or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google Now assistant launches on Apple's iPhone & iPad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google Now assistant launches on Apple's iPhone & iPad

post #1 of 45
Thread Starter 
Google Now, an intelligent assistant service that has been a staple feature of Android for the last year, has come to Apple's iOS platform, with iPhone and iPad support now available as part of the Google Search app.

Now


Support for Google Now is available in version 3.0 of the official Google Search application, which is available for free on the iOS App Store. With Google Now, users can receive:
  • Weather and traffic conditions before you start your day
  • Updates on your favorite sports teams and breaking news stories as they happen

Google Search with Google Now support requires an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch running iOS 5.0 or later. The software has also been designed to take advantage of the 4-inch display of the iPhone 5.

Google Now was launched by the search company last year and was widely seen as its response to Apple's Siri personal assistant. The Google Now service eliminates the need for users to communicate with their phones by automatically detecting information a user is likely to need, and preparing it ahead of time.



Evidence of Google Now for iOS leaked earlier this year while the feature was still in development. Google Chairman Eric Schmidt even caused a controversy last month when he suggested Apple was blocking Google Now from iOS, but it was ultimately revealed that Google had not even submitted the application for approval.
post #2 of 45

Funny Korean Video1biggrin.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cUiRThvCp8E

post #3 of 45

very nice on an iPad - have this on my GT2 7 after the last update - nice to now have it regardless of what device I'm using.

post #4 of 45
So what is exculusive to android now ? Ingress ?
post #5 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusephe View Post

So what is exculusive to android now ? Ingress ?

Lag? 1wink.gif

 

*In before anyone else.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #6 of 45

For what it's worth I doubt Google benefits from keeping Android features off the iOS platform, and so I don't think it's in their plans to do so. Can anyone think of a reason for Google to hold back services from iOS as long as Apple cooperates?

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #7 of 45
Truthfully this makes Siri and other Apple apps look sort of bad. Core, basic usability, simplified, updated. Google's newer design is beautiful, clean, minimal, more functional, and they are actively doing more to roll out new features for users.
I feel like as time goes on, Apple is realizing they bit off more than they can chew, most of their first party stuff is being done better by the competition. Siri, search, maps, podcasts, stocks, calendar, mail, notes, weather, settings, notifications, the general 'look' of iOS, iCloud.. Why are they so.. boring lately?
post #8 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

For what it's worth I doubt Google benefits from keeping Android features off the iOS platform, and so I don't think it's in their plans to do so. Can anyone think of a reason for Google to hold back services from iOS as long as Apple cooperates?

 

It looks like most of the features not included are ones that would have stepped on Apples toes directly and/or held up the approval process.  When you buy plane tix on android Now can automatically have the scan thing in your phone.  That could provide competition for Apples passbook and Apple wouldn't like that.  Same with Fandango and concert ticket info which I believe Apple has its own system too.  On Android Now can push stuff you define as important into your notification center. That capability won't be there on Apple so you'd have to keep the App open in order to get immediate feedback.  Not sure if that is coming in the future or again something Apple would restrict in order to keep the home field advantage for Siri.

 

Either way it is good for Apple users.  If it has features that make users want to use it in conjunction or in place of Siri, Apple will have to get it in gear.  If Now does not provide those distinguishing features, no harm done, just don't use it.

post #9 of 45
Since installing it, my location services has been used 100% of the time. Even after app restart and phone reboot.
post #10 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusephe View Post

So what is exculusive to android now ? Ingress ?

