or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Microsoft Windows Phone commercial mocks Apple-Samsung wars to promote Nokia Lumia

Microsoft Windows Phone commercial mocks Apple-Samsung wars to promote Nokia Lumia - Page 2

post #41 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'm just waiting for either some Scamsung or Apple folks to hold a mock funeral for the Windows phone. 1biggrin.gif

Samsung or Blackberry are the sorts to do stupid stunts. Jobs said all that could be said when he declared "Microsoft lacks taste."

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #42 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Samsung or Blackberry are the sorts to do stupid stunts. Jobs said all that could be said when he declared "Microsoft lacks taste."

I wasn't being serious, simply making a reference to the mock funeral Microsoft staff had for the iPhone at its launch ... it would, if Apple staff did do such stupid stunt , be forgivable and payback ... well that was I had hoped my post would be read as meaning ...
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #43 of 87
Just another Microsoft ad that tells you NOTHING about their product! Perhaps that's because there's really nothing to tell. Kinda makes you wonder why the only ads Samsung and Microsoft can do make fun of the iPhone, whereas the iPhone ads actually demonstrate the advantages of having one.
post #44 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I wasn't being serious, simply making a reference to the mock funeral Microsoft staff had for the iPhone at its launch ... it would, if Apple staff did do such stupid stunt , be forgivable and payback ... well that was I had hoped my post would be read as meaning ...

I really didn't think you were serious, but your post reminded me of the black bus full of RIMM flash mobs at the Austrailian Apple stores a year ago. That, and the mock funeral Microsoft staff did was soooo poorly done it made me roll my eyes (and I don't roll my eyes).

post #45 of 87
I think it is too late for MS to really succeed in the smartphone market. But them MS has a lot of money and little brains. Who knows.
post #46 of 87

I'll never switch to a Windows phone. Having said that, kudos to Microsoft for making a hilarious commercial. 

post #47 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleFanPro View Post

I'll never switch to a Windows phone. Having said that, kudos to Microsoft for making a hilarious commercial. 

Why do people keep saying it's a MS advert?

It's Nokia, just because it's a windows phone doesn't mean it's MS.

Good advert, would never buy one though.

post #48 of 87

Just change a few things and this could be an ad for  the AI forums!

post #49 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkman@chartermi.net View Post

Just another Microsoft ad that tells you NOTHING about their product! Perhaps that's because there's really nothing to tell. Kinda makes you wonder why the only ads Samsung and Microsoft can do make fun of the iPhone, whereas the iPhone ads actually demonstrate the advantages of having one.

Worked well for Samsung, though.
post #50 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Trust me. Ballmer would kill to have loyal phone and tablet customers like Apple enjoys. Microsoft must have been shocked at how fast they lost relevance in the smart phone market (Windows CE), and how few people came back to Windows phones when Nokia came out with them. The big bully on the block didn't realize that people were nice to him, but not because they liked him...

This ad was entertaining but seriously I doubt it will cause Apple or Samsung fans to switch... the best it may do is draw some people that have never owned a smart phone to take a look at the Nokia. 

The thing that Nokia and Samsung lack in their advertising is no one is ever shown using the phone to do anything actually useful that normal people would see as super-helpful. That's all that Apple does in their ads.

That is not completely true. They were showing couple of adds with celebrities' WP8 phones and apps they like and use. They were also showing adds with camera tech - some real, some fake. My issue with their advertising right now is that it is a bit all over the place, which fails to establish devices' image, IMHO.
post #51 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Great Ad. My take away? The Iphone is so much better looking than the S3

Agree that it looks like a iPhone 5 ad and it looks much better than S3 and Note.  

Besides, you would not normally see them without cases.  They are all ugly.

post #52 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleFanPro View Post

Why do people keep saying it's a MS advert?

It's Nokia, just because it's a windows phone doesn't mean it's MS.

Good advert, would never buy one though.

Isn't Nokia's CEO a Microsoftie?

