or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Slow start for Surface has Microsoft cautiously prepping smaller next-gen models - report

Slow start for Surface has Microsoft cautiously prepping smaller next-gen models - report

post #1 of 47
Microsoft is said to be planning to introduce its second generation of Surface tablets with smaller displays this June, but the company is reportedly taking a "cautious" approach after the initial models got off to a lukewarm start.

Sources in Microsoft's upstream supply chain indicated to hit-or-miss industry publication DigiTimes that new Surface-branded devices are expected to be announced at the company's Build Developers Conference, scheduled for June 26 through 28. If true, the new hardware would be unveiled about a year after the first Surface units were announced, though the actual hardware didn't go on sale until late 2012.

surfacing

Suppliers for the second-generation models are said to include manufacturer Pegatron, chassis maker Ju Teng, displays from Samsung and LG, and processors from Intel and Nvidia.

As the market trends toward smaller tablets, Microsoft is expected to only introduce new Surface models with screen sizes between 7 and 9 inches, the report claims. The first generation of Surface hardware featured 10.6-inch displays.

Thursday's report reiterated claims that Microsoft only achieved sales of 1.5 million total Surface units to date, with a million of those being ARM-based Surface RT devices, and the remaining 500,000 being Intel-based Surface Pro units. Those numbers were said to be about half the sales of 3 million to 4 million that Microsoft had anticipated.

Because of those apparently disappointing sales, Microsoft is reportedly taking a "cautious attitude" in hyping its second generation of Surface units.

Microsoft officials already tipped last month during their company's quarterly earnings call that they are working on "a new suite of small touch devices powered by Windows." The hardware will have "competitive price points," Microsoft Chief Financial Officer Peter Klein told investors and analysts.
post #2 of 47
But it'll probably run the same OS, so this won't work either. Ya know, I remember Bill Gates having this vision of having Windows Everywhere, which seemed like a good idea. But as long as they keep on putting Windows on every device and not tailoring it for its intended purpose, they'll miss and create another failed product. As long as they don't change that mindset, I don't see any good hardware coming from Microsoft. Ever.
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
post #3 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Do you consider the Xbox a failed product?

"I don't see any good hardware coming from Microsoft. Ever." does not equal "failed product." The Xbox is crappy hardware but is popular. Windows is a crappy operating system but runs on 90%+ of the world's crappy PC hardware. There is no connection between the quality of a product and its success or failure in the marketplace. It's why Hyundai, Kia, and Samsung exist.

post #4 of 47
I honestly don't think those numbers are that bad. Let's remember that MS is selling against the iPad and with prices that are in the MBA range for the Intel-based model. Now consider that MS isn't just getting a Windows license but is the HW vendor I think this is a much better take than I originally expected they would get. Excluding the iPad, what other tablet priced as high sells more than 1.5 million units? I don't think there are any.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #5 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

"I don't see any good hardware coming from Microsoft. Ever." does not equal "failed product." The Xbox is crappy hardware but is popular. Windows is a crappy operating system but runs on 90%+ of the world's crappy PC hardware. There is no connection 
between the quality of a product and its success or failure in the marketplace. It's why Hyundai, Kia, and Samsung exist.

Don't forget VHS 1biggrin.gif
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #6 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I honestly don't think those numbers are that bad. Let's remember that MS is selling against the iPad and with prices that are in the MBA range for the Intel-based model. Now consider that MS isn't just getting a Windows license but is the HW vendor I think this is a much better take than I originally expected they would get. Excluding the iPad, what other tablet priced as high sells more than 1.5 million units? I don't think there are any.

I have a feeling in ten years time the whole Microsoft story will be a fascinating chapter in history.
post #7 of 47
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post
I have a feeling in ten years time the whole Microsoft story will be a fascinating chapter in history.

"How I learned to stop worrying and completely destroy the most important communication tool in human history for two decades with my monopolistic, proprietary crap."

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #8 of 47
Quote:

I have a feeling MS will still be a huge company in 20 years in much the same way as IBM. Not commanding mindshare but still highly important and profitable in the enterprise. Want to make a bet on if MS will exist in one score from today? We can each put 1 share of AAPL in to an account. 1biggrin.gif

post #9 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"How I learned to stop worrying and completely destroy the most important communication tool in human history for two decades with my monopolistic, proprietary crap."

ROFL ...

You forget the personal biography released as a follow up ... , "How I ripped off others' technology, retired early and cleared my conscience with self aggrandizing philanthropy using my ill gotten gains"
post #10 of 47
Quote:

I have a feeling MS will still be a huge company in 20 years in much the same way as IBM. Not commanding mindshare but still highly important and profitable in the enterprise. Want to make a bet on if MS will exist in one score from today? We can each put 1 share of AAPL in to an account. 1biggrin.gif

1$, I'm simply not a gambler 1wink.gif

My bet is based on arrogance not letting them do an IBM. I see more of a Kodak mindset at the helm. IBM was always more than a PC maker, they had a long history. The brush with Gates and the PC was only a part of their history. MS, not so much. Windows, Office (both Jobs' concepts with help from Xerox) and Xbox. Oh, I forgot Bloat, virus proliferation and malware ... 1wink.gif
Edited by digitalclips - 5/2/13 at 6:50am
post #11 of 47
Quote:

"I don't see any good hardware coming from Microsoft. Ever." does not equal "failed product." The Xbox is crappy hardware but is popular. Windows is a crappy operating system but runs on 90%+ of the world's crappy PC hardware. There is no connection between the quality of a product and its success or failure in the marketplace. It's why Hyundai, Kia, and Samsung exist.

