or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 5 bests Samsung's Galaxy S4 in smartphone torture test
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone 5 bests Samsung's Galaxy S4 in smartphone torture test - Page 2

post #41 of 80

i got into an argument at work one day, went into my office and chucked my iphone 5 at the wall out of anger. the phone hit the wall with its side. now there is a dent in my wall that's about an inch deep.

 

the phone still works, no cracks, just a scratch on the back. that probably happened when the phone hit my desk on the way down after hitting the wall.

post #42 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomonshv View Post

i got into an argument at work one day, went into my office and chucked my iphone 5 at the wall out of anger. the phone hit the wall with its side. now there is a dent in my wall that's about an inch deep.

 

the phone still works, no cracks, just a scratch on the back. that probably happened when the phone hit my desk on the way down after hitting the wall.

Hey, we work in the same office, dude!

 

 

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

post #43 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Peeps,

 

This was obvious that iPhone would score better than the S3 or S4 due to the quality of materials used to build each phone. My concern is why iPhone does not have a better score versus the Samsungs especially with premium price charged by Apple.

I am concerned as someone mentioned the actually scoring system, since individual scores do not equate to overall assessment. AS apple supporter, I will not gloat over these results, but wonder  why the iPhone test score is so close to Samsung phone made of plastic.

 

Soul
 


 iPhone 5: $649 unlocked, Galaxy S4 unlocked: $800. How is Apple charging a premium price here?

42 = 54 base 13
Reply
42 = 54 base 13
Reply
post #44 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb123 View Post

This is a durability test.

 

 

The previous two destruction test videos from these guys, simple corner drops, falling from the roof of a moving car, etc. didn't cause any problem for this phone. Phones for men need to be built to these kind of durability standards, not just protection from a close encounter with a cheer leader's pom-pom. Almost everyone I know with a 4/4s/5 has smashed the glass on their phone and needed a replacement. Thankfully, Apple have great customer service.

 

You can hate the Lumia design, the operating system, the manufacturer, the lack of a million apps, whatever, but you cannot fault the build quality and durability of these phones.

 

I have an iPhone 3G coming up to five years old, a 4 almost 3 years old and a 5 almost a year old, they have had as many smashed screens as I have pom-poms (i.e. none).

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #45 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


The "premium" price isn't for added durability. This isn't a Panasonic ToughPhone. That would be like saying the durability of the iPhone went down when Apple lowered the price in India last month.


Apple always promote the build quality of the iPhone and not sure why you used India has example, since the price was too high anyway and has nothing to do with iPhone quality, but reduction in margins to increase sales volumes and more exposure in India, since Samsung S4 was being launched.

 

Lets stop putting blinkers (with concern to Apple) on and be honest in our assessments and opinions.


Edited by souliisoul - 5/1/13 at 3:06am
post #46 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

 

Have you priced a Galaxy S4 or Note 2 lately?

 

They cost more than a 16GB iPhone 5.

 

I don't know where you get the "premium price" from.

 

I expect the Galaxy S3 price to drop as the channel needs to clear excess inventory.


Hill60,

 

Sorry  but I do not live in USA and the price of Samsung S4 in India is similar or lower in some shops than the iPhone 5 16GB and for the price of iPhone 5 16GB, you can buy 2 Samsung S3 in India.


Edited by souliisoul - 5/1/13 at 3:06am
post #47 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinzel View Post


 iPhone 5: $649 unlocked, Galaxy S4 unlocked: $800. How is Apple charging a premium price here?


In USA, why don't you check India prices. I suggest every one look at my location and stop think that I refer to USA.


Edited by souliisoul - 5/1/13 at 3:07am
post #48 of 80
Wow!!
I can watch a video about the worst smartphone then win it? Go **** yourselves!
Stick the S4 up your collective asses retards. You should update your resumes. **** this site sucks! Moderate my truth!
post #49 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Don't worry. The Android fanboy story-spinners that infest this forum will magically interpret this article as being an Apple-financed experiment.

 

It appears you were right on the mark with your prediction. That Android fanboys infest Apple forums isn't news. What's interesting to me is how they switch hardware loyalties at the drop of the hat. Whichever OEM seems to be competing better with Apple at a given moment in time is their new favorite. Right now it's Samsung. It used to be Motorola, then HTC, then Nokia. Lately they've been starting to tout HTC again on hopes the HTC One will succeed. Bottom line, it's always about Apple, which is why they're here in the first place.

post #50 of 80
"Torture test" bought a smile to my face.

On a serious note not surprised, Apple make quality products.

