or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › BlackBerry CEO expects 'several tens of millions' of Q10 unit sales

BlackBerry CEO expects 'several tens of millions' of Q10 unit sales - Page 2

post #41 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkevwill View Post

Thats the thing, They have millions who think like that. BB will come out with less expensive devices soon also.

You need to get that tinfoil hat retuned...

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #42 of 67
Me thinks Blackberry CEO needs to lay off the wacky tobaccy... So if he doesn't sell "10 million" will his pay be slashed?
post #43 of 67

is this Retroinsider or Appleinsider?

post #44 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo007 View Post

I think a lot of people are underestimating BlackBerry, just like every body was with Apple in 1997. I think RIM did a great job with acquiring solid companies to make BlackBerry successful. I have been a apple fan for a long time and still am. I love Apple computers and will always continue to do so. The iphone though I recently gave up. The reason for this is simple, for starters there is no removable battery, second is that the keyboard on the iphone just sucks for people who have to write in more than one language. I use to struggle so much with the iphone to always change the keyboard language from English to French all the time. Some people will say well its so easy to do, we'll it is but it gets really annoying when you have to do it all the time and always have to remember to switch your keyboard language for particular clients. I think the q10 will sell in the millions for sure as there is a strong demand for keyboards and anybody doing serious emails will end up probably getting it.
I kind of get where you're going, but the removable battery point.... Seriously?
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #45 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBarrett View Post

I think you guys are underestimating how successful this phone will be. I am a big Mac fan, have a houseful of Apple phones, iPads, laptops but FOR BUSINESS I am ditching my iPhone for a Q10. I will keep my personal iPhone and will use my MacBook everyday. I am more productive with a keyboard and when you deal with 150 emails and texts per day the keyboard is the only way to go. I have actually put my iPhone 4 from my company back in the drawer and resurrected a Blackberry Bold until I can order a Q10. Give me a real BB keyboard anyday, the iPhone is fun, but I can do more, faster, and more accurately on a BB. Hurry up and ship it in the US BB. Verizon has several orders just waiting to be put in from our company.

I don't understand this, a fan of blackberry or android always claimed that he is also a huge Apple fan with a house full of Apple gadgets.

Get a life dude.
post #46 of 67

The only people who have been cracking jokes are Eric Schmidt and these fellows.

post #47 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

They just have the one now...

I know, it was a joke. I used find it funny they had two CEOs.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #48 of 67

I fin it awesome that every time an article about blackberry is written, dozens of new accounts are created, be it on Cnet, Verge, Apple rumours sites.

Why no one states the obvious?

post #49 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I kind of get where you're going, but the removable battery point.... Seriously?

I wonder why Mophie juice pack is such a popular product

post #50 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

It does seem to be an antiquated style.

Banking on old technology doesn't seem very bright. I guess we'll see. 

Music companies still manufacture CD's, I think.

In the case of music, digital downloads are not only barely noticeably inferior to CDs, they also provide a level of convenience that cannot be matched. In the case of the Q10, the physical keyboard is still much superior to the virtual one. I question whether 10s of millions of people feel that strongly, but there will be a decent number. What BB should work on is a cheaper version of the Q10.

post #51 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

I fin it awesome that every time an article about blackberry is written, dozens of new accounts are created, be it on Cnet, Verge, Apple rumours sites.

Why no one states the obvious?

Ok. I will state the obvious. You spend too much time on too many tech sites, examining trivial details that can't possibly contribute to your income (or perhaps your academic performance). ;-)

post #52 of 67
Originally Posted by RBBarrett View Post
I think you guys are underestimating how successful this phone will be.

You can't underestimate 0%.

I am a big Mac fan, have a houseful of Apple phones, iPads, laptops…

SHUT UP. Rules #4 & 5.

…when you deal with 150 emails and texts per day the keyboard is the only way to go.

Absolutely ludicrous. Your lack of ability does not preclude it being better.

Give me a real BB keyboard anyway…

Said people in 2006. NOT SINCE.

…the iPhone is fun, but I can do more, faster, and more accurately on a BB.

Maybe actually put some work into the future, huh?

I think a lot of people are underestimating BlackBerry…

RIM employees, please go away. ECHO, ECHO!

…I have been a apple fan for a long time and still am. I love Apple computers and will always continue to do so.

SHUT UP. Rules #4 & 5. ECHO, ECHO!

…for starters there is no removable battery…

For starters, you're an idiot trapped in 2006.

…the keyboard on the iPhone just sucks for people who have to write in more than one language.

Press one button and the language changes. Now shut up and actually use the product before lying about it.

I use to struggle so much with the iphone to always change the keyboard language from English to French all the time.

You have never used an iPhone. 

…anybody doing serious emails will end up probably getting it.

Hey. We have a rule against multiple accounts. Also against corporate accounts. ECHO, ECHO!

Originally Posted by Blackberry 4Me View Post
That's the problem with Apple users, they don't understand.

No, RIM employee. You don't understand.

