or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple reportedly offering WWDC tickets to select developers after quick sell-out

Apple reportedly offering WWDC tickets to select developers after quick sell-out

post #1 of 51
After selling out of tickets to its Worldwide Developers Conference in less than two minutes, Apple is reportedly calling a select number of developers with a chance to purchase.

WWDC

As noted by MacRumors, Apple has been reaching out to registered members of its developer program with offers to purchase WWDC 2013 tickets after a record sellout saw all passes sell out in less than two minutes.

A tweet from Red Sweater Software's Daniel Jalkut was first to confirm Apple's move:

April 25, 2013

Other developers have tweeted or posted on their personal blogs that Apple is contacting these people directly with ticket offers. It is unknown how many developers are part of the second chance campaign.

For those who didn't get a chance to purchase ticket and failed to receive a call from Apple, the company will be making video recordings of all WWDC 2013 session available online to registered developers.

WWDC 2013 will take place between June 10 through 14 at Moscone West in San Francisco, Calif. In an unprecedented move, Apple plans to reveal both iOS 7 and OS X 10.9 at the conference, with beta builds of the pre-release software set to be provided to developers at that time.
post #2 of 51
On a unrelated note, first time I saw the logo, nice look. A change from the usual.
post #3 of 51

Yeah the logo is some kind of stack of app’s icons viewed from above... I wonder if that’s a glimpse into the not to distant future of iOS/OsX 

post #4 of 51
Wonder what Scott Forstall thinks of WWDC selling out in 2 minutes? 1wink.gif
post #5 of 51
Some thing it has to do with John Ivy taking over and flattening the overall look of iOS.. Others think the mirror'd WWDC is reflective of new AirPlay features and tech.. others think this is kind of like the the different colors of phones they may offer..

Who knows.. they always put some hidden hint in the logo every year. lol
post #6 of 51
Time to split iOS and Mac OS into two separate events.
post #7 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

Could iOS & MAC OS ever be 1 and the same?
post #8 of 51
Originally Posted by Everett Ruess View Post

I sure hope not.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #9 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

Some thing it has to do with John Ivy taking over and flattening the overall look of iOS.. Others think the mirror'd WWDC is reflective of new AirPlay features and tech.. others think this is kind of like the the different colors of phones they may offer..

Who knows.. they always put some hidden hint in the logo every year. lol

Who's John Ivy?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #10 of 51
I wonder how WS will spin this negatively: Apple begging developers to come to conference.
post #11 of 51
They're not reaching out to "select developers". A number of people's purchases failed with an error message on the last step of the transaction, after they had added the ticket to their cart and entered their payment info. Apple's contacting those people and allowing them to complete the purchase.
post #12 of 51

Good of Apple to do this. It should assuage those let down and frustrated by the system failure.

post #13 of 51
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post
…the system failure.

How did the system fail? The system worked perfectly, otherwise it wouldn't have been sold out.

post #14 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Who's John Ivy?

I think he's friends with Jeb Stevos.
Edited by SolipsismX - 4/25/13 at 7:27pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #15 of 51
OS X and iOS are by design intended for different target platforms. Stop dreaming about a merging of the two. They were designed, from the get go, to split above the kernel.
post #16 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juil View Post

Yeah the logo is some kind of stack of app’s icons viewed from above... I wonder if that’s a glimpse into the not to distant future of iOS/OsX 

Go Launchpad!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #17 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosmash View Post

They're not reaching out to "select developers". A number of people's purchases failed with an error message on the last step of the transaction, after they had added the ticket to their cart and entered their payment info. Apple's contacting those people and allowing them to complete the purchase.

If so, that's really great. I hope it's not a 'select' group that is on some secret 'A' list.
post #18 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How did the system fail? The system worked perfectly, otherwise it wouldn't have been sold out.

Because the system crashed in the middle of purchases!!!  Then Apple had to manually call people up to reinstate their cart and purchase.  So in reality, they never sold out in 68 seconds.  It just took 68 seconds for the system to grind to a halt.  I suspect the last ticket was sold via telephone much later in the day.

Not to mention, ticket activations were down most of the day.

