or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Another Apple supplier cites slipping demand from its 'largest customer'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Another Apple supplier cites slipping demand from its 'largest customer'

post #1 of 36
Thread Starter 
Component maker Laird announced on Friday that revenue from its "largest customer" fell 17 percent in the first quarter, and that declining revenue is expected to continue until the second half of the year, leaving market watchers to suspect the customer in question is Apple.

Laid supplies electromagnetic shielding and heat control components for wireless devices like Apple's iPhone and iPad. After the company out reduced orders from its largest customers, investors were left to presume that Laird was talking about Apple, according to Reuters.

iphone et al


Laird projects that its next June quarter will also see revenue decline. Growth is expected to resume in the second half of the year; consequently, Apple is expected to revamp virtually its entire major product lineup this fall.

In recent weeks, a number of key Apple suppliers have reported weak results. Apple itself has revealed slowing growth of its lucrative iPhone platform, and last quarter saw its profits fall for the first time in a decade.

Those declines are expected to continue for Apple in the following June quarter, as the company gears up to launch its next-generation iPhone, new iPads, and potentially enter new product categories. Apple CEO Tim Cook said new products can be expected this fall and throughout 2014.
post #2 of 36
Apple is Doomed (TM)

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #3 of 36
Apple doomed to ramp up end of year. My family is not the only one waiting to add a 128g iPad & a couple of phones
post #4 of 36
...because customers are waiting to get Apple's latest model this year...again...and again...and again...

This happens every Goddamn year!
post #5 of 36

I'm beginning to suspect that these suppliers leak this stuff just for personal advertising benefits.

post #6 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett Ruess View Post

My family is not the only one waiting to add a 128g iPad
Waiting because?
post #7 of 36

Apple has been adding additional suppliers for every component included in every product. This has been announced in multiple forums. Maybe Laird is no longer the primary supplier of shielding and heat control components. Unless Laird comes out and identifies their customer list, all of this is pure speculation, the type that market manipulators love. As @brustus said, insinuate Apple is having problems and every forum picks it up whether it's true or not.

post #8 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Waiting because?

He had to mean 256 GIG 1smile.gif
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #9 of 36

It doesn't mean Apple is Doom, is just means the smartphone market is reaching saturation point which we all knew was not far away. After all it's 2007 that the iPhone debuted. The iPad has a long way to go though and a lot of people with ancient piece of junk PCs to be replaced with iPads, I think once Microsoft releases Office for iPad a lot of those old PCs will meet their maker.

post #10 of 36
Stock is up over $5 pre-market, mostly due to a good jobs report, but honestly I think stories like this are starting to have less effect. Because often times they're bogus or don't tell the whole story. I mean that WSJ report from back in January didnt beat itself out in any of the numbers Apple reported.
post #11 of 36
These are all companies that can't except responsibility for their failed stock performance so they are trying to blame someone else (Apple). Sort of like saying I didn't wreak the car the alcohol did.
post #12 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It doesn't mean Apple is Doom, is just means the smartphone market is reaching saturation point which we all knew was not far away. After all it's 2007 that the iPhone debuted. The iPad has a long way to go though and a lot of people with ancient piece of junk PCs to be replaced with iPads, I think once Microsoft releases Office for iPad a lot of those old PCs will meet their maker.
How can we make this correlation? #1 we don't know that the customer in question is Apple and #2 even if it is Apple we don't have enough information or context to know why. But when the media only has the what and doesn't know the who or why, they just assume its Apple and assume the worst (i.e., slowing demand for iPhone).
post #13 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It doesn't mean Apple is Doom, is just means the smartphone market is reaching saturation point which we all knew was not far away. After all it's 2007 that the iPhone debuted. The iPad has a long way to go though and a lot of people with ancient piece of junk PCs to be replaced with iPads, I think once Microsoft releases Office for iPad a lot of those old PCs will meet their maker.

