or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › IDC: iPad dipped to 40% of tablet shipments in Q1 2013

IDC: iPad dipped to 40% of tablet shipments in Q1 2013

post #1 of 109
Apple's iPad fell to 39.6 percent of total worldwide tablet shipments in the first quarter of calendar 2013, according to the latest market data from research firm IDC.

IDC

The iPad posted year over year growth of 65.3 percent to reach 19.5 million tablets. But Apple still saw its share of the total tablet market drop from nearly 60 percent a year ago to under 40 percent at the start of 2013.

According to IDC, Apple's shipments just didn't grow as fast as the rest of the booming tablet market. On average, the total market grew 142.4 percent, led by Asus which grew it shipments by 350 percent year over year.

Though its market share fell, Apple still exceeded IDC's expectations for the quarter. The firm had projected shipments of 18.7 million units for the three-month frame.

Apple still shipped more than double that of the second-place tablet maker, Samsung, which saw its shipments grow 282.6 percent year over year. The South Korean electronics maker shipped 8.8 million tablets in the quarter, earning it a 17.9 percent slice of the market.

Asus came in third, shipping just 2.7 million units and garnering 5.5 percent. In third was Amazon, which makes the family of Kindle Fire touchscreen tablets, taking 3.7 percent with 1.8 million units shipped.

Finally, in fifth was Microsoft, which is attempting to break in to the tablet market with the Surface. It earned 0.9 million shipments and a 1.8 percent market share.

"Sustained demand for the iPad mini and increasingly strong commercial shipments led to a better-than expected first quarter for Apple," said Tom Mainelli, Research Director, Tablets at IDC. "In addition, by moving the iPad launch to the fourth quarter of 2012, Apple seems to have avoided the typical first-quarter slowdown that traditionally occurred when consumers held off buying in January and February in anticipation of a new product launch in March."
post #2 of 109
Is this not thanks to Window's latest operating system and the machines that's been shipping on?
post #3 of 109

Ahhhhh

I see what you did there.

The Old  > Shipments < Instead Of > Sold To Actual Customers < chart.

post #4 of 109
15.5 million 'others'? Seems like an awfully large number to just slough off without offering a breakdown as to who makes up this group. If Amazon is giving, er, selling less than 2 million, it just doesn't seem possible for there to be that many small sellers contributing over 15 million units.
post #5 of 109

So.. Where can I find the reports where Samsung, Asus, and MS reported their shipment numbers?!

Oh yeah.. they don't exist.

post #6 of 109
B. S. I seriously doubt that many people are settling for a non- iPad.
post #7 of 109
I would be interested in seeing a specific breakdown of tablets by price. For instance... tablets that cost $329 and above.

People buying a $99 Chinese tablets are being counted in Android's numbers... but I really doubt those people were even considering a much more expensive iPad.

Apple's share of the total tablet market fell... but I'm pretty sure they still control the lucrative mid to high-end tablet market.
post #8 of 109

Amazon and Microsoft shipments combined attaining those of ASUS (who? what?).

Bezos and Bozo Ballmer must be popping the champagne corks tonight. LOL

post #9 of 109
Originally Posted by kozchris View Post
B. S. I seriously doubt that many people are settling for a non- iPad.

I seriously believe that ever more people USE iPads (seeing as none of the reports of use show the iPad falling below 90%), despite all this channel stuffing from everyone else.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #10 of 109

ASUS makes the Google Nexus 7

post #11 of 109

I am waiting to buy New ipads both mini and regular size one! Holiday season (Christmas) will keep ipad mini availability under pressure! 

That time we see apple stock over 600 and news media will be doing the opposite of what they are doing right now. They will be in bed with Tim Cook and Apple lol

post #12 of 109

This chart is hilarious! How can they publish this and not be nuked?

9 million Samsung's tablets?? Whaaat? Where???

I can believe Asus because of Nexus 7, but all others?

Someone was drunk.

post #13 of 109
Typical IDC paid PR crap. First, they consistently point to Apple 'failing' while Apple is actually booming.

Then we note once again, they mislead with "units shipped" not "units sold". So yeah. When measuring true 'market share', shipped is not equal to sold. So let me spell those numbers out for ya:

"M.e.a.n.i.n.g.l.e.s.s."

[EDIT] Added note: Since Apple does actually sell pretty much everything they ship in the tablet space (they keep a very short inventory lead), it does mean that Apple increased real sales by nearly 65% year on year… And yet, according to another (somewhat questionable) IDC report, Apple retained just under a 50% global share of sold units… so an increase in competition, but not nearly as wide a swing as the numbers in this article would imply? ThIngs aren't really adding up in "the world according to IDC".
Edited by tribalogical - 5/1/13 at 12:49pm
post #14 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

This chart is hilarious! How can they publish this and not be nuked?

9 million Samsung's tablets?? Whaaat? Where???

I can believe Asus because of Nexus 7, but all others?

