or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple sends informational mailer to neighbors of forthcoming Campus 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple sends informational mailer to neighbors of forthcoming Campus 2

post #1 of 55
Thread Starter 
Coming on the heels of Apple's filing of its most up-to-date Campus 2 build plans, the company has once again sent out mailers to neighbors in the surrounding Cupertino area, updating them with the latest news and asking for input regarding the mammoth project.

Signed by Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer, the mailer gives a brief overview of Apple's project, including highlights regarding Campus 2's environmentally green initiatives like solar panels and fuel cells, reports MacRumors. Also discussed are the various improvements to city landscaping and roadwork Apple intends to help fund as part of the construction process.

Mailer
Source: MacRumors


In addition, the note asks the community for any questions and concerns regarding the project, which is scheduled to continue construction into 2016. Apple sent out a similar mailer in May of 2012.

The letter in full:

Dear Neighbor,

We'd like to update you on the progress of Apple Campus 2. This campus will be a new home for our company and more than 13,000 locally based on employees. It also represents our continued long-term investment in the local community.

At Apple, the environment is a top priority, and we've designed Apple Campus 2 with cutting-edge features to make it energy-efficient and environmentally sustainable. Several of these green technologies are highlighted in this update.

As at our existing campus on Infinite Loop, we are committed to 100% renewable energy to power Apple Campus 2. This will include onsite generation from photovoltaics and fuel cells. As part of this effort, approximately 8 megawatts of photovoltaics will be installed, creating one the largest installations of its kind on a corporate campus anywhere in the world.

Apple started in Cupertino, and we are excited to continue to grow here. As we build the new campus, we also plan to invest in new roadways and intersection improvements, add new sidewalks and better bike lanes, and plant new trees in newly created medians in the surrounding neighborhood.

We have approached our new campus project with the same care and attention to detail that we give every Apple product, and we value your input. If you have questions or comments or would like more information about Apple Campus 2, please fill out and return the postage-paid response card included in this mailing. We also encourage you to visit the City of Cupertino's website at www.cupertino.org to learn more about our plans.


Apple submitted revised plans for its "spaceship" campus on Wednesday, outlining a few new additions to the build, including perimeter pedestrian walkways and a bike path. Friday's letter included a sampling of artistic Campus 2 renderings originally attached to the prospectus submitted to the city.
post #2 of 55
It's a form of advertising... to their own neighbours.
post #3 of 55
That center Apple logo is a direct descendent of NeXT Campus where you walk into building one and with those exceedingly 1/32" closely spaced floors, italian sofas a sea of minimalism turns one's focus to a glowing NeXT Logo behind the receptionist who at that time had a NeXT Turbo Color pizza box.
post #4 of 55

For those who would like a slightly larger, more readable version:

 

 

 

post #5 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It's a form of advertising... to their own neighbours.

No, it is called being polite thereby not pissing off its neighbors and customers who are going to have to put up with the construction. This likely will help with people complaining, and it is a very cool gesture. Many businesses move into neighborhoods without similar communications.
post #6 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It's a form of advertising... to their own neighbours.

 

Everything sucks, everything is crap, nothing is worth the price, every action has an ulterior motive, the whole world sucks. Is it any wonder why our culture is what it is these days?

post #7 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

 

Everything sucks, everything is crap, nothing is worth the price, every action has an ulterior motive, the whole world sucks. Is it any wonder why our culture is what it is these days?

Advertising doesn't have a negative connotation for me, I was just making an identification.

post #8 of 55

That project is such a waste of money. Sure, it will be beautiful once completed, but why round? It is just an office building. You could build it with straight walls for one thousandth the cost. I believe the whole concept was simply Steve's desire for a monument to his legacy knowing he was nearing death. 

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #9 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Advertising doesn't have a negative connotation for me, I was just making an identification.