Edit:  Yup, he sure is

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

post #53 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Of course that they all still committing a big mistake about stereotyping iOS users as fanatics. While millions buy the iPhone for status, the best costumers are the ones that use it to get work done. EVERYONE that buys a galaxy S only do it because of ads. The phone is mid range at best, be it on build quality, screen or "work-ready" features and the ecosystem is very very low-end.

Is the Lumia different? It just looks like a a different toy, it won't look good to a serious smartphone user that already has an iPhone.

Like most generalizations, this is not true. I am iPhone user since 2009 and I am looking at Lumia 920. My iPhone still serves me well so I'm not desperate to replace it, thus I might wait second half of this year to check iPhone 5s and new Lumias, so while my switch is not set in stone, it is very likely.

Rest of your post... our bosses use iPhones and our senior and system engineers use S3. Bosses are also with tech background, and they all use their phones (work related) almost identically - emails, phone,calendar, texting, ConnectWise client (crappy on both platforms), browsing. Both platforms are performing equally well for us - that is, extremely well - as we have good IT infrastructure and basically zero downtime with our internal services. One slight advantage of S3, as observed - while resolutions are comparable, larger screen makes S3 a bit less claustrophobic in web browsing primarily, but some other tasks as well.
post #54 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Good ad, too bad the product they are selling is a piece of junk with no decent apps available.   That's why Windows phone users can say much, no one uses them.

Hahahhahaha.

Looking at first couple of quarters Apple had with iPhone sale figures, I'd say Nokia is not doing too bad. On the contrary, when one consider how much tougher competition is nowadays.

Also things like Engadget's Readers Choice shouldn't be taken too lightly (and I believe smart people at Apple and Google don't). While number of voters is limited, it is higher than I expected, and looking at other categories, it doesn't look like Engadget readers have dominant anti-Apple feelings, which makes this poll a good (albeit not definite) probe into customers' taste.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/06/vote-for-the-2012-engadget-awards/

A lot of people will let their bias blind them. Such people who laughed when iPhone was released. Such people who laughed when first Android phones were released. Or iPad, or Android tablets. I don't think many of them still laugh, and those who do might have their heads checked. I believe that Nokia - and whole Windows Phone platform - can repeat this and become serious player. I'm not talking about world dominance crap, I'm talking about 3 horse race. Or maybe even 4. I think WP8 has it's beachhead, I'm not sure about new Blackberry yet.
post #55 of 87
Well played Nokia. If anything, it makes Samsung look sillier the next time they run an Apple-people-are-dumb ad. Apple hasn't publicly acknowledged the competition since the pc/Mac ads.
post #56 of 87
Was that opening line by the minister, "I am delighted..." supposed to be a spin off on a Tim Cook opening line from an Apple event? If so...Well Done. Not going to by a Nokia, but Well Done!
post #57 of 87

Yeah, I like that ad. Funny, and interesting. I'm an apple guy, and I have to admit, the part about "switch" was hilarious :)

post #58 of 87

Advertising is successful on only one scale:  how effectively it creates sales.

Good ads point out why you want the product.  Why it's special.  What it does for you. 

Bad ads point out why you don't want the competition. 

Bad ads make you think the commercial is for one product when it's actually for another (I didn't realize it was for Nokia either). 

So, I want a Lumia because then I can avoid fighting with my Apple/Samsung rival? 

Makes zero sense.  The average phone customer is not a reader of apple/android blogs to get the humor in this.  This spot will not move the needle for sales one bit.  I can understand why advertising "creatives" would come up with this but continue to be baffled by marketing/product managers who green-light these concepts and throw business sense out the window.

post #59 of 87
stop fighting in here too and make a #switch. Windows is the way too go.
post #60 of 87

Love the Commercial... "Weeeeeeee!"

Is Stephen Elop (CEO Nokia) the minister? Looks a lot like him.

post #61 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Oh Microsoft! How does it feel to be the Linux of the smartphone world?

