or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung on Galaxy S4 storage complaints: Go buy an SD card

Samsung on Galaxy S4 storage complaints: Go buy an SD card - Page 4

post #121 of 131
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So you buy this 16GB SD Card for $10. Good for you. Now what? It doesn't work well on Android-based devices since you can't use it for apps,

I have 200+ apps and they take < 4GB. I know there are apps which take a lot of apps, but most of them not.

Quote:
 you need to manage the card,

What?

Quote:
 and it's slow as those that cal other sheep for making sound financial decisions.

Its speed is more than enough for the intended application. Listening to music, watching videos, recording HD videos and photos.

Quote:
 The only good news is that the average Android user isn't using 4.x so they'll be able to use their SD Card for apps.

Aren't we talking about S4 which comes with 4.2?

Quote:
As for your other poorly conceived notions I'll try to explain this as clear as possible but it's a bit abstract as one will have to look at the bigger picture to understand. First don't think of each iPhone model as a single entity. Think of the product line. Apple isn't charging you $100 for just the additional storage, they are charging you based on many criteria.

For instance, how many they manufacturer, how many they can sell at various tiers, etc.

It's quite possible that the display that would make it in the low-end iPhone 5 won't make it into the high-end iPhone 5.

Are you saying 16G iphone 5 has a poorer display than 32G iphone 5? Or am I mistaken?

post #122 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

The galaxy s series smartphones with the much hyped amoled display suffers from colour accuracy.  What does this translate to the camera experience?  I wonder all those reviewers have ever really taken a picture using the phone and viewed on the phone?

How does display quality affect camera quality?

post #123 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post

So on a 16g iPhone users get about 12g storage.   -> Non-issue

On a 16g S4 users get about 9g storage -> Major crisis!

Call me old school.  But in either case if you need more storage, buy a phone with more memory in the first place.

If you bought a wrong size 16g iPhone and you fill it up- spend $100 and bring it to Apple and its a 32g iPhone

You can do that?

post #124 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Wait what, so if I buy a 16Gb iPhone and then I fill that up I should be able to demand an iPhone with a larger capacity? The Music, and extra apps can be deleted from the Samsung S4 leaving the user with 13GB of space, my husband just got one. This is a none issue . You can also flash the S4 with a pure Android ROM in 5 minutes and it takes up less then 500 MB of space.

Rubbish, I checked one out of the box at work, the "music and extra apps" take up 845 MB of space 8.20GB free, they are visible in the memory part of settings there was empty space totalling 9.15GB the rest was unaccounted for, not even visible.

13GB Bullshit!

Edit: updated amounts to reported values added photo of S4 screen.
Edited by hill60 - 5/7/13 at 1:59am
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #125 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeiteasy View Post

How does display quality affect camera quality?

It doesn't. He said the "camera experience". You know, as in *snap* "ooh nice shot, but… wasn't that bright blue car more green and faded?"

Oversaturated, color-shifted images do not a great "camera experience" make.

post #126 of 131
Quote:

So you buy this 16GB SD Card for $10. Good for you. Now what? It doesn't work well on Android-based devices since you can't use it for apps, you need to manage the card, and it's slow as those that cal other sheep for making sound financial decisions. The only good news is that the average Android user isn't using 4.x so they'll be able to use their SD Card for apps.

I know this is an old post but did your realize that at the time you wrote this post, 65.9% of Android users were using 4.X+?  Research.  It is your friend.

post #127 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy2shoes View Post

I know this is an old post but did your realize that at the time you wrote this post, 65.9% of Android users were using 4.X+?  Research.  It is your friend.

I could have sworn it was below 50% when I made that post, but if it wasn't mea culpa.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #128 of 131

It's amazing how many people just are not smart enough to figure out how to store anything they want on their ext sd cards. I have a samsung galaxy s4 thw 16gb(really 8gb) left Model). I store apps on mine all the time and any other programs I need to. It takes some work on the phone but it's possible folks.

Just not for everyone.

Jackson

"Parternership for an idiot free planet"

post #129 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson48 View Post

Just not for everyone.

That'll work as a tagline:

SD Card on Android.
Just not for everyone.
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
post #130 of 131
Quote:

I could have sworn it was below 50% when I made that post, but if it wasn't mea culpa.

77% now running 4.x... except, that's kind of a misleading statistic.

That sounds nice and unified, right? But actually that's a number divided across 3 major "named" releases (Ice Cream Sandwich, Jellybean and KitKat) and 6 point release versions (notable because all the versions prior to 4.3 are still in the double digits).....  4.1 is the largest contingent with 35% of the platform.

Here, from about a month ago....  http://androidandme.com/2014/01/news/google-posts-fresh-android-distribution-stats-jelly-bean-and-kitkat-usage-on-the-rise/

It's interesting that there's still 22% using 2.x? That's the equivalent of having 1/4 of all iOS users still running v3....! I can't imagine those "smartphones" are actually very smart, eh?

post #131 of 131

Well, just checked my iPhone 5S with 64GB:

Songs: 1,625

Videos: 11 (all full Hollywood films)

Photos: 113

Apps: 52

Total available storage: 22GB

So, definitely not having storage problems.  Of course, that's why I upgraded from 32GB to 64GB in the first place.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung on Galaxy S4 storage complaints: Go buy an SD card