or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung's new 7" Galaxy Tab 3 to take on Apple's iPad mini, and take phone calls

Samsung's new 7" Galaxy Tab 3 to take on Apple's iPad mini, and take phone calls - Page 3

post #81 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Can't you people see the Samsung plot?  Samsung is trying to take advantage of US carrier subsidy of samrtphones to undercut Apple iPad sales.

Interesting suggestion but I have to question how many buyers in the US would fall for that when most carriers allow for free tethering from a data-enable phone. We're talking about less than $400 for the device over being tied to a 24 month data plan (assuming standard US subsidy plans). I can certain see a US carrier sell this the way they sold netbooks, but I can't see it being a success.

I still think this device is for less affluent buyers where they need a phone buy want a tablet (or notebook), and a small, voice-capable tablet is a decent compromise between the two.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #82 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And since you can't do the same, yours is also moot, so there's not much point in wanting such a feature, huh?

The old brain having some trouble processing basic logical functions this morning?
post #83 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I've never figured out why the iPad cannot receive calls.

Time for Apple to change that.

Because there are better ways to make a call than to use a 'phone' operator. They don't want to follow the tiranny of carriers. We should already all be using VOIP now.

post #84 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And since you can't do the same, yours is also moot, so there's not much point in wanting such a feature, huh?

Unless, of course, neither is moot. What's the data on "people who use their tablets as phones", "people who want their tablets to be phones", "people who already know their tablets can be a phone but couldn't care less", and "people who think using a tablet as a phone is idiotic"? We need that data to be able to say for certain, but it's quite obvious the former is an extreme minority.

You were the first one to say that no one would use it without proof. 

Anant. just gave his opinion based on his feeling and never said everybody would use it.

You are doing a terrible job, as usual.

About the tablet, I wouldn't buy it because I don't like touchwiz but I think that the tablet itself at least looks better than their phones.

post #85 of 154
The old brain having some trouble processing basic logical functions this morning?

I'll ask the same of you. 1confused.gif

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
post #86 of 154

Most Galaxy S 3, s4 or tab owners I know are middle aged, ailing eyesight, bought their device because they prefer its larger screen.

But still, wouldn't it be nice if we could take calls on the iPad. I think Apple should update iMessage and integrate your phone number in it. When someone calls your phone while you happen to be using your iPad, for instance, the call can automatically be forwarded to your iPad via LTE or Wifi. It'll be nice seeing them do away with phone numbers altogether. I'd only have to pay for my data plan. Screw separate phone bills

post #87 of 154
Quote:

Agreed.  Seems obvious, yet at the same time would probably hurt sales of the iPhone.  You can tell Samsung is really going for the lower end of the market.  Here's a crazy idea, maybe some people dont have money for both.  

I have to laugh at people saying it's such a bad idea.  You can tell they are true Apple fanboys thinking Apple knows what is best for everyone.  Sometimes I wonder if they ask Siri what they should do when they get up in the morning since they appear incapable of independent thought.

post #88 of 154

Samdung is firing on all the cylinders in desperation. Copying is hard when there is no clarity on what the competitors are doing! 

I would not be surprised to see Samdung fail big time like nokia when Apple executes its plan smartly along with the future products and capture most of the middle class growing crowd in the emerging economies! People love American Company products no matter what the whiners says! Grapes are sour for Apple whiners all across the globe :)

Edited by helicopterben - 4/29/13 at 9:28am
post #89 of 154
Samsung to trump iPad Mini by giving IT'S small tablet a 10" screen.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #90 of 154
Seems Samsung has way too many options, (while Apple should/likey to offer a couple more iPhone options) This new 7" Samsung tablet other than the phone, seems rather weak competition to the Mini.
post #91 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkell31 View Post

Agreed.  Seems obvious, yet at the same time would probably hurt sales of the iPhone.  You can tell Samsung is really going for the lower end of the market.  Here's a crazy idea, maybe some people dont have money for both.  

