or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung's new 7" Galaxy Tab 3 to take on Apple's iPad mini, and take phone calls

Samsung's new 7" Galaxy Tab 3 to take on Apple's iPad mini, and take phone calls - Page 2

post #41 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

For those can't afford or are unaware of a headset, yes, I suppose it is a stupid idea.

I'm one who thinks that it is a stupid idea, headset or not. To carry a 7" anything just to make a phone call is crazy. Yes, when on the bike with my 5 in my back pocket, I use a headset for calls. Where I live, there is quite a big difference in the cost of a data only plan and voice. Samesung haven't done this for practical reasons but to 'one up' Apple.

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #42 of 154
Quote:

For those can't afford or are unaware of a headset, yes, I suppose it is a stupid idea.
I have yet to see someone using a headset with their giant Android phone. I am starting to tire of owners who can't figure out how to do simple task asking me to help them. I have no interest in learning android.
post #43 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Are you a groopie? Do you need to look like everyone else -- with a ridiculous flat 3.5-4" slab as an ear appendage? Who cares? If you do, you are buying a phone for the wrong reason -- to be an individualist (like everyone else).

Edit: My late wife, who grew up in Pittsburgh, said it best: Yer-RIG-ner-RUNT!

The problem I have with an iPad is that I _don't_ want to carry it everywhere.  I already find having an iPhone in my pocket to be uncomfortable at times (e.g. while driving).  Can't imagine what I'd do if my iPad was always on me.

I'm not always wearing a coat, and don't want to permanently have a bag (which I'll inevitably forget somewhere).  So where do I put the iPad when I just want it out of the way?  No thanks.  It's not a fashion thing, it's a function thing -- I like having two hands free to deal with life.

As others have posted, if the number/plan designates the individual instead of the device -- you can carry the iPhone, the iPad, the iPad Mini (or all or none) -- what ever is convenient and makes sense for the moment.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #44 of 154
Quote:

Quote:

Are you a groopie? Do you need to look like everyone else -- with a ridiculous flat 3.5-4" slab as an ear appendage? Who cares? If you do, you are buying a phone for the wrong reason -- to be an individualist (like everyone else).

Edit: My late wife, who grew up in Pittsburgh, said it best: Yer-RIG-ner-RUNT!

The problem I have with an iPad is that I _don't_ want to carry it everywhere.  I already find having an iPhone in my pocket to be uncomfortable at times (e.g. while driving).  Can't imagine what I'd do if my iPad was always on me.

I'm not always wearing a coat, and don't want to permanently have a bag (which I'll inevitably forget somewhere).  So where do I put the iPad when I just want it out of the way?  No thanks.  It's not a fashion thing, it's a function thing -- I like having two hands free to deal with life.

As others have posted, if the number/plan designates the individual instead of the device -- you can carry the iPhone, the iPad, the iPad Mini (or all or none) -- what ever is convenient and makes sense for the moment.

post #45 of 154

What a POS!

post #46 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I thought this was a joke! Seriously, a phone? Well this is one part of the market they will "dominate" for sure. lmao

I can understand it, I wouldn't have it as standard equipment, I would offer it as an option.  Some people only want to drag around a tablet and still get phone calls.  Yeah, I don't think they'll put them up to their ears, but they can use ear buds of just talk through the built in microphone.

I think Apple should offer optional cell phone capabilities on ALL of their other mobile products (iPads, and even laptops).  Yeah, even laptops should have a cellular data/voice as an option.  It would be even cooler if the carriers would offer a one cell phone number that can be used on multiple devices at the same time, so you can answer depending on which device you have close by.

post #47 of 154
Quote:

I've never figured out why the iPad cannot receive calls.

Time for Apple to change that.

Well, they can use Google Voice or if some other company had an VoIP solution, but other than that they need a voice chip in addition to the data chip.

post #48 of 154

I already use my iPad Mini as my primary phone (via VOIP), though I had to jump through a few hoops to do so (Google Voice + Talkatone app). Admittedly, telephony isn't a big deal for me. I probably receive about a dozen calls a month, and most of them are simply to remind me of appointments. I pay $20 a month to Verizon for 1 GB of 4G LTE data and I haven't had any problems. I'm much happier taking the small hit to my phone call convenience in favor of the huge increase in functionality that I get with being able to use the Mini over the iPhone as my primary portable device.

