or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Upgraded MacBook models expected to highlight WWDC 2013
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Upgraded MacBook models expected to highlight WWDC 2013 - Page 2

post #41 of 81

From what I read, the Haswell GPU will be as fast as nVidia GT 650M. That's the same performance you'd get with $1499 21.5 iMac. 

 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6600/intel-haswell-gt3e-gpu-performance-compared-to-nvidias-geforce-gt-650m

post #42 of 81
Retina screen as option on all MacBook Pros, even those with hard drive and optical drive. That's what I want to see. People need internal storage.
post #43 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

All I am saying is that I would never ever buy a notebook with a spinning drive. As for being dropped, I am sure no component loves being dropped, but I have dropped my SSD notebooks (primarily Apple, but also Sony and Lenovo) many times, with no ill effects. I wish I could say the same for HDD notebooks.

HDDs have moving parts and therefore are more prone to breaking but I've heard heard a scenario were you can drop your notebook and have nothing but the HDD break and would have been better offer if you had an SSD. If you apply enough force to something it will break. I've seen chassises, motherboard and displays break a lot more often than a HDD from being dropped.
Quote:
I know there are devices of the same size (Sony Vaio Z-series comes to mind) which are not bigger, and have a discrete graphics subsystem. While I am sure that it would be harder to put in a discrete GPU into the smaller box, I am quite certain that the primary reason is marketing. Please feel free to disagree.

1) You're bringing up a defunct line of computers. It didn't occur to you that perhaps Sony has failed offer what customers wanted and yet you bring up a product that is no longer being made. How is that suppose to help your point in any way?

2) As previously mentioned, you can add a dGPU if you alter other aspects of the device. Apple's box volume for the Retina MBP, which doesn't use a CULV like the MBA, is only 12% more than the Sony Z Series and yet offers a lot more. Besides havng a non-Ultrabook TDP for the processor they have many more HW features, and, again, most importantly a much later battery. In fact it's well over twice the size of the battery in the Sony Series so unless Apple has invented TARDIS technology the battery in the 13" RMBPs takes up about 2x the internal space as in the Sony Z.
Edited by SolipsismX - 4/28/13 at 10:07am

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #44 of 81
We heard rumors/predictions from numerous like Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities about what to expect in upcoming Macbook refresh noted like inclusion of Hashwell processor, 802.11ac, etc but there is no discussion as due to the inherent benefits of the Hashwell%u2019s architectural advancements how overall weight of macbook pro will be reduced or longer battery life due to deeper sleep mode of processor when not used. Comments appreciated.
post #45 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by rash12 View Post

We heard rumors/predictions from numerous like Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities about what to expect in upcoming Macbook refresh noted like inclusion of Hashwell processor, 802.11ac, etc but there is no discussion as due to the inherent benefits of the Hashwell%u2019s architectural advancements how overall weight of macbook pro will be reduced or longer battery life due to deeper sleep mode of processor when not used. Comments appreciated.

This is probably your best source on what to expect: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6355/intels-haswell-architecture

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #46 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

 

Agreed.

 

Feel free to upgrade those specs, but that beautiful body needs no changing.

 

Agree there's little about the MBA that could be improved on design-wise. Except maybe the display itself. Retina and edge-to-edge glass like the MBP would be nice. I've never been crazy about that wide "border" on the MBA display…

 

Otherwise, how could it be made better form-wise? It's already nearly perfect...

post #47 of 81

If MacBooks are going to be the highlight of WWDC I'm going to be pi*sed.

post #48 of 81

Not sure why Apple has to go changing the design every year, or every other year. If it works, and it's functional and fast and does what you need it to do, don't fix it.

post #49 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

0. I have had a screen break once, but numerous head crashes. Nothing ever broke after I went to SSDs. Call me lucky.

1. What does Sony's marketing, or lack thereof have to do with anything? The Z-series was a very expensive line of very nice machines (with too small a screen at 13''). It was actively produced until last year, I believe, so hardware hasn't changed much. I disagree thant the MBP offers a lot more. It does NOT offer a DVD (or blue ray) drive, for one thing. It does offer a higher-res display. That's about it. As for the machine not being an ultrabook, neither was the Sony, as far as I recall. I am not sure if you have a point.

