or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Tim Cook's coffee date crushes records with $560,000 bid for charity [u]

Tim Cook's coffee date crushes records with $560,000 bid for charity [u] - Page 2

post #41 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzt123 View Post

Charitybuzz is a for-profit company that keeps 20% of the money donated BEFORE donating "100% of net proceeds" to the charity.

check out wikipedia

First of all, there are many companies who are hired by charities to raise money for them ... nothing new, or wrong, with that. Secondly, "100% of Net proceeds explains the 20% of withheld $$$. Emphasis on NET!
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #42 of 55
Quote:
Bid prices do not include travel and accommodations

Or coffee
post #43 of 55

Something has gone wrong here, I don't think the person will pay in the end. They can put up a message on their website that all bids are legally binding but surely you're not bound until you sign something? And what if the winner is in another country, pretty hard to make them pay.

post #44 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

I'm bidding 50 cents to have coffee with Steve Ballmer assuming he pays for the coffee.

I'll up it to a dollar but only if he dances.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #45 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Stop it. You'll that'll make NBC News' Brian Williams jealous.

Actually, it is Brian William who is the highest bidder. 

post #46 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I'll up it to a dollar but only if he dances.

Gross; then he'll sweat. 1embarassed.gif

post #47 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I wonder how much this would go for if Steve Jobs was also the with Tim and Jony controlling Steve like in Weekend At Bernie's.

Too soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Imagine what the price would be to do the same thing with Steve Jobs.  It would probably be double..
I expect this to be nearly a million when finished, if Steve was the person it would probably already be a million, and be at least 2.5 when it happens
post #48 of 55
This kind of money being shelled out should cover the cost of a few coffees at Starbucks for two
post #49 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

I imagine two scenarios where an individual can justify this kind of money for time with Cook:

1. An entrepreneur with a good idea and deep pockets.

2. A philanthropist with deep pockets and an appreciation for Apple.

Can anyone think of other scenarios?

If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
post #50 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Imagine what the price would be to do the same thing with Steve Jobs.  It would probably be double..

Really?

post #51 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Really  think a disgruntled shareholder is going to be screened out and even more importantly, a person would spend over 1/2 million to just shout at Cook because the share price has dropped. Come on, these  shareholders have a right to his time and If it is shareholder who unhappy, that person will voice his opinions, since if that person has 1/2 million to give, then the person is smart and not stupid to waste more money for such purposes.

Very much doubt shareholders of that level are not known to Cook and vice versa and there will be a discussion, but in a good manner.

Some of situations, we discuss in here and just in people's heads for enjoyment.

Soul

post #52 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Really  think a disgruntled shareholder is going to be screened out and even more importantly, a person would spend over 1/2 million to just shout at Cook because the share price has dropped.

Why shout at Cook about share price?

The current share price has nothing to do with Cook, Apple's earnings or anything Cook/Apple have or haven't done over the last 2 years. 

post #53 of 55

It really doesn't matter how much someone pays for the coffee meet up, if they want no compromises then they need to be serving our coffee. I don't care if they mention our name or if we have to have an NDA, it just doesn't make sense to have such a high profile event with less than perfect coffee. We're here for you Tim. Just let us know.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #54 of 55
Charity aside, I can't think of any logical reason to spend anything to speak with Tim Cook. I wouldn't even pay $100. I don't know what these people expect to be getting out of it. Clearly they expect to get something because why else would they be bidding on this auction and not simply giving money directly to the charity in question, either anonymously or not?

The only (illogical) reason I can think of is gloating rights, but even that's a stretch because who in their right mind would gloat about meeting him? He's marginally more interesting than Bullmer, who's marginally more interesting than watching paint dry (debatable). I'm sure he's a nice person but if anyone thinks he's going to do anything but be polite, pretend to be interested in what you have to say and give the same vague non-answers to questions he gives everywhere else I think they'll be sadly disappointed. A whole day with Bill Clinton was orders of magnitude better value than meeting Tim Cook. At least I wouldn't want to leave before the allotted time-frame out of sheer boredom.

On the upside I checked out the other auctions on that site and there's some good stuff, just not this one.
post #55 of 55

It's at $600,000 now and in the "Legal Terms" tab it states that it is "Valid for 2 people" thought that was interesting.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Tim Cook's coffee date crushes records with $560,000 bid for charity [u]