Using the Mini as a phone does have its downsides. Apple hasn't released the APIs that allow linked bluetooth headsets to answer incoming calls on the Mini, so you're forced to tap "Answer" on the Mini's screen to answer a call (through the headset works normally, otherwise). :/ If Apple would add true phone functionality in the iPad Mini without forcing workarounds, I'd be ecstatic. This feature isn't useful for everyone, but I know it's something that a lot of folks would really appreciate.

post #49 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Sorry It's NOT a bad idea as some here are saying. I always said iPad Mini with Voice service should be Apple's answer to the phablet.

That assumes that Apple wants or needs an answer to the phablets. They likely don't feel that way, anymore than they did about cheap net books. Or a cheap full price iPhone.

"They likely don't feel that way"

That's an assumption as well.

My point on the topic in the past was just that it didn't make sense for Apple to start coming out with phones that are too large to be used with a single hand, or be put into a standard pants pocket. Yet it would require little (just a service arrangement with carriers?) to light-up voice service on the Mini (or any iPad cellular for that matter).

I would guess it's simply a matter of what's best for their business. i.e. Are iPhones then cannibalized? (Maybe not at all) Is the cannibalization offset by increased revenues from the "iPad Voice" (Maybe iPad Cellular models shoot through the roof)

post #50 of 154
Well, I got stuck in quite a time warp with this one. From this description I much prefer the Fonepad
post #51 of 154
Quote:

I think the whole problem could be solved if the carriers would allow multiple devices to share the same phone number, that way you answer which ever device you have with you.  So, if you had a smartphone, tablet, etc. they all ring at the same time when someone calls, but whichever one answers is up to the user.  I think Apple should offer at least cellular data chips in all of their laptops at least as an option.  But even cellular voice would cool too.  People wear those Bluetooth earpieces they can connect to whatever device they want.

post #52 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcrayon View Post

Quote:

Not a "stupid idea" for everyone... I am 73 years old, retired... I receive/make only a few calls per day. During the grandkids soccer season (6 practices and 3 games per week) I carry an iPad and an iPhone. The phone calls are only used to co-ordinate pickups and game times, etc.

If the iPad could make/receive phone calls, I could carry only one device.. The iPad screen and kb better serve my old eyes and fat fingers!

BTW, As you mature you care more about results than how you look to others...

The iPad can make and receive calls using any number of the VOIP apps.  It might not be exactly the same as having regular phone service, but it's probably close enough for a lot of people who need to make the occasional call.  If you have a cellular iPad (assuming wifi wouldn't work all of the time), have you tried using it for VOIP?

No, I haven't... I can't justify the additional $ per month for iPad cell service over what I already pay for iPhone cell service... My use patterns are, basically: at Home with WiFi; out and about with cell (No WiFi)... I don't "hang out" at places with WiFi hot spots!

post #53 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Quote:

I'm one who thinks that it is a stupid idea, headset or not. To carry a 7" anything just to make a phone call is crazy. Yes, when on the bike with my 5 in my back pocket, I use a headset for calls. Where I live, there is quite a big difference in the cost of a data only plan and voice. Samesung haven't done this for practical reasons but to 'one up' Apple.

Ok, so it's not for you. Didn't realize your preferences applied to the whole universe.

Also, stop with this Samsung nonsense. The discussion here is about whether it is a good idea, not whether Samsung thinks its a good idea.
post #54 of 154

I have always been averse to the idea of an iPad being used as a phone. BUT, if the 'iWatch' is coming out and if you could tether that to the iPad then that would be a cool application. A call comes in, you look at your wrist and if you want to take it press a button on your BT headset. That's the only scenario in my mind that would make the iPad as a phone thing a viable solution.

post #55 of 154
Quote:

I understand.  I'm just refuting the argument you were making about people only choosing their phone (instead of an iPad or other device) because of fashion.  I choose a 3.5-4" slab because it's less of a hinderance.  I only choose my iPad when I'll need to do things which are more convenient with a bigger screen (a lot of emailing, web browsing, etc).  It's all about taking the least amount of device with me required for what I'll be doing so that I have the least amount of device to manage/maintain.