 

Android has a ton of exclusives. Malware (97%- Apple can't even compete), fragmentation, shitty skins, software updates that are either several months late or that you don't get at all, laginess, the ability to install a custom ROM which can make your phone a buggy mess, the ability to have your every move tracked by Google, 3rd rate iOS hand-me-down apps, shit software installed by both your OEM and your carrier, etc. Apple is playing massive catch-up to all these exclusives. 

post #11 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

 

Android has a ton of exclusives. Malware (97%- Apple can't even compete), fragmentation, shitty skins, software updates that are either several months late or that you don't get at all, laginess, the ability to install a custom ROM which can make your phone a buggy mess, the ability to have your every move tracked by Google, 3rd rate iOS hand-me-down apps, shit software installed by both your OEM and your carrier, etc. Apple is playing massive catch-up to all these exclusives. 

 

Wow, I need to do better research next time. I got gypped! I did not get any of those features with my Android. oh well.


Edited by malta - 4/29/13 at 10:25am
post #12 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by september11th View Post

Truthfully this makes Siri and other Apple apps look sort of bad. Core, basic usability, simplified, updated. Google's newer design is beautiful, clean, minimal, more functional, and they are actively doing more to roll out new features for users.
I feel like as time goes on, Apple is realizing they bit off more than they can chew, most of their first party stuff is being done better by the competition. Siri, search, maps, podcasts, stocks, calendar, mail, notes, weather, settings, notifications, the general 'look' of iOS, iCloud.. Why are they so.. boring lately?

"Core, basic usability, simplified, updated." That's some pretty serious jargon you're throwing around there. Not sure how Apple is going to compete with that. Maybe if they jazzify it by 10% or so. Give it some pizzazz.
post #13 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

For what it's worth I doubt Google benefits from keeping Android features off the iOS platform, and so I don't think it's in their plans to do so. Can anyone think of a reason for Google to hold back services from iOS as long as Apple cooperates?

Google held back turn by turn to make Android more valuable. It wasn't until Apple released its own Maps app that Google released its own app with turn by turn.
post #14 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

 

That's because you don't have an Apple Fanboi special edition phone.

 

Those must be the phones that are shipped by the millions but are never sold. They are in a warehouse in Nevada.

post #15 of 45

"has been a staple feature of Android for the last year"

 

Actually, it has been "has been a staple feature of" 25% of the installed base of active "Android" users "for [portions of] the last year."

 

Requires Jelly Bean, so that wipes out 75% of the potential Android audience. And that's with Google's new metric that only counts "active users" as those who bought apps recently, not just those phone users who access Google Play. If the numbers look bad, change your statistical reporting! Still looks bad, but slightly less so. 

 

Cue the guys who say Android has no fragmentation problem... or maybe they're all busy with cleaning up their malware.

 

Google just demonstrated to all mobile developers that its easier to target all iOS users than more than 25% of the Android installed base. 

post #16 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post


Google held back turn by turn to make Android more valuable. It wasn't until Apple released its own Maps app that Google released its own app with turn by turn.

Google held back some maps features because Apple wasn't offering enough in return was the way I remember the rumor. In other words it was Apple not cooperating as much as Google.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #17 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

 

Android has a ton of exclusives. Malware (97%- Apple can't even compete), fragmentation, shitty skins, software updates that are either several months late or that you don't get at all, laginess, the ability to install a custom ROM which can make your phone a buggy mess, the ability to have your every move tracked by Google, 3rd rate iOS hand-me-down apps, shit software installed by both your OEM and your carrier, etc. Apple is playing massive catch-up to all these exclusives.

... I hope you're wrong, as does nearly every iOS user.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #18 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

"has been a staple feature of Android for the last year"


Actually, it has been "
has been a staple feature of" 25% of the installed base of active "Android" users "for [portions of] the last year."


Requires Jelly Bean, so that wipes out 75% of the potential Android audience. And that's with Google's new metric that only counts "active users" as those who bought apps 
recently, not just those phone users who access Google Play. If the numbers look bad, change your statistical reporting! Still looks bad, but slightly less so. 


Cue the guys who say Android has no fragmentation problem... or maybe they're all busy with cleaning up their malware.


Google just demonstrated to all mobile developers that its easier to target all iOS users than more than 25% of the Android installed base. 

