or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung celebrity tweets out support for Galaxy S4 from his iPhone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung celebrity tweets out support for Galaxy S4 from his iPhone - Page 2

post #41 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Twitter isn't supposed to be advertising.

Twitter is a highly versatile and fast medium which in no small part includes marketing.



edit: major typo.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #42 of 101

Edit: Stupid user not paying careful attention to new the new forum.

Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
post #43 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by websnap View Post

 

Well, that's good to know... it takes me at least 45 minutes to get my iPhone from out of my pocket. And they say the GS4 is a mere evolution. Clearly they have Pocket Universe technology™!

Yeah, but they stole that idea from Doctor Who.

Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
post #44 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


I simply can't imagine this in anything other area of branding. Imagine if Michael Jordan would wear Reebok shoes and Puma caps in public because he preferred them over Nike's attire and footwear.

If it were my company and I paid for celebrity marketing I would make them sign a contract that explicitly had them use my products explicitly, especially when it came to such things as tweeting where the device and app are clearly registered. For all I know they have such contracts in place.

Your last sentence drives home the problem with this. In a single "oh shit" moment all the money these companies paid to celebrities to get their fans to buy their brand can be destroyed with the spoils going to the brand the celebrities prefer without the preferred brand having to pay a penny for the privilege.

I remember tennis players being outed for having disguised rackets in the past. I understand why people can't say no to promoting another brand than what they use themselves for vast sums of money, but it doesn't sit right with me. Maybe I am old fashioned but I feel that to promote the 'competition' somehow undermines your integrity. The gear is so much a part of an athlete's 'image'. But I also realize how naive that is and that these days it makes no difference whether someone uses Nike or Adidas, it's just another corporate brand. But I am sure any celeb selling a particular brand needs to sign some sort of agreement to the effect that they can not promote another brand. Using an iPhone is probably not considered promotion, but tweeting with a tag line definitely is, I'd say.

post #45 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

lol

You'd think by now that the advertising agencies in charge of paying celebrities to do this, would know to emphasize that it should be done from the desired phone!

Common technical knowledge fail.

You do realize that is 100% Samsung's responsibility? These advertising companies do not simply work in a vacume.
post #46 of 101
I love my Samsung.

Posted using my 14inch dick.
post #47 of 101
Love this faux love affair PAID endorsers by Samsung have of Samsung's products. I'm not bilingual, but how do you laugh in Spanish???
/
/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #48 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I understand that marketing is all about presenting an image to the public.  Nonetheless, when companies (like Samsung) are essentially paying people to literally lie about what they do or use, it's just plain wrong.  I'm not referring to "actors" portraying other people.  This is about a non-fictional person representing himself lying to people.  Wrong.

 

Oh man, well, welcome to the world - this is old hat, ooollllllddddd haaatttt - prostitution, the oldest profession...

post #49 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Love this faux love affair PAID endorsers by Samsung have of Samsung's products. I'm not bilingual, but how do you laugh in Spanish???
/
/

¡Jajajajajajaja!

post #50 of 101
Actually, I love it how Samsung spends millions of dollars more to give Apple free advertising. A big thanks to Samsung from all of us Apple fanboys
post #51 of 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post


It seems more wrong in cases like this, because tweets are supposed to be real pieces of communication. Celebrities lying on Twitter seems like pollution. But celebrities lying about what products they use in advertising is at least as old as I am, which is pretty old.

Twitter isn't supposed to be advertising. Another instance of Samsung having neither soul nor ethics. Or class.

But you are not that naive. There is a whole sector within the marketing / advertising industry dedicated to social media, very much including twitter. I wonder if it will be the end of twitter eventually. And Facebook. Advertising sneaking in to every part of life is depressing and off-putting. As a producer of any type of product you must sell your said product, of course. You must tell people what you have and why they should buy it. We all do that virtually all day every day, whether its a physical product or an idea. That is really all advertising is. But when it is intrusive (TV commercials), or dishonest, as in this case, it is as you say, pollution.

post #52 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgman View Post

and this is newsworthy because . . . . ???

You have to admit that people actually paid to use Samsung phones still prefer iPhones. It is news because it is another set of points showing massive astro-turfing on twitter, FB and news groups done by Samsung.
post #53 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post


You have to admit that people actually paid to use Samsung phones still prefer iPhones. It is news because it is another set of points showing massive astro-turfing on twitter, FB and news groups done by Samsung.

 

 

You can't copy quality. 

 

The truth always comes out in the wash. 

post #54 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstopdesign View Post

Oh man, well, welcome to the world - this is old hat, ooollllllddddd haaatttt - prostitution, the oldest profession...