Originally Posted by DonPedro View Post

I wonder why Mophie juice pack is such a popular product

Comparatively, it isn't.

Edited by Tallest Skil - 4/30/13 at 8:08am
post #53 of 67
Quote:

The reason for this is simple, for starters there is no removable battery, second is that the keyboard on the iphone just sucks for people who have to write in more than one language. I use to struggle so much with the iphone to always change the keyboard language from English to French all the time. Some people will say well its so easy to do, we'll it is but it gets really annoying when you have to do it all the time and always have to remember to switch your keyboard language for particular clients. I think the q10 will sell in the millions for sure as there is a strong demand for keyboards and anybody doing serious emails will end up probably getting it.

Wait... your saying that you can remove the BB's physical keyboard and replace with another language keyboard instead, and type in another language on the fly?

Um, until they have fully removable keyboards on the BB's, it will not be anywhere close to a software touch keyboard of any other device, that is able to change on the fly to keys you need for the needed language.  Try to change your BB's keyboard to an Asian one and see if you remember all the combo's to put in your correct characters.  With a software one, where you click the one you want instead of comboing it.

And why is it that CEO's love to use the MS version of "sold units" with the shipped numbers, and not the actually sold ones.  Oh, yea that's right to make it look like they are actually selling units. instead of using them as dust collectors in warehouses.

oh and just an FYI - physical removable keyboards on a portable device is a very bad idea.  One, it can come loose and get lost, the plug can get damaged and not able to type.  Or many other fun things can happen to cause things not to work, or not work correctly.

You don't want to make me curmudgeon, you would not like me when I am curmudgeon.  I go all caps, bold, with a 72PT font and green lettering.  

You don't want to make me curmudgeon, you would not like me when I am curmudgeon.  I go all caps, bold, with a 72PT font and green lettering.  

post #54 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkBlade View Post

Wait... your saying that you can remove the BB's physical keyboard and replace with another language keyboard instead, and type in another language on the fly?

Um, until they have fully removable keyboards on the BB's, it will not be anywhere close to a software touch keyboard of any other device, that is able to change on the fly to keys you need for the needed language.  Try to change your BB's keyboard to an Asian one and see if you remember all the combo's to put in your correct characters.  With a software one, where you click the one you want instead of comboing it.

And why is it that CEO's love to use the MS version of "sold units" with the shipped numbers, and not the actually sold ones.  Oh, yea that's right to make it look like they are actually selling units. instead of using them as dust collectors in warehouses.

oh and just an FYI - physical removable keyboards on a portable device is a very bad idea.  One, it can come loose and get lost, the plug can get damaged and not able to type.  Or many other fun things can happen to cause things not to work, or not work correctly.

Despite all the times that the iPhone has been called a "toy" nothing screams toy to me than having a bag full of interchangeable components for a phone. I've never heard of people changing out their HW keyboard on a phone, and the whole removable battery argument is always myopic. These people don't care about the longest battery life on a device, they care about being able to remove a panel, switch out the battery with another one, and replace the back panel.

You now have a dead battery that can't be charged unless you buy a separate charger for that specific internal battery (another component to carry) or you swap them back out with the phone and charge them separately. That not only means you're doing the swap twice as many times but you're also having to turn your phone off and on each time. I guess that's fin when your mobile OS crashes daily, but for iPhone owners that's not common.

And if you point out that you can carry an extra battery will charge the phone while it's on, being used, in your pocket, in your bag, etc. and do quite quickly they'll complain about having to carry it with them as if that wasn't happening with their Barbie phone with full tech wardrobe. You also can get many different battery size options that can work with cameras, tablets, etc.. and that can be charged while you're charging your iPhone, even off the same power cable depending on the type.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #55 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

SHUT UP. Rules #4 & 5.

Press one button and the language changes. Now shut up and actually use the product before lying about it.

Hey. We have a rule against multiple accounts. Also against corporate accounts. ECHO, ECHO!

Comparatively, it isn't.

There are still many companies that insist on the level of security that BB has. Those companies will at least buy these and I still see plenty of people with BBs that I'm sure that most will upgrade to another BB.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #56 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

There are still many companies that insist on the level of security that BB has. Those companies will at least buy these and I still see plenty of people with BBs that I'm sure that most will upgrade to another BB.

That is a fairy tale. There are several MDM solutions for iPhone and Android devices that meet or exceed BB's security and include features that are important for some corporations, like SharePoint support. Of course, they also cost money, and they have to replace some core iOS and Android apps with own apps, using own encryption keys and tunnelling, as both OS's security can be bypassed by simple jailbreaking or rooting. But nobody in environments with strict security requirements uses them like that.

post #57 of 67
Wow such negativity, who cares if a CEO of a company is optimistic. I for one endorse enthusiasm over ones products. There are still people who enjoy a good hardware keyboard especially when it's pared with a competent OS. I for one hope RIM does well, I want more competition not less.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #58 of 67
Quote:

SHUT UP. Rules #4 & 5.