1a. I am not trying to argue, so I don't give a flying **** whether what I say "helps my point". I have direct experience with the machines in question, and I am describing it.  You have a different experience, or different parameters of what you are looking for, hey, it's your money.

1) Who said it was an Ultrabook? I compared the 17W TDP CPU, which you find in the Ultrabooks, to the 35W TPD of the 13" RMBP. You don't have to be a genius to know that higher watts means it requires more power.

2) You completely ignored the size differences of the batteries, which is the largest single component by volume in notebooks.

3) You're writing in a forum and have no point to make? Seriously? You are arguing a point. You are making a statement. You've stated that Apple could easily add a dGPU without affecting the functionality of the current unit's size or usability. I countered with details of how the GPU chip requires other components to function properly and how it would require more power to run in a space that is already somewhat wanting of longevity.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #50 of 81

Comment deleted because I came off sounding like a smartass again and I'm trying not to do that anymore.


Edited by v5v - 4/29/13 at 4:33am
post #51 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

If MacBooks are going to be the highlight of WWDC I'm going to be pi*sed.

They might not have any hardware at WWDC. The Macbooks won't have significant design changes, if any. The Haswell chips will be launched on June 3rd, which is a Monday:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/381070/intel-haswell-release-date-confirmed-for-june

so Apple could update them on the store on the 4th/5th (Tue/Wed) a few days before WWDC. Assuming there's an OS 10.9, they can have them ship within 7 days with 10.9 or just include an update code.

There really isn't anything else for them to say about the laptops besides them having Haswell.
post #52 of 81
Behold! My next laptop. My Core 2 Duo is getting a little long in the tooth.
post #53 of 81

If Hashwell based macbook get rid of separate GPU and lower TDP, I suppose overall weight of mac would go down. My 13 inch mac Ivybridge processor/graphics performance seems more than adequate but with 2013 mac refresh, I like to see longer battery life and under 3lb for retina and under 4lb weight with Sdrive. Intel with ultrabook effort based on Hashwell is to reduce the weight and provide whole day battery without recharging.
 

post #54 of 81

I bought a MacBook Air about 3 months ago.  We love it, but a Retina display would have been nice.  Oh well, I'm sure our next one will have something that tops even that.  I can't imagine a thinner laptop as that would be crazy thin or almost like two iPads hugging.  1biggrin.gif

 

It'll be interesting if Apple does update the MacBook lines at WWDC.  Seems they are saving all their cards for the fall then if they don't.  Apple is always the mysterious company even when they are doing very well.  1cool.gif

post #55 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I would like to see a 17" rMBP, what a thing of beauty that would be.
It would be nice, but to sale at such a high price?(unless they remove the old ones)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If there's one thing that's not needed at all it's a MacBook Air design change.
actually it in a even thinner design to defeat that market again, would make it thinner than retina MacBook Pro.
post #56 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

... I hope Apple also offers a Fusion Drive with 256GB SSD in addition to the current one with 128GB SSD.

Would 256 make any real world difference if its a fusion drive?
post #57 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameer Mulji View Post

"Haswell's integrated GPU doubles the performance of Ivy Bridge, which is already good enough to run OS X."

 

That depends on which version of the Haswell processor you're referring to.  If it's the Haswell GT3e processor with the embedded DRAM then I agree. Supposedly, that specific version of Haswell does have GPU performance equivalent to Nvidia's GT650 mobile GPU.  If you're referring to any Haswell processor lower than that, then there's no guarantee of double performance.  Yes, they will be faster than Ivy Bridge, but necessarily 2X faster.

Still, evolutionary improvement to CPU, moderately boosted integrated graphics & better power saving would make for an attractive upgrade.

post #58 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

Behold! My next laptop. My Core 2 Duo is getting a little long in the tooth.

++

 

MacBook 2,1 1biggrin.gif

post #59 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onexy View Post

 

The joy of the consumers.

 

 

It kind of seemed to be Apples conviction that the 17" is not the machine they want to build.

 

I hope that it comes back so there is more variation but a retina display on the 17" is questionable because it would be even more pixels to push.

The only real problem with the 17" MBP is the bulk of the thing. It's really awkward and heavy to move from desk to meeting room and back again.