 

The market is not even close to saturation yet, maybe on the US but not in Africa, India, China and most europe's countries.

post #14 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by kozchris View Post

These are all companies that can't except responsibility for their failed stock performance so they are trying to blame someone else (Apple). Sort of like saying I didn't wreak the car the alcohol did.
These companies aren't blaming Apple for anything. They're not even mentioning Apple by name. It's the media making ASSumptions.
post #15 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


How can we make this correlation? #1 we don't know that the customer in question is Apple and #2 even if it is Apple we don't have enough information or context to know why. But when the media only has the what and doesn't know the who or why, they just assume its Apple and assume the worst (i.e., slowing demand for iPhone).

It's just one story among many, from various suppliers, all saying the same thing. How much evidence do you need before you form a pattern?

post #16 of 36

So happy to see a "story" like this jump over to an Apple dedicated(?) site. Just what the stock market needs to help their stock slide. Thanks for the added BS! Opinion; Speculation; Rumor. All the things that helped me decide to remove A.I. from my bookmarks. R.I.P. 

post #17 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkman@chartermi.net View Post

So happy to see a "story" like this jump over to an Apple dedicated(?) site. Just what the stock market needs to help their stock slide. Thanks for the added BS! Opinion; Speculation; Rumor. All the things that helped me decide to remove A.I. from my bookmarks. R.I.P. 

Most Apple centric sites do the same, including MacWorld. If Apple were like most companies and kept analysts and the public abreast of their plans most of these sites wouldn't even exist anymore. Their oxygen is rumors and speculation.
post #18 of 36

The horse is out of the barn on this one.  Apple's guidance already told the story how many times does it need to be confirmed as if it is still news?

post #19 of 36
I think the screen size is causing a lot of average users to consider the other guys. I know I am, at least for the interim until iPhone 6.

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

Reply

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

Reply
post #20 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryA View Post

I think the screen size is causing a lot of average users to consider the other guys. I know I am, at least for the interim until iPhone 6.

If you look at Google's numbers at http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards you see that the vast majority - 80% - of the installed base has "normal" sized screens. In fact, there are about as many "small" screens (9.8%) as there are "large & xlarge" screens put together (10.5%).

 

Google's definitions:


Small = < 3.5"

Normal is the range around iPhone 5

Large is +4 to 7" 

X-Large = 7-10"

 

So according to Google, your extremely small sample size is not representative of the active installed base hitting Google Play.

post #21 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

If you look at Google's numbers at http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards you see that the vast majority - 80% - of the installed base has "normal" sized screens. In fact, there are about as many "small" screens (9.8%) as there are "large & xlarge" screens put together (10.5%).

 

Google's definitions:


Small = < 3.5"

Normal is the range around iPhone 5

Large is +4 to 7" 

X-Large = 7-10"

 

So according to Google, your extremely small sample size is not representative of the active installed base hitting Google Play.

FWIW "Normal" also covers display sizes larger than the current iPhone5.

 

As an example the Galaxy S3's 4.8" display is still considered "normal" as far as developers and the dashboard you referenced are concerned. You assumed normal must only be 4" or smaller displays without really checking it. That's a bit careless to post as a "correction", but heck I've done some careless posts of my own as have the rest of us.

 

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11036158/android-samsung-galaxy-s3-screen-size-for-layout

http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/screens_support.html


Edited by Gatorguy - 5/3/13 at 10:15am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #22 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Waiting because?
Waiting for 5s and maybe bigger iPhone, and waiting for a supper fast iPad 5 with double the storage of my other iPads
post #23 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

He had to mean 256 GIG 1smile.gif
I wish, iPad 5 should be fast fast fast & have same form as iPad mini?
post #24 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryA View Post

I think the screen size is causing a lot of average users to consider the other guys. I know I am, at least for the interim until iPhone 6.

 

So what?

 

Apple sold 10 million MORE iPhones and iPads in Q1 (YoY)

 

It's completely irrelevant what Samsung et all sold.

post #25 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

 

So what?

 

Apple sold 10 million MORE iPhones and iPads in Q1 (YoY)

 

It's completely irrelevant what Samsung et all sold.

If they offered a larger display model too could Apple have sold 15 million more instead of just 10?

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It's just one story among many, from various suppliers, all saying the same thing. How much evidence do you need before you form a pattern?