And such a brilliant one at that. /s
post #10 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That project is such a waste of money. Sure, it will be beautiful once completed, but why round? It is just an office building. You could build it with straight walls for one thousandth the cost. I believe the whole concept was simply Steve's desire for a monument to his legacy knowing he was nearing death. 

If the goal is to just build a structure to code that can support x-many people then pretty much every structure is spending too much. Has there ever been a corporate HQ that wasn't designed to stimulate the employee or visitor in some fashion? We know Apple is an "experience" company so why should we expect anything less from a new HQ that is releasing one that is over 3 decades old and much too small.

I don't agree this was Steve's desire to act like some Egyptian king. His legacy is Apple and no building will make or break that. I think he wanted a loop because of the elegance of the shape, what the glass walls and courtyard will do, and to some extent their old address is 1 Infinite Loop (so why not make a new building that is one infinite loop?).
Edited by SolipsismX - 4/27/13 at 8:23am

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #11 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That project is such a waste of money. Sure, it will be beautiful once completed, but why round? It is just an office building. You could build it with straight walls for one thousandth the cost. I believe the whole concept was simply Steve's desire for a monument to his legacy knowing he was nearing death. 

"It is just an office building."

Did you forget the sarcasm tag?
post #12 of 55
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
That project is such a waste of money.

 

You sure know that! Because you're the one renting out thousands of square feet of office space that isn't exactly what you need or would desire for your work, and to which you can't make the modifications you desire because you don't own it!

 

Ah, wait, that's Apple.


It is just an office building.

 

It's not really possible to be able to look at the design and say that, is it? Why not come back to reality?


You could build it with straight walls for one thousandth the cost.

 

[hyperbole tag needed] 1tongue.gif


I believe the whole concept was simply Steve's desire for a monument to his legacy knowing he was nearing death. 

 

Ludicrous. If anything (it's not), it's a monument to Jonathan Ive's legacy, since he's the one that designed the iPod.


Edited by Tallest Skil - 4/27/13 at 9:03am

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #13 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That project is such a waste of money. Sure, it will be beautiful once completed, but why round? It is just an office building. You could build it with straight walls for one thousandth the cost. I believe the whole concept was simply Steve's desire for a monument to his legacy knowing he was nearing death. 

 

Ah yes, the demand for mediocrity. Form has no place, only function. What the hell was Frank Lloyd Wright thinking when he designed the Guggenheim anyway? A corrugated steel pole barn would have been good enough, and much cheaper, to hang those stupid pictures in.

 

Sounds like the perfect reason for buying Android or Windows.

post #14 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It is just an office building.

You have absolutely no idea what it is. Absolutely none.  "0"

post #15 of 55
Actually, my question here is; where / what exactly is that structure in this rendering?
It's not the main building itself.
post #16 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That project is such a waste of money. Sure, it will be beautiful once completed, but why round? It is just an office building. You could build it with straight walls for one thousandth the cost. I believe the whole concept was simply Steve's desire for a monument to his legacy knowing he was nearing death. 

I know. Apple should just rent trailers and occupy a trailer park. /s
post #17 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

 

Ah yes, the demand for mediocrity. Form has no place, only function. What the hell was Frank Lloyd Wright thinking when he designed the Guggenheim anyway? A corrugated steel pole barn would have been good enough, and much cheaper, to hang those stupid pictures in.

 

I imagine the Apple employees working in their 4 square meter cubicles in Austin are far less productive than their peers in Cupertino enjoying their 4 circular meter workspace. If it were a public edifice for the appreciation of art then it could be interpreted as an extension of the art on exhibit but it is not. It is an office building - a grandiose office building.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #18 of 55
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post
I know. Apple should just rent trailers and occupy a trailer park. /s

 

 

Jonathan Ive could pull his own house right up and move in. He'd be right at home!