I have to laugh at people saying it's such a bad idea.  You can tell they are true Apple fanboys thinking Apple knows what is best for everyone.  Sometimes I wonder if they ask Siri what they should do when they get up in the morning since they appear incapable of independent thought.

It was a compromise worked out with the carriers so that the iPad 3G would be a data plan did not have to be a contract (it is 1 month at a time) and it kept that data plan very affordable.

Next time before you mouth off about Apple fanboys maybe you should check your history (this all happened just a couple years ago). Check your history before throwing out "You can tell they are true Apple fanboys thinking Apple knows what is best for everyone". Troll somewhere else thank you.

post #92 of 154

You know what, at first when Scamsung started to dump all these different "Galaxy" models onto the market that all seemed to be cheap knock-off's of other brands, I would get upset with each new release, as I felt they were stealing from everyone, reaping all the rewards, and never getting caught or punished... But as they "raise the size bar" to new, inexplicably ridiculous levels, I just sit back and seriously laugh my head off!

It would seem they are trying to force the birth of the one-size-fits-all device, but seem to ignore the larger market which just last quarter showed that more than 60% of phones sold are in the 3.5" to 4.7" categories! Only a small percentage of people buy these phablets, and I personally know a few of them who have stated they now hate the unwieldy devices and intend to switch back to smaller alternatives in short order.

This fad is akin to baggy pants, which also now seem to be fading away (thank you jeebus)! I believe these mega phablets will die a quick death as well!

post #93 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Not a "stupid idea" for everyone... I am 73 years old, retired... I receive/make only a few calls per day. During the grandkids soccer season (6 practices and 3 games per week) I carry an iPad and an iPhone. The phone calls are only used to co-ordinate pickups and game times, etc.

If the iPad could make/receive phone calls, I could carry only one device.. The iPad screen and kb better serve my old eyes and fat fingers!

BTW, As you mature you care more about results than how you look to others...

This wouldn't necessarily work. I want to be able to take the call on both devices as I don't always have my iPad with me. Others will only need to know the one published number; it would work very similar to iMessage and FaceTime. Yes, I know Google Voice would possibly work, except it introduces some delays, but I don't want a proxy number, for sure not one from Google. If it was a solidified Apple solution where I don't need to configure anything and it would be completely transparent to others, it might work. But that is almost impossible to implement world wide.

post #94 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

It was a compromise worked out with the carriers so that the iPad 3G would be a data plan did not have to be a contract (it is 1 month at a time) and it kept that data plan very affordable.

Next time before you mouth off about Apple fanboys maybe you should check your history (this all happened just a couple years ago). Check your history before throwing out "You can tell they are true Apple fanboys thinking Apple knows what is best for everyone". Troll somewhere else thank you.

What if you can only afford one?  Try to imagine people in developing markets, they can barely afford a phone much less both.  Look, you can go along with whatever Apple says you should think..  Fine with me, but the reality is having options is pretty important.

Sorry if I got your panties in a twist, but it's the truth.  The fangirls like yourself are incapable of independent thought and whatever Apple does must be right.  Well they went to a bigger iPhone for a reason even though for years the 3.5 inch was "perfect."  By all means, dont exercise any independent thought, might hurt yourself at this point.

post #95 of 154
Quote:

Seems obvious, yet at the same time would probably hurt sales of the iPhone.  

Excellent point. Didn't think of that.

That said, Apple has never been shy about self-cannibalizing.

post #96 of 154
Quote:

The fangirls like yourself are incapable of independent thought and whatever Apple does must be right.

Calling people fanboys and fangirls doesn't show you're capable of independent thought. If you had a valid point it's been lost by you pejorative declarations. At least be clever and creative with your gibes if you're going to make them.

post #97 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDutch67 View Post

I want to be able to take the call on both devices as I don't always have my iPad with me. Others will only need to know the one published number....

