or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung celebrity tweets out support for Galaxy S4 from his iPhone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung celebrity tweets out support for Galaxy S4 from his iPhone

post #1 of 101
Thread Starter 
Spanish tennis player David Ferrer sent a tweet out to his more than 350,000 followers noting his pleasure with using Samsung's new Galaxy S4, but accidentally sent the message from his iPhone.

Samsung ad sent from iPhone


Samsung is a sponsor of the Mutua Madrid Open tennis tournament that begins this weekend. Ferrer intended to send out a tweet stating he was very happy with his #GalaxyS4 and that he was "configuring S Health on my new #GalaxyS4 to help with training @SamsungMobile."

He neglected to notice that the advertisement was being labeled as "via Twitter from iPhone" because he actually uses an iPhone.

Before scrambling to take it down, the message was noted by Jaime Novoa and picked up by the Spanish edition of the Huffington Post.

After reposting the message without the telltale iPhone reference, his tweet was heckled by couple followers, one who wrote "Pues bien que lo env?as desde un iPhone @SamsungMobile" ("I send from an iPhone"). Another made reference to his "iPhoneGalaxy4."

This all happened before



The Huffington Post report noted a similarity with Blackberry's new spokesperson Alicia Keys, who after getting on stage with the company's chief executive Thorsten Heins to recount a story of how she had figuratively broken up with another phone for her new "exclusive" relationship with Blackberry, returned to posting tweets from her iPhone.

A similar effort by the Chinese government owned CCT to spread anti-Apple outrage via social media was blunted when many of the celebrities posted their ghostwritten responses with conspicuous credit given to Apple's iPhone and iPad as the device used to send the messages.

Post around 820


One of the celebrities involved, Peter Ho, even accidentally included a reference to the time of day the group was instructed to post their phony concerns. Once discovered, Ho scrambled to delete the posts and made up stories about his phone being stolen and his account being hacked.

Lots of money, ineffectively spent



Samsung has spend big money on advertising, hoping to position its Galaxy devices as a premium brand. Last year, the company outspent Apple with a greater than $400 million ad budget.

Last fall, however, an internal study of Samsung's big new push in advertising indicated that half of the Super Bowl audience watching the company's expensive ads for its Galaxy Tab thought they were seeing an iPad ad. The report was presented by Apple as evidence against Samsung's copying of its design and marketing.

"Only 11 percent of customers are aware of and can link the Galaxy Tab back to Samsung, while 65% of consumers are aware and can link the iPad back to Apple," the report stated.

The company's internal study noted that primary reason consumers were reporting for why they weren't considering the Galaxy Tab was "lack of awareness of the product," and noted that "TV advertising has had minimal impact primarily because of misattribution."
post #2 of 101
LOL
post #3 of 101
This happens so often it almost seems like a meme.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #4 of 101
How come we don't see any -> The iPhone is amazing and I'm using this cool iPhone app to type this message!

Sent from my Galaxy S4.
post #5 of 101

Embarrassing! :)

post #6 of 101

I expect the air waves will soon be bombarded with ads suggesting the iPhone is dated and only for total squares like my grandmother.

post #7 of 101

lol

 

You'd think by now that the advertising agencies in charge of paying celebrities to do this, would know to emphasize that it should be done from the desired phone!

 

Common technical knowledge fail.

post #8 of 101
Professional tennis player.
Amateur spammer.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #9 of 101
and this is newsworthy because . . . . ???
{2010 Mac Pro-6 core 3.33-12gb 1333 ram-ati5870-velociraptor 600's-SL/win7/64-Konnekt Live/Onkyo-Dell3007wfp}
{2008 Mac Pro-8 core 3.2's-16GB-evga285} {MBP17}{ipad}{iphone 4 blk16gb}
Reply
{2010 Mac Pro-6 core 3.33-12gb 1333 ram-ati5870-velociraptor 600's-SL/win7/64-Konnekt Live/Onkyo-Dell3007wfp}
{2008 Mac Pro-8 core 3.2's-16GB-evga285} {MBP17}{ipad}{iphone 4 blk16gb}
Reply
post #10 of 101

Well, as a long-time iPhone owner, looking at a friend's Samsung 4 last week (which he retrieved effortlessly from his pocket) reviewing some photographs, I found myself feeling quite envious of the screen size and quality of the pictures was jaw-dropping.

 

Just sayin'!!

post #11 of 101
"...accidentally sent the message from his iPhone."