The difference is that the client usually actively seeks 'the merchandise' out. If you go into a Best Buy you may not mind watching an ad for a TV on a Monitor. You are potentially there to buy. But if you are follower of an actor (say what you will about the celebrity trade), you don't expect the celebrity to be a sales person in disguise.

post #55 of 101
I am not sure why people even follow these people, anyone who believes that most of these Celb actually spend a sec making comment to their so called fans are living in another world. What most likely happen was some handler of the guy using an iphone does his tweet for him, wrote the statement not realizing (because they are stupid idiots working for a celb) the iphone reference would show up.

The Celb hire idiot who are willing to work for almost nothing just so that can say they work for a Celb and they screw up more things they they actually help with. I bet the idiot who did this got fired today too.
post #56 of 101

Another Samsung shill who has immediately admitted to it.

 

Samsung give their phones away to famous people yet the famous people still use the phone they bought from Apple.

post #57 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunabku View Post

How come we don't see any -> The iPhone is amazing and I'm using this cool iPhone app to type this message!

Sent from my Galaxy S4.

 

On the one hand, the whole fiasco in the OP is hilarious and Samsung deserves the mockery.

 

On the other hand, at least one reason we don't see the reverse is that Samsung products don't come with a dorky "sent from my (whatever)" message*. Personally I prefer not to advertise for the companies I favor, and the first thing I did on my iPad was remove the automatic signature. 

 

* Or at least my Galaxy Nexus did not, but "pure" Samsung products may be different.

post #58 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

On the one hand, the whole fiasco in the OP is hilarious and Samsung deserves the mockery.

On the other hand, at least one reason we don't see the reverse is that Samsung products don't come with a dorky "sent from my (whatever)" message*. Personally I prefer not to advertise for the companies I favor, and the first thing I did on my iPad was remove the automatic signature. 

* Or at least my Galaxy Nexus did not, but "pure" Samsung products may be different.

You're talking about two different things. Twitter records the device and Twitter client that the message was sent from. That is the not the same thing as the default signature found in the email of several device vendors. Additionally, the via for Twitter's official iPhone client as well as their web client no longer contain the via tag.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #59 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

You do realize that is 100% Samsung's responsibility? These advertising companies do not simply work in a vacume.

 

Oh, no doubt someone at Samsung ordered an agency to, "Find some celebrities to endorse the phone."  At that point, it's the ad agency's job to follow through and make sure the endorsement doesn't turn into an embarrassment.

 

--

 

The whole celebrity ad thing is weird anyway.  For example, watching Zooey Deschanel dancing around the house when it rains did not make me want to buy an iPhone. 

 

On the other hand, listening to Martin Scorsese, Samuel Jackson, and John Malkovich talk to Siri, did make me wish I that was temporarily deaf.

post #60 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgman View Post

and this is newsworthy because . . . . ???

 

1.  Because it shows that the Samsung PR people are dumb fucks. 

2.  Because its further evidence that much of the crap put out by the analysts, bloggers, and celebrities of the world is bought and paid for. 

3.  Because it's freaking hilarious. 

post #61 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

Well, as a long-time iPhone owner, looking at a friend's Samsung 4 last week (which he retrieved effortlessly from his pocket) reviewing some photographs, I found myself feeling quite envious of the screen size and quality of the pictures was jaw-dropping.

Just sayin'!!

Engineering is about balance. Currently, Apple doesn't think the hit to color accuracy and battery life is worth enlarging the screen. That doesn't mean it will not happen. There have been people qualified to say that Apple likely will eventually bring a 4.87 inch screen to market. The problem with the Galaxy in terms of sticking it in your pocket has more to do with flexing of the phone when one sits down or kneels. The fabric as it stretches against ones knees asserts pressure on the phone. Apple's old plastic iBooks suffered a similar problem where the logic board flexed when the iBook was used in ones lap thereby casing the logic chip to separate from the board. Apples switch to better materials solved the problem.

The Galaxy 4 is also thicker (necessary for the bigger battery), more complicated to use, and made of cheaper materials. If I were going to go Android, which I wouldn't, I'd try the HTC One. At least the materials are first rate.
post #62 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

If I were going to go Android, which I wouldn't, I'd try the HTC One. At least the materials are first rate.

It feels great. As good as you'd expect. I wouldn't say it has a fit and finish as good as the iPhone 5 which in comparison is like jewelry, but it's still brilliant.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #63 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgman View Post

and this is newsworthy because . . . . ???

 

Because it's funny?  I know it made me laugh. 

post #64 of 101

Obviously this explains the additional $400 Million Samsung spend in advertising - They used all the money to buy off sponsors, who are not loyal customers! At end of they day they all prefer Apple iPhone! 