This might be tougher to implement in the US (one of the few countries with the stupid 'receiver pays' system of billing), but there's no reason why Apple couldn't make a killing implementing this in the rest of the world where the caller pays.

post #98 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Calling people fanboys and fangirls doesn't show you're capable of independent thought. If you had a valid point it's been lost by you pejorative declarations. At least be clever and creative with your gibes if you're going to make them.

What else to call them?  Drones? Lemmings?  Plato's cave dwellers?  They blindly agree with everything Apple does.  People cite my history, well first of all I'm in the 70s in terms of number of posts and probably have an equal number of positive comments as well as criticisms.

Much like a 5+ inch phone, a tablet that can make calls would have to appeal to some people, no?  So blindly saying it's a bad idea tells me all I need to know about the person's thought process.  At the least they would need to do focus group studies to determine the popularity of the device and I'm willing to bet in lower income areas it would have appeal.  I would bet others would have a reason to like it as well.

post #99 of 154
Quote:

What if you can only afford one?  Try to imagine people in developing markets, they can barely afford a phone much less both.  Look, you can go along with whatever Apple says you should think..  Fine with me, but the reality is having options is pretty important.

Sorry if I got your panties in a twist, but it's the truth.  The fangirls like yourself are incapable of independent thought and whatever Apple does must be right.  Well they went to a bigger iPhone for a reason even though for years the 3.5 inch was "perfect."  By all means, dont exercise any independent thought, might hurt yourself at this point.

Apple is not in the race for serving poor class. Rich people already own all the latest apple products. Apple is going after growing middle class who dream of having American Products in their hands!  Samdung stands nowhere in that mental race!

post #100 of 154
Quote:

This might be tougher to implement in the US (one of the few countries with the stupid 'receiver pays' system of billing), but there's no reason why Apple couldn't make a killing implementing this in the rest of the world where the caller pays.

Sure, they have the technical capability so they could do it, but that sounds a lot like most arguments against Apple's choices. Why can't they make a 5" iPhone? Why can't they open up iOS? Why can't they make a cheaper Mac Pro? Why can't they make a 15" iPad? Why can't they add a user-accessible file system to iOS?

It all falls under what they think is right move to make. Apple historically thinks more globally than Samsung and other vendors. Samsung has no problem with having dozens of devices in the same class that fit for different markets, market segments and countries. For better or worse Apple wants to make one device that fits well everywhere. If they add voice calling as a feature to their iPads their longstanding modi operandi has been to make this work everywhere.

Does including that option mean they have to pay additional royalties and licensing fees for that option? Does that mean users in the US (or other countries) can't just enable data on their iPads but also have to get a voice plan to go with it? I certainly see no reason why Apple can't add this an optional feature but I also don't have enough information to make that determination.

PS: I wouldn't be surprised to see a low-cost iPhone for China, India, Brasil et al. which would mean a departure from their standard MO. I think this is the first year it's really feasible if they want to continue to grow the brand, so we'll see.
Edited by SolipsismX - 4/29/13 at 9:54am

post #101 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

We should already all be using VOIP now.

I use Skype all the time. It is more ubiquitous than iMessage, FaceTime, or Google Voice ( the latter I have never used though) and a lot less expensive than international SMS or traditional phone calls. It also works on almost any modern device which is why so many people who call internationally have it installed. Skype was pretty buggy on the original iOS but the latest version works really well. I've been using the paid minutes and virtual phone number for Skype for several years now.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #102 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
Why can't they make a 5" iPhone? Why can't they open up iOS? Why can't they make a cheaper Mac Pro? Why can't they make a 15" iPad? Why can't they add a user-accessible file system to iOS?

It all falls under what they think is right move to make. 

That's a bit overwrought. With the exception of the use accessible file system (although there must surely be a better way than what is presently available in iOS), the rest of your examples are new products.

Adding the ability to receive calls is some simple additional functionality to an existing device.

