or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple immediately sells out of WWDC 2013 tickets
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple immediately sells out of WWDC 2013 tickets - Page 2

post #41 of 87
Apple should do what Microsoft does: have regional training offices, have training sessions through out the year, and have full-time training engineers.

Apple developers are approaching the number of MS developers. Apple should scale its training/development department.
post #42 of 87

It strikes me that a lottery is the probably the most likely solution if Apple thinks it's actually a problem.

 

Large dev houses have access in other ways than just WWDC.  

Key devs in areas Apple cares about have access in other ways than just WWDC.

 

So it's really just the masses that scramble for WWDC.  Its fun to do but if you didn't get a ticket it's not like you're suddenly at some additional huge disadvantage.

post #43 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

[citation needed]

Needed? Why do people around here toss around citations as if this is a peer-reviewed, rigorous medium? People seem to demand "citation" when they feel the impulse to challenge something but do not have proper reason for doing so.

 

Most of the time, the citations provided barely support the arguments posited. But most are too lazy to read beyond headlines. In another common scenario, people here cite analysts that they trash in a different thread. Then explosive fights ensue when neither party knows what they are talking about.

 

So, NO, citation unneeded. You don't want to believe me? Big deal. Don't give a care. But if you ask respectfully out of genuine curiosity and desire to learn, I might explain how I came by that observation. If you don't really want to know, it's no sweat off my back.

post #44 of 87
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post
So, NO, citation unneeded.

 

You stated it as fact. Citation needed.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #45 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Absolutely ridiculous.  I had a ticket in my cart at 1 minute after the hour, went to checkout, it asked for yet another login at checkout, and then wouldn't let me press Sign In or Enter or Continue As Guest.  My only option was to Cancel and try to add the ticket again (this was at 2 minutes after the hour), but it was already sold out at that point.

Frustrating? Yes. 

 

Ridiculous? No.

 

You clearly have not tried to purchase concert tickets for your teenager daughter's fav pop star recently. At least you don't have to confront your daughter with the news and see the disappointment in her eyes.

post #46 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

You stated it as fact. Citation needed.

Nope.

 

If you are stating the need for a citation as fact, then provide a proper citation to prove it. We can go in circles all day if you like. Or you can ask nicely as I have prescribed. Or leave me alone.

post #47 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Needed? Why do people around here toss around citations as if this is a peer-reviewed, rigorous medium? People seem to demand "citation" when they feel the impulse to challenge something but do not have proper reason for doing so.

Most of the time, the citations provided barely support the arguments posited. But most are too lazy to read beyond headlines. Then explosive fights ensue when neither party knows what they are talking about.

So, NO, citation unneeded. You don't want to believe me? Big deal. Don't give a care. But if you ask respectfully out of genuine curiosity and desire to learn, I will explain how I came by that observation. 

If you want your statement to be seen as reasonable or legitimate then you certainly do need to back up items you state as factual with some sort of evidence to show how and/or why you have to come to this conclusion.

I certainly can't see how one can say iOS 7 is behind schedule. We're not even close to being past the typical yearly release date, but if we were, that would then just be an opinion as to why you think it's delayed even though it could be how they planned it.

If you have an argument then state it to support your comment otherwise you're just wasting yours and everyone else's time who come here for intelligent and thought provoking dialogue.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #48 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

It strikes me that a lottery is the probably the most likely solution if Apple thinks it's actually a problem.

 

Large dev houses have access in other ways than just WWDC.  

Key devs in areas Apple cares about have access in other ways than just WWDC.

 

So it's really just the masses that scramble for WWDC.  Its fun to do but if you didn't get a ticket it's not like you're suddenly at some additional huge disadvantage.

Perhaps not a huge disadvantage. But I can tell you from first hand experience that being able to talk to an Apple developer really opens your eyes. In the rare instance, you might make a friend who will provide the odd insight that becomes a real ongoing advantage.

post #49 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


If you want your statement to be seen as reasonable or legitimate then you certainly do need to back up items you state as factual with some sort of evidence to show how and/or why you have to come to this conclusion.

I certainly can't see how one can say iOS 7 is behind schedule. We're not even close to being past the typical yearly release date, but if we were, that would then just be an opinion as to why you think it's delayed even though it could be how they planned it.

If you have an argument then state it to support your comment otherwise you're just wasting yours and everyone else's time who come here for intelligent and thought provoking dialogue.

What is this nonsense about "need"? This demand itself is a waste of time (yours and mine, but perhaps not of Tallest because he does nothing but badger people here anyhow). I let my words speak for me.

 

If you deem me unintelligent and unprovocative, then ignore me. If you think my track record is such that my words are not worth a damn without a citation, then don't trust me.

