or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google Now assistant launches on Apple's iPhone & iPad

Google Now assistant launches on Apple's iPhone & iPad - Page 2

post #41 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

As opposed to non-targeted ads?   The whole point is make your device be more personalized.  It cannot do that without knowing more about you.  Some people embrace that.  Some people hate it.  It's a personal thing for sure.

Yep, like right here on AI.  I was looking at used cars for a friend, and now AI is full of used car ads for me. Sometimes I like that, sometimes not.  It's hardly a big deal.

More importantly, with support from things like Google ads, AppleInsider gets to stay open, so people can complain about Google for free.  Win-win.

As for controlling it, try going to your Google Dashboard and changing / deleting things like your location and web history settings or history.  You can even click on Manage Account, and choose "Delete profile and remove related Google+ features.", which supposedly removes everything.

You're clearly assuming I have a "google dashboard" or make use of Google+… I don't. The less they know about me, the better. Although they seem to have invaded every nook and cranny of my "internet experience", like it or not. Now you're telling me that if I "personalize" with them, and volunteer even more of my personal information I can then "control" some aspects of their invasion into my privacy? Neat...

post #42 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

You're clearly assuming I have a "google dashboard" or make use of Google+… I don't. The less they know about me, the better. Although they seem to have invaded every nook and cranny of my "internet experience", like it or not. Now you're telling me that if I "personalize" with them, and volunteer even more of my personal information I can then "control" some aspects of their invasion into my privacy? Neat...

I understand your point. Any company that would go so far as to help companies deliver ads for products and services that you might be interested in based on your search and/or location history has stepped waaayy over the line and can't be trusted. It's evil I say. It's a good thing that Apple, Facebook, ATT, Verizon, Sprint, Yahoo and hundreds of others don't do that. 1bugeye.gif

EDIT: The EFF has published their annual rankings of which tech companies have your back in protecting your privacy rights when the Government comes a'knocking. Some on the list appear to be more committed than others.

https://www.eff.org/who-has-your-back-2013

Edited by Gatorguy - 5/1/13 at 11:06am
melior diabolus quem scies
post #43 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

You're clearly assuming I have a "google dashboard" or make use of Google+… I don't. 

Ah, okay.  You're saying that you have absolutely no Google account whatsoever?  No GMail, no YouTube, or anything else?   And you never use Google search while signed in?

Then it's hard to claim that "Google is being evil" with your privacy if you never gave them any info.

--

If you're referring to getting car ads because you went to various manufacturer websites, that is something that will happen with or without Google around... as there are plenty of other ad networks that gather and share website visits.

Heck, even deleting cookies or changing IP addresses often won't help these days, because some ad networks (not Google) have banded together to create MAC address databases that identify us by our network hardware.

Seems like about the only way to be anonymous these days is to proxy every request.

The upside and downside of the internet is that most of it is "free", but not really.  Many of its sites and services are paid for by ads, just like this forum.  Yet here we both are, using it.

Edited by KDarling - 5/1/13 at 11:25am
post #44 of 45
By the way, for those that haven't noticed there's a small "gear" icon in the lower right corner of the Google Now screen that lets you customize the app settings as well as enable more "cards". Some people miss it.

Edited by Gatorguy - 5/1/13 at 11:58am
post #45 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

The magic words are "vidalia" and "tor". You can be (almost) completely off the grid, if you prefer.

A couple I know who use this said it can be a slow connection even on a good day, so it's not for everyone. In addition an FAQ notes that "anonymous" is not the same as secure for those that care about both. It also mentions that apparently a node sniffer at the end can still discover the source.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google Now assistant launches on Apple's iPhone & iPad