or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung on Galaxy S4 storage complaints: Go buy an SD card

Samsung on Galaxy S4 storage complaints: Go buy an SD card - Page 2

post #41 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

It's time to get make 16GB the new 8GB. Phone operating systems and app stores have matured to the point 16GB is just enough for basic storage.

Manufacturers need to start using 32, 64 and 128GB chips.
Or to compete with laptops 256, and 512 would work.
post #42 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Thunderbolt is about future products, thunderbolt and lightning.

Is it possible for Apple to release (on the near future) a lightning-thunderbolt or lightning-usb3 cable instead of the current lightning-usb2 cable?

post #43 of 131
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
post #44 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What would USB 3.0 do for the iPhone?
I think that will happen this year but I don't think using 8GB for a mobile OS is commonplace. How large is iOS 6.1.4?

I also wonder how many customers actually use these larger capacities. Up until last year I always bought the max but never used it. Now I've gone to the minimum on my iPad and iPhone and it hasn't been an issue.

Well, I'm pushing the 64GB limit on my iPad 3. (Not jail broken. All legit apps and content.) I'm pretty much shuttling content from my MacBook Pro as needed. My entire iTunes library takes 172GB on the Mac, so no, I can't sync it all at once.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #45 of 131
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post
But did you notice the model on the left?

I noticed that it doesn't have a SIX PLUS GIGABYTE OPERATING SYSTEM ON IT, which continues to make your link utterly pointless.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #46 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Is it possible for Apple to release (on the near future) a lightning-thunderbolt or lightning-usb3 cable instead of the current lightning-usb2 cable?

Unless the iPhone internally runs Lightning at higher than USB2 data rates, it's not going to help much, and only serve to create a problem for PC users who lack Thunderbolt (which is most of them). USB gives them the highest level of host compatibility.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #47 of 131

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 7/24/13 at 10:45am
post #48 of 131
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
Unless the iPhone internally runs Lightning at higher than USB2 data rates, it's not going to help much, and only serve to create a problem for PC users who lack Thunderbolt (which is most of them). USB gives them the highest level of host compatibility.

Why not just make a USB 3/Thunderbolt split terminating in Lightning cable like the old USB/FireWire split terminating in Dock Connector cable?

post #49 of 131
Quote:

No problem, happy to help.

But did you notice the model on the left?

You talking about the guy in the tight blue underwear?  No, didn't pay him any attention at all, but I do miss the cute girl that used to be there.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #50 of 131
It's 'technical' way of making money out of microSD card sales. Can't the card be mounted in such a way that it is just an extended volume? May be they are afraid of a crashed OS when someone pulls the card away without un-mounting first.
post #51 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

...and here I thought that compatibility was accomplished via WI-FI and/or Bluetooth. This is a hard thing to grasp, but hooking cables up to a portable device is the last way you want to go.

post #52 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzbk81 View Post

It's 'technical' way of making money out of microSD card sales. Can't the card be mounted in such a way that it is just an extended volume? May be they are afraid of a crashed OS when someone pulls the card away without un-mounting first.

microSD cards are slow as molasses. If you have an app on there expect your device to slow down to glacieral speed. The built-in storage is much much faster.

On another point, just adding the extra port for the microSD card slows down the device's execution whether there's a card in their or not. It's just bad HW design.

post #53 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Although one could agree in principle, sort of, you kind of failed to mention they DOUBLE the memory per $100 increment… that's not just a "bump"...

16GB -> 32GB -> 64GB -> 128GB in $100 increments (using iPad as an example).

No-one will argue that Apple prices on RAM have always been on the high side. But I can vouch that it's top-flight memory that will rarely, if ever, have problems.

Not sure if your point is really that valid, but ok...

Apple flash memory is also designed to handle more re-writes than normal flash memory. It was the prime reason behind Apple's purchase of the Israeli company a few years back. One of these days this difference is going to raise its head in the news and then watch the heads come out of the sand.

post #54 of 131

8.5GB free space on a 16GB device? That's fucking ridiculous. I recall I had at LEAST 13.5GB free space on all my new 16GB iPhones. Talk about unoptimized junk software. Also, micro-managing SD storage is not that straightforward. An SD card has limitations compared to external memory. It makes everything from backup, to importing media, to saving things more cumbersome and complicated. On my older Acer Android phone, I was always running out of internal space, could barely install any apps apart from what it came with, and the Sd storage was utterly useless as most apps would not install on it. 