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #19 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I imagine the Apple employees working in their 4 square meter cubicles in Austin are far less productive than their peers in Cupertino enjoying their 4 circular meter workspace. If it were a public edifice for the appreciation of art then it could be interpreted as an extension of the art on exhibit but it is not. It is an office building - a grandiose office building.
It is a grandiose office building that is an extension of what Apple is all about - new contemporary design, new solutions, think different, making a statement ", etc etc. I find it very fitting that Apple does not create a beige square HQ, but instead simething visually stunning and technologically awesome. I also totally agree with what Solip's said above. I think Apple always like to refer to the past, to be guided by fundamental beliefs and principles that has been core to Apple since day one.
The Steve Jobs legacy theory is bullishit. I think 'the boat' is the result of a dying man wishing to make a statement and maybe (but just maybe) that is related to some deluded idea of a legacy (sounds so unlikely now that I wrote it!). But the boat is just a sad insignicant indulgence. The building is not.
post #20 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post




Jonathan Ive could pull his own house right up and move in. He'd be right at home!
Is that Jony re-imagining that car into an Aston Martin?
post #21 of 55
Originally Posted by paxman View Post
Is that Jony re-imagining that car into an Aston Martin?
Touring his estate, Jony caressed his pride and joy — “Betsy,” the ’84 Cutlass he’s owned since he moved to the States. “She run real good till about ’97. Now she’s just waitin’ on a new set of rotors,” he explained.

 

Aluminium rotors, probably.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #22 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

 I think Apple always like to refer to the past, to be guided by fundamental beliefs and principles that has been core to Apple since day one.

The Jobs' garage was rectangular on day one. 

 

I get what you and Soli are saying. I just don't like the design of the new campus. Making a statement with architecture, fashion, or other pretentious display is not something that I admire.


Edited by mstone - 4/27/13 at 9:55am

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #23 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

 

Everything sucks, everything is crap, nothing is worth the price, every action has an ulterior motive, the whole world sucks.

 

I used to suffer from this myself. It is a poor way to live.

post #24 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The Jobs' garage was rectangular on day one. 

I get what you and Soli are saying. I just don't like the design of the new campus. Making a statement with architecture, fashion, or other pretentious display is not something that I admire.

Others have made this mistake in point of view. It's not entirely for others to admire, it's for the people at Apple to do better work at changing the world. it's not a statement, it's more a part of the mental machinery of doing something new.
post #25 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

 

Jonathan Ive could pull his own house right up and move in. He'd be right at home!

 

 

 

I thought he had a British car :

 

 

 

ACD Systems Digital Imaging

 

 

(thanks for the scoopertino link, by the way !)

post #26 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Others have made this mistake in point of view. It's not entirely for others to admire, it's for the people at Apple to do better work at changing the world. it's not a statement, it's more a part of the mental machinery of doing something new.

 

The spaceship is real. Now eat your pudding.

 

 

cf-39-image.jpg

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #27 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The spaceship is real. Now eat your pudding.

Yeah, yeah. I don't think you're getting it.

Since you probably can't get acid where you are, you should eat your mushrooms. Medicine for those who lack Jobsvision.
post #28 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The Jobs' garage was rectangular on day one. 

I get what you and Soli are saying. I just don't like the design of the new campus. Making a statement with architecture, fashion, or other pretentious display is not something that I admire.

I think it's folly to presume the core goal is to make some sort of "architecture, fashion, or other pretentious" statement. I see it as Apple needing a new HQ (long overdue, really) and wanting to design the best facility possible to stimulate creativity and to encourage a happier work environment. If anything was done to prove something I'd say it's their efforts to make it as green as possible with solar and fuel cell use but I think that's a hard argument to make to say that's entirely self-serving.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #29 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

 I see it as Apple needing a new HQ (long overdue, really) and wanting to design the best facility possible to stimulate creativity and to encourage a happier work environment.