It was no accident. 1biggrin.gif

Didn't Oprah also Tweet on her iPad that she "loved her Galaxy Tab"? LOL

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #12 of 101

No free Galaxy S4 for you.

post #13 of 101
Ah, our culture of being lied to. Samsung tries to invent the hype that they make the best product, but even the people they pay think otherwise. It's nice when the truth shines out a bit.
post #14 of 101

Either Samdung paid him money for the tweet or he is that yahoo message board type worm who keeps on bashing iphone! 
 

post #15 of 101
This article did not mention that samsung is in court after being found out to have paid many bloggers to post negative comments about its competition.

Hey if you cannot build a better product, just lie about it and pay thousands to lie about it too. And since samsung has NO REAL Customer Support to worry about paying, once people buy samdung, then they are stuck with it.

Just saying.
post #16 of 101
Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

Just payin'!!

 

Fixed.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #17 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

lol

You'd think by now that the advertising agencies in charge of paying celebrities to do this, would know to emphasize that it should be done from the desired phone!

Common technical knowledge fail.

Celebrities are pretty busy... and even with their assistant doing most of the menial tasks... changing phones can be a royal pain in the ass (especially for celebrities with sensitive data on their phones)

I'm guessing a celebrity gets $15,000 for just tweeting about a new product... but they aren't required to actually USE the product.

Oh they may have a Galaxy S4 in their possession (or their assistant) ... but the likelihood of the Galaxy S4 actually replacing their current phone may be slim.

So the new question is: if the Galaxy S4 isn't enough to make a celebrity change phones... why should you? 1biggrin.gif
post #18 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

"...accidentally sent the message from his iPhone."

It was no accident. 1biggrin.gif

Didn't Oprah also Tweet on her iPad that she "loved her Galaxy Tab"? LOL

And don't forget Blackberry's marketing spokesman Alicia Keys tweeting from her iPhone.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #19 of 101
Hey Samsung, if you pay me, I'll be happy to post good news about Samsung and bad news about Apple. Come on, what do you say? I will even do it from my Nexus 4.

#postaround820
post #20 of 101

I think what's going on is Samsung is doing a lot of sponsoring of various events, sports, music, etc. and when they do that, they pay these celebrities to support Samsung products, but in reality, many of them use an Apple product.  It's hilarious, but some people fall for it.

post #21 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Celebrities are pretty busy... and even with their assistant doing most of the menial tasks... changing phones can be a royal pain in the ass (especially for celebrities with sensitive data on their phones)

I'm guessing a celebrity gets $15,000 for just tweeting about a new product... but they aren't required to actually USE the product.

Oh they may have a Galaxy S4 in their possession (or their assistant) ... but the likelihood of the Galaxy S4 actually replacing their current phone may be slim.

So the new question is: if the Galaxy S4 isn't enough to make a celebrity change phones... why should you? 1biggrin.gif

I simply can't imagine this in anything other area of branding. Imagine if Michael Jordan would wear Reebok shoes and Puma caps in public because he preferred them over Nike's attire and footwear.

If it were my company and I paid for celebrity marketing I would make them sign a contract that explicitly had them use my products explicitly, especially when it came to such things as tweeting where the device and app are clearly registered. For all I know they have such contracts in place.

Your last sentence drives home the problem with this. In a single "oh shit" moment all the money these companies paid to celebrities to get their fans to buy their brand can be destroyed with the spoils going to the brand the celebrities prefer without the preferred brand having to pay a penny for the privilege.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #22 of 101

The difference between Samsung and Apple users:

 

Samsung pays people to lie about their products, unsuccessfully.

 

Apple users pay Apple for products and extoll their virtues for free.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #23 of 101
Quote:
"TV advertising has had minimal impact primarily because of misattribution."

I had to do a double take on the last word which I read as "masturbation" which in some ways could be more accurate.
post #24 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

"...accidentally sent the message from his iPhone."

It was no accident. 1biggrin.gif

Didn't Oprah also Tweet on her iPad that she "loved her Galaxy Tab"? LOL
No I believe she said she loved her Microsoft Surface.
post #25 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgman View Post

and this is newsworthy because . . . . ???

...because it's funny. 

post #26 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

(which he retrieved effortlessly from his pocket)

 

Well, that's good to know... it takes me at least 45 minutes to get my iPhone from out of my pocket. And they say the GS4 is a mere evolution. Clearly they have Pocket Universe technology™!

It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything.

Tyler Durden | Fight Club
Reply
It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything.

Tyler Durden | Fight Club
Reply
post #27 of 101

I understand that marketing is all about presenting an image to the public.  Nonetheless, when companies (like Samsung) are essentially paying people to literally lie about what they do or use, it's just plain wrong.  I'm not referring to "actors" portraying other people.  This is about a non-fictional person representing himself lying to people.  Wrong.