Having HALF your advertised storage as free space is utterly inexcusable. Don't make a fucking 16GB version if you can only manage to have 8GB useable to the user. It shows contempt to the consumer. 

post #55 of 131

Bloated with unnecessary features. Just like Windows.

post #56 of 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

microSD cards are slow as molasses. If you have an app on there expect your device to slow down to glacieral speed. The built-in storage is much much faster.

On another point, just adding the extra port for the microSD card slows down the device's execution whether there's a card in their or not. It's just bad HW design.

None of that is true.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

The nand flash reads and writes in the iPhone 5 at 400MB/s.

That would be technically astonishing.  Source?

post #57 of 131
The fact that you can't install apps onto the SD card is a huge downside. I find 16 GB slightly too small but if I couldn't use the SD for apps I would be quite upset.
I'll stick with Apple
post #58 of 131

Hmm.  

On a Nexus, I've got a couple hundred apps, and they've only taken up 3GB.   So the limit wouldn't hurt for that so much.

However, I'd definitely need an SD card for video and snapshots.  I'm past 14GB for those.

And if I were a new user and filled up the app space with media, I'd be upset.  It should've come with a n SD card.

post #59 of 131

Only 8GB to store apps... for the life of the phone? Is that for real??

post #60 of 131
Quote:

iOs devices use less than 2GB on 16GB devices.

The Nexus 4 with stock Android is said to need only 495MB for it's system files. The bloated OS on Sammy's S4 is of their doing not Google's.

http://www.androidcentral.com/mail-bag-why-does-my-16gb-galaxy-s4-only-have-88gb-space

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #61 of 131

So on a 16g iPhone users get about 12g storage.   -> Non-issue

On a 16g S4 users get about 9g storage -> Major crisis!

Call me old school.  But in either case if you need more storage, buy a phone with more memory in the first place.

If you bought a wrong size 16g iPhone and you fill it up- spend $100 and bring it to Apple and its a 32g iPhone

If you bough a wrong size 16g S4 spend $13 and install a 16g SD card...  Move all your music, pics, and video on to it and you've got app space galore.

That said, even though I actually kind of agree with it, it is a poor PR response from Samsung and if they are going to insist on putting that much of their bloat on the phone, they should offer the S4 at a minimum 32g model.

post #62 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

"73.15(GB) would be available to the user. That additional space, though, couldn't be used to store apps, as Google removed that capability with Android 4.0."

Wow.

Aside from adding in the additional cost for a 64GB SD card (add roughly $50 to the cost of the phone), there's the matter of having enough space for apps. Since about half of my 32GB iPhone is used for apps, and roughly 60% of my 64GB iPad is the same, that sure wouldn't work for me.

This is like saying, "Your laptop ships with 100GB of free HD space, but you can only use 10GB of it for apps. Oh, but half of THAT space is already used by the OS..."

I think a good word to describe this is, maybe, "ludicrous"?

At Microsoft the word is "Surface."
post #63 of 131
Quote:

Thunderbolt is about future products, thunderbolt and lightning.

very, very frightening
post #64 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Hmm.  

On a Nexus, I've got a couple hundred apps, and they've only taken up 3GB.   So the limit wouldn't hurt for that so much.

However, I'd definitely need an SD card for video and snapshots.  I'm past 14GB for those.

And if I were a new user and filled up the app space with media, I'd be upset.  It should've come with a n SD card.

Wouldn't that mean that the mean size of your 200 apps would be 15MB?  That seems really low for a mean size (I could buy it as a median).  Or am I missing something?

post #65 of 131
Well, although my main phone is an iPhone-64 my spare is a huawei ascend p1 with only a small amount of memory and android 4.something and I know for sure it CAN install apps on the sd card as I do it all the time. In fact android even has a nice little "move the app" option in case you installed in the wrong place.
post #66 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Hmm.  

Just trying to understand how this works. So, where/how to you carry your multiple SD cards? Your pocket? Or, does the phone case you use have a pouch for something like that? When you use it, does it stick out?  How many such cards do you carry? Generally what capacity? How do you know what's in what -- i.e., do you keep them labelled? Is this common practice among Androiders, or do they just stick with whatever memory the phone has?

post #67 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post

So on a 16g iPhone users get about 12g storage.   -> Non-issue

On a 16g S4 users get about 9g storage -> Major crisis!

Talk about weird rounding up/rounding down. An iPhone 5 with 16GB has 13.6GB of storage(not 12); the S4 seems to offer 8.5 (not 9). That's 60% more storage on the iPhone compared to the S4.

