy S4? I can't keep up with all the vaporware...
post #27 of 41
Quote:

Quote:

Exactly.

post #28 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Hey we're just sending the Fandroids comments back at them. Sammy better hope there were no lines.

If Sammy actual released numbers, I wonder if Wall Street will be disappointed in them selling "only" 2MM.
post #29 of 41

So the Galaxy S4 is not revolutionary ... big deal. Has there been a Galaxy S or Galaxy Tab that can be considered revolutionary?

Save for the first iPhone, what recent phone can truly be classified as revolutionary? 3G, LTE, Siri, etc. are all very nice incremental innovations. But revolution? Only the following would qualify: Motorola DynaTac, the Blackberry Quark (that was the first BB with an integrated phone?), the phone that Philippe Kahn used to take and share photograph his daughter and the iPhone.

Pundits, journalists, analysts, etc. throw around words like revolution, innovation and disruption like they toss pennies in the Starbucks tip jar - as if they don't mean something. This is why they expect a "revolutionary product" from Apple every year - the word "revolution" has been so cheapened that every company is considered a failure if they produce a single product that is merely an upgrade.

post #30 of 41
"Designed to take on apples I phone 5" ..... It must take a 7 yr old child to write these. The Iphone 5 AND Galaxy S3 came out last yr meaning the S3 was in competition with the I phone 5. No one makes a phone to compare with last years model because it would be a landslide. The GS4 blows the Iphone 5 out the water and is in competition with the coming Iphone 5s. Get it now?
post #31 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I don't understand their strategy of making two models with different CPU's. They did the same thing with the S3. One version of the S4 will include an octa core CPU of around 1.5 or 1.6GHz if memory serves. Then the one that will be sold in the U.S. and possibly Europe will be a quad core 1.9GHz version. From some initial pre-release benchmarks and other tests the octa core seemed to be a faster phone. I wonder why they make two versions and also wonder why or how they choose which countries will get which version. I would think they would want to sell their fastest version here in the U.S. since they aren't doing nearly as well here as in other countries. 

If I'm not mistaken the CPU used for the international version doesn't play nicely with LTE chipsets used in the US.
post #32 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedougie View Post

"Designed to take on apples I phone 5" ..... It must take a 7 yr old child to write these. The Iphone 5 AND Galaxy S3 came out last yr meaning the S3 was in competition with the I phone 5. No one makes a phone to compare with last years model because it would be a landslide. The GS4 blows the Iphone 5 out the water and is in competition with the coming Iphone 5s. Get it now?

First post and I see that you are already trying real hard to get along and make friends.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #33 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedougie View Post

No one at that trainwreck of an announcement (their WiFi went down! and the C list actors were rather sad in their somewhat sexist playlets) thought the S4 (aka the S3s) was much of anything, which is why the Sammy stock dropped right after. The S4 doesn't even "blow" the S3 away, let alone the iPhone 5, which doubled the S3's sales numbers or perhaps even the iPhone 4s which sold millions more than the S3 worldwide.

After desperately switching to "Easy" mode it's reportedly a nice enough follow up to their 3. But then with the 3's sales already declining..... and what's with topping out at 32GB? How does one cram an entire "Life" into such a limited space?

Samsung is very smart to not give up their day job, making washing machines.

post #34 of 41
Quote:

I did a bit more research and it seems that the octa-core will not include any LTE at all, only 3G. Korea and Japan both have wide LTE deployment while most of Europe are still pretty far behind with LTE. I know in the U.K. only one carrier has any LTE for example. If this is true I doubt a S4 with no LTE at all will sell very well in countries that have or will have LTE shortly. Stupid move by Samsung to offer a non-LTE phone in 2013.

The whole thing is all rather strange.  I think it isn't about LTE, but has to do with production problems with the 5 octa.

Quote:

Galaxy S4 World Tour made a stop today in Samsung’s home market to announce the device and consumers on SKT, KT and LG U+ will be able to purchase the device from tomorrow, making it one of the first markets to get the Galaxy S flagship.

Interestingly, the Galaxy S4 (SHV-E300S/K/L) for the Korean market varies slightly than the international versions. For starters, the phone is equipped with the Exynos 5 Octa processor and supports LTE. Internationally, the Exynos 5 Octa variant is generally reserved as a 3G variant whereas the Snapdragon 600 variant for the LTE. There’s also a terrestrial DMB.

post #35 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Quote:

It was 80% because Samsung shot themselves in the foot with the early announcement... Next quarter the S4 is sure to be 80% and the iPhone 20%¡

Maybe next month they will announce the Osborne... er, ah Samsung S5... or even the S5S 1smile.gif
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #36 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

To be more accurate, iPhones were 67% of AT&T's last quarter sales. (Activations includes used phones.)

As one would expect, AT&T's customers lean heavily iPhone.  That's why they have iPhone shortages, not Android shortages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

The ignorants that bought the S3 don't use the net that much, so they are still ignorants and bought the s4.

The internet difference only applies when iPads are included.  As Chitika and others point out in their reports (which don't mean a lot anyway), smartphones have very similar statistics . E.g.

Quote:

I did a bit more research and it seems that the octa-core will not include any LTE at all, only 3G. Korea and Japan both have wide LTE deployment while most of Europe are still pretty far behind with LTE. I know in the U.K. only one carrier has any LTE for example. If this is true I doubt a S4 with no LTE at all will sell very well in countries that have or will have LTE shortly. Stupid move by Samsung to offer a non-LTE phone in 2013.

The Korean model gets both the Samsung octa-core and LTE.

I suspect that there are several reasons why the US LTE version uses the Snapdragon instead of Samsung's CPU:

• Qualcomm's Snapdragon chipset comes with everything needed in one package.
  • Qualcomm probably cannot supply the entire world demand, nor can Samsung. Thus the need for two CPU suppliers.
  • There could be a royalty issue involved for the US that makes using the Snapdragon cheaper.

Edited by KDarling - 4/25/13 at 11:07am
post #37 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

The whole thing is all rather strange.  I think it isn't about LTE, but has to do with production problems with the 5 octa.

It was the same exact way for the SGS 3.
post #38 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

It's been HOURS since the beleaguered Samsung announced a new product, it's time for the CEO to be fired!

So which one is the Galaxy S4? I can't keep up with all the vaporware...

It's like an iPhone 4S but backwards.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #39 of 41
Quote:

I don't understand their strategy of making two models with different CPU's. They did the same thing with the S3. One version of the S4 will include an octa core CPU of around 1.5 or 1.6GHz if memory serves. Then the one that will be sold in the U.S. and possibly Europe will be a quad core 1.9GHz version. From some initial pre-release benchmarks and other tests the octa core seemed to be a faster phone. I wonder why they make two versions and also wonder why or how they choose which countries will get which version. I would think they would want to sell their fastest version here in the U.S. since they aren't doing nearly as well here as in other countries. 

here is a link talking about the differences between the 2 versions.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s4-adds-insult-to-injury-as-eight-core-smashes-quad-core-in-tests-1143900

LTE, the LTE versions have Qualcomm chips.

I believe it's called the "horns of a dilemma", which has the greater bragging rights LTE or Octocore?

post #40 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

LTE, the LTE versions have Qualcomm chips.

I believe it's called the "horns of a dilemma", which has the greater bragging rights LTE or Octocore?

Note that only 4 cores can only ever be used at one time in that "octo-core" chip.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Supply shortages delay Samsung Galaxy S4 launch at Sprint, T-Mobile