So not as perfect as you might think!

post #19 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by boborama View Post

Because the system crashed in the middle of purchases!!!  Then Apple had to manually call people up to reinstate their cart and purchase.  So in reality, they never sold out in 68 seconds.  It just took 68 seconds for the system to grind to a halt.  I suspect the last ticket was sold via telephone much later in the day.

Not to mention, ticket activations were down most of the day.

So not as perfect as you might think!

I agree with the system having faults but I don't think one can reasonably say it didn't sell out since those people who were set in the cart are still being picked, presumably by their timestamps.

Also note that the call only informs them, and they'll get an email and 12 hours to complete the purchase. Whatever number they didn't complete in that time are surely there more than enough people within that first two minutes to fill the remains seats.

post #20 of 51
Originally Posted by boborama View Post
So in reality, they never sold out in 68 seconds.

See that image at the top of the page? Looks like they sold out. The article also pitches this as a "second round" of ticket sales, due to the quick sellout.

post #21 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juil View Post

Looks like jiggle app mode.
Quote:

Maybe his system failed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Go Launchpad!
It is nice but seems it good be betterly integrated.
post #22 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

It is nice but seems it good be betterly integrated.

Definitely.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #23 of 51
Quote:

No, it isn't.

What do you think all that "Back to the Mac" was about? It wasn't about merging the OSs, but various things Apple learned from iOS were incorporated into Mountain Lion. A good and coordinated user experience in both OSs is very important for Apple to maintain, so there needs to continue to be close coordination between the two OSs, and developers from each/both need to be involved. As much of a desire there is for developers to attend, as evidenced by the rapid ticket sell-outs year after year, this is also a major logistical expense for Apple, too.

Daniel Swanson

Daniel Swanson

post #24 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett Ruess View Post

MS tried that with Windoze 8. Look how that's working out!

There are many distinct and extensive differences between the two OSs and how apps are designed, built, and run in each.

Daniel Swanson

Daniel Swanson

post #25 of 51

Is it just me or does anyone else see a kind of old tv set screen in this logo?:)

Apple TV apps?

post #26 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad1k View Post

Is it just me or does anyone else see a kind of old tv set screen in this logo?1smile.gif

Apple TV apps?

I sure hope there are is an Apple TV SDK and app store coming this year but I wouldn't read into that. One can just as easily point out that the rounded cornered rectangles have 1) been used extensively by apple, 2) that the TV shape is 4:3 or 16:9 not 1:1, and 3) that the shape has more in common with app icons on iOS between they fairly equal length sides.
Edited by SolipsismX - 4/25/13 at 10:11pm

post #27 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Wonder what Scott Forstall thinks of WWDC selling out in 2 minutes? 1wink.gif

Why care? Who in the public really knows why Apple got rid of the guy, but his long history with first NeXt, and then with Apple who was respected by Jobs should be held in proper regard. The change might be exciting, but his past contributions as an original creator of OSX and champion for a smaller iPad should remembered.

post #28 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad1k View Post

Apple TV apps?
I like that interpretation. But I can't get away from this being about the coming together of IOS / OSX and importantly iCloud. Confluence, not to be confused with merging. With services increasingly moving to the cloud, the seemingly massive expansion of Apple's server farms, and aps increasingly becoming a multi device deal, the logo suggests to me it's more about apps working as one across devices irrespective of os than about one or the other os.
post #29 of 51
Quote:

That actually makes sense.  That's exactly what happened to me, and when I tried to follow-up, I couldn't because it was sold out.  I got a call at about 6pm this evening from Apple Developer Services asking if I still wanted to attend.  They're sending me registration completion information tomorrow.

I was wondering what happened.  Now it is becoming clear.

And to the person who says it worked because they sold out:  I'm wondering if the incomplete transactions were included in the count, even though they shouldn't have been.  Apple could have a) voided the transactions completely, forcing them to put the registrations back up for sale, which would have caused a public relations gaffe; b) sent them down the memory hole, thus leaving some tickets unsold but unavailable; or c) contacted those of us who got caught in whatever the snafu was, and offer a chance to complete the transaction.

Looks like option c) was their choice.  It makes sense from a public relations stand-point.  And I'm happy, to boot!

post #30 of 51

I think they should go even further. Not just contact people who's transactions errored, but make sure all the major Apple developers who want tickets get them.