That's crazy talk...anyways, on a different note & not a grand & unfounded statement, At work they got a surface RT for testing, they had the crazy idea that senators would like them, they quickly found out that they are useless, so now i have a surface RT at my desk, just for surfing the net during the day :p 

post #12 of 47

I look forward to see Steve Ballmer explaining this new, modest and cautious approach ...

post #13 of 47
Quote:

Article indicates only 500,000 units of the 1.5 million were Surface Pro, the other million were ARM-based Surface RT.

I wonder if they will produce both Surface Pro and Surface RT in the smaller size(s)? How small is too small when you're trying to run "real" Windows apps on the legacy(?) desktop?

post #14 of 47
You forget the personal biography released as a follow up ... , "How I ripped off others' technology, retired early and cleared my conscience with self aggrandizing philanthropy using my ill gotten gains"

You know, once I was even told, "It's okay, even if he stole the money from Apple. Steve Jobs would never have given all that back to the poor like Gates is."

post #15 of 47
Quote:

"I don't see any good hardware coming from Microsoft. Ever." does not equal "failed product." The Xbox is crappy hardware but is popular. Windows is a crappy operating system but runs on 90%+ of the world's crappy PC hardware. There is no connection 
between the quality of a product and its success or failure in the marketplace. It's why Hyundai, Kia, and Samsung exist.

I agree with 95% of all you said. Exept for Hyundai. The car quality are actually at or above previous market leaders like Honda and Toyota. Samsung and Microsoft well you got those right they only pump cheap and mediocre products.
post #16 of 47
Quote:

1$, I'm simply not a gambler 1wink.gif

My bet is based on arrogance not letting them do an IBM. I see more of a Kodak mindset at the helm. IBM was always more than a PC maker, they had a long history. The brush with Gates and the PC was only a part of their history. MS, not so much. Windows, Office (both Jobs' concepts with help from Xerox) and Xbox. Oh, I forgot Bloat, virus proliferation and malware ... 1wink.gif

$1? But what is that in 20 years? It's still $1 in an inflated market. But 2 shares of AAPL in today would likely be a great vacation or new car for the winner. Besides, losing $400 to you doesn't seem like a bad way to spend $400.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

Article indicates only 500,000 units of the 1.5 million were Surface Pro, the other million were ARM-based Surface RT.

I wonder if they will produce both Surface Pro and Surface RT in the smaller size(s)? How small is too small when you're trying to run "real" Windows apps on the legacy(?) desktop?

It never occurred to me that a Surface [mini] wouldn't use anything other than ARM thus making it Windows RT. Based on the Surface Pro numbers and the power requirements I would bet against Intel chips being used unless they go with Atom, which I think would be a huge mistake.

post #17 of 47
Quote:

$1? But what is that in 20 years? It's still $1 in an inflated market. But 2 shares of AAPL in today would likely be a great vacation or new car for the winner. Besides, losing $400 to you doesn't seem like a bad way to spend $400.

That's a nice positive though, two shares of AAPL would buy a car in 10 years ... 1smile.gif Here's hoping ...
post #18 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Morales View Post

I agree with 95% of all you said. Exept for Hyundai. The car quality are actually at or above previous market leaders like Honda and Toyota. Samsung and Microsoft well you got those right they only pump cheap and mediocre products.

I remember when the Korean cars first came to the US. They were junk. If you wanted to make an emergency stop, you just turned on the AC.

But you are correct their cars are a lot better quality now.

post #19 of 47
Quote:

Do you count each red ring of death as a failure?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #20 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

I look forward to see Steve Ballmer explaining this new, modest and cautious approach ...

Ballmer: "We dressed up your PC in post-PC hardware! What more do you people want?"

Buying public: "iPad."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #21 of 47
Quote:

I do, because it's in such bad taste. Starting with the open-wound logo. Microsoft has the ability to make even an "X" ugly.
post #22 of 47

60% hardware failure rate, so yeah.

post #23 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I remember when the Korean cars first came to the US. They were junk. If you wanted to make an emergency stop, you just turned on the AC.

But you are correct their cars are a lot better quality now.

I know I also remeber the crappy Hyundai Accents and Excel of the 90's tin can with wheels. But today is a different story.
post #24 of 47

Microsoft's attempt at retransformation has been interesting to watch.  I was traveling on business this week and stopped at the Stanford Mall, a trendy outdoor mall in Menlo Park, CA.  There is a Microsoft Store there, the first I'd ever seen in person.  It was a good sized store with big glass windows.  Inside were a layout completely reminiscent of an Apple store....study light colored wood tables, attractive displays and lots and lots of Surface products on display, as well as Windows 8 machines and Xboxes.