I'd be pissed if I was an S4 customer.

post #68 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

Apple can sell their upgrades for whatever they want.  But who is the sheep when you can buy a 16 GB sd card for $10.

I'd rather pay the $100 for internal memory that i can use for anything than $10 for an 16GB SD card that won't allow me to keep and run apps from it.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

post #69 of 131
A bit off-topic: Why did Google remove the ability to store apps on the SD card? That makes no sense.
post #70 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzbk81 View Post

It's 'technical' way of making money out of microSD card sales.

How? First, not many brands make phones and microSD cards, second, you can use any brand microSD card in a microSD slot.

Quote:
Can't the card be mounted in such a way that it is just an extended volume? May be they are afraid of a crashed OS when someone pulls the card away without un-mounting first.

No, according to everything I've read, you can't run apps from external cards. However, from an app perspective, I don't think there are a lot of huge apps, most people that need space probably have large media collections, who should also be buying the 32GB or 64GB versions of the S4 instead. Oh, wait, they don't seem to exist.

Still, the much-hyped latest phone has half of its capacity used because the OS partition is 3x to 4x that of what iOS uses, something is very seriously wrong with Samsung's optimization if it's Samsung's fault, but I've read elsewhere that the latest LG & HTC phones suffer similar capacity issues.
Edited by JeffDM - 5/3/13 at 9:09pm
post #71 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Just trying to understand how this works. So, where/how to you carry your multiple SD cards? Your pocket? Or, does the phone case you use have a pouch for something like that? When you use it, does it stick out?  How many such cards do you carry? Generally what capacity? How do you know what's in what -- i.e., do you keep them labelled? Is this common practice among Androiders, or do they just stick with whatever memory the phone has?

I think there's a flaw in the assumption that many users are constantly swapping cards, that's a pretty absurd assumption in my opinion. I imagine someone is doing that, but I don't assume it's commonly done. I think of it as a hard drive expansion, with notebook computers, people don't constantly swap internal hard drives, they just replace the old one with a larger drive, and demote the old one to some other use or just put it into a desk drawer somewhere. This upgrade path is kind of like how I've expanded my camera capacity as much as 16x by simply upgrading the card that's in it. I did similar with my MacBook Pro originally came with 130GB HDD and gave it a 500GB HDD a couple years ago.
Edited by JeffDM - 5/3/13 at 9:13pm
post #72 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvcl View Post

Until Apple supports USB3 for speed, I for one would love having the option of using a micro-SD card on my iPhone.

Wait, the iPhone 5 doesn't transfer items at USB 3.0 speeds? How fast is Lightning?

iTunes Radio - Apple TV with Wifi AC - Gold Anodized Aluminum iPhone - Mac Pro: September - November 2013

iTunes Radio - Apple TV with Wifi AC - Gold Anodized Aluminum iPhone - Mac Pro: September - November 2013

post #73 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So you buy this 16GB SD Card for $10. Good for you. Now what? It doesn't work well on Android-based devices since you can't use it for apps, you need to manage the card, and it's slow as those that cal other sheep for making sound financial decisions. The only good news is that the average Android user isn't using 4.x so they'll be able to use their SD Card for apps.

As for your other poorly conceived notions I'll try to explain this as clear as possible but it's a bit abstract as one will have to look at the bigger picture to understand. First don't think of each iPhone model as a single entity. Think of the product line. Apple isn't charging you $100 for just the additional storage, they are charging you based on many criteria.

For instance, how many they manufacturer, how many they can sell at various tiers, etc. It's quite possible that the display that would make it in the low-end iPhone 5 won't make it into the high-end iPhone 5. Don't be ignorant to the fact that the same component, right down to the model number, can yield very different performance results.

Finally, the most important thing to remember is that Apple (like all for-profit companies) sells at what the market can bear. If it was just $10 for each doubling of NAND then you don't have a $450, $460, and $470 iPhone 5 range, you would more likely be closer to the $630, $640, and $650 iPhone 5 range to meet their margins. Now you have created a problem where Apple doesn't service the lower-end of the market and even in the US the subsidies still cost nearly $300 out of pocket. Now that you've foolishly destroyed that huge segment of the market economics of scale can't work as effectively thus reducing their profit margins which they may make up by increasing the price. You've also pushed nearly everyone to the 64GB model because $20 more to go from 16GB to 64GB is worth it which results in unsold product and completely fucking up the order. Nice job¡

Some apps wont install to the SD card for now. But you can store your GBs of music....pictures home movies. You have to admit....everyone that is saying that Android is hindered by allowing a SD card slot or talking it down.....would PRAISE Apple if they had a micro SD card slot and you could add a 32 or 64 or 128 GB SD card to maximize you phone. Be honest you all know you would....If the IP6 came with with a micro SD card slot i think opinions here would change...... 