As to what "[Apple] think is the right move to make," if that were the standard, we might as well delete half the posts in AI (including many of yours).

post #103 of 154
Quote:

So blindly saying it's a bad idea tells me all I need to know about the person's thought process.  At the least they would need to do focus group studies to determine the popularity of the device and I'm willing to bet in lower income areas it would have appeal.  I would bet others would have a reason to like it as well.

A tablet that can be used as a phone makes a lot of sense in the business world, so I don't think this product will only apeal to lower incomers.  If Apple responds I'm sure they will find an innovative way to get past the technical issues that some have posted about.

post #104 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I use Skype all the time. 

I do too (although not all the time). Including on my iPhone. That doesn't mean I don't make/receive carrier-based calls on my iPhone.

post #105 of 154
I thought the iPad could already make and receive phone calls - just use Skype.
post #106 of 154
Quote:

Not a "stupid idea" for everyone... [...] If the iPad could make/receive phone calls, I could carry only one device.. The iPad screen and kb better serve my old eyes and fat fingers!

I can't stand holding a phone against the side of my head so I always use the earbuds with microphone that came with the phone. That renders the size of the device irrelevant for voice calling applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

BTW, As you mature you care more about results than how you look to others...

I'm even considering going back to carrying my phone on a belt clip. Let the kids laugh, it's more practical and convenient and I don't care what they think.

post #107 of 154
Quote:

Quote:

I use Skype all the time. 

I do too (although not all the time). Including on my iPhone. That doesn't mean I don't make/receive carrier-based calls on my iPhone.

I'm just suggesting that if someone truly needs phone-like functionality on their iPad, Skype is the way to go right now. Anyway, in order to add traditional carrier based phone service to an iPad it would pretty much necessitate having a separate phone number unlike with Skype which can utilize the same virtual phone number across all of your devices and computers. I believe Apple would gain very little advantage adding cellular voice capability to an iPad and it might actually harm the sales of the iPhone. I am sure there are many customers like me who have both iPad and iPhone. I have cell data on both of my iPads, which I use occasionally but I never go anywhere without my iPhone. If the carriers really wanted to offer that service they could just write their own Skype-like app and subsidize the iPad themselves. They don't really need Apple to do it for them.

post #108 of 154
Quote:

That's a bit overwrought. With the exception of the use accessible file system (although there must surely be a better way than what is presently available in iOS), the rest of your examples are new products.

There are an innumerable number of examples to choose from. Those are just off the top of my head.
Quote:
Adding the ability to receive calls is some simple additional functionality to an existing device.

Is it? I've already shown that it wasn't even possible in the base HW until the iPad 4 which is only 6 months old. We also don't know that Apple is buying the right HW configurations that make even if they added the dial app from the iPhone. Remember that it's more than just the baseband chip that makes cellular connectivity possible. The iPad 4 has been jailbroken and the baseband is unlocked right, so has any hacker done this yet? I've also mentioned the possibility that licensing costs could be affected if they were to up the baseband and add the dialer software; can they do legally do that after the fact? Did the FCC (and all other such agencies) test the device for voice? Is that even a distinct test than just testing the radios for data? Again, what about the politics in regards for their carrier partners.
Quote:
As to what "[Apple] think is the right move to make," if that were the standard, we might as well delete half the posts in AI (including many of yours).

There is a dramatic difference between wanting Apple to do something then claiming Apple is wrong or shortsighted for not offering it despite not even thinking about any of the possible reasons why it hasn't happened, and taking a rumour, desire, or other value as a starting point then walking it down a "what if" path by examining all known values to figure out why it doesn't exist and/or how it possibly could exist. For example, when the iPad mini rumours came out the rumour was a 7.85" display which happened to be the same PPI as the iPhone. There was no proof they would make this product but that rumour (regardless of how it started) made sense from a technical standpoint. Does that mean Apple couldn't have gone with a new resolution, instead of 1024x768, and used a unique pixel density? Of course, but that is harder path to follow on its own than using Apple's MO as a guide.

post #109 of 154
Why not buy a house just to get the sink? /s
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
post #110 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mecca View Post

good point. In my case, my kids are on iPhones and I can receive FaceTime calls from them on my iPad and iMac. Facetime is a built in feature with apple and I also use it to communicate with customers from my devices. I prefer the larger screen on my iPad for facetime calls and as it works out, it is cheaper to have a data plan for your iPad than it is to have multiple cell phone services.