That said, I agree with the point that all of the devices should have the same capabilities so that I could have the option to forgo my iPhone when I need my iPad.  Though I'm not a big fan of headsets (again because of device maintenance hassle -- keeping it charged, storage, etc), so I'd likely still opt to have my phone on me, but to each their own.

post #56 of 154
Shamesung , as its name suggests , SHAMELESS singing all around .
post #57 of 154
I feel like we are all missing that fact that the specs on the tab 3 suck, this will not be a competitor to the ipad mini
post #58 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zain Khan View Post

I have always been averse to the idea of an iPad being used as a phone. BUT, if the 'iWatch' is coming out and if you could tether that to the iPad then that would be a cool application. A call comes in, you look at your wrist and if you want to take it press a button on your BT headset. That's the only scenario in my mind that would make the iPad as a phone thing a viable solution.

I could see the use of the rumored iWatch as a Dick Tracy phone or Star Trek communicator where it is more just the simple display with answer, call, talk/listen capabilities. That sounds like Bluetooth connectivity (which is a battery hog) with most all the smarts in your iPad or MacBook. The only problem with that is it starts to sound rather large and not the amount of runtime I would like. If anyone can do something like this with the issues ironed out it will be Apple.

I am suddenly much more interested in the iWatch than before.

post #59 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Taking phone calls is definitely a good option. But, how do people carry them while talking on call? I mean... I dont understand Samsung way, but people are buying them. I am seeing Samsung Galaxies now how I used to see iPhones when it arrived initially.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I thought this was a joke! Seriously, a phone? Well this is one part of the market they will "dominate" for sure. lmao

Plug in some headphones or use a BT headset. I don't think it's idea setup for someone that can buy a phone and a tablet but it might an ideal setup for someone that doesn't have much disposable cash but wants the use of a phone and tablet.

Quote:

Time for Apple to change that.

I think it was the iPad 4 that recieved the first Qualcomm Gobi chip that was even capable of doing voice.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #60 of 154
Ah ha ...Now the wolves will need a wider palm and longer fingers to text and drive.
post #61 of 154
Quote:

Exactly!

In the US, (if the government can find a way to tax it) cellular phone/data service will likely evolve to where it is charged to the individual, not the device.

Like you, I have lots of uses for a mobile computer/camera/web appliance... oh, yeah... Occasionally I need a mobile phone!

I think it's fairly clear that this has to hapen sooner or later, and probably sooner.  

If there really is going to be an "Internet of Things," then the carriers have to change.  Apple has the power to lead the carriers by the nose but so far they haven't decided to use it and have "toed the line" in terms of not disrupting the carriers business and pretending like they aren't just dumb pipes (when they are).  

post #62 of 154
Would be nice if you could just take your SIM card from the iPhone and use it with the tablet.
post #63 of 154
Duplicate

post #64 of 154
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Quote:

Ok, so it's not for you. Didn't realize your preferences applied to the whole universe.

Also, stop with this Samsung nonsense. The discussion here is about whether it is a good idea, not whether Samsung thinks its a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zain Khan View Post

Ya' know...

This thread reminds me on one a while back -- that suggested that a slap bracelet (iWatch) could be used as phone replacement...

Many people assumed that you would [always] need to wear a BT headset to make/receive phone calls.

I suggested that you could just hold your hand to your ear -- positioning the bracelet close enough to your ear/mouth as to allow/activate microphone/speaker functions in the bracelet.

Several posters said that this would look ridiculous -- holding an empty hand to your ear...

I really don't really care how I look if I need to use the phone -- empty hand, 3.5 inch slab, phablet, divining rod, early cell phone... whatever... I get a call telling me that my youngest grandson needs to go to Emergency... What the pfuck do I care how I look?