G5 2GHZ Power Mac, iPod Shuffle (1st Gen),iPod Nano (2nd Gen),iPod (5th Gen), Apple TV, Apple TV 2G x2, iPad 2,iPhone 4S, rMBP 15" 2.6

Reply

G5 2GHZ Power Mac, iPod Shuffle (1st Gen),iPod Nano (2nd Gen),iPod (5th Gen), Apple TV, Apple TV 2G x2, iPad 2,iPhone 4S, rMBP 15" 2.6

Reply
post #51 of 80
No surprise shite phones from a shite company. Oh and good luck getting some after sales service.
post #52 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb123 View Post

Phones for men need to be built to these kind of durability standards, not just protection from a close encounter with a cheer leader's pom-pom. Almost everyone I know with a 4/4s/5 has smashed the glass on their phone and needed a replacement. Thankfully, Apple have great customer service.

 

That is the stupidest shit I have heard all day... and I've been up for a while. Phones for men? A Phone for a man gets dialled with a penis I guess, but they shouldn't need to get built any tougher than for women. I've had my iPhone 4 since launch day and I NEVER use a case I have dropped it in concrete at least 3 or 4 times and on my hardwood floors more time than I care to remember. I have never had a crack show up. Not once. Niether has my wife's, which I bought on the same day. That's all a bunch of crap.

It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything.

Tyler Durden | Fight Club
Reply
It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything.

Tyler Durden | Fight Club
Reply
post #53 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

 

 

I was wondering the same thing. Also, what does size and weight have to do with if its breakable? Does something break easier because it is bigger or weighs more? 

 

The iPhone received 4 more smiles than the S3 and is only a score of 1.5 lower? Lets see. The S4 has one more smile than the S3 and is .5 higher (which is odd). So the iPhone, having 4 more smiles than the S3 should be 2 points lower at 4.5. 

 

Unless as you stated some factors are rated differently than others. 

Objects that weigh more will fall faster; therefore causing more damage to the device itself.

post #54 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post


Hill60,

 

Sorry  but I do not live in USA and the price of Samsung S4 in India is similar or lower in some shops than the iPhone 5 16GB and for the price of iPhone 5 16GB, you can buy 2 Samsung S3 in India.

 

I don't live in the USA either and the price of the Note 2 and Galaxy S4 are higher than the iPhone 5.

 

Australian prices.

 

As I said earlier, the S3 price has dropped substantially as overstuffed channels need to be cleared.


Edited by hill60 - 5/1/13 at 7:31am
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #55 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puevlo View Post

Objects that weigh more will fall faster; therefore causing more damage to the device itself.

That is scientifically not true.  Weight has no bearing on the rate at which an object falls.  One could argue that outside of a vacuum if two objects weighed the same on one was substantially larger that wind resistance could play a small factor into rate of acceleration; however, weight in and of itself has absolutely no influence on how fast an object falls.

post #56 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

All of them rate poor on "size"?

And what's a phone that rates "low" risk?

What number of people use a case?

20% of Americans will buy this specific Samsung?

The questions keep piling up for me...

 

This kind of "testing" is on the same level as a Grade 5 science project.  Some of the categories seem made up and the whole thing is amateur night for sure.  

 

I too wondered why "size" is a "breakability factor" and why "weight" is included, then ignored in the results, when the phones are not all the same weight.  Are these factors or are they not?  Was there a lack of communication between the testers and the person who drew the infographic?  Does anyone care?  

post #57 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by websnap View Post

 

I've had my iPhone 4 since launch day and I NEVER use a case I have dropped it in concrete at least 3 or 4 times and on my hardwood floors more time than I care to remember. I have never had a crack show up. Not once. Niether has my wife's, which I bought on the same day. That's all a bunch of crap.

 

And my iPhone 4S slipped out of my coat pocket and fell about 3 feet onto concrete. Both the front and back glass were cracked. I'm sure if you look you can find someone that ran over their iPhone with a car and didn't have a scratch. I'm also sure you can find someone else who dropped theirs three inches and ended up with a cracked screen.

 

Personal anecdotes don't say anything about the real durability of a phone.

post #58 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puevlo View Post

Objects that weigh more will fall faster; therefore causing more damage to the device itself.

"fall faster"?

 

Well, no, they won't.

 

Google Newton.

post #59 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

 

I don't live in the USA either and the price of the Note 2 and Galaxy S4 are higher than the iPhone 5.

 

Australian prices.

 

As I said earlier, the S3 price has dropped substantially as overstuffed channels need to be cleared.

 

So is the price of the iPhone5 cheaper in Australia because of overstuff channels there too?

post #60 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomonshv View Post

i got into an argument at work one day, went into my office and chucked my iphone 5 at the wall out of anger. the phone hit the wall with its side. now there is a dent in my wall that's about an inch deep.

the phone still works, no cracks, just a scratch on the back. that probably happened when the phone hit my desk on the way down after hitting the wall.