Someone was drunk.

Doesn't Samsung make the Nexus 10?

I've also seen Samsung give away tablets with their more expensive TVs and cameras.
post #15 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Doesn't Samsung make the Nexus 10?

I've also seen Samsung give away tablets with their more expensive TVs and cameras.

No one buys the Nexus 10, at least no one with a working brain.

Never saw one in the wild and most likely will never see it.

Even the Nexus 7 is not that good...

post #16 of 109
Seriously, IDC has always had it out for Apple. The fact is, their research is funded by subscriptions paid for by all the very same PC manufacturers whose profits are now being decimated by Apple. So IDC's incentive for twisting and stretching the numbers is the hope that if they can make their bread and butter customers look good, perhaps they can buy them some time to figure out how to compete with Apple by making the reality "appear" better than it really is. However, the REALITY is that, just as we saw with netbooks, the only way all of these so-called "competitors" know how to compete is in a race to the bottom as they stumble over themselves rushing to "ship" product as close to cost (or below) as they dare. This may help them gain market share in the short term (while "shipped" product builds up in warehouses waiting for "customers" who may or may not ever appear), but in the end, only Apple makes profits--which in itself is pretty amazing when you consider that everyone else is basically giving their shit away!
post #17 of 109
IDC again, will ya just stop publishing this gabbage
post #18 of 109
Total unsubstantiated bullshit.
post #19 of 109
Oh, and if IDC is to be believed in the second chart, Apple dropped from a 60% global market share to a 40% market share in a single quarter (the drop occurring between Q's 2 & 3 in 2012), where they remain today.

Who stepped in and 'stole' that 20% of market share away in a single quarter? How is that even remotely imaginable?

Even with IDC saying: "the number of units shipped equals market share"? Bwaaa hahahaha!
post #20 of 109
I don't know how they obtained numbers for the Kindle Fire, but if they have any validity, it looks like people buy them as Xmas gifts than for personal use, based on the Q42012 numbers.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #21 of 109
Apples figures are also shipped, not sold.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #22 of 109
It does seen odd in a Q which included the mini compared to previous quarters. Apple needs a $250 device. If that can't compete then there is no need to go after that market.
post #23 of 109

How do I invest in this Others company?  I see them all the time and they are always doing great.

post #24 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Apples figures are also shipped, not sold.

So, where did you find them numbers on non-Apple 'shipments'?lol.gif

post #25 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by focher View Post

Total unsubstantiated bullshit.

And you know this how? IDC has been doing this for a while.

The National Enquirer has been doing what they do for a longer while than IDC.

Edited by anantksundaram - 5/1/13 at 1:44pm
post #26 of 109
Quote:

No, IDC's bread and butter is being trusted.

Well, people weren't raising these types of questions until a few months ago. (Even AI is now very careful to use the term 'shipments' while previously, it used to be quite loose in its reporting conflating it with 'sales'). Let's see who long this 'trust' lasts -- others will catch on too. Even the dumb-as-a-rock (on finance issues) tech press will get it one day.

Unless IDC put out an actual methodology -- and they don't so both bother giving us a link -- and also explain how they combine a set of actuals (Apple) with a set of estimates (everyone else), there is nothing to trust.

post #27 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Unless IDC put out an actual methodology -- and they don't so both bother giving us a link -- and also explain how they combine a set of actuals (Apple) with a set of estimates (everyone else), there is nothing to trust.

Exactly. They list the top 5 companies... which is probably easy to find.

But... how deep did they go to get the "Others" category?

This is worldwide... with probably dozens of little manufacturers all across the globe. How are they formulating these estimates? Where did they get 15.5 million "other" tablets?

If I wanted to know how many "Micromax Funbook Infinity P275" were sold in India... IDC would have that information, right?

Or are they just guessing?
post #28 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Well, people weren't raising these types of questions until a few months ago. (Even AI is now very careful to use the term 'shipments' while previously, it used to be quite loose in its reporting conflating it with 'sales'). Let's see who long this 'trust' lasts -- others will catch on too. Even the dumb-as-a-rock (on finance issues) tech press will get it one day.

Once again. Apple use IDC's figures in its conference calls including the last one. You are just a guy on the Internet, one who doesn't understand that Apples figures are shipments to channel not sales. Amongst other remedial mistakes.
post #29 of 109
If we didn't have the I DON'T BELIEVE THIS cant in these threads we could have a sane discussion on what Apple needs to do.
post #30 of 109
Quote:

Once again. Apple use IDC's figures in its conference calls including the last one. You are just a guy on the Internet, one who doesn't understand that Apples figures are shipments to channel not sales. Amongst other remedial mistakes.

Of course Apple figures are 'shipments'. The fact that even you were able to figure that out pretty much makes that obvious.

Looks like you have trouble comprehending the words 'actuals' and 'estimates' in my post. Not for the first time.