 

But if you think that perhaps there is veracity in what I wrote and are interested in my "source" or "inspiration", then ask in that vein instead of demanding a citation (as TS did) as if this place is a monument of rigorous debate, or offering some condescending, time-wasting, hypocritical lecture on why a citation is needed when it clearly is not.

post #50 of 87
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post
Nope.
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post
…iOS 7 i.gifs.gif behind schedule…

YEP. 😩

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #51 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

YEP. 😩

Nope. And you have missed the memo about flat design. And ... where is your citation proving that a citation is needed?

post #52 of 87
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post
Nope.


I'm done here. I've given you proof, you still deny it. There's something wrong with you.


 And you have missed the memo about flat design.

 

No, I just said nothing at all about it, nor implied anything about it whatsoever. I wasn't even discussing it, nor were you. 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #53 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Frustrating? Yes. 

 

Ridiculous? No.

 

You clearly have not tried to purchase concert tickets for your teenager daughter's fav pop star recently. At least you don't have to confront your daughter with the news and see the disappointment in her eyes.

 

The ridiculous part is the fact that I actually had the ticket in my cart.  When you buy concert tickets online, and you actually manage to get one in your cart, they always tell you that you have it reserved for a certain amount of time.

 

As for your teenage daughter, I'd get her to do the website reload dance (kids love a challenge like that) and just enter your credit card info if/when she actually gets a ticket.  That way, you don't have to break any bad news to her (or take blame).

 
Reply
 
Reply
post #54 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Nope.

 

If you are stating the need for a citation as fact, then provide a proper citation to prove it. We can go in circles all day if you like. Or you can ask nicely as I have prescribed. Or leave me alone.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


If you want your statement to be seen as reasonable or legitimate then you certainly do need to back up items you state as factual with some sort of evidence to show how and/or why you have to come to this conclusion.

I certainly can't see how one can say iOS 7 is behind schedule. We're not even close to being past the typical yearly release date, but if we were, that would then just be an opinion as to why you think it's delayed even though it could be how they planned it.

If you have an argument then state it to support your comment otherwise you're just wasting yours and everyone else's time who come here for intelligent and thought provoking dialogue.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

What is this nonsense about "need"? This demand itself is a waste of time (yours and mine, but perhaps not of Tallest because he does nothing but badger people here anyhow). I let my words speak for me.

 

If you deem me unintelligent and unprovocative, then ignore me. If you think my track record is such that my words are not worth a damn without a citation, then don't trust me.

 

But if you think that perhaps there is veracity in what I wrote and are interested in my "source" or "inspiration", then ask in that vein instead of demanding a citation (as TS did) as if this place is a monument of rigorous debate, or offering some condescending, time-wasting, hypocritical lecture on why a citation is needed when it clearly is not.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

YEP. 😩

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Nope. And you have missed the memo about flat design. And ... where is your citation proving that a citation is needed?

 

All this is a bit silly, isn't it, folks?

 

Any of you follow discussions on Branch? Here is one involving some of the most clued-in Apple bloggers discussing what they've heard about iOS 7 development delays: http://branch.com/b/apple-to-begin-iphone-production-this-quarter. Allegedly, engineers from OSX development are being pulled to help, just as they were back in 2007. You will find some sweet nuggets about the UI revamp, too. Emphasis on the word nuggets intended, because it is not a long discussion. My personal opinion is that these guys are generally in the know.

 

Sorry if I have overstepped my bounds here by intervening. But it's really not that amusing to watch you folks engage in a Seinfeld-esque debate.

post #55 of 87

 

"Apple has reportedly..."

 

"What I've heard:..."

 

This is all sourced from Gruber, who has been wrong many times in the past. It's a rumor, but not a fact. All we need is one "anonymous source" these days to proclaim everything as fact. Maybe it has some truth to it and maybe it does not. 

post #56 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


I'm done here. I've given you proof, you still deny it. There's something wrong with you.

 

No, I just said nothing at all about it, nor implied anything about it whatsoever. I wasn't even discussing it, nor were you. 

You cited me to prove I am wrong? That would be cool if it worked. But I don't believe citations are needed and so you can't manipulate my words enough to make your argument stick. And yes, there's something wrong with both of us, not to mention most people here.

post #57 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

"Nobody goes there anymore... its too crowded."

(paraphrasing Casey)

Or Yogi. 

post #58 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

What is this nonsense about "need"? This demand itself is a waste of time (yours and mine, but perhaps not of Tallest because he does nothing but badger people here anyhow). I let my words speak for me.

If you deem me unintelligent and unprovocative, then ignore me. If you think my track record is such that my words are not worth a damn without a citation, then don't trust me.

But if you think that perhaps there is veracity in what I wrote and are interested in my "source" or "inspiration", then ask in that vein instead of demanding a citation (as TS did) as if this place is a monument of rigorous debate, or offering some condescending, time-wasting, hypocritical lecture on why a citation is needed when it clearly is not.