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

Tallest Skil:

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

post #74 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think there's a flaw in the assumption that users are constantly swapping cards, that's a pretty absurd assumption in my opinion. I imagine someone is doing that, but I don't assume it's commonly done. I think of it as a hard drive expansion, with notebook computers, people don't constantly swap internal hard drives, they just replace the old one with a larger drive, and demote the old one to some other use or just put it into a desk drawer somewhere. This upgrade path is kind of like how I've expanded my camera capacity as much as 16x by simply upgrading the card that's in it. I did similar with my MacBook Pro originally came with 130GB HDD and gave it a 500GB HDD a couple years ago.

Exactly......I have an SG4...I also have a 32GB SD card in it....I have 6 GB of music on it.....i also have 4 GBs of pictures syncing through DropBox (works like Photo Stream) and 6 GBs of movies on the card as well. 

Tallest Skil:

Tallest Skil:

post #75 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdefender View Post

Wait, the iPhone 5 doesn't transfer items at USB 3.0 speeds? How fast is Lightning?

Lightning is designed to be a highly adaptable and scalable interface, but the USB signalling circuitry on the iDevices don't support USB 3 yet, I think in part because the benefit is minimal. That will change eventually, maybe this fall.
post #76 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

They should change their slogan to:

"The Samsung Galaxy S4
Go Buy an SD card"

"Galaxy S4 - crammed for expansion"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

A bit off-topic: Why did Google remove the ability to store apps on the SD card? That makes no sense.

They can't help it; it's in their DNA
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #77 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Wouldn't that mean that the mean size of your 200 apps would be 15MB?  That seems really low for a mean size (I could buy it as a median).  Or am I missing something?

You are forgetting all the reports indicating the high cost of apps for Android smartphones and reports that Android smartphones aren't really used for anything.
post #78 of 131
Quote:

You make a good point: the new Galaxy comes loaded with a lot of capabilities, while iOS users add those sorts of things through the app store.

But kindly tell us, after you load equivalent apps from the app store, what exactly is the size difference between the pre-loaded Galaxy install and iOS?

Still up to your usual garbage posts I see. The Galaxy S4 does not have that many "capabilities", and most of them are gimmicks (according to all the reviews I've seen). But let's play your stupid little troll game anyway. I picked 12 popular Apps for the iPhone. They are:

Evernote - 38.1 MB

Whatsapp - 11.5 MB

Google Maps - 7.6 MB

Google Translate - 2.3 MB

Google Search (Now) - 20.3 MB

Chrome - 20.7 MB

Camera+ - 24.4 MB

Snapseed - 27.5 MB

Gmail - 16.4 MB

Flipboard - 9.7 MB

Yelp - 18.4 MB

Full Fitness - 28.2 MB

For a grand total of...........225 MB.

So please explain to me how all these "extra capabilities" of the GS4 take up the other several GB's of memory? I'll save you the trouble - it's bloat. Poorly written software that isn't optimized in the slightest.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

post #79 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Why is 15 MB low? As a developer I think that 15 MB is actually a lot to work with. These days developers are getting lazy and don't optimize their code at all. Or they use high-level development tools that come with libraries filled with routines the App doesn't use, but are present in the final version anyway.

I can remember when a full GUI OS didn't even take up 15 MB, let alone any programs that ran on it.

post #80 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Lightning is designed to be a highly adaptable and scalable interface, but the USB signalling circuitry on the iDevices don't support USB 3 yet, I think in part because the benefit is minimal. That will change eventually, maybe this fall.

Lightning is fully peer-to-peer which means that devices at both ends are equals in managing the flow of data. All USB links are master/slave, meaning that only one device has control of the flow of data while the other, the slave, sits there looking stupid most of the time. The advantage of USB 3 over earlier standards is additional channels that are made to look peer-to-peer, although they aren't.  Hence, even if the transfer speeds on paper are the same, the USB link is less efficient and (especially for large transfers of data) slower than Lightning. As a concept, USB is a dead end as all devices today have the power to manage peer-to-peer communications. 

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung on Galaxy S4 storage complaints: Go buy an SD card