 

Send from MacBook running Windows 8 using Samsung Display!

post #65 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

Well, as a long-time iPhone owner, looking at a friend's Samsung 4 last week (which he retrieved effortlessly from his pocket) reviewing some photographs, I found myself feeling quite envious of the screen size and quality of the pictures was jaw-dropping.

 

Just sayin'!!

 

until you see the S4 back plastic casing which is nasty 1wink.gif

post #66 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Love this faux love affair PAID endorsers by Samsung have of Samsung's products. I'm not bilingual, but how do you laugh in Spanish???
/
/

jeje

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #67 of 101

This is just another case that proves that if you need a phone to get things done with out a head ache, its iPhone!

post #68 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post


No I believe she said she loved her Microsoft Surface.

 

I believe you are correct.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #69 of 101
I don't know what's dumber, this guy or hiring a Spanish tennis player that isn't Rafael Nadal.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #70 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

But you are not that naive. There is a whole sector within the marketing / advertising industry dedicated to social media . . .

Yeah, I am that naive, since I don"t do Twitter or Facebook.

Of course you're right, a social network immediately gets parasitized.. But I was thinking in ideal terms, where it should not be parasitized. Other kinds of advertising are just paid-for ad space, not parasitism.

So I guess I would say that Twitter astroturfing is a very low-class form of advertising, if not an unethical form, when it involves fakery like in this case. I hope Apple would never stoop to this level, and doubt they would.
post #71 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I think what's going on is Samsung is doing a lot of sponsoring of various events, sports, music, etc. and when they do that, they pay these celebrities to support Samsung products, but in reality, many of them use an Apple product.  It's hilarious, but some people fall for it.
It's the same in the UK. The Ideal World shopping channel sells thousands of cheap Android tablets but all the presenters say they can't believe what good value their these tablets are compared with their own tablets which they paid hundreds of pounds for and do not take sd cards. It does not take a genius to work out what tablets they are referring to.
post #72 of 101

A Spanish news site also noted that this kind of unattributed astroturfing is illegal in Spain. All advertising must be clearly labeled as such. So Samsung is not only unethical, but criminal as well.

post #73 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

 

On the one hand, the whole fiasco in the OP is hilarious and Samsung deserves the mockery.

 

On the other hand, at least one reason we don't see the reverse is that Samsung products don't come with a dorky "sent from my (whatever)" message*. Personally I prefer not to advertise for the companies I favor, and the first thing I did on my iPad was remove the automatic signature. 

 

* Or at least my Galaxy Nexus did not, but "pure" Samsung products may be different.

Those "sent from my [phone]" thing is done by the apps themselves not the operating system (excluding the email thing as mentioned by someone else).  Tapatalk, for example, does it on all OSes. I see plenty of "Sent from my HTC One", etc. when people are using Tapatalk don't turn that off.

post #74 of 101
Lol.... Samsung.. The lowest life company out there!
post #75 of 101
hey, come on! Just because they pay David Ferrer to use a Sammy 4 and he prefers using an iPhone that doesn't mean that... oh wait, actually it does.

I hope Samsung makes him refund the money they paid him, because they just spent every cent of it to promote iPhone.
post #76 of 101
When even celebrities you're paying up the ass to promote and use your product don't even bother doing so, maybe you have a not so great product. What's funny and telling is that this has happened many times with many products in the past- and it's ALWAYS tweeted using an iOS device, whether it's tweeting how amazing BBM10 is using an iPhone, or how incredible the Galaxy Tab is using an iPad.
post #77 of 101
You'd think Samsung would at least give him a phone to use, and show him how to use it. Maybe he gave it away to his poorer relatives.
post #78 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


And don't forget Blackberry's marketing spokesman Alicia Keys tweeting from her iPhone.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post


No I believe she said she loved her Microsoft Surface.

Also, not publicized, but I noticed this image on No Doubt's instagram feed.

 

http://instagram.com/p/XVZoXQxpEE/

 

Gwen, the Windows Phone spokeswoman...

 

Granted, that could be Tony's iPhone 4/4S there, but they are both on MacBook Pros, so Apple fans, both.

post #79 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

You'd think Samsung would at least give him a phone to use, and show him how to use it.

And you'd think Samsung would show him how to configure his Twitter account on Android too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Maybe he gave it away to his poorer relatives.

Gave what away? His old iPhone? Or the Galaxy S4?

That tweet came from an iPhone... which is the whole point of this story.

He typed that specific tweet... but he did it on the wrong phone.
post #80 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


Didn't Oprah also Tweet on her iPad that she "loved her Galaxy Tab"? LOL

It was for the Microsoft Surface.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung celebrity tweets out support for Galaxy S4 from his iPhone