Wasn't Siri the same way? What's your point?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #19 of 45
Best of both worlds now...Apple build quality and OS, great Google functionality. Happy guy today
post #20 of 45

Come to me Google Now *rubs his hands together*

post #21 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Google held back turn by turn to make Android more valuable. It wasn't until Apple released its own Maps app that Google released its own app with turn by turn.
Google held back some maps features because Apple wasn't offering enough in return was the way I remember the rumor. In other words it was Apple not cooperating as much as Google.

I don't remember the rumour. Was it money, or user data that Apple didn't want to share?
post #22 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Google held back some maps features because Apple wasn't offering enough in return was the way I remember the rumor. In other words it was Apple not cooperating as much as Google.

How could they hold back something on a app that wasn't their's?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #23 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


I don't remember the rumour. Was it money, or user data that Apple didn't want to share?

It came down to sharing user location and travel stats, which Apple's collects anyway and shares selectively, so that Google could offer more appropriate seach results (and advertising), as well as prominently identifying maps as a Google app according to one rumor. There was also a rumor that the first rumor wasn't true at all and that it was Apple unselfishly protecting their users from Google stealing their personal information to sell to the highest bidder.  There's probably some other rumor variation out there besides those two. Whichever one fits your preferred view I suppose.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #24 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


How could they hold back something on a app that wasn't their's?

True, it was Apple's app.

 

If Google was going to provide navigation in addition to maps they apparently wanted it to be branded as Google's rather than Apple's according to rumors.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #25 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I don't remember the rumour. Was it money, or user data that Apple didn't want to share?
It came down to sharing user location and travel stats, which Apple's collecting anyway, and prominently identifying maps as a Google app according to the rumor. There was also a rumor that the rumor wasn't true at all and that it was Apple unselfishly protecting their users from Google's prying eyes and Google refusing to add navigation unless Apple would sell out.  There's probably some other rumor variation out there besides those two. Whichever one fits your preferred view I suppose.

Then I presume it was Apple not wanting to share user data, as they're quite opposed to that. Crowd-sourced data gathering is something different, which Apple does.

With Google's main business, revenue from ads, I presume they wanted the user data as that would seem the most valuable for them.

Oh well, rumours.
post #26 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


Then I presume it was Apple not wanting to share user data, as they're quite opposed to that. Crowd-sourced data gathering is something different, which Apple does.

With Google's main business, revenue from ads, I presume they wanted the user data as that would seem the most valuable for them.

Oh well, rumours.

Well there you go. There's plenty of rumors to fit everyone's viewpoint. That's the nice thing about them, they don't even have to be true, just repeated often enough to get traction.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #27 of 45

AllThingsD claimed the conflict came about because Google had spent a huge sum creating navigation info, and originally wanted a deal in return for Apple using it. 

 

One of the things Google wanted in return, was branding in such apps (probably something like a transparent Google logo in a corner).   Apple said no.   Ditto for adding Google Latitude.

 

Of course, Google search is still the default, and Google Maps with navigation is now available, so the claim that Apple didn't want to share user data, search or locations, doesn't still seem to apply.


Edited by KDarling - 4/29/13 at 12:58pm
post #28 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

I am not sure it is moot,

 

Darn.  Replied while I edited :)

post #29 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapple View Post

Since installing it, my location services has been used 100% of the time. Even after app restart and phone reboot.

 



Yes, they do say that first time you launch the app it will be recording your location all the time, but it's not quite clear if that meant while the app is running only. It turns out they run daemon in the background that always records you location, so it's doing that even when the application itself is not running. That's the reason I will not be using it (plus it's a little creepy). Battery drain is not a price I'm willing to pay for occasional good suggestion from Google.

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Reply

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Reply
post #30 of 45

The Location Service now runs non-stop. I had to uninstall. This app is just like the Android version, sucks down battery life and runs services in the background for no reason. Nice!

post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinm88299 View Post

The Location Service now runs non-stop. I had to uninstall. This app is just like the Android version, sucks down battery life and runs services in the background for no reason. Nice!