I don't buy it. It is the same as their all glass store landmarks. It is done for the attention. If it was for the benefit of a happier work environment then they should have done something similar in Austin.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #30 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't buy it. It is the same as their all glass store landmarks. It is done for the attention. If it was for the benefit of a happier work environment then they should have done something similar in Austin.

Why? Austin isn't their HQ and it's housing a fraction of the people. And why can't their HQ be inspiration to their employees across the world? I don't think that to make the HQ design valid that all their other structures have to be glass enclosed donuts. Their data centers are certainly state of the art projects but I don't see why one would expect those to be glass enclosed donuts either.

Your arguments sound like people that have pooh-poohed pretty much everything Apple ever makes. Using glass instead of plastic for a display was foolish over engineering. Using plastic instead of metal was foolish over engineering. Using milled metal instead of pressed metal was over engineering. Caring about the usability of their OSes and apps are pointless waste of time and not for people that use a real OS. The MBA with its expensive but slow CPU and lack of ODD to cut down on size and weight was foolish over engineering. The AIO design of their iMac was pointless over engineering. The internal design of their Mac Pro was foolish over engineering. Et cetera.

If one can't the see the intrinsic function in the form or design in any of those things then no amount of explanation will make it apparent. This is what Apple has always done and why so many don't get it and then suddenly get it.
Edited by SolipsismX - 4/27/13 at 11:47am

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #31 of 55
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
Your arguments sound like people that have pooh-poohed pretty much everything Apple ever makes. 

 

Right, but rather tailored such that he's pooh-poohing every building ever built. Anywhere. Under any architectural pretense.

 

I think what he's demanding is a reason this design works best for Apple, why the building needs to look like this. He wants a justification for the shape, otherwise he wants it to be a featureless rectangular prism.

 

And that's valid, I guess, but even putting no thought into it whatsoever, I can come up with at least three reasons this design works best for Apple, so I don't think this should have even made it to the "write a post complaining about it" stage.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #32 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Right, but rather tailored such that he's pooh-poohing every building ever built. Anywhere. Under any architectural pretense.

I think what he's demanding is a reason this design works best for Apple, why the building needs to look like this. He wants a justification for the shape, otherwise he wants it to be a featureless rectangular prism.

And that's valid, I guess, but even putting no thought into it whatsoever, I can come up with at least three reasons this design works best for Apple, so I don't think this should have even made it to the "write a post complaining about it" stage.

Look at the glass cube in NYC. Imagine if that was just a drag cement box atop the store with door to stairs and elevator down into the basement where the store resides? I can't imagine that would help sell their products. It certainly wouldn't stand out and grab the attention of passerby's. Since when have we decided that making something that is beautiful and functional a bad thing? It's a landmark. Do we have to explain why the Empire State Building exists, too? Does its design not have intrinsic value? Would NYC be a better city if all inspirational design were removed?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #33 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It is just an office building.

Eh, no.

"Just an office building" would just sit there.

This bastard flies.
post #34 of 55

Didn't they say that the HQ building's circular shape was partly designed as a way to keep Apple's famous internal security ?

 

That is, to keep some development groups isolated from others, but next to ones they need to be next to?  

 

--

 

The biggest fun question everyone has, is why doesn't the pool in the middle have the shape of the Apple logo?

 

I mean, c'mon.  Imagine how much free publicity they'd get from ISS photos from space of the Apple campus with the famous apple with a bite shining up from the middle of the circle!

post #35 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

 
Why? Austin isn't their HQ and it's housing a fraction of the people. And why can't their HQ be inspiration to their employees across the world? I don't think that to make the HQ design valid that all their other structures have to be glass enclosed donuts. Their data centers are certainly state of the art projects but I don't see why one would expect those to be glass enclosed donuts either.
 