And, for the n-th time -- since you bring it up every time IDC is brought up in AI (which leads me to think that you might work for them) -- the fact that Oppenheimer used it says nothing at all one way or another.

Unless you can explain their methodology, your post makes so sense.

post #31 of 109
If we didn't have the I DON'T BELIEVE THIS cant in these threads we could have a sane discussion on what Apple needs to do.

They don't "need to do" anything. They've already done more than they needed to do. 

What, they "need" a 7" model now? A 6"? A $99 tablet? Maybe an 8.5".

post #32 of 109

Some posters' aluminum hats are too tight.

post #33 of 109
Quote:

Actually the believability of the data is seriously compromised by IDC's shoddy methodology.

They -- and their supporters -- should put up or shut up.

post #34 of 109

The world is a big place I guess... Around me all (and I mean ALL) tablets that I see are iPads. I know a guy who has a Transformer and my mom has a random plastic android thing collecting dust on a cabinet. Other than that, iPads.

So all those numbers must come from another corner of the earth...

post #35 of 109
Quote:

Let me guess, Apple needs:-

A cheaper tablet.

To update iOS so it's less "dated" and "boring".

Whatever else is on the menu this week.

btw, what's with the caps, "I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S NOT A PAID ENDORSEMENT"?

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #36 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Oh, and if IDC is to be believed in the second chart, Apple dropped from a 60% global market share to a 40% market share in a single quarter (the drop occurring between Q's 2 & 3 in 2012), where they remain today.

Who stepped in and 'stole' that 20% of market share away in a single quarter? How is that even remotely imaginable?

Even with IDC saying: "the number of units shipped equals market share"? Bwaaa hahahaha!

Half of reading a chart is understanding the data you are looking at.  The 'hard numbers' are the number of units sold during the indicated quarters.  When you take the number of units one vendor sold and divide that by the total number sold, you get their percentage of devices sold that quarter.  Look at the numbers and do the math...

Apple sold 11.8 million units in Q1 of 2012.  Everybody COMBINED sold 20.3 million units.  Do the math....  Apple sold 58.1% of the units sold that quarter. 

That is not remotely implying that 58% of tablet users are using an iPad.  Sales market share does not equal user market share.

User market share is more like a tub full of water, and sales market share would be individual faucets filling up that tub.

Apple had a huge hit with the iPad and was pretty much filling up the majority of the tub by itself for a few years.  Most of the 'water' currently in the tub is indeed from the Apple spigot.  At one point the iPad was around 80-85% of the market.

In Q1 of 2013 Apple sold a whopping 19.5 million tablets.  The most ever by anybody and certainly another 'record'  19.5 million is more than 11.8 million so Apple did indeed grow by 65.3%  That is tremendous growth any way you slice it, and when you are selling the MOST in a market it is very difficult to grow by a large percentage.  Say I made my own tablet and last year I sold one of them.  This year I sold 10 of them.  I could say that because Apple went from 11.8m to 19.5m they 'only' grew 65.3%.... Since I went from 1 to 10 tablets sold I grew a staggering 1000%.  Since 1000% growth > 65.3% growth *clearly* I'm kicking Apples butt...

I sold 10 tablets.  Apple sold 19.5 million.

Data is data and you can make pretty much anything sound good.  But you can't argue with the actual numbers- and the other vendors aren't selling '10' tablets to Apples 19.5 million- they are closing the gap rapidly.  Apple is now supplying more water to the tub than ever, but the other faucets have turned up even more than Apple has.  Where last year Apple was putting 60% of the total water into the tub they are contributing in about 40%

If you fill a tub 80% full with cold water only, then change it to 80% hot water/20% cold water, the whole tub doesn't immediately change to being hot.  Given enough time sales share will eventually determine user share.

*If* the data above is accurate it means Apple has lost sales dominance and probably about 2 years from now there will be more Android tablet users than Apple tablet users.

Since Apple still has around 70% *user* market share, usage statistics are going to show substantially more iOS usage than Android usage but that number too will trend of time lagging the results of sales market share.

post #37 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post

*If* the data above is accurate .....

It can't be accurate since the methodology is messed up. (As you noted elsewhere in your post, "Half of reading a chart is understanding the data you are looking at.").

post #38 of 109
Quote:

What is ASUS shipping? I haven't heard much about their devices (transformers, I guess)

Nexus tablets.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #39 of 109

well doesn't this happen when your stuff reaches a saturation point? Duh. There are just so many people that are going to but  the iPad.

post #40 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I seriously believe that ever more people USE iPads (seeing as none of the reports of use show the iPad falling below 90%), despite all this channel stuffing from everyone else.

I agree with you but you gotta remember all the iPads purchased before 2012 that are still being used. The upgrade cycle for iPads is probably longer than the iPhone so while sales might slip a little actual users will be higher.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › IDC: iPad dipped to 40% of tablet shipments in Q1 2013