Comparatively, it isn't.

Why such rage. Take it easy man or you might blow an iFuse, iFuse, iFuse, iFuse (Echo. Get it)

post #59 of 67
Originally Posted by DonPedro View Post
Why such rage.

I'm sick of anti-Apple trolls spewing blatant lies on our website. 

Get it

I get that you're a paid shill, yeah.

post #60 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

All they need are millions more people like you 1wink.gif
10s of millions 1smile.gif
post #61 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Although I have my doubts, I hope he is right.

It is sad to see the glee herein. Some (many?) of you, particularly those who cannot hold a candle to BB's founds in accomplishment, are hoping for this company to die off, and are in fact celebrating their demise already. Why? Is it not a good thing to have another turnaround story? There are thousands of jobs at stake. It is doubtful all or even many would find equivalent alternatives without moving. A BB comeback is good for everyone. 
I wouldn't say gleeful to see Blackberry & other phone companies struggle just vested in Apple, nothing personal
post #62 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberry 4Me View Post

mstone
I am at a loss to understand how they think such an old, obsolete phone design has any chance in hell of selling 10s of millions

Well actually there is nothing obsolete in the Q10, it has a new OS paired with competent hardware. I can sort of understand the animosity towards Android but the new BB 10 OS is pretty good. RIM has released what seems to be a last hail Marry and we should at least applaud their audacity for not going quietly in the night. I think Apple insider should stop posting stories about none Apple issues, it seems to bring out the school yard bully in all of us.
Edited by Relic - 5/1/13 at 1:57am
post #63 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skill 

Yes changing the keyboard language in iOS is easy but you have to navigate to the settings app, select General, Keyboard, then click on the desired language. When your done typing you have to do it all over again, easy yes, pain yes. In BB there is a keyboard shortcut, Alt-Enter done. As I live in Switzerland I write emails in French, German and English almost everyday, sometimes even Italian, so that hotkey is a pretty convenient thing. BB 10 will now switch the keyboard and even the spell checker automatically when it detects that your typing in a different language so you don't even have to use the hotkey. Even going so far as suggesting a word or word complete.
post #64 of 67
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
Yes changing the keyboard language in iOS is easy but you have to navigate to the settings app, select General, Keyboard, then click on the desired language. When your done typing you have to do it all over again, easy yes, pain yes.

Uh… no. Not at all. It's called leaving it alone. And you don't even have to do that to get to the appropriate modifier keys if you just want a snippet.

In BB there is a keyboard shortcut, Alt-Enter done.

SO PRESSING TWO KEYS IS NOW MAGICALLY EASIER THAN PRESSING ONE, HUH?! 1oyvey.gif

As I live in Switzerland I write emails in French, German and English almost everyday, sometimes even Italian, so that hotkey is a pretty convenient thing.

Yeah, Apple's hotkey is a pretty convenient thing, huh? Tell me, if you go past Italian, what happens? Does it cycle around to English or does it keep going through 40 more languages? If the former, how does it know?

post #65 of 67
If you're an iPhone convert looking to get your iCloud data on your new BlackBerry z10 or q10 not to worry.

Adding your iCloud email, calendar and contacts to your new BlackBerry 10 phone is simple and we'll walk you through it.

It doesn't take much more effort than entering any other accounts, you just need a bit of extra info to get it all sorted.

This setup will allow you to send and receive iCloud email as well as sync up your contacts and calendar with your BlackBerry 10 device. Keep reading to get it done!

First we'll try the "easy" method. If this doesn't work for you, we'll break it down in detail below so you can still get your accounts set up.

Go to Settings > Accounts
Tap Add Account on the bottom
Enter your iCloud.com account login credentials and tap Next. Your contacts calander and push email info will be pulled in and you'll be good to go. Use @icloud.com not @me.con and simple as that
post #66 of 67
Just tryed it on my friends z10 and all his icloud info went right on his phone contacts calender and email so it works good cant wait to put my SIM card in a q10 and get rid of iphone 5 tmobile is getting them last week. In ay not much longer to go glad the icloud works a discount need to switch to anew cloud for my email contacts and calender
post #67 of 67
Quote:

Uh… no. Not at all. It's called leaving it alone. And you don't even have to do that to get to the appropriate modifier keys if you just want a snippet.

SO PRESSING TWO KEYS IS NOW MAGICALLY EASIER THAN PRESSING ONE, HUH?! 1oyvey.gif

Yeah, Apple's hotkey is a pretty convenient thing, huh? Tell me, if you go past Italian, what happens? Does it cycle around to English or does it keep going through 40 more languages? If the former, how does it know?

Wow, you really are Mr. Grumpy. First the keyboard is a learning keyboard, all languages that you have selected are always active. If I type, Ihr ein mürrischer Mensch, the second I type, Ihr it understands that I'm in German and will change the spell checker accordingly, even auto correct. Works quite well and very fast.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › BlackBerry CEO expects 'several tens of millions' of Q10 unit sales