The 15" retina knocked 540g off the weight, a 21% reduction. Taking 21% off the weight of the 17" MBP would make it noticeably lighter than the old 15" model. It would still be bulky, but the extra display size is worth it to me.

 

I find having 1200 vertical pixels to be a huge advantage when running mobile phone simulators. My external display is 1920x1080 and it can't display the iPhone 5 simulator full size (needs 1136 pixels).

post #60 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Celebration of the obvious. The real surprise would be if Apple failed to announce a Haswell MBP.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

They need to dump the optical drive on all models. This is 2013, and these analyst's fascination with "emerging markets" is downright disgusting. There will always be regions of the world where internet access is not up to date, so screw them. Why should Apple be making it's machines worse, just because of a microscopic minority? That makes no sense at all. And if somebody does live in the middle of nowhere, and they can afford a Macbook Pro, then they can certainly afford to buy an external optical drive. Does it make more sense to inconvenience three people or 3 million people? Analysts aren't the brightest people around.

 

I will never buy any Apple laptop in the future, as long as it still has an optical drive included.

That is a little extreme. I can't imagine areas without consistent internet service represent huge potential growth for Macs that start around $1000 in the US and tend to be priced higher in other countries. The big cities have connectivity just as they do here.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rash12 View Post

If Hashwell based macbook get rid of separate GPU and lower TDP, I suppose overall weight of mac would go down. My 13 inch mac Ivybridge processor/graphics performance seems more than adequate but with 2013 mac refresh, I like to see longer battery life and under 3lb for retina and under 4lb weight with Sdrive. Intel with ultrabook effort based on Hashwell is to reduce the weight and provide whole day battery without recharging.
 


Do you mean for the 15"? The current 13" doesn't have a discrete gpu. I don't expect any major exterior design changes for at least a couple years assuming they continue on with the same pattern.

post #61 of 81

"Expert analyst predicts Apple product refresh in line with the MacRumors buyers guide. Improvements to include incremental refreshes to processing power and storage space" is a very safe and boring enough prediction. Reasonable, believable prediction that surprises nobody.

 

Until, of course the part where he thinks they'll also refresh the non-retina computers because of how many people in developing countries rely on optical drives.

 

ANALYSIS FAIL

post #62 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Because they got rid of the model.

Maybe it wasn't possible pixel-wise to do a 17" Retina back then, and they wanted the 15" Retina to be undisputed top of the line, so discontinued the 17" non-retina for that reason.

post #63 of 81

Shame that he thinks Apple are capable of nothing more than upgrading with standard components.  I'm wondering if the timing is important.  Cook mentioned new products in the fall and this seems to coincide with both new silicon but also new software (OSX10.9).

 

Sure Apple needs to roll out Haswell CPUs & 802.11ac just to keep in the premier league but SSDs work so much better than HDDs and once tried there's no turning back from Retina displays, they make other displays look crap.  These should be standard across all Macs.  Then it would make sense for Apple to switch its form-factors around and replace the 13" MBP with the 13" MBA as the standard model, the low-profile MBP as the mid-range with dGPU and the older format retained as a Fusion-drive option for those who must have all their eggs in one basket.  To do this we'd also need new information management software, an external (cabled or wireless) Fusion Drive  which copies rather than moves and serves as a replacement for the current time capsule.  This would need a CoreStorage update in OSX10.9.

Android proves (as Windows & VHS did before it) that if you want to control people, give us choices and the belief we're capable of making them. We're all 'living' the American dream.
Reply
Android proves (as Windows & VHS did before it) that if you want to control people, give us choices and the belief we're capable of making them. We're all 'living' the American dream.
Reply
post #64 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


If there's one thing that's not needed at all it's a MacBook Air design change.

If you ask me, you may post this same sentence next year and the year after as well.

The MBA design still tops everything in this price segment (and below). I tend to call it timeless.

post #65 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post

[...] once tried there's no turning back from Retina displays, they make other displays look crap.

 

You think? My reaction was "meh." Better, sure, but not a deal-breaker either way.