Actually Android is the Linux of the smartphone world and it seems it is coming to the desktop/laptop as well

post #62 of 87

That ad was funny!  Great job Nokia.

post #63 of 87
Pathetic ad. MS is indeed on the way out. Their primary business model is still to rubbish the other players - that's why they're failing.
post #64 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Looking at first couple of quarters Apple had with iPhone sale figures, I'd say Nokia is not doing too bad. On the contrary, when one consider how much tougher competition is nowadays.

Really? You're actually going there? Did you actually type that with a straight face? 

The consumer smartphone market was pretty much non-existant when the iPhone launched. 

Oh, and it started at $599. 

On CONTRACT. 

On 1 carrier. 

In 1 country. 

I mean.. come on. If you really need to compare sales of ANY current phone to that of the original iPhone initially- then you're reaching. You may as well also admire how impressive Nokia's phones are compared to the original iPhone's 2G connection. 

Edited by Slurpy - 4/29/13 at 11:22pm
post #65 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCProfessor View Post

I actually own two of them. After credits, rebates, and free accessories, ATT/Nokia was paying people to take them this past holiday season. I got it as a backup phone... good thing since my daughter's IP5 was stolen, but we'll get her back into another IP5 soon. But the phone hardware is awesome. The OS is refreshing in a weird sense. It's like eating steak/lobster 6 nights a week and on the 7th night you have a hotdog loaded with chili mustard and onions.

I also own the 920.  I made the switch back in November.  I have a Mac and I have found that just because I have a Mac does not mean I NEED to own an iPhone anymore.  I bought the phone i liked the best.  There are apps that I can download that I can upload all my iTunes content to the phone and SkyDrive puts my photos on the computer.  Will I go back to the iPhone?  If they make a phone that I like more than other phones.  I am not loyal to any company.  

post #66 of 87
Like barf out
Gag me with a spoon
I am sure
Totally
post #67 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Like most generalizations, this is not true. I am iPhone user since 2009 and I am looking at Lumia 920. My iPhone still serves me well so I'm not desperate to replace it, thus I might wait second half of this year to check iPhone 5s and new Lumias, so while my switch is not set in stone, it is very likely.

Rest of your post... our bosses use iPhones and our senior and system engineers use S3. Bosses are also with tech background, and they all use their phones (work related) almost identically - emails, phone,calendar, texting, ConnectWise client (crappy on both platforms), browsing. Both platforms are performing equally well for us - that is, extremely well - as we have good IT infrastructure and basically zero downtime with our internal services. One slight advantage of S3, as observed - while resolutions are comparable, larger screen makes S3 a bit less claustrophobic in web browsing primarily, but some other tasks as well.

And that's a stupid observation because dozens of phones with better screens exist. In fact, a few phones are better on almost everything.

post #68 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

You would have been great in this commercial. I can see you grabbing a bottle of vinho de porto and jumping through the air with an expression of pure rage and smashing it over the head of that guy holding the galaxy tab. Not all iOS users are fanatics but you my friend fit that stereotype to a tee. 

Vinho do porto on the head of someone that bought a galaxy tab? Oh boy, why would i waste great wine on a head full of sh*t?

post #69 of 87
This was an entertaining ad. However, it was more about Apple and Samsung and touting their features rather than the features that MSFT's phone offers that the others don't currently offer. So I can't say it was great because I didn't learn anything about why MSFT's phone is any better than the others....accept others feel more passionately about their phone.
post #70 of 87

Now that comment was spot on (Linux of the smartphone world).  I've moved to W8, WP8 and Surface Pro and I'll say that, as opposed to awesome toys, these products help get work done.  My only disappointment is that I feel very......  alone....  like I'm on an island with some of the best products in the world and nobody knows.

post #71 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdZ1 View Post

Now that comment was spot on (Linux of the smartphone world).  I've moved to W8, WP8 and Surface Pro and I'll say that, as opposed to awesome toys, these products help get work done.  My only disappointment is that I feel very......  alone....  like I'm on an island with some of the best products in the world and nobody knows.