We all know what the significant apps are on the Mac and iDevices. Actually ring them up and offer them tickets. It's supposed to be for the developers and I wonder how many people who got tickets were just media or fans.

Because really, having all the top developers in one place, bouncing ideas off each other and off Apple, is important for the platform.

post #31 of 51
Has anyone actually received their email yet? On the phone the person that contacted me only mentioned that I would have 12 hours to complete the purchase, but didn't tell me when the email would arrive. Other sites talking about this topic mentioned that we would receive one within 12 hours but I think that was just miscommunication.
post #32 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I think they should go even further. Not just contact people who's transactions errored, but make sure all the major Apple developers who want tickets get them.

We all know what the significant apps are on the Mac and iDevices. Actually ring them up and offer them tickets. It's supposed to be for the developers and I wonder how many people who got tickets were just media or fans.

Because really, having all the top developers in one place, bouncing ideas off each other and off Apple, is important for the platform.
I thought you had to have a paid developer account before tickets went on sale in order to get them? The media doesn't have to buy these tickets to get access to the keynote (which is all they care about). I kind of doubt just general fans have a developer account and are coughing up $1600 to attend this.

But maybe Apple needs to reserve some tickets for top developers and have the first come first serve for everyone else? People are complaining about them pre-announcing. But last year was worse. When tickets went on sale most people on west coast or overseas were probably sleeping.
post #33 of 51
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Maybe his system failed?

The failure of their registration website did not mean everyone didn't succeed in completing their transaction. It clearly failed for some people and therefore clearly didn't work perfectly. But I get the feeling you are jumping on me based on some kind of defensive reflect around here. I am not interested in whatever fights you folks seem to enjoy. Please leave me out of this.

post #34 of 51
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post
Please leave me out of this.

Then don't stoop to sensationalism.

post #35 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennystl View Post

Has anyone actually received their email yet? On the phone the person that contacted me only mentioned that I would have 12 hours to complete the purchase, but didn't tell me when the email would arrive. Other sites talking about this topic mentioned that we would receive one within 12 hours but I think that was just miscommunication.

Yeah, the call I received was pretty brief and a bit confusing.  I thought they said that they'd be sending me the information on how to purchase within 12 hours, but it could be that I have 12 hours from the time they contact me to complete the purchase, because I haven't received an email or phone call yet.

post #36 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I thought you had to have a paid developer account before tickets went on sale in order to get them? The media doesn't have to buy these tickets to get access to the keynote (which is all they care about).

Wouldn't surprise me at all if some media sources are willing to shell out $1600 to have eyes and ears around Apple engineers all week in the hopes of getting some inside information.

post #37 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Yeah, the call I received was pretty brief and a bit confusing.  I thought they said that they'd be sending me the information on how to purchase within 12 hours, but it could be that I have 12 hours from the time they contact me to complete the purchase, because I haven't received an email or phone call yet.

Well that makes me feel a little bit better that I'm not the only one.  I have been monitoring my developer account for more info but still nothing, it's been well over 12 hours since the call.  Hopefully they are just trying to get through all the calls and then send out the info, otherwise I may try calling the number that they called me from at some point later today.  Hopefully this wasn't another system error.

post #38 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennystl View Post

Well that makes me feel a little bit better that I'm not the only one.  I have been monitoring my developer account for more info but still nothing, it's been well over 12 hours since the call.  Hopefully they are just trying to get through all the calls and then send out the info, otherwise I may try calling the number that they called me from at some point later today.  Hopefully this wasn't another system error.

I haven't heard anything either.  Not sure what to think.

post #39 of 51
Quote:

With Apple moving towards more integration between the to and many folks writing for both, I don't see this happening

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #40 of 51
Quote:

They're not reaching out to "select developers".

Ummm yes they are.
Quote:

A number of people's purchases failed with an error message on the last step of the transaction, after they had added the ticket to their cart and entered their payment info. Apple's contacting those people and allowing them to complete the purchase.

That's how they are selecting them.

But I get your point. The wording makes it sound like they are playing favs in top of the 5k that was available.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple reportedly offering WWDC tickets to select developers after quick sell-out