The phone is a tool -- not a fashion accessory!

post #65 of 154
I understand you completely, but we are missing the fact that a iPhone and an iPad are not the same thing, an iPad is a tablet, its suppose to work something like a laptop. A phone is not. Btw, if you really wanted to you can already use your iPad as a phone,
post #66 of 154
Quote:

i wanna see you run to the emergency room with a tablet

Ya' know...

This thread reminds me on one a while back -- that suggested that a slap bracelet (iWatch) could be used as phone replacement...

Many people assumed that you would [always] need to wear a BT headset to make/receive phone calls.

I suggested that you could just hold your hand to your ear -- positioning the bracelet close enough to your ear/mouth as to allow/activate microphone/speaker functions in the bracelet.

Several posters said that this would look ridiculous -- holding an empty hand to your ear...

I really don't really care how I look if I need to use the phone -- empty hand, 3.5 inch slab, phablet, divining rod, early cell phone... whatever... I get a call telling me that my youngest grandson needs to go to Emergency... What the **** do I care how I look?

The phone is a tool -- not a fashion accessory!
post #67 of 154
Quote:

... It's all about taking the least amount of device with me required for what I'll be doing so that I have the least amount of device to manage/maintain. ...

Not to butt in but ... This is the exact reason I want the iPad mini to be able to take calls, because I want to only take the minimal amount of device with me.  

The thing is that if you are a "power user" of the iPad or iPad mini, then you are already lugging that thing around with you everywhere, every single day.  You already have a bag or have worked out some way of carrying the thing with you.  

Having the iPhone with you as well is just bulky, and if you have both devices to choose from, it's quickly becomes obvious that most things are easier and nicer to do on the iPad instead of the phone anyway.  Because the carriers are all busy raping us blind over fees, most folks will just tether the iPad to the iPhone because a separate plan is expensive.  The iPhone in these situations just becomes an annoying "extra" that you have to carry for connectivity and the occasional phone call.  

For me the iPhone is just extra cost, (around $2,000 a year!) and extra bulk to carry around, when it's just not necessary at all.  

I am already totally over the iPhone and would drop it in a second and just use the iPad mini if I could. 

post #68 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWiz87 View Post

... Btw, if you really wanted to you can already use your iPad as a phone,

Only in some countries, and only with extra expense and hassle.  

Unless you are just talking VoIP with no "phone," which isn't really the same thing. 

post #69 of 154
Android SHOCKER

FACT: Google's Android isat 49.3% of phones shipped, down from 51.2%
Android is DOOMED
Edited by Paul94544 - 4/29/13 at 7:50am

Originally Posted by Rickers - 2014

Cook & Co will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost for so long.  Steve == Apple and Apple == Steve.  

Cook & Co will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost for so long.  Steve == Apple and Apple == Steve.  

post #70 of 154
Quote:

I feel like we are all missing that fact that the specs on the tab 3 suck, this will not be a competitor to the ipad mini

Quote:

I understand you completely, but we are missing the fact that a iPhone and an iPad are not the same thing, an iPad is a tablet, its suppose to work something like a laptop. A phone is not. Btw, if you really wanted to you can already use your iPad as a phone,

Interesting 1st and 2nd post. You use the term "we" way to loosely for me.

1. If you are looking at specs on tablets instead functionality then you are missing what is important. I don't think this thread is anything about comparing the Galaxy 3 Tab to the iPad mini, even if it was specs are a marketing ruse.

2. I do not agree that an iPad is "supposed to work something like a laptop". It fills the computing needs of a large group of people that were forced into a laptop or a crummy Netbook. It is the fact that it works more like the iPhone than a laptop that has made such a great success.

Really though, welcome to AI.

Edit: Oops. I guess the title did mention comparing G3T with iPad mini, but then the article said almost nothing about it and the thread has definitely moved into a discussion about 'phablets'.

Edited by Damn_Its_Hot - 4/29/13 at 8:31am
post #71 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

...  I think it was the iPad 4 that recieved the first Qualcomm Gobi chip that was even capable of doing voice.