A phone that is worse on every single metric than the iphone, an hybrid that is worse on every single the air does and on everything the iPad does, an OS that is a joke compared to the awesome plataform that is iOS or the greatness that defines OSX.

Best products? Shut up.

post #72 of 87
Originally Posted by EdZ1 View Post
…toys…

Shut up and go away, you worthless troll.

My only disappointment is that I feel very......  alone....  like I'm on an island with some of the best products in the world and nobody knows.

You're only alone on the Isle of Delusion because it refuses to show you the tens of millions of others who reside there.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #73 of 87
"Don't fight. Switch"...

to a garish luminous colored phone nobody cares about enough to fight over. They get points for making a funny ad though. "Excuse me, do you mind moving your enormous phone".
post #74 of 87
It is a point that Microsoft advertises colicky keyboards, google advertises giant phones that can touch, and apple advertises the phone can carry a conversation however it has changed.
post #75 of 87
I thought ad was pretty good too! But no switch here!
post #76 of 87

I enjoyed the add. And then I red comments - and realized how much of this add is true. Most people writing that lumia 920 is a "wreck" or "garbage" truly never even saw/hold/experienced one. I had Iphone 4S, 2 weeks ago I switched to Lumia 920. For my work I use Office (word, excel), photo camera and skype a lot...everyday. And what can I say... I cant think of even one reason why Iphone was better. Surfing the net is faster, and I enjoy the design and bigger screen that works with gloves (ohh I love it when weather is cold out). Ohhh and wireless charging too, although I dont use is often.

To sum up - no Im not getting paid for this post, as I am sure a lot of Samsung writers do. I actually switched two weeks ago and so happy. I dont even care if Nok or Microsoft fail and exit smartphone market. Im just grateful for the beauty they produced.

post #77 of 87
Very funny Ad, I still haven't seen a Nokia 920 on the street so I wonder who's buying them. I'm still pissed that Nokia dumped Meego, my Nokia N9 was pure perfection. So no new Nokia for me.
Edited by Relic - 5/1/13 at 8:06am
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #78 of 87
Do you not think that you are not as independent as you think?

Lets face it the WP8 is a better phone than iPhone. The nokia maps are far superior. The live tiles are a great idea and frankly I remember the launch of iPhone where everyone got excited on a daily basis about the new app in the appstore. There were so few you could actually notice what was new.

The apple discipline around apps is being copied by Microsoft and that is a good thing. Just like microsofts investment in apple all those years ago to keep apple afloat was also a good thing.
post #79 of 87
Originally Posted by wayneba View Post
Lets face it the WP8 is a better phone than iPhone.

Bye!

The nokia maps are far superior.

lol.

The live tiles are a great idea and frankly I remember the launch of iPhone where everyone got excited on a daily basis about the new app in the appstore. There were so few you could actually notice what was new.

Even if you hadn't been throwing around crap before, you lose automatically for thinking fewer apps is better.

The apple discipline around apps is being copied by Microsoft and that is a good thing.

Theft of IP is not a good thing. I thought the last 30 years would have shown you that.

Just like microsofts investment in apple all those years ago to keep apple afloat was also a good thing.

Just shut up. Is your only knowledge of history watching Pirates of Silicon Valley?

Don't post again until you know anything about which you're speaking.

post #80 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneba View Post

Lets face it the WP8 is a better phone than iPhone. The nokia maps are far superior.

Wow you must really like your phone to post such a bold claim here. I agree about Nokia Maps, not better then Google but defiantly better then Apples. That will change though, Apple is making huge strides in their mapping software.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Microsoft Windows Phone commercial mocks Apple-Samsung wars to promote Nokia Lumia
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Microsoft Windows Phone commercial mocks Apple-Samsung wars to promote Nokia Lumia