or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Flaw in distracted driving study: no evaluation of Apple's "Eyes Free" Siri mode

Flaw in distracted driving study: no evaluation of Apple's "Eyes Free" Siri mode - Page 2

post #41 of 42
The flaw in the study has something to do with the understanding what driving really entails. If you spend 90 minutes and more in daily commute in a job you have for years, for decades, no matter if you're looking at the road or not - you are distracted while driving. Consuming food or having a latte or a bottle of water is only part of it. I see people pick their nose, apply makeup, comb their hair, sing along with their radio. Holding their phone to their ear or their face. This is not the odd person but the vast majority. Drivers using their ipad or even laptop on the interstate is nothing out of the ordinary. A bunch of kids in college will never get that - even the ones with ADHD, because they lack the experience needed to understand - I remember my student days decades ago and feel their need to make a difference.

Eyes free is surely distracting from the act of driving - but it does so a hell of a lot less than any of the above. No need to take the hands off the wheel and steer with your knee. pushing the steering wheel button adds actually a positive shift of grip, keeping you engaged with the task of driving. Talking to Siri is multitasking for sure, but it does not undermine your awareness of traffic around you. My BMW text to voice already reads me the news, weather, calendar, Facebook, Twitter, whatever I want - yet I have to initiate with the onscreen controls, taking my attention off the road for split seconds every time. Siri will allow me to do all this in the spoken dialogue with her, just like a human copilot.
post #42 of 42
Originally Posted by Will Junker View Post
If you don't allow yourself to be distracted, you cannot dive the same route every day for decades.

This sounds like the opposite of everything that would make sense to anyone.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Flaw in distracted driving study: no evaluation of Apple's "Eyes Free" Siri mode
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Flaw in distracted driving study: no evaluation of Apple's "Eyes Free" Siri mode