or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › BlackBerry CEO predicts tablet market will diminish within five years
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BlackBerry CEO predicts tablet market will diminish within five years - Page 2

post #41 of 100

A firm that does not make tablets tell its customers that they stink? Did they also ridicule the iPhone when it first came out?

 

Anyway, it's interesting that Heins mentioned the concept of smart phone plug-in to a big LCD screen. That's a cool concept that I have thought of a few times. Imagine... a phone in your pocket, a computer on your desk, a game console on your TV. A phone, a computer, a gaming console. Are you getting it?

post #42 of 100

I have the image of him with a finger in each ear shouting la la la la.

post #43 of 100

LOL

post #44 of 100
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post
Imagine crap? What the hell are you talking about?

 

A 5" "phone". I thought that'd be clear.


The galaxy note loses to the iPhone on every single metric and still is better for playing games, internet, reading, watching videos, etc just because it is a decent 5" phone, even if too expensive for what it is.

 

There's a reason it loses on every single metric, and no, it's not better at those things because of its size.


Put a 5" on an iPhone, change the design so it isn't the same thing just proportionally bigger, make apps for it, give it the right things and you have the better product ever created on the history of electronics.

 

Hyperbole about a hyperbolic device; that's understandable.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #45 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Sorry guys, But I totally (and I mean it seriously) can see his point.

 

Give someone a galaxy note 2 with LTE and that person will never use a tablet again. Only the phone and a computer when something needs to be done.

Now imagine a phone like the note but done right.

 

The screen provides a great browsing experience, it's lighter and more portable, has the firepower of a regular tablet, makes calls and has the conveniences of a phone. That's a fact, most people use tablets for things that can easily be done (in some cases it is even better) on a 5" phone.

 

We still do not have a flagship (great) 5" phone, But Apple can do that. Just imagine that.

 

Please Apple, it would fit perfectly on the usage of million and millions of people and for the others you have a 4" screen and an iPad.

 

Give someone a 5" tablet with LTE and they'll never use a tablet again?  While I really do understand what pedromartin means, that folks is why there are so few millionaires and billionaires. Predicting the future is hard.

post #46 of 100

Besides, 20 years ago, there was doubt around the GUI, similar with what we have today with the tablet arena.

 

WIll the tablet stay a tablet and eat PC sales?

Will a tablet become a hybrid device like the surface?

-If that happens, Apple will still put great products for many years, but they will lose the leading position.

 

MY POV is,

 

Computers like the air and retina will keep improving and dominating, but the pc market will go down in size, because of phones and the fact that tablets will morph into phones too. The phablet. If that happens and Apple does nothing, well, the leading role goes to someone else and i do not like that.

 

People with big screens on their phones do not need a tablet at all.

 

Apple is being stubborn just like MS is with pens (gates) and keyboards (ballmer). 

post #47 of 100
The popularity of iPads among kids for games will alone ensure its ongoing survival. What an absurd remark all the more so because of the well-noted and precarious state of Blackberry's own survival prospects.
post #48 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoffdino View Post

Anyway, it's interesting that Heins mentioned the concept of smart phone plug-in to a big LCD screen. That's a cool concept that I have thought of a few times. Imagine... a phone in your pocket, a computer on your desk, a game console on your TV. A phone, a computer, a gaming console. Are you getting it?

Motorola Atrix did it 2 years ago.  There's nothing amazing or revolutionary about docking a phone to computer monitor.  It's no more amazing than hooking a single board computer like a Raspberry Pi to a monitor.

post #49 of 100
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Apple is being stubborn just like MS is with pens (gates) and keyboards (ballmer). 

 

No, Apple is being stubborn just like Apple did with Blu-ray and netbooks.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #50 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Besides, 20 years ago, there was doubt around the GUI, similar with what we have today with the tablet arena.

No there wasn't. 20 years ago was when Windows 3.1 came out.  Who, exactly, was doubting the GUI at that point?

post #51 of 100
I view this as huge news for RIM stockholders. It's now clear RIM knows what the tablet replacement device will be and has a head start on their competition. I'm happy he gave no details so it will be more revolutionary.
post #52 of 100
Saying tablets are dying with a straight face, much less a smirk, is why this guy gets the big bucks.
post #53 of 100

and with Flash. And Java I hope.

post #54 of 100
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"In five years I don't think there'll be a reason to have a tablet anymore," Heins said.