 

I haven't checked... have Illustrator and After Effects been updated with Retina compatibility? If not, that IS a deal-breaker, because if you wanna talk about "look crap," try a non-optimized app on a Retina display. Ick.

post #66 of 81
SolipsismX View Post
igriv View Post
I refuse to use spinning drives in my laptops, since they don't respond well to being dropped, unlike the SSDs, which don't care.
Who said there was anything wrong with an SSD? Fusion Drive is an SSD+HDD essentially in a special RAID 0 configuration. This allows for SSD speeds with HDD like storage at a fraction of the cost of an SSD setup of that capacity.

And what's this new argument that HDDs don't respond well to being dropped? What computer components do respond well to being drop? Are you saying that notebooks can't be successful if they have an HDD in them?

HDDs are the only moving part in modern laptops. In my experience, they are the most fail-prone component of portable Macs and classic iPods. It's just a fact of physics that moving parts are susceptible to inertia.

My SO has given her MBP a heavy helping of aluminum dents, where any other plastic laptop would have shattered. On the whole, it responds better than most laptops, and a SDD can only improve the odds of avoiding a trip to the Apple Store.

 
Apple || View Post

They need to dump the optical drive on all models. This is 2013, and these analyst's fascination with "emerging markets" is downright disgusting. There will always be regions of the world where internet access is not up to date, so screw them. Why should Apple be making it's machines worse, just because of a microscopic minority? That makes no sense at all. And if somebody does live in the middle of nowhere, and they can afford a Macbook Pro, then they can certainly afford to buy an external optical drive. Does it make more sense to inconvenience three people or 3 million people? Analysts aren't the brightest people around.

 

I will never buy any Apple laptop in the future, as long as it still has an optical drive included.

Then... don't. You have the option.

Apple isn't "making its machines worse" at all. It's retaining an older form factor for budget users, just as they continue to sell the iPhone 4S and non-retina iPad.

How exactly are you inconvenienced by just seeing options other than the MBA and rMBP? I could easily apply your argument to any company selling a current and previous gen product together, and it would make just as little sense. If you are this incensed by having two Macbook gens sold together, look at the enormous SKU sheet of any other computer maker.

And that mentality of "screw everyone who isn't entitled like me" is what's driving always-online game consoles.

 
gwmac View Post

A significant amount of people now rarely move their laptop off their desk besides to another part of the house or yard. Even though it is meant to be a portable device it is now used much more as a desktop replacement. 

I would love to see actual statistics on this, or a reliable source, or anything that says this is more than false consensus.

[this account has been abandoned]

Reply

[this account has been abandoned]

Reply
post #67 of 81
Originally Posted by ascii View Post
Maybe it wasn't possible pixel-wise to do a 17" Retina back then, and they wanted the 15" Retina to be undisputed top of the line, so discontinued the 17" non-retina for that reason.

 

Well, they didn't drop the 17" when it wasn't updated to the first unibody design. On the contrary, they updated the old model to equivalent hardware!

 

They dropped it here. The last time they dropped a product, it stayed dead.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #68 of 81
I also think a 17" Retina laptop would be an astoundingly brilliant thing to do.

There is one drawback I can think of - processing power.

Driving that many pixels is sure to be a drain on the GPU.

Still, that's nothing a new generation of mobile GPUs shouldn't be able to handle with aplomb.

17" MBPr would be amazing.

I'd buy in an instant.
post #69 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredx1 View Post

What happened to the new Mac Pro that was supposed to be announced this spring? Or all we all just expected to have amnesia because it's the great and glorious Apple?

Was Spring specifically stated? If so, can't Apple still make their self imposed deadline by annouuncing it at WWDC since Spring ends June 20th?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #70 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


If there's one thing that's not needed at all it's a MacBook Air design change.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

 

Agreed.

 

Feel free to upgrade those specs, but that beautiful body needs no changing.

 

That's what people said about the original Macbook Pro, the original Macbook Air, the original iPhone, and every other Apple product since then.  Why should Apple bother updating anything anymore?


Edited by Haggar - 4/29/13 at 3:13pm
post #71 of 81
I would just like HDMI on all models FINALLY so I don;t have to use 2 cables to watch a movie and have input issues!
post #72 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

 

You think? My reaction was "meh." Better, sure, but not a deal-breaker either way.

 

I haven't checked... have Illustrator and After Effects been updated with Retina compatibility? If not, that IS a deal-breaker, because if you wanna talk about "look crap," try a non-optimized app on a Retina display. Ick.