WTH do you think citation needed is referring to if you don't think it's asking for a source? 1oyvey.gif Are you honest not familiar with its origin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #59 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

 

"Apple has reportedly..."

 

"What I've heard:..."

 

This is all sourced from Gruber, who has been wrong many times in the past. It's a rumor, but not a fact. All we need is one "anonymous source" these days to proclaim everything as fact. Maybe it has some truth to it and maybe it does not. 

Everything you write is factually based?

 

Show me all relevant citations proving that Gruber has been wrong "many" times. Apparently, this is needed or you are wasting everyone's time. Otherwise, it's just a rumor.

post #60 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


WTH do you think citation needed is referring to if you don't think it's asking for a source? 1oyvey.gif

Two different things.

post #61 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


WTH do you think citation needed is referring to if you don't think it's asking for a source? 1oyvey.gif Are you honest not familiar with its origin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed

Ah yes, Appleinsider is the paragon of factual rigor on the same level as Wikipedia. You are f---ing kidding me.

post #62 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Two different things.

No, they are same. You have the right to state falsified claims as unwavering fact on this forum but don't expect anyone to think you're being reasonable, rationale or honest when you state your opinion or rumours.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #63 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Ah yes, Appleinsider is the paragon of factual rigor on the same level as Wikipedia. You are f---ing kidding me.

Being an open forum does mean that there is a lot of crap that gets posted but your juvenile comments that you don't have to be responsible for your own words because others started it is really pathetic. You were given the benefit of the doubt and shown respect when a source was inquired but instead of providing one or apologizing for improper wording you've just shown to everyone that reads this thread that your words are neither to be trusted nor respected.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #64 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

One of the problems is that there are too many people who go to the event for the scoop on Apple products and announcements. They are mostly reporters who come in as developers and while they may have some background they are not true developers.

Apple needs a bigger venue and needs to have more options for reporters at the event, or move the product announcements to a more open larger venue.

 

The reporters attending the Keynote on Monday are NOT attendees at the event and are not counted against the 5,000 cap. You need to have a paid developer account to buy a ticket. 

post #65 of 87

They could theoretically sell tickets separately to the keynotes vs the workshops, but the workshops are really the cool thing about going to WWDC. You can watch a video of the keynote anywhere. But if you're an iOS developer, getting to talk directly to engineers who built the platform and even have them give you advice on your code... you can't scale that up. There are only so many Apple engineers. 

post #66 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Ah yes, Appleinsider is the paragon of factual rigor on the same level as Wikipedia. You are f---ing kidding me.

Then don't read it, and PLEASE STOP hijacking its forums with your angry and insulting posts. Sheeesh. 

post #67 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Perhaps not a huge disadvantage. But I can tell you from first hand experience that being able to talk to an Apple developer really opens your eyes. In the rare instance, you might make a friend who will provide the odd insight that becomes a real ongoing advantage.

 

Sure, the "networking" is important if you can make such a connection and it's easier face to face than in email.  But frankly, you kinda have to stand out anyway and if you do then you'll likely be in position to leverage other opportunities that come your way as well. 

 

A killer app attracts attention.  Competence attracts attention.

post #68 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

All this is a bit silly, isn't it, folks?

 

Any of you follow discussions on Branch? Here is one involving some of the most clued-in Apple bloggers discussing what they've heard about iOS 7 development delays: http://branch.com/b/apple-to-begin-iphone-production-this-quarter. Allegedly, engineers from OSX development are being pulled to help, just as they were back in 2007. You will find some sweet nuggets about the UI revamp, too. Emphasis on the word nuggets intended, because it is not a long discussion. My personal opinion is that these guys are generally in the know.

 

Sorry if I have overstepped my bounds here by intervening. But it's really not that amusing to watch you folks engage in a Seinfeld-esque debate.

 

Of course it's silly TS and Soli are involved.   I have no clue why anyone would demand proof of a rumor espoused in a passing comment anyway...especially when even more absurd things are "stated as fact" regularly and everyone else knows by context it's just opinion or guess.  That iOS7 is late is obviously in that category.  Those that actually know wont tell.  Those in the know will guess, sometimes correctly, sometimes not.

 

Branch is pretty interesting...what used to go on hidden in private emails or on normal twitter is much nicer on Branch.

post #69 of 87
One solution for this problem is to limit individuals attendance to once every other year. This will give people who didn't attend a chance. Also they can reduce organizations to 2 seats instead of 5. They really need to figure out a way to give people better chances. They did something smart this year by limiting ticket purchases to registered developers as of the announcement not the time tickets go on sale.
post #70 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

 

Of course it's silly TS and Soli are involved.   I have no clue why anyone would demand proof of a rumor espoused in a passing comment anyway...especially when even more absurd things are "stated as fact" regularly and everyone else knows by context it's just opinion or guess.  That iOS7 is late is obviously in that category.  Those that actually know wont tell.  Those in the know will guess, sometimes correctly, sometimes not.