 

In five years, the tech media will repost your statements, Thorsten.  In "Where are they now?" pieces about the rapid decline and fall of RIM in the wake of iPhone and iPad.  And how BlackBerry's last CEO, you, utterly failed to extend the company's life.

 

 

 


Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

I need to figure out, for my enterprise customers, for my consumers, for my BB10 audience, what can I do that provides them a mobile computing experience in the form factor of a tablet, which goes beyond just the puristic tablet experience."
 

Maybe you can copy Microsoft this time.  You know, with a cheesy snap-on keyboard for your next pad.

 

 

 


Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

BlackBerry's previous foray into the tablet sector, the PlayBook, proved a disaster for the company. The small form factor tablet never took off, and the company was forced to write down roughly half a billion dollars in unsold inventory.
 

Once burned, twice shy.  It's time to consolidate BlackBerry's engineering talent behind just the phone.

This will make it easier to understand the company's assets while you're shopping it around.

Who knows?  Maybe you can sucker HP into buying what remains of BlackBerry.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #55 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Emperor View Post

 

Give someone a 5" tablet with LTE and they'll never use a tablet again?  While I really do understand what pedromartin means, that folks is why there are so few millionaires and billionaires. Predicting the future is hard.

I know it is hard, but it is based on what I see. People look tablets mostly for browsing, games, email and videos. Everything related to multimedia.

 

You are going to a meeting, you are on the bus, you are on a train... Will you use your phone or tablet on the go? Is it better to use a tablet or 5" phone for the games we have now? Sorry but must people will have the phone on their pockets the whole time, and ready to go. So the tablet loses here, me thinks. (read the next part please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

A 5" "phone". I thought that'd be clear.

 

There's a reason it loses on every single metric, and no, it's not better at those things because of its size.

 

Hyperbole about a hyperbolic device; that's understandable.

And this is why this post is moronic and ads nothing to a rational discussion. You are being obtuse here, tallest.

 

The note provides a better browsing and gaming experience (and anything media related) than the iPhone, despite having worse screen quality, worse build quality, worse hardware features and Android is disgusting. But play the same games on both devices, it is much enjoyable on the note. Send an email on the same app. Watch a video on youtube. Despite how awesome Safari is, try and browse for long periods on time. Read something.

 

It is much more enjoyable on the note. There's no denying that. 

 

Apple can fix those flaws like build quality, screen quality, OS and software. Of course the price will go up...

post #56 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applelunatic View Post

No there wasn't. 20 years ago was when Windows 3.1 came out.  Who, exactly, was doubting the GUI at that point?

To add there was also System 7 from Apple, Windows NT 3.1 (which also had a GUI), OS/2 2.0 with the new Workplace Shell, etc. Basically any OS of any significant use on desktops had a GUI by that point.  The only people you could possibly claim were "doubting" the GUI were the DOS and UNIX nerds of the day but they were a niche minority of desktop users.

post #57 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applelunatic View Post

No there wasn't. 20 years ago was when Windows 3.1 came out.  Who, exactly, was doubting the GUI at that point?

Right before that, then.

post #58 of 100
Idiotic statment!
post #59 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Sorry guys, But I totally (and I mean it seriously) can see his point.

 

Give someone a galaxy note 2 with LTE and that person will never use a tablet again. Only the phone and a computer when something needs to be done.

Now imagine a phone like the note but done right.

 

The screen provides a great browsing experience, it's lighter and more portable, has the firepower of a regular tablet, makes calls and has the conveniences of a phone. That's a fact, most people use tablets for things that can easily be done (in some cases it is even better) on a 5" phone.

 

We still do not have a flagship (great) 5" phone, But Apple can do that. Just imagine that.

 

Please Apple, it would fit perfectly on the usage of million and millions of people and for the others you have a 4" screen and an iPad.

I don't think tablets are going away - they are the new laptops and will continue to evolve as such. 