Isn't it the carriers that are responsible for the "voice over LTE" timetable and rolling out support for it?  

It could easily be that this is the tipping point that Apple (and possibly others) are waiting for.  

Once all data, including voice is just ... data ... well, it would seem that other possibilities open up.  

post #72 of 154

Its amazing how much ignorance there is about the iPad not being able to make calls

There are several app out there that add that fucntion the main one being SKYPE

if there one thing that really ticks me off its folks claiming Android is better because it can do something the iOS can't  and then the ignorance spreads and people make buying decisions based on disinformation

post #73 of 154
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post
Because its a stupid idea.

Bingo.

So every Android user? Apple isn't going to make a tablet with a feature that 20 people will use.

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

if there one thing that really ticks me off its folks claiming Android is better because it can do something the iOS can't and then the ignorance spreads and people make buying decisions based on disinformation.

Couldn't agree more. Though it's fun to shut people up that claim that by doing it right in front of them.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #74 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Isn't it the carriers that are responsible for the "voice over LTE" timetable and rolling out support for it?  

It could easily be that this is the tipping point that Apple (and possibly others) are waiting for.  

Once all data, including voice is just ... data ... well, it would seem that other possibilities open up.  

1) That graph isn't showing VoLTE and VoHSPA+, it's showing chips with the capability to also offer voice as well as data.

"Qualcomm is a leading provider of LTE baseband silicon and unfortunately they don't ship any baseband hardware that supports both LTE and voice (over 1x/WCDMA) without extra silicon. In order to support both you need to be using something Qualcomm calls SoC Fusion. [...] Note that no one else seems to deliver a single chip LTE + 1x/WCDMA voice solution either, so this isn't just a Qualcomm limitation."

2) Sure, it's all a bunch of 1's and 0's but voice traffic is not handled like FTP, HTTP, and other data the same way. It's quite unique as delivery speed and order is very important. Believe when I tell you don't want your web data to be treated the same way as your voice data.

post #75 of 154

Can't you people see the Samsung plot?  Samsung is trying to take advantage of US carrier subsidy of samrtphones to undercut Apple iPad sales. 

Another point I can think is may be Android OS requires the phone capability.

The third guess is may be Samsung does not know how to make a device that is 3G without a phone.

post #76 of 154

This looks like the perfect gadget for Android users who insist on making a fool out of themselves....

go ahead....why are you hesitating?

Mmmmhhhh....

post #77 of 154

Idiots asking for help how to fix Android is just like all those Windows folks complaining about their PCs, Just this weekend I was at a meeting and someone was having problems connecting a HP Laptop to the wi-fi. I took a look and was told that the perosn before me had been deleting files from some folders on the Windows directory. I start. thinking to myself "omg, this PC is toast, how am I going to break it sweetly to this guy that his friend has now caused him a world of hurt and he will have to reinstall the OS". I chickened out and just replied "I dunno whats wrong with it sorry". Poor guy will prolly end up having to pay out $ to get someone to fix it for him. Deja Vu with Android. This is the very reson why Apple took away the file system you fools!.

post #78 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So every Android user? Apple isn't going to make a tablet with a feature that 20 people will use.

No offense, but the fact that you couldn't possibly have a clue as to whether it's 20 or 20M renders your point moot.

Moving along.....
post #79 of 154
Thinner bezel... Where have I seen that before?
post #80 of 154
No offense, but the fact that you couldn't possibly have a clue as to whether it's 20 or 20M renders your point moot.

And since you can't do the same, yours is also moot, so there's not much point in wanting such a feature, huh?

Unless, of course, neither is moot. What's the data on "people who use their tablets as phones", "people who want their tablets to be phones", "people who already know their tablets can be a phone but couldn't care less", and "people who think using a tablet as a phone is idiotic"? We need that data to be able to say for certain, but it's quite obvious the former is an extreme minority.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Samsung's new 7" Galaxy Tab 3 to take on Apple's iPad mini, and take phone calls
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung's new 7" Galaxy Tab 3 to take on Apple's iPad mini, and take phone calls