So it does make a difference or it doesn't make a difference?  It's not immediate but use one for a while then go back to non-Retina.  After an afternoon with an rMBP I can hardly look at my iMac anymore.

 

I think Illustrator has but not AE.

Android proves (as Windows & VHS did before it) that if you want to control people, give us choices and the belief we're capable of making them. We're all 'living' the American dream.
Reply
Android proves (as Windows & VHS did before it) that if you want to control people, give us choices and the belief we're capable of making them. We're all 'living' the American dream.
Reply
post #73 of 81

awesome 

post #74 of 81
Originally Posted by shredx1 View Post
What happened to the new Mac Pro that was supposed to be announced this spring? Or all we all just expected to have amnesia because it's the great and glorious Apple?

 

Shut up, concern troll. The Mac Pro was never "supposed" to be announced in spring.

 

Originally Posted by fsad32 View Post
Retina on Macbook is the stupidest idea of Apple ever - this is too small for the eyes…

 

THAT'S THE IDEA BEHIND A RETINA DISPLAY. Please don't talk about things when you know absolutely nothing about them.


…considering that Apple's latest Mac OS X doesn't even have function of system-wide font size changing to the bigger size (i checked, only stupid magnify loop)…

 

I dunno… the retina MacBook Pro sure LOOKS like it changes things proportionally. I guess looking at something before talking about it is probably too weird.


Such small details are really hurting the eyes of the users.

 

Go away with your false concern nonsense. 


Even the previous generation display on my Macbook Pro 17 - the "high-resolution" is providing too small details, fonts and etc. - without connecting additional bigger display working on Macbook is just dangerous for the health of my eyes - any doctor can confirm that eyestrain cause headaches.

 

Hey, are you just the matte guy back, now come to extoll the virtues of lower-resolution screens? Give me a freaking break.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #75 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post

So it does make a difference or it doesn't make a difference?

 

Based only on the 15 minutes or so I spent comparing while waiting for my turn at the Genius Bar, my reaction was that the Retina display looks better than the standard display, but not so much better that it would matter to me one way or the other.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post

I think Illustrator has but not AE.

 

You're right. Illustrator and Photoshop have been updated with Retina compatibility. The other two titles I use from time to time, After Effects and InDesign, have not.

post #76 of 81
Originally Posted by fsad32 View Post
If you want to dispute with me - bring the facts.

 

Maybe don't claim "I can't see the pixels on a retina display; therefore the display is terrible" before talking to others about "facts". lol.gif


…Retina is much smaller picture than previous High-resolution…

 

It was never claiming to be a "larger picture". It's an upgrade to the 1440x900 resolution of the previous model.


…in the end hurting the eyes of users.

 

Quite a bit of research says the opposite is true. But, again, you don't care about facts.


The end.

 

Will you stop posting crap now?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #77 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsad32 View Post

Retina on Macbook is the stupidest idea of Apple ever - this is too small for the eyes, considering that Apple's latest Mac OS X doesn't even have function of system-wide font size changing to the bigger size (i checked, only stupid magnify loop) like on Win XP and etc. Such small details are really hurting the eyes of the users. Even the previous generation display on my Macbook Pro 17 - the "high-resolution" is providing too small details, fonts and etc. - without connecting additional bigger display working on Macbook is just dangerous for the health of my eyes - any doctor can confirm that eyestrain cause headaches. This is very strange marketing move considering that most planet population is rapidly aging with degrading of the eye vision.

Of course such high-density pixels displays is the move to sell on same premium prices without depreciation of the final price, but the reason of 4K on such laptops is very skeptical - current Macbooks are not suitable for 4K, to work with 4K content flawlessly Macbooks need much more processing power and very fast storage, so 4K maybe only in 2015-16th, but not today, too early - too slow.

Are you talking about the "Scaled" modes? Because the "Best for Retina Display" mode (the default) has the same size text as a non-Retina Macbook Pro, it's just sharper.

post #78 of 81
Originally Posted by fsad32 View Post
…even visually the picture or text is looking bigger on Cinema display than on macbook.

 

That'd be because the pixels are smaller. 


You read that right.