 

But you have a point - I would argue about your definition, however. Calling a well designed 5" phone that performs most of the functions of today's iPhone as well as many of the iPad's,  a 'phone' seems wrong. For people who want a 'phone', a 5 or 6" device is probably too big. But for a tablet (that can also be used as a phone) that fits into your pocket, it could be the primary device of the future. I can see that.

post #60 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Right before that, then.

Untrue as well.  Amigas and Ataris had GUIs in the mid 1980s.  And they were among the most popular lines of computers in sales at that time up through the early 90s.

 

 

Either way, can you provide specific references to these "doubters" you are referencing?  The only people I ever heard disparaging GUIs were Unix neckbeards.  Hardly a mainstream group.

post #61 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I don't think tablets are going away - they are the new laptops and will continue to evolve as such. 

 

But you have a point - I would argue about your definition, however. Calling a well designed 5" phone that performs most of the functions of today's iPhone as well as many of the iPad's,  a 'phone' seems wrong. For people who want a 'phone', a 5 or 6" device is probably too big. But for a tablet (that can also be used as a phone) that fits into your pocket, it could be the primary device of the future. I can see that.

Exactly.

 

Thanks for you sincere and educated response. You should be a mod.

post #62 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applelunatic View Post

Untrue as well.  Amigas and Ataris had GUIs in the mid 1980s.  And they were among the most popular lines of computers in sales at that time up through the early 90s.

You have the benefit of being in 2013, but people like Paul Allen, Bill gates, those that ruled the industry back then said time after that that everyone had doubts. Although, all doubts were gone when they saw the final products.

post #63 of 100
Is it any wonder blackberry lost so much market share? With an idiot like that I'm surprised their still in business. Clearly tablets are selling by the millions, and although their success is right infront of his face, he can't see it! Clearly he doesn't have a clue where technological alterations in the marketplace are going.
post #64 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

You have the benefit of being in 2013, but people like Paul Allen, Bill gates, those that ruled the industry back then said time after that that everyone had doubts. Although, all doubts were gone when they saw the final products.

Provide specific quotes please.  Because I don't believe it since the ST line and Amigas were amongst the most popular computers from the mid 80s to the early 90s and they had GUIs.

post #65 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

"We don't know how to make a tablet so we will simply wish them away."

Did I get that right?
 


Wish them "into the cornfield" is more like it.

post #66 of 100
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

It is much more enjoyable on the note. There's no denying that. 

 

I'm denying it. *shrug*

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #67 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

It is much more enjoyable on the note. There's no denying that.

Sure there is. Your statement is nothing but opinion that you are masquerading as if it's some universal fact.

post #68 of 100
People have such short memories. I am not saying he is right just that it was only a handful of years ago the experts were saying tablets would not be a big thing. With technology progressing at its present pace the next big thing could very well be just around the corner. All it would take to replace the tablet is some moderate improvements in voice technology and a way to project a holographic screen.

It could take three years or ten but it will happen. One of the biggest reasons I have always maintained that a desktop touchscreen is a fail is because the real future is in voice control of our devices. In reality a tablet is just a transitional device to pocket sized computing devices with a projected screen. The only real question is how long this phase will last.
post #69 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

You have the benefit of being in 2013, but people like Paul Allen, Bill gates, those that ruled the industry back then said time after that that everyone had doubts. Although, all doubts were gone when they saw the final products.

I think you're confusing something.  Bill Gates showed IBM a prototype of Windows back in 1983 that IBM brushed off because they were building their own graphical shell called TopView.  I seriously doubt you can cite any CEO of a successful technology company from the 80s or 90s making sweeping denouncements of GUIs.

post #70 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonistic View Post

People have such short memories. I am not saying he is right just that it was only a handful of years ago the experts were saying tablets would not be a big thing. With technology progressing at its present pace the next big thing could very well be just around the corner. All it would take to replace the tablet is some moderate improvements in voice technology and a way to project a holographic screen.

It could take three years or ten but it will happen. One of the biggest reasons I have always maintained that a desktop touchscreen is a fail is because the real future is in voice control of our devices. In reality a tablet is just a transitional device to pocket sized computing devices with a projected screen. The only real question is how long this phase will last.