That would be great if everyone I know had an iDevice. As of today, using FaceTime as my only calling option I would be cut off from my daughter, my dad, both of the other guys in my department and ALL of the landlines at my place of employment. I couldn't make an appointment with the doctor or dentist, call the local shop to see if they have a part in stock, or reach 911 to report that I'm being murdered by a man with a chain saw.

post #111 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

The problem I have with an iPad is that I _don't_ want to carry it everywhere.  I already find having an iPhone in my pocket to be uncomfortable at times (e.g. while driving).  Can't imagine what I'd do if my iPad was always on me.

I'm not always wearing a coat, and don't want to permanently have a bag (which I'll inevitably forget somewhere).  So where do I put the iPad when I just want it out of the way?  No thanks.  It's not a fashion thing, it's a function thing -- I like having two hands free to deal with life.

Why not just buy a pair of these?

http://gadgethim.com/ipad-pants/

post #112 of 154
Quote:

I use Skype all the time. It is more ubiquitous than iMessage, FaceTime, or Google Voice ( the latter I have never used though) and a lot less expensive than international SMS or traditional phone calls. It also works on almost any modern device which is why so many people who call internationally have it installed. Skype was pretty buggy on the original iOS but the latest version works really well. I've been using the paid minutes and virtual phone number for Skype for several years now.

I can't stand Skype, it's an overhyped poorly designed mess IMO.  However ...

I hate this carrying (and paying for) two devices so much that I would switch to Skype if I could.  It's not possible to switch to Skype in some countries however (Canada for instance), because you can't get a phone number.  So Skype is never going to be a "full phone replacement" in Canada for starters.  

This is only a failing of Skype however.  Apple (or anybody really) could easily create a new system that's very much like Skype, but without these drawbacks.  I'm sure Skype will figure this stuff out in a few years too so we could all wait for that but who knows how long it will take.  

I'm sure if Apple made it, it would work better than Skype, look better than Skype and solve other problems about Skype that we aren't even aware of at the moment.  

post #113 of 154
Quote:

The same reason iPhones don't have expandable memory, older iPhones can't get full features from new iOS updates, iOS on iPhones and iPads behave differently, etc.  Apple would probably tell you it's their way of preserving the unique user experience for each type of device.  To me, it's just captive marketing so they can make more money from you.  

post #114 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I hate this carrying (and paying for) two devices so much that I would switch to Skype if I could.  It's not possible to switch to Skype in some countries however (Canada for instance), because you can't get a phone number.  So Skype is never going to be a "full phone replacement" in Canada for starters.  

I don't have any issues with the Skype app but it will never be a complete replacement for a cell phone so long as you can't call 911. Interestingly you can't call 911 on an iPhone without great difficulty if you are blind. Siri refuses to do that task.

Nevertheless I would not place the blame on Skype for lack of phone numbers in Canada. Skype has phone numbers for all kinds of small third world countries. I don't know the reason for lack of Canada numbers but I would suspect it is some restriction made by Canada not Skype.

post #115 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

... To carry a 7" anything just to make a phone call is crazy ....

You're missing the point.  Many of us never "make phone calls" anymore.  We are just (sadly) the recipient of a few such calls now and then.  

post #116 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

To carry a 7" anything just to make a phone call is crazy.

What's harder to carry -- a 7" smartphone or a 7" iPad *AND* a telephone? If one is carrying an iPad anyway, why not consolidate the two?