 

I haven't seen any objective evidence anywhere.  The patterns you speak of are based on biased speculation and pointed assumption.

post #27 of 36
I am hoping they spread the cycles a little bit instead of coming out with everything at once
post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

If they offered a larger display model too could Apple have sold 15 million more instead of just 10?

 

If Apple sold the iPhone 5 for $99 NO contract they could have sold 50 million more?

 

What's your point, other than aiding and abetting yet another thread derailment?

post #29 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

 

If Apple sold the iPhone 5 for $99 NO contract they could have sold 50 million more?

Apparently you'd rather not give your opinion. No biggie.

 

You seemed to be implying that it wouldn't financially benefit Apple to offer a larger display iPhone model. Personally I think it would. Since the discussion included some posters who desired such a smartphone and seem to feel it's unavailability might have some effect on iPhone demand it's seems more appropriate than a derailment. Your comment about reducing price is new to the thread tho.


Edited by Gatorguy - 5/3/13 at 10:45am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #30 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Apparently you'd rather not give your opinion. No biggie.

 

Apparently you still insist on sidetracking the thread!

 

 

 

Quote:
You seemed to be implying that it wouldn't financially benefit Apple to offer a larger display iPhone model.

 

 

No. Your inference is wrong

 

My original comment was really simple, to anyone paying attention. Apple sold more product in Q1 2013 than a year ago.

 

If you want to infer something from that... it should be "Why are all these analysts STILL suggesting that sales are dropping?'

post #31 of 36
I hope the confusion continues. I need another quarter at sub 450 to accumulate.
post #32 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Stock is up over $5 pre-market, mostly due to a good jobs report, but honestly I think stories like this are starting to have less effect. Because often times they're bogus or don't tell the whole story. I mean that WSJ report from back in January didnt beat itself out in any of the numbers Apple reported.

I would think that 99% of the time there bogus, and if they come from "digitimes" there 100% bogus.

post #33 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett Ruess View Post


I wish, iPad 5 should be fast fast fast & have same form as iPad mini?

Then it would be an iPad mini 2, not an iPad.

post #34 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It's just one story among many, from various suppliers, all saying the same thing. How much evidence do you need before you form a pattern?

You mean Apple only use one supplier for each of the component that goes into making the iPhone.
post #35 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[...] After the company out reduced orders from its largest customers

 

I have no idea what this sentence means. "Out reduced orders?" Is that some kind of jargon specific to financial circles?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Laird projects that its next June quarter will also see revenue decline.

 

Huh? So, June 2014? "Next quarter" or "June quarter" make sense in the context of this story, but why would they be talking about the NEXT June quarter now?

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Growth is expected to resume in the second half of the year; consequently, Apple is expected to revamp virtually its entire major product lineup this fall.

 

What?! "Consequently?" Laird expects growth next quarter, which will cause Apple to update its product lineup? Or does Sam mean "coincidentally?"

 

Honestly, the writing in these articles is getting to the point where I can't even understand them.


Edited by v5v - 5/4/13 at 1:34am
post #36 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

If you look at Google's numbers at http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards you see that the vast majority - 80% - of the installed base has "normal" sized screens. In fact, there are about as many "small" screens (9.8%) as there are "large & xlarge" screens put together (10.5%).

 

Google's definitions:


Small = < 3.5"

Normal is the range around iPhone 5

Large is +4 to 7" 

X-Large = 7-10"

 

So according to Google, your extremely small sample size is not representative of the active installed base hitting Google Play.

 

That's a disingenuous claim and you know it.

 

The Google numbers did not break down as you describe. They had OVERLAPS in thresholds at critical sizes. By their count, SOME 4.5" screens were counted as "Large" while OTHER 4.5" screens were counted as "Normal" (insert "WTF?!" here). That obviously invalidates the entire report, as there's no way to know if the "normal" range was populated with mostly 3.9" devices or mostly 4.9". For all we know from that report, there may be millions and millions of phones between 4.5 and 4.9 inches that were not counted as large.

 

Bottom line: Google's report tells us nothing useful. We still have no idea how many "bigger phones" are actually out there and/or what percentage of the whole they make up.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Another Apple supplier cites slipping demand from its 'largest customer'