You can just go to Google Search settings and turn off Google Now. That prevents it from running location services all the time.

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Reply

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Reply
post #32 of 45

Hmmm. Location service icon still on for me after turning off Google Now. I force closed the Google Search app even.

post #33 of 45

Let me get this straight. In order to actually USE any of the "Google Now" so-called "services", I need to first give Google permission to know where I am at all times, let them monitor pretty much everything I do, including when and where I am doing those things, and then let them aggregate all that personal activity into new "targeted" adverts to push at me every time I open an email or browser window or anything else they feed ads through?

 

I never gave them permission to do that to begin with (and can't find any way to turn it off), but now if I browse to a corporate website, that company's product ads are forevermore fed to my subsequent browser screens, ad nauseam.

 

For example, I once browsed to Audi's website, and now most web pages I visit have Google-driven Audi ads. I checked out a couple of online courses and now get perpetu-ads from those online schools, and so on.

 

Killing off cookies doesn't help (even though I also tell my browser NOT to keep cookies from 3rd party ad servers). There must be another way they are correlating and aggregating this information.

 

Google is being evil with my privacy, so it's no "Now" for me, I guess. I'm not about to aggravate an already aggravating condition.

post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinm88299 View Post

The Location Service now runs non-stop. I had to uninstall. This app is just like the Android version, sucks down battery life and runs services in the background for no reason. Nice!


In all fairness to Google, most of the personal assistant apps use location services non-stop.

Considering Siri and all the third party personal assistants (Donna, EasilyDo, Grokr, Osito (formerly Sherpa), Reqall, Tempo, Winston, etc.) available on iPhone, Google Now isn't a great new addition.
post #35 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Let me get this straight. In order to actually USE any of the "Google Now" so-called "services", I need to first give Google permission to know where I am at all times, let them monitor pretty much everything I do, including when and where I am doing those things, and then let them aggregate all that personal activity into new "targeted" adverts to push at me every time I open an email or browser window or anything else they feed ads through?

 

As opposed to non-targeted ads?   The whole point is make your device be more personalized.  It cannot do that without knowing more about you.  Some people embrace that.  Some people hate it.  It's a personal thing for sure.

 

Quote:
I never gave them permission to do that to begin with (and can't find any way to turn it off), but now if I browse to a corporate website, that company's product ads are forevermore fed to my subsequent browser screens, ad nauseam.

 

Yep, like right here on AI.  I was looking at used cars for a friend, and now AI is full of used car ads for me. Sometimes I like that, sometimes not.  It's hardly a big deal.

 

More importantly, with support from things like Google ads, AppleInsider gets to stay open, so people can complain about Google for free.  Win-win.

 

As for controlling it, try going to your Google Dashboard and changing / deleting things like your location and web history settings or history.  You can even click on Manage Account, and choose "Delete profile and remove related Google+ features.", which supposedly removes everything.


Edited by KDarling - 4/30/13 at 4:40am
post #36 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post


Google held back turn by turn to make Android more valuable. It wasn't until Apple released its own Maps app that Google released its own app with turn by turn.

 

Google did not hold anything back.  Apple prevented them from adding both Google Maps and Google Voice to the App Store.

 

This is the same thing Apple did with Java on the Macs.  Around 2005 or so, many developers in my company switched from Windows to Macs because Jobs promised a first class Java experience on the Macs.  But Sun did not release Java on Macs.  Apple wanted to do it themselves.  But they wouldn't update Java and it was stuck (on 1.4) for ages.  Also, all the traditional secrecy meant that no one had any idea when the next version of Java would be released.  1.4->1.5 was a huge jump.  Worse, when they did release it, it was tied into the next version of the operating system.  You couldn't just install Java stand alone.  Corporations can plan without a roadmap.  Needless to say, everyone switched back to Windows. 
 

post #37 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

 

Google voice is way better at recognition, and obviously on iOS it will suffer from the lack of OS integration (though, to be fair, I am not sure you can voice launch apps on android devices either maybe someone here knows...)