The whole point is that the device is not ONLY for phone calls. That's one function among many. A size that's good for a phone is lousy for a handheld computer, and, to a lesser degree, vice-versa.

If the desire is to have only one device that serves multiple purposes, trade-offs have to be made. *I* would prefer to trade compactness for a larger working area. How does that affect you? Why would you object? No one is forcing YOU to choose the same device I use, but you seem to object to me having something other than what YOU want. How come?

post #117 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I think Apple should offer optional cell phone capabilities on ALL of their other mobile products (iPads, and even laptops). 

If they did this we would have added two Airs to our Apple arsenal by now. For the things we want to do with a portable computer the flat form factor of a tablet makes it awkward to use. A tiny, light "laptop" style device is much better suited to our needs, but there's no WiFi where we would use them.

I think we're at a point in personal computing where having at least a cellular option for laptops makes sense.

post #118 of 154
Quote:

I don't have any issues with the Skype app but it will never be a complete replacement for a cell phone so long as you can't call 911. Interestingly you can't call 911 on an iPhone without great difficulty if you are blind. Siri refuses to do that task.

Nevertheless I would not place the blame on Skype for lack of phone numbers in Canada. Skype has phone numbers for all kinds of small third world countries. I don't know the reason for lack of Canada numbers but I would suspect it is some restriction made by Canada not Skype.

The reason is the very understandable fact that you can't make emergency phone calls from Skype as you yourself mention.  Canada, (like several other countries), has a very rational and understandable law that you cannot sell a phone service if it cannot be used to dial 911.  That's what I was referring to.  If Skype would make 911 calls, then Canada would allow it to issue phone numbers in Canada.  

I was disappointed when I found out about this of course as you can get phone numbers in the US, UK, etc., but I would argue this is definitely Skypes "fault."  Once I understood the restriction it makes total sense.  It's a health and safety issue and no country with the wisdom to have the restriction in the first place is going to change it anytime soon.  I'm a bit surprised that any country would allow a phone service that cannot be used for emergencies.  It's one of the main reason the telephone networks exist in the first place after all.  

Anyway, without an actual phone number that's tied to the country of origin, I don't think you can rightly call anything a "phone replacement," so Skype fails on that front unless you are in a country that can get phone numbers.  Even then, you have to take the SIM out of your phone, put it in the iPad without telling the carrier, then set up a re-direct so your phone calls from the "real" phone number get routed to your Skype phone number.  It's hardly a working system at all.  

Skype needs to get their fingers out and step up to the plate in terms of expanding service and fixing these kinds of issues but ever since Microsoft bought them they've been on a long slide into inactivity IMO.   

post #119 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You're missing the point.  Many of us never "make phone calls" anymore.  We are just (sadly) the recipient of a few such calls now and then.  

Exactly - barely ever use my iPhone as an actual phone. It gets mostly used for iMessage (and other instant messaging), email, web, Pandora, etc. I have considered going the VOIP route with an iPad Mini to handle the occasional calls -- with LTE service (and even good 3G service) it seems that there would be good enough speed that it should work well. 

post #120 of 154
Quote:

Not a "stupid idea" for everyone... I am 73 years old, retired... I receive/make only a few calls per day. During the grandkids soccer season (6 practices and 3 games per week) I carry an iPad and an iPhone. The phone calls are only used to co-ordinate pickups and game times, etc.

If the iPad could make/receive phone calls, I could carry only one device.. The iPad screen and kb better serve my old eyes and fat fingers!

BTW, As you mature you care more about results than how you look to others...

Excellent points.  I'm not too crazy about the look of the tablet, but I'd much rather have a large table with cellular service than a small phone with tiny web browser/email reader/etc.

Edited by tooltalk - 4/29/13 at 11:21am
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Samsung's new 7" Galaxy Tab 3 to take on Apple's iPad mini, and take phone calls
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung's new 7" Galaxy Tab 3 to take on Apple's iPad mini, and take phone calls