1/2 is a fraction, true. 6,500 employees in Austin and 13,000 at the new Campus2

 

Data center workers actually prefer windowless workplaces. It reminds them of their early days when they lived in a basement. lol.gif

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #36 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

1/2 is a fraction, true. 6,500 employees in Austin and 13,000 at the new Campus2

I thought it was more like 3,000 but being half is still 6,500 less and it's not their HQ. I'm personally excited about this new structure and can't say I've ever cared when companies I follow relocate or add structures, which include Apple's previous developments. If Apple wants me to relocate there to design and install their network running AppleTalk I'll do it for 30% less than I would charge MS, Google or anyone else just so I can see that building.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #37 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The round glass is likely the only thing that has a huge premium for the project, unless they insist on having curved steel beams as well. In terms of form, they need a central "quad" either way, and rectangular would likely be too similar to 1 Infinite Loop. There is also something to be said about working in an inspiring environment.

I worked on a building where the curvature of the exposed steel was "value engineered" out, and it really did destroy the beauty of the form. I say good on Apple for making a statement, although as a shareholder I do hope they try to manage costs a little better.
post #38 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Look at the glass cube in NYC. Imagine if that was just a drag cement box atop the store with door to stairs and elevator down into the basement where the store resides? I can't imagine that would help sell their products. It certainly wouldn't stand out and grab the attention of passerby's. Since when have we decided that making something that is beautiful and functional a bad thing? It's a landmark. Do we have to explain why the Empire State Building exists, too? Does its design not have intrinsic value? Would NYC be a better city if all inspirational design were removed?

If the glass was so essential to selling their products why are the other 300 or so stores not made of glass? The online store is not made of glass. The few glass stores are only in famous tourist destination cities. Is is not an all or nothing situation so I agree that not all Apple buildings should be exactly the same. I just don't like the round designs or the glass designs. To me they are just superfluous. I like Apple computers and devices just fine. My opinion on the building has nothing to do with Apple. I would feel the same way if were a church or a mall or any other building. 

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #39 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If the glass was so essential to selling their products why are the other 300 or so stores not made of glass? The online store is not made of glass. The few glass stores are only in famous tourist destination cities. Is is not an all or nothing situation so I agree that not all Apple buildings should be exactly the same. I just don't like the round designs or the glass designs. To me they are just superfluous. I like Apple computers and devices just fine. My opinion on the building has nothing to do with Apple. I would feel the same way if were a church or a mall or any other building. 

Your statement creates a fallacy of composition and speaks against your argument. It's essential because Apple deemed it so. No one said that every Apple Store, physical or virtual, needs to have a physical glass cube entrance to be successful. That is the flagship among flagships store. It is a landmark building that not only markets itself but markets the success of the Apple Store and Apple.

Your opinion of what is necessary and unnecessary in other things is relevant. Do you think clothes that are more tailored or more colourful than others are unnecessary? Do you think your car's paint job outside of a rust protectant is unnecessary? What about many of the inside details? I seem to recall you owning a Mercedes.

Apple's products have always fallen under the "it's unnecessary" blanket for most people and we know Apple has a history of frugality so I think we need to examine from their PoV why they think a landmark structure is in their longterm interest. Remember when they announced the Apple Stores and the pundits blew off the idea citing Gateway, who had shops with no local products to sell and crap stores in cheap, off the beaten path locations, as proof that Apple would fail? Maybe, just maybe, what you might find to be unnecessary is actually quite necessary for what they are trying to do.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #40 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

 I seem to recall you owning a Mercedes.

Actually I have a BMW, and a Tahoe both painted grey which are my California cars. In Central America I have a white Tundra. My friend owns a Ferrari but it's black. I really dislike red cars so I am glad he choose black. I prefer more subtle styling which is why I usually dress very similar to how Jobs himself dressed sans the mock turtle neck. It seems odd to me that SJ would have these apparent conflicting design preferences between his simple attire and his over the top architecture. But he was a complex guy I guess. 

 

Edit: I meant Tahoe not Suburban.


Edited by mstone - 4/27/13 at 3:10pm

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple sends informational mailer to neighbors of forthcoming Campus 2