 

Some apps.  But not all.  You can set appointments, listen to music, call a contact, send message (needs a click) etc.  Aaah.  Just checked.  It does work now.  So must have added it at some point.  I don't believe this was working last year.  Now I can start any app by saying "open <appName>"

post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Let me get this straight. In order to actually USE any of the "Google Now" so-called "services", I need to first give Google permission to know where I am at all times, let them monitor pretty much everything I do, including when and where I am doing those things, and then let them aggregate all that personal activity into new "targeted" adverts to push at me every time I open an email or browser window or anything else they feed ads through?

 

I never gave them permission to do that to begin with (and can't find any way to turn it off), but now if I browse to a corporate website, that company's product ads are forevermore fed to my subsequent browser screens, ad nauseam.

 

For example, I once browsed to Audi's website, and now most web pages I visit have Google-driven Audi ads. I checked out a couple of online courses and now get perpetu-ads from those online schools, and so on.

 

Killing off cookies doesn't help (even though I also tell my browser NOT to keep cookies from 3rd party ad servers). There must be another way they are correlating and aggregating this information.

 

Google is being evil with my privacy, so it's no "Now" for me, I guess. I'm not about to aggravate an already aggravating condition.

 

Yes.  If that aggravates you, Google Now is definitely not for you.  Unless you use it just for voice search.  Which you can do I believe by turning off all the cards, but I'm not sure if/how that's possible on the iOS version.  The whole point of Google Now, apart from the better search, is to notify you about things pertaining to you.  A meeting for which you must leave now based on current traffic conditions.  A search that you did on the PC just before leaving the house and need more information about - maybe driving directions.  Time (based on traffic) it will take to get to work.  Time it will take to get back home.  This is why it needs to turn on the location services.  It took about 4-5 days for it to "know" where my work was.  Home, I think, it got pretty quickly.  Possibly because I don't follow set work hours.  Scan through your email to let you know about the status of  a flight you have booked.  Track packages sent to you from fedex and ups.  Sports scores.  It gets better with time.

 

Google Now still has a long long way to go.  It's not perfect.  Has false positives.  And occasionally messes things up.  But for the most part, it gets things right.  I absolutely love it.  At the time of the announcement, I spent more time reading about Project Butter rather than Google Now.  I didn't realize how totally cool it would turn out to be. 

 

But you may also find it creepy.  In which case, turn it off.  In the case of iOS, don't install it.  Nobody's putting a gun to your head.  I never enabled Lattitude and can't stand Google+ (or any other social network) so I haven't signed into that either. 

 

You can always go to the Google Dashboard and turn off all the services you don't want to use.  https://www.google.com/dashboard/

post #39 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinm88299 View Post

The Location Service now runs non-stop. I had to uninstall. This app is just like the Android version, sucks down battery life and runs services in the background for no reason. Nice!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post

 



Yes, they do say that first time you launch the app it will be recording your location all the time, but it's not quite clear if that meant while the app is running only. It turns out they run daemon in the background that always records you location, so it's doing that even when the application itself is not running. That's the reason I will not be using it (plus it's a little creepy). Battery drain is not a price I'm willing to pay for occasional good suggestion from Google.

 

I uninstalled it as well. Not worth the battery hit.

post #40 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinm88299 View Post

The Location Service now runs non-stop. I had to uninstall. This app is just like the Android version, sucks down battery life and runs services in the background for no reason. Nice!

If you have problems with location services being on all the time try this: Go in the Google Now app to Settings - Settings - Privacy. There you have the possibility to turn off the location services.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google Now assistant launches on Apple's iPhone & iPad