Interesting use case for a durability scenario 1smile.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #61 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

"fall faster"?

Well, no, they won't.

Google Newton.

Suddenly.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #62 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Don't worry. The Android fanboy story-spinners that infest this forum will magically interpret this article as being an Apple-financed experiment.

It has become common knowledge that many of the Samsung fans online are paid by Samsung. Samsung even admits it !

http://www.techspot.com/news/52274-samsung-admits-to-posting-fake-user-reviews-on-the-web.html

post #63 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

 

And my iPhone 4S slipped out of my coat pocket and fell about 3 feet onto concrete. Both the front and back glass were cracked. I'm sure if you look you can find someone that ran over their iPhone with a car and didn't have a scratch. I'm also sure you can find someone else who dropped theirs three inches and ended up with a cracked screen.

 

Personal anecdotes don't say anything about the real durability of a phone.

 

While I can agree with you on that last line, I used my "personal anecdote" to refute andrewb123 when he suggested 

 

 

Quote:
Almost everyone I know with a 4/4s/5 has smashed the glass on their phone and needed a replacement.


That anecdote was ok for you though, right, or was what I talked about not allowed? This last year, specifically, I have been doing a lot of renos in and outside my house and have dropped it quite a few time (all without a case) and I'm just saying I have had nothing but the odd scratch/scuff on the corner. But, hey, thanks for saying my personal opinion doesn't matter, neither does calling out someone who is obviously exaggerating.

It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything.

Tyler Durden | Fight Club
Reply
It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything.

Tyler Durden | Fight Club
Reply
post #64 of 80
Originally Posted by Puevlo View Post
Objects that weigh more will fall faster; therefore causing more damage to the device itself.

 

Not since 1589, they haven't.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #65 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puevlo View Post

Objects that weigh more will fall faster; therefore causing more damage to the device itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndirishfan1975 View Post

That is scientifically not true.  Weight has no bearing on the rate at which an object falls.  One could argue that outside of a vacuum if two objects weighed the same on one was substantially larger that wind resistance could play a small factor into rate of acceleration; however, weight in and of itself has absolutely no influence on how fast an object falls.

Actually, the statement is true.

IN A VACUUM, items of different weights fall at the same speed. In the atmosphere (where most people will be using their phones), you have to factor in air resistance. If two items are exactly the same size but have different weights, the heavier one will fall faster. OTOH, if they are different sizes but the same weight, the smaller one will fall faster.

The S4 is both larger and heavier. The two factors will counter each other to some extent, so it's impossible to say if it will fall faster or slower without doing the math (which also requires knowledge of the orientation when it falls). So the original statement was incorrect (because it didn't factor in size), but your statement that weight doesn't affect falling speeds is also wrong.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #66 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Probably because that's easier to understand. It might have been stated more precisely by writing that 'all phones from company X, Y and Z' which would include models with a different OS, but then people would need to think about what's written where it now is instantly understood by anyone when putting everything under the Android nomenclature.

Of course, you were being rhetorical, and I therefore can only assume you're splitting hairs simply because you found an opening in someone's post. I usually can understand why people do what they do, even though I disagree or think it's silly. Still, I wonder why you do that.

Because software plays no relevance in a hardware durability test, simple fact, the S4 could be running any OS, it won't change the score it got because of that, in the same respect the iPhone could be running android and its score wouldn't magically decrease
post #67 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post



Actually, the statement is true.

IN A VACUUM, items of different weights fall at the same speed. In the atmosphere (where most people will be using their phones), you have to factor in air resistance. If two items are exactly the same size but have different weights, the heavier one will fall faster. OTOH, if they are different sizes but the same weight, the smaller one will fall faster.

The S4 is both larger and heavier. The two factors will counter each other to some extent, so it's impossible to say if it will fall faster or slower without doing the math (which also requires knowledge of the orientation when it falls). So the original statement was incorrect (because it didn't factor in size), but your statement that weight doesn't affect falling speeds is also wrong.

 

It's actually the same Surface Area that impacts Drag Force Resistance. Two objects can have the same size [Volume] but different Surface Area.

post #68 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

 

So is the price of the iPhone5 cheaper in Australia because of overstuff channels there too?

 

No, they are lower because the site is a grey market importer who undercuts the Australian recommended retail price, also the iPhone 5 is not less than half of the RRP like the S3.