…the absence of text sizing is very frustrating.

 

I'm not sure what this is saying. There are options to resize UI text in System Preferences.


On the 13'' Macbook (not retina) the system font is much bigger.

 

Compared to a 13" retina, they're identical.


…it can save the eyes of most people - eyestrain causing the headaches, it is the medical fact).

 

So you're pushing a 27" 2560x1440 over a smoothed 15" 1440x900 because the former means… LESS… eye strain? How about a 27" 640x480? Would that be less eye strain?

 

Check out the math here:

 

2560x1440 @ 27": 108.79 ppi

1440x900 @ 15.4": 110.27 ppi

2880x1800 @ 15.4": 220.53 ppi, except the OS renders it at 4:1, meaning it's the same number of UI "pixels" as the above.

 

The retina MacBook Pro's operational "pixels" are LARGER THAN THE CINEMA DISPLAY'S. Never mind that there's less of a gap between them. Your argument here about small pixels = eye strain is utterly bogus since you can't seem to figure out which pixels are smaller.


About Retina - it's too early for such displays…

OBVIOUSLY NOT, SINCE THEY'RE OUT. 1confused.gif


…there's no content for them, esp. on Internet…

 

1. Except there is.

2. I guess that means there shouldn't be retina displays. Oh, but hey, there aren't retina displays, so why would I make my content larger to fit them? Huh, there's no content for the retina display. Better not release it. Oops, there's no retina display; guess I don't have to make my content larger to…

 

Please do some thinking.


forget about TS, he is on black list, i think most of users here.

 

Keep your personal vendettas personal. You want to lie about me, do it in a PM or at least to my face. It's particularly insulting (har) when your argument is wrong. You say this for no reason other than you were called out by someone (who happened to be me) about your ludicrous statement that "retina displays are the stupidest idea of Apple ever". 


Edited by Tallest Skil - 5/2/13 at 2:25pm

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #79 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That'd be because the pixels are smaller. 


You read that right.

I'm not sure what this is saying. There are options to resize UI text in System Preferences.

Compared to a 13" retina, they're identical.

So you're pushing a 27" 2560x1440 over a smoothed 15" 1440x900 because the former means… LESS… eye strain? How about a 27" 640x480? Would that be less eye strain?

Check out the math here:

2560x1440 @ 27": 108.79 ppi
1440x900 @ 15.4": 110.27 ppi
2880x1800 @ 15.4": 220.53 ppi, except the OS renders it at 4:1, meaning it's the same number of UI "pixels" as the above.

The retina MacBook Pro's operational "pixels" are LARGER THAN THE CINEMA DISPLAY'S. Never mind that there's less of a gap between them. Your argument about small pixels = eye strain is utterly bogus.
OBVIOUSLY NOT, SINCE THEY'RE OUT. 1confused.gif

1. Except there is.
2. I guess that means there shouldn't be retina displays. Oh, but hey, there aren't retina displays, so why would I make my content larger to fit them? Huh, there's no content for the retina display. Better not release it. Oops, there's no retina display; guess I don't have to make my content larger to…

Please do some thinking.

Keep your personal vendettas personal. You want to lie about me, do it in a PM or at least to my face. It's particularly insulting (har) when your argument is wrong. You say this for no reason other than you were called out by someone (who happened to be me) about your ludicrous statement that "retina displays are the stupidest idea of Apple ever". 

I wouldn't even bother. He's not just someone that is incorrect about technology, but clearly so delusional about the tech that a rational and thorough response isn't going to bring any clarity.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #80 of 81

MBP 15" Intel Xeon E3-1285L v3 3.1Ghz (45W TDP), 32GB ECC RAM (4x8GB), NVidia 750M GPU, 1.2 TB Fusion

 

Yes, I'm dreaming but man that would be a killer workstation class laptop.

 

They could release a E3 based Mac Pro and surprise everyone.  Single E3-1285 3.6Ghz CPU, 4 ram slots, single double wide slot for Tesla GPU, Red Rocket or Xeon Phi, dual SSD sticks, slim profile (rackable with kit). $2299.

 

Yah, I'm dreaming there too.

 

If you're gonna build some trucks, lets build some trucks. :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Upgraded MacBook models expected to highlight WWDC 2013