 

Branch is pretty interesting...what used to go on hidden in private emails or on normal twitter is much nicer on Branch.

Well, I don't know most people here. But I do know that Gruber guards his reputation zealously. It's true what someone said - Gruber has been wrong. But wrong many times? I don't know about that. Gruber is always clear about whether he's speculating or he has heard from inside sources. Here he seems to be suggesting the latter. He is also not the only one stating one (although others might be echoing him in order to appear to be in the know).

 

I am not surprised that iOS7 is not "on schedule". First of all, they are overdue for a significant upgrade. Second, if they intend to bring in Jony Ive's changes to the user interface, they have had barely 8 months to work on that. Regardless, can't wait!!

post #71 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearheart View Post

 

The reporters attending the Keynote on Monday are NOT attendees at the event and are not counted against the 5,000 cap. You need to have a paid developer account to buy a ticket. 

Some bloggers and Apple fans pay for a developer account even though they are not developers and never write any code. It's their way of "staying involved". Going to WWDC to rub shoulders with Apple folks is a pilgrimage trip for them. It's not that costly to get an account.

post #72 of 87
Quote:
It's last year's invite with the squares superimposed.

 

You have a point. The coloured squares are certainly reminiscent of the 2012 logo...just stacked. However, the font/typography still feels like a departure from what I'm used to seeing.

 

post #73 of 87
Originally Posted by nut View Post
…a rumor espoused in a passing comment…

 

Espoused as fact.


…when even more absurd things are "stated as fact" regularly…

 

Such as?

 

Originally Posted by jonvdveen View Post
However, the font/typography still feels like a departure from what I'm used to seeing.

 

Isn't it just Myriad Pro Light with the kerning turned down to insane levels? We're not accustomed to seeing anything in MPL unless it's a number or the word "Air". 

 

Let's see… 

 

 

Ah, nope. 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #74 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

What is this nonsense about "need"? This demand itself is a waste of time (yours and mine, but perhaps not of Tallest because he does nothing but badger people here anyhow). I let my words speak for me.

If you deem me unintelligent and unprovocative, then ignore me. If you think my track record is such that my words are not worth a damn without a citation, then don't trust me.

But if you think that perhaps there is veracity in what I wrote and are interested in my "source" or "inspiration", then ask in that vein instead of demanding a citation (as TS did) as if this place is a monument of rigorous debate, or offering some condescending, time-wasting, hypocritical lecture on why a citation is needed when it clearly is not.

WTH do you think citation needed is referring to if you don't think it's asking for a source? 1oyvey.gif Are you honest not familiar with its origin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed

Ok, I'll jump in.

The problem with wikipedia (one of my most used websites) that is obvious to anybody who has ever used it, is that people (i.e., "dick-heads"), tag "citation needed" to ANYTHING. Often things that do not require citation.You see it all the time. right?

Sugar: a sweet<citation needed> substance derived from...

post #75 of 87

Until Apple themselves says that there is a schedule to actually delay, there is no factual basis to the term "behind schedule" and iOS 7 or whatever.  Apple hasn't  announced anything, much less a date.  Until an actual date is announced, nothing is "delayed"

post #76 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


It's last year's invite with the squares superimposed.

That's one way of looking at it. One can look for possibilities or one can look for reasons why they don't exist. Personally, I prefer to indulge in the more imaginative and exciting alternative. We will see soon!

post #77 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post

Until Apple themselves says that there is a schedule to actually delay, there is no factual basis to the term "behind schedule" and iOS 7 or whatever.  Apple hasn't  announced anything, much less a date.  Until an actual date is announced, nothing is "delayed"

Glad you set me straight. I stand corrected.

 

lol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.gif

post #78 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0h1b4 View Post

I've pushed buy ticket, entered my credentials and got error message from the server.

Retried a few times, and then sold out by 10:02am

This is totally bullsh*t.
This might mean there website overloaded, and chose you to get kicked out.

Well it is near with the number one OS for the market.(and the second)

Anybody else notice that under it says MMX3 does anybody know what that means or is it a secret relevance coming.
post #79 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

WWDC 2010: 8 days
WWDC 2011: 12 hrs
WWDC 2012: 2 hrs
WWDC 2013: 2 min

Holy fucking shit. 

By 2020 you'll need to book your children in while they are still in the womb so they can attend the 2035 event
post #80 of 87

is there any other event such as concert, sport event, got its ticket sold out faster than 2 minutes? this should goes to guiness book of record or something..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple immediately sells out of WWDC 2013 tickets