 

post #28 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

Well, as a long-time iPhone owner, looking at a friend's Samsung 4 last week (which he retrieved effortlessly from his pocket) reviewing some photographs, I found myself feeling quite envious of the screen size and quality of the pictures was jaw-dropping.

 

Just sayin'!!

Don't lie...you have no friend with an S4. In fact, I doubt you have a friend...?

 

Just Sayin!

post #29 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I simply can't imagine this in anything other area of branding. Imagine if Michael Jordan would wear Reebok shoes and Puma caps in public because he preferred them over Nike's attire and footwear.

If it were my company and I paid for celebrity marketing I would make them sign a contract that explicitly had them use my products explicitly, especially when it came to such things as tweeting where the device and app are clearly registered. For all I know they have such contracts in place.

Your last sentence drives home the problem with this. In a single "oh shit" moment all the money these companies paid to celebrities to get their fans to buy their brand can be destroyed with the spoils going to the brand the celebrities prefer without the preferred brand having to pay a penny for the privilege.

Good points.

I wonder how deep it goes. Do they just ask celebrities... "hey can you tweet about this?"

Or do companies have a formal sit-down and say "we're gonna give you a lot of money... but you cannot use your iPhone anymore..."

That's a hard sell. I wonder how many celebrities would agree to it. Apparently it's not very formal... considering how many examples there are of celebrities using the wrong device when they're supposed to be promoting another.

Also... I'm guessing the high-dollar celebrity endorsements (Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods) have specific contract requirements. Tiger Woods had to drive to every golf tournament in a Buick... even though he probably owns a garage full of exotics. I think that deal was worth $10 million... just to drive a car a few miles every weekend.

However... I don't think Samsung is paying quite that much... and clearly they aren't enforcing it! 1smile.gif
post #30 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

Well, as a long-time iPhone owner, looking at a friend's Samsung 4 last week (which he retrieved effortlessly from his pocket) reviewing some photographs, I found myself feeling quite envious of the screen size and quality of the pictures was jaw-dropping.

 

Just sayin'!!


I have to agree with you, I was looking to replace my work mobile, which I was using Bold 9800 and since I already had a iPhone for home, I  was looking at another brand. I looked seriously at the Samsung S4 and read the CNET review, pretty powerful stuff, but my concern was  it was too geared to the consumer and not business user. In the end I bought Blackberry Z10 and very happy with phone for business use. I would never buy Windows Phone against my DNA.

post #31 of 101

Why I am not surprised!

post #32 of 101

This is shocking.

 

Celebrities get paid to endorse products they don't actually use?

 

Shocking!

post #33 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

lol

 

You'd think by now that the advertising agencies in charge of paying celebrities to do this, would know to emphasize that it should be done from the desired phone!

 

Common technical knowledge fail.

Samsung just screwed this up, not Ferrer. How do they expect a tennis star to know anything about astroturfing? In Spain they play tennis on clay.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #34 of 101

The great thing about Apple is cream rises to the top

 

Unfortunately with Samturd so does excrement!

post #35 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgman View Post

and this is newsworthy because . . . . ???

A famous athlete had his iPhone stolen and his Twitter account was hacked!


Edited by Applelunatic - 4/30/13 at 1:50pm
post #36 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgman View Post

and this is newsworthy because . . . . ???

...because it's funny. 

.... and sad at the same time.

 

Priceless.

post #37 of 101
Samsung S4 rocks!!! <3 $$

sent from my iPhone
post #38 of 101
Originally Posted by marsk View Post
$₳m$u₦₲ $4 ₹o₵₭$!!!
¢ ₣om m¥ i₱ho₦€ 

 

1wink.gif

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #39 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post

This is shocking.

 

Celebrities get paid to endorse products they don't actually use?

 

Shocking!

I doubt anyone thinks its shocking. It's just good fun at Samdung's expense.

post #40 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I understand that marketing is all about presenting an image to the public.  Nonetheless, when companies (like Samsung) are essentially paying people to literally lie about what they do or use, it's just plain wrong.  I'm not referring to "actors" portraying other people.  This is about a non-fictional person representing himself lying to people.  Wrong.

It seems more wrong in cases like this, because tweets are supposed to be real pieces of communication. Celebrities lying on Twitter seems like pollution. But celebrities lying about what products they use in advertising is at least as old as I am, which is pretty old.

Twitter isn't supposed to be advertising. Another instance of Samsung having neither soul nor ethics. Or class.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung celebrity tweets out support for Galaxy S4 from his iPhone