or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Loyalty to Apple driving iPhone market share gains vs. Android - survey
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Loyalty to Apple driving iPhone market share gains vs. Android - survey - Page 2

post #41 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

In fact Peter Openheimer referenced IDC in this last conference call, saying Apple declined less than the PC market in unit sales so it increased share.

During a conference call, CFO Peter Oppenheimer told financials analysts that IDC had pegged the PC market decline 14 percent during the same period

From

http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2013/04/23/apple-defies-speculation-reports-quarterly-records/

The fact that Oppenheimer referenced them means zip. Zilch. Zero. Their methodology makes no sense whatsoever.

 

You need to look up the meaning of "actual" (which is what I was responding to in your post in this thread).

 

If we're in the world of estimates, there's a lot of other data -- and collateral evidence -- that contradicts IDC's numbers. I asked you guys a simple set of questions about IDC's "methodology" and none of you were able to answer that. That still stands.

post #42 of 64

Even one of your links supports my statement.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #43 of 64
Gi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Even one of your links supports my statement.
Give it a rest. No one but Apple releases actual numbers. IDC guesses.
post #44 of 64
"It makes an awful first impression, slippery and slimy and simply unpleasant... "


I originally thought he was referring to Samsung rather than the phone.
post #45 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post

I was an Android user for 3 years and only switched to the iPhone 5 last November.

I just went through my contact book on my iPhone to do my own survey. Out of 135 contacts, 120 are iPhone users and 14 are Android and 1 Blackberry.

Of the people I come into contact with, I have never heard of one complaint about their iPhone. Son are still using iPhone 3, 4, 4s and 5.

I am still amazed of how efficient and easy ALL MY contacts, mail, calendar, shared calendars, music, books, notes, reminders, and apps all just sync beautifully between all my devices.


This is why I, frankly, have a difficult time believing that anyone actually knowingly prefers Google Android or switches from Apple iOS to Google Android. The sole exceptions are Google employees (and their family members) as well as those with nervous ticks and tinkerers although an argument could be made that the Apple iPhone is a better smartphone for people who like to tinker as well.

As far as I am concerned, the only Android smartphones that even near rivaling the iPhone are "vanilla" Android from HTC.
post #46 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Even one of your links supports my statement.

 

In what bizarro world?lol.gif

 

OK... time to move along....

post #47 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

The sole exceptions are Google employees (and their family members) as well as those with nervous ticks and tinkerers ....

....and, in all fairness, people in countries like India and China where Apple is really not fully or readily available yet on all carriers.

post #48 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

In what bizarro world?lol.gif

OK... time to move along....

Try reading the links that you provide. Go on the velti.com link and read.
Quote:
Athough the Samsung Galaxy S3 was released at the end of May 2012, the iPhone 5, released in mid-September 2012, has already caught up to the Samsung Galaxy S3 in impression share. The iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy S3 each held 50 percent of impression share,respectively, by the end of November

That's from YOUR bizarro world.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #49 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

This is why I, frankly, have a difficult time believing that anyone actually knowingly prefers Google Android or switches from Apple iOS to Google Android. The sole exceptions are Google employees (and their family members) as well as those with nervous ticks and tinkerers although an argument could be made that the Apple iPhone is a better smartphone for people who like to tinker as well.

As far as I am concerned, the only Android smartphones that even near rivaling the iPhone are "vanilla" Android from HTC.

There aren't any 'vanilla' Android phones made by HTC. Come back when you actually know something about Android, not what you've heard.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #50 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

In what bizarro world?lol.gif

OK... time to move along....

Try reading the links that you provide. Go on the velti.com link and read.
Quote:
Athough the Samsung Galaxy S3 was released at the end of May 2012, the iPhone 5, released in mid-September 2012, has already caught up to the Samsung Galaxy S3 in impression share. The iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy S3 each held 50 percent of impression share,respectively, by the end of November

That's from YOUR bizarro world.

Um.... you're repeating yourself. It's the same data you put out earlier, for one phone against another one phone. "iPhones" and "Android" mean something else altogether.

 

Ugh. Back full circle.

post #51 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Last I checked internet usage between the iPhone 5 and SGS 3 was almost 50/50.

 

Yes, weighing a phone model that had been available for 5 months against one that had been out for 9 months (as of February when those stats were measured) is a totally valid comparison.

post #52 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

Yes, weighing a phone model that had been available for 5 months against one that had been out for 9 months (as of February when those stats were measured) is a totally valid comparison.