 

The RRP is iPhone 5 $A799, Galaxy S4 $A849, S3 $749 and Galaxy Note 2 $A879.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #69 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Because software plays no relevance in a hardware durability test, simple fact, the S4 could be running any OS, it won't change the score it got because of that, in the same respect the iPhone could be running android and its score wouldn't magically decrease

I honestly have no idea how you can't understand that if a device comes with Android that it's not from Apple. The Android comment didn't imply that running Android makes HW less durable, it simply a general statement to indicate that it's not running on an iPhone and therefore those that come to this forum (like you!) that hate on everything Apple does will find fault with the methodology of the testing as they prefer Samsung, HTC, LG, or pretty much every other smartphone vendor except for Apple.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #70 of 80
I think their slide test is inconclusive. Watch at minute 1.40-ish. When any liquid is present between the iPhone and the surface all friction goes out the door. That is how my iPhone met the floor for the first time. Thank goodness it was carpeted
post #71 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

 

I have an iPhone 3G coming up to five years old, a 4 almost 3 years old and a 5 almost a year old, they have had as many smashed screens as I have pom-poms (i.e. none).


Same here. In the 2.5 years my 3GS has been sitting in a drawer, the screen has not cracked at all. ;-)

post #72 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post



Actually, the statement is true.

IN A VACUUM, items of different weights fall at the same speed. In the atmosphere (where most people will be using their phones),

Same speed? What speed would that be?

post #73 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post


This is a hardware duribility report, what has android got to do with it?

Well for one it mentioned Android and based on his defensive stance, I would say that he has some issues that need to be sorted out.  There are a few open minded people on here who say "Go to the store, try out the phones and buy one that suits you" but those users are far and few between on here.  People come to this site for 2 reasons:

 

1)  Laugh at the zealots

2)  Engage in 'debate' with people who all have the same opinion.  Product A is the best and always will be.  They do not want to hear about anything else because they are emotionally vested in the products they buy.

post #74 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

 

I don't live in the USA either and the price of the Note 2 and Galaxy S4 are higher than the iPhone 5.

 

Australian prices.

 

As I said earlier, the S3 price has dropped substantially as overstuffed channels need to be cleared.

Are you serious Apple have dropped the price due to competition and on specs value Samsung is more powerful phone, lets see what next iPhone costs and then we can compare. Again If you look at the original price, it is still little higher than the S4 (before discount).

post #75 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Are you serious Apple have dropped the price due to competition and on specs value Samsung is more powerful phone, lets see what next iPhone costs and then we can compare. Again If you look at the original price, it is still little higher than the S4 (before discount).

The "original" price of the iPhone 5 is $A799, the "original" price of the S4 is $A849.

In specs value, the S4 is "way overpriced" compared to the Sony Xperia Z and the HTC One.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #76 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I honestly have no idea how you can't understand that if a device comes with Android that it's not from Apple. The Android comment didn't imply that running Android makes HW less durable, it simply a general statement to indicate that it's not running on an iPhone and therefore those that come to this forum (like you!) that hate on everything Apple does will find fault with the methodology of the testing as they prefer Samsung, HTC, LG, or pretty much every other smartphone vendor except for Apple.

I honestly have no idea how you don't understand that other manufacturers than Samsung make Android devices. They are comparing two Samsung devices, not Android.

Also, I am glad to see you are returning to your roots, I am not "hating on Apple" like you claim, where in my posts have I said anything like you claim, that's right, I haven't
post #77 of 80
-1
post #78 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

The "original" price of the iPhone 5 is $A799, the "original" price of the S4 is $A849.

In specs value, the S4 is "way overpriced" compared to the Sony Xperia Z and the HTC One.


Come on your link shows the original price, so you have picked a site which may sell it for more? Since I was referring to IPhone 5 and S4, not sure why you mention HTC one. You may want to read cnet review.
post #79 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post


Come on your link shows the original price, so you have picked a site which may sell it for more? Since I was referring to IPhone 5 and S4, not sure why you mention HTC one. You may want to read cnet review.

 

I use Australian recommended retail prices, the site I linked to directly imports phones (mainly from Hong Kong) so the pricing is slightly different.

 

"Speaking to CNET Australia, Tyler McGee, vice president of telecommunications for Samsung Electronics Australia, confirmed that the S4 will be available for $899 outright. Locally, the phone will carry a quad-core Snapdragon CPU running at 1.9GHz, not the so-called "octa-core" Exynos 5 processor."

 

Source

 

Why?

 

Because people persist in claiming Apple products are "way overpriced", when similar products are priced in the same ballpark.

 

The Sony and HTC offer better value than the S4, as they offer similar performance at a lower cost.

 

i.e. why does the LTE enabled S4 with off the shelf parts from Qualcomm and Sony cost more than an iPhone 5?


Edited by hill60 - 5/2/13 at 7:15pm
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #80 of 80
-2

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 5 bests Samsung's Galaxy S4 in smartphone torture test