We've had voice control of devices for more than a decade now.  Welcome to the world of yesteryear!

post #71 of 100
Originally Posted by Protagonistic View Post
One of the biggest reasons I have always maintained that a desktop touchscreen is a fail is because the real future is in voice control of our devices.

 

Mmm… you can't really have an office full of people all talking to their computers simultaneously.

 

A desktop touchscreen doesn't work because everyone wants it to be vertical. Everyone is stupid. lol.gif Apple, at least, realizes that vertical touchscreens just don't work. That's why I'm confident in the success of their mouse+keyboard successor.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #72 of 100
Let me make some predictions (right out of my ass).

In 5 years no one knows what is going to happen.

In 5 years Blackberry will be a fruit.

This guy will be on the dole in 5 years.
post #73 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Imagine crap? What the hell are you talking about?

 

The galaxy note loses to the iPhone on every single metric and still is better for playing games, internet, reading, watching videos, etc just because it is a decent 5" phone, even if too expensive for what it is.

 

Put a 5" on an iPhone, change the design so it isn't the same thing just proportionally bigger, make apps for it, give it the right things and you have the better product ever created on the history of electronics.

 

Don't be a fool and do not be ignorant.

 

5" is way too small for many.  Hell, even 7" is pushing it.  Really the minimum size for a tablet is the iPadmini.  Any smaller and you have huge tradeoffs for the portability.

post #74 of 100
Tablets will disappear when something substantially better, that replaces them, comes along. Just like tablets replaced netbooks, something else could replace tablets. Whether that will happen in five years (or ever) is anyone's guess. I can't imagine what would replace tablets at this point; then again, I couldn't imagine that tablets would have replaced netbooks.

It would be easy to guess something like Google Glasses would have a shot. However, Glasses aren't particularly good for media consumption (which is the primary use for tablets) -- it wouldn't be much fun to watch a movie superimposed on the real world, for example, but something might come along, who knows?

Maybe Blackberry has something up their sleeves? OTOH, they've never really produced anything that disrupted the consumer space so it's hard to imagine they have a bead on something right now. Then again, I'm sure people said the same thing about Apple before the iPod came along...
post #75 of 100
Thorsten Heins should take his pocket protector and go back to the consulting world where his style of thinking is prevalent. Nobody in technology takes this guy seriously for obvious reasons. He won't be at a tech firm in 5 years and BB may not be around either but tablets will - better than ever.
post #76 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

Maybe Blackberry has something up their sleeves? OTOH, they've never really produced anything that disrupted the consumer space so it's hard to imagine they have a bead on something right now. Then again, I'm sure people said the same thing about Apple before the iPod came along...

 

Guess we should never say never.

 

BB could beat everyone by delivering something revolutionary. But it's not very likely, considering how they predicted iPhone's demise and their PlayBook's success.

post #77 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

 

5" is way too small for many.  Hell, even 7" is pushing it.  Really the minimum size for a tablet is the iPadmini.  Any smaller and you have huge tradeoffs for the portability.

Yes, but at the moment many have an iPhone, an iPad and a laptop. the argument would be that the 5" phone would be a better device coupled with an iPad. Loose the laptop. Its not a one size fits all, but it makes sense.

post #78 of 100
I have the Sonhy Google TV, and there is nothing more frustrating than typing on the little remote for a TV across the room. If Blackberry is expecting to use their handset as a dumb remote for the TV and thinking that form factor can beat out a tablet with some sort of Airplay connection, they are headed even further down the path of irrelevance.
post #79 of 100

This looks copycat to the press notes of 2007 of the same Blackberry execs, that time regarding iPhone. Perhaps they are looking the stock charts downside-up since then.

Anyway, I guess he is not counting the Gulliver-like clients Samsung must be thinking on, as they phone-allowed their 7" tablet...

post #80 of 100

This guy must be blurry-eyed, color-blind, and directionally-challenged, because he just called a spade a heart.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • BlackBerry CEO predicts tablet market will diminish within five years
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › BlackBerry CEO predicts tablet market will diminish within five years