Sure it is. Using your logic we shouldn't compare iOS to Android ever because it's more than a year older.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #53 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

Yes, weighing a phone model that had been available for 5 months against one that had been out for 9 months (as of February when those stats were measured) is a totally valid comparison.

Sure it is. Using your logic we shouldn't compare iOS to Android ever because it's more than a year older.

"Logic" is not a word that I would associate with your posts.lol.gif

post #54 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Um.... you're repeating yourself. It's the same data you put out earlier, for one phone against another one phone. "iPhones" and "Android" mean something else altogether.

Ugh. Back full circle.

Large screens was being discussed when you decided to chime in. Leading the charge with big screens is Samsung. I haven't seen any data on the Note 2 usage so I used data for the SGS 3. iOS beats out Android on web usage because there are many more devices in use. While Android tablets have gotten better they still lack the quality apps the iPad has, so tablet usage will fall in favor of the iPad.
Edited by dasanman69 - 4/26/13 at 2:54pm
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #55 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudit View Post

Unfortunately, I think this momentum is going to be short lived. Apple is not keeping up with the market they essentially created. They no longer have the agility to respond quickly market changes. It's going to be summer 2014 before we see a larger screen size. Apple may be increasing market share (mass market...lower margin), but they are losing the cutting edge battle.

 

What percentage of Android phone sales are a "larger screen size" that guys like you are endlessly harping on about?

 

The reality is it's not likely to be more than 10-15%.

 

Making a screen size of 4" or less the most popular, borne out by the top selling smartphone models on sale today having 3.5 and 4" screens, i.e. iPhones.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #56 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


Yes and software lockin is non existent. My point is that Apple can take - and keep share - in the medium to lower medium end market, and hold it. But they need a cheaper phone.

 

Except Apple aren't in the market of sub $200 outright smartphones, like a lot of Android manufacturers are.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #57 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

What percentage of Android phone sales are a "larger screen size" that guys like you are endlessly harping on about?

The reality is it's not likely to be more than 10-15%.

Making a screen size of 4" or less the most popular, borne out by the top selling smartphone models on sale today having 3.5 and 4" screens, i.e. iPhones.

Which I'd say is true if people were choosing the iPhone solely on screen size.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #58 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Regardless of its source, or what others are saying, the phenomenon described here, in the US at least, is very real.

 

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I am questioning how you can make that assertion when data from behaviour- and purchase-tracking experts mostly indicate otherwise, and even they, with all their resources, can not reach consensus on percentage of marketshare, use patterns or buyer intentions.

post #59 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

I'm still not sure why the group that does the _least_ with their phones thinks that screen-size is the cutting-edge value...

 

Huh? What are you talking about? I use my iPhone for everything short of peeing, and I want a bigger screen. So do lots of others like me.

 

If you mean only Android users want a larger screen you're wrong, but they WOULD be the only ones who can actually GET one.

post #60 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Says all kinds of data on web usage, ad impressions, app sales, media sales, e-commerce,.... I might be missing a few.

 

 

So now we make no distinction between those who bought an Android device and those who want a bigger screen? WTF? That makes no sense whatsoever. I have an iPhone and use it extensively, but WISH it had a bigger screen. Wanna tell me how the heck you found a usage metric that tracks that?

 

It should also be obvious that the areas you mention apply to ALL Android devices, with no distinction made regarding screen size. For all you, I or anyone else knows, the owners of the larger-screen phones may be the most active users.

post #61 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Which I'd say is true if people were choosing the iPhone solely on screen size.

 

...as opposed to IN SPITE of the screen size, like in my case. Although I bought an iPhone, I really really really really would have a liked a larger screen.

post #62 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Huh? What are you talking about? I use my iPhone for everything short of peeing...

There's probably an app for that but you'll need a lightning cable to attach.
post #63 of 64

While we're reviewing surveys I'd like to do my own, whether you're an Apple fan or Android fan.

 

Who here believes in the next four years Android is going to remain perfectly stagnant while Apple market share more than doubles?

post #64 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post

While we're reviewing surveys I'd like to do my own, whether you're an Apple fan or Android fan.

 

Who here believes in the next four years Android is going to remain perfectly stagnant while Apple market share more than doubles?

 

I am absolutely not qualified to make relative market share predictions, but my utterly baseless reaction is that it seems kinda unlikely. We may well see Apple claw back some market share, but the zero vs. 2X scenario is so inconsistent with what's happening now that something really serious would have to change for that to play out.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Loyalty to Apple driving iPhone market share gains vs. Android - survey