Problem:  there were literally no customers.  Only the five or so employees trying to make their time waiting for someone to walk in the door.

Two doors down was the mall's Apple Store.  This store was tiny...about a third of the size of the Microsoft store and easily one of the smallest Apple Stores I'd ever seen.  And yet there had to have been about 20 customers in there shopping (this was a weekday afternoon).

I'm not sure how Microsoft turns this ship around, but whatever they are doing isn't working.  I cannot see how the retail store strategy is turning a profit right now.

post #25 of 47
Quote:

well, it's the old "sold" vs. "shipped" question again. MS refuses to tell us. sales to users could be far less. half that total could be unsold inventory. no one has reported hard evidence of any substantial number of RT tablets in use at all.

MS may stubbornly try a last gasp 7" RT, yes, but it's plainly dead as a dodo. a classic total fail.

and jamming Windows 8 into a 7" Pro? you have to be kidding.
post #26 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

60% hardware failure rate, so yeah.

Where did you read that? The xbox cost them quite a lot as sony started years earlier.

post #27 of 47
Quote:

As I understand it Apple legally licensed the Mac GUI elements to MS in the early days and it came back to haunt them. Courts later upheld that license.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #28 of 47
Once again, Microsoft has waited for Apple to demonstrate in the marketplace that a device or interface design will make money, before themselves embarking upon "inspired replication".
post #29 of 47
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Thursday's report reiterated claims that Microsoft only achieved sales of 1.5 million total Surface units to date, with a million of those being ARM-based Surface RT devices, and the remaining 500,000 being Intel-based Surface Pro units.

One word: "unsustainable."

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #30 of 47

Do you think Xbox profits will make up for declining legacy Windows revenue?

Will it keep Microsoft relevant in the post-PC era?

Or is the legacy "gaming console" also a dying genre?

post #31 of 47
Quote:

Well, certainly failed when looking at their launch with its failed PSU's. Successful as a product.... but they didn't try to pry Windows into it, unlike their WindowsCE... for phones ¡
post #32 of 47
Quote:

ROFL ...

People will always try to tear down other's good works. 1rolleyes.gif

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #33 of 47
Not to mention the fact that MS bailed Apple out in the dark days.

/s

You're too smart to be saying this seriously.

post #34 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

As I understand it Apple legally licensed the Mac GUI elements to MS in the early days and it came back to haunt them. Courts later upheld that license.

As I recall things like that happened well after the fact and the horse had already left the stable. No putting the genie back in the bottle the damage was done. KInd of the oldf 'forgiveness is easier to get than permission' theory my lawyers always expound!
post #35 of 47
Well are they going to enter the 7 inch market?
post #36 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

But it'll probably run the same OS, so this won't work either. Ya know, I remember Bill Gates having this vision of having Windows Everywhere, which seemed like a good idea. But as long as they keep on putting Windows on every device and not tailoring it for its intended purpose, they'll miss and create another failed product. As long as they don't change that mindset, I don't see any good hardware coming from Microsoft. Ever.

It took Microsoft to prove that it is possible to make a failed product while controlling both the hardware and the software from the ground up...!!!

Thank you, Uncle Fester...!

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #37 of 47
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Well, certainly failed when looking at their launch with its failed PSU's. Successful as a product.... but they didn't try to pry Windows into it, unlike their WindowsCE... for phones ¡

Windows CE was very successful for several years, as a product, though it was fairly ghastly.

What a fitting word, ghastly. Reminds me of their Xbox advertisement:
Quote:
In 2002 the Independent Television Commission (ITC) banned a television advertisement for the Xbox in the United Kingdom after complaints that it was highly distasteful, violent, scary and upsetting. It depicted a mother giving birth to a small boy who was fired like a projectile through a hospital window and who aged rapidly as he flew through the air yelling. As he soared across a large area, he passed quickly through stages of his life as though time was passing him by. After aging into an old man, he crash-landed into his own grave. Dust and smoke poured from the grave. The advertisement ended with the slogan Life is short. Play more.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/2028725.stm
post #38 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

That's crazy talk...anyways, on a different note & not a grand & unfounded statement, At work they got a surface RT for testing, they had the crazy idea that senators would like them, they quickly found out that they are useless, so now i have a surface RT at my desk, just for surfing the net during the day :p 

Do you click it and clack it and throw it around? Does it make you do goofy break dancing?? Enquiring minds want to know.

post #39 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Quote:

ROFL ...

People will always try to tear down other's good works. 1rolleyes.gif

And the informed tell it objectively, unprejudiced and without generalising.
post #40 of 47
Quote:

When you consider that every IT department in the world should have been looking forward to Microsoft's Surfaces to spare them from having to integrate iOS and Android into their facility (if they had been able to hold them at bay up until this point), these numbers may largely represent their pilot program orders. Microsoft was counting on this happening, and according to the article, it was underwhelming to MS as well. 

Apple sells more iPads in a weekend than MSFT did in a quarter. That's how bad it was...

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Slow start for Surface has Microsoft cautiously prepping smaller next-gen models - report
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Slow start for Surface has Microsoft cautiously prepping smaller next-gen models - report