or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung returns to targeted anti-Apple ads with latest Galaxy S4 spot

Samsung returns to targeted anti-Apple ads with latest Galaxy S4 spot

post #1 of 174
In a recently released commercial, Samsung once agains sets its sights on Apple's flagship iPhone, pointing out the "inadequecies" of the iOS device while at the same time touting new Galaxy features like Air View.

Samsung Galaxy S4 Ad

The ad, spotted by CNET, shows a clutch of just-graduated teenagers hanging out at a pool party with their slick Galaxy S4s. Also there are stodgy old parents with iPhones, some even carrying the newest iPhone 5, which Samsung tries to portray as a smartphone relic.

The main character, a loquacious grad inexplicably still in his gown, is the host of the party, and viewers are taken through a series of short vignettes showing off the S4's prowess in such a festive situation. For example, ribs are being served, which "are insane," but very messy. Enter Samsung's Air View technology, where a call can be answered with the wave of a hand.

In another scene showing off the S Beam file transfer protocol, a young woman snaps a pic and immediately shares it with her friend. A mother asks for a copy, but is chagrined to find out that her's "doesn't do that."

Smash cut to two girls poolside, checking out the S4's Drama Shot, which captures consecutive images of a moving scene and stitches them together to form an action sequence in a single frame. In this case a spectacular belly flop, with said flopper once again wearing a cap and gown. Perhaps they were all homeschooled.

Back to the parents who can't share photos by touching their phones together:

"So some smartphones are smarter than other smartphones," the father ponders, almost introspectively. He's setting up for the big reveal.

"Exactly," the one-with-the-times girl says. A hint of sarcasm.

"Well what are we doing with these phones," he asks, holding up his iPhone. There it is.

Snap to the main character. What really sells it for the "dude's" dad is the Galaxy's remote control capabilities. Once he sees that feature, he totally gets why the recent graduates are belly-flopping into his pool wearing full cap and gown regalia. He even chuckles. He's in.

While the latest TV spot isn't as churlish as previous Samsung commercials, it still smacks of elitism, which the Korean firm has arguably not yet earned according to the latest U.S. smartphone statistics.
post #2 of 174
I will say some of the Samsung ads do make me giggle. I'll never forget that one with the wife saying goodbye to her husband and she beams him a special movie.
post #3 of 174
Is Samsung trolling their own "user" base? Samsung owners can't be that ignorant; can they?
post #4 of 174
At least Apple hasn't lost the youngest generations, the little kids of us old uncool people who still use iOS
post #5 of 174
I'll take the new iPhone ad over this any day.
post #6 of 174

Yes... Air View.

The solution in search of a problem that is only available on Samsung apps, because no developer with a brain is going to implement features for only a segment of Android.

I weep with envy.

post #7 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While the latest TV spot isn't as churlish as previous Samsung commercials, it still smacks of elitism, which the Korean firm has arguably not yet earned according to the latest U.S. smartphone statistics.

In almost all cases a user with a Samsung phone isn't even near someone with a Samsung phone, or even one with a Samsung phone new enough to do that kind of sharing. 

This reminds me of a MS Surface commercial where everyone has a Surface to throw around. In real life the Surface owner is alone in a corner with his pocket protector and a "Windows 8 for Dummies" book.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #8 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Yes... Air View.
The solution in search of a problem that is only available on Samsung apps, because no developer with a brain is going to implement features for only a segment of Android.
I weep with envy.
Well according to Bloomberg Jony Ive has investigated similar technology. Though if Apple implements some thing like that I trust that they'll actually do it right because it won't be about littering up a spec sheet with tons of half baked features for the tech media to get a hard on about.
Quote:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-01/apple-s-ive-seen-risking-ios-7-delay-on-software-overhaul-tech.html
Longer term, Ive also has shown interest in altering how people control their computers. He has met with makers of gesture technology that lets people navigate their gadgets by moving their hands -- without touching the screen, said a personal familiar with those interactions.
post #9 of 174
That is such an embarrassing ad. They are showing off absolutely pointless features, most of which are already available via apps on iOS anyways. The ones that aren't available are ludicrous anyways... answering your phone with your hand moving in front of it? Um, no thank you... how many accidental calls would you end up picking up that way? The Android platform is so terrible that it has come down to touting these atrocities as advantages? Of course they don't mention the viruses, malware, freezes, security breaches, and crashes on the Android platform. They also don't mention that you can never upgrade your OS nor that your privacy is squelched every time you download an app. They don't mention the inferior camera nor the inferior display nor the inferior hardware nor the inferior materials nor the inferior user experience. They also don't have the superior Apple ecosystem that syncs your Mac, iPhone, and iPad together. They don't mention the lack of iMessage -- a truly indispensable tool, nor the inferior apps available for Android (not to mention the MUCH SMALLER NUMBER of apps available), nor the lack of the high-quality FaceTime video chats. I'd like to see an ad that actually talks about all of that. Or, I'd much rather have the wonderfully sentimental and beautiful new iPhone ad that came out last week.
post #10 of 174
"In another scene showing off the S Beam file transfer protocol, a young woman snaps a pic and immediately shares it with her friend.

Edited by GTR - 5/3/13 at 2:38pm
post #11 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

In almost all cases a user with a Samsung phone isn't even near someone with a Samsung phone, or even one with a Samsung phone new enough to do that kind of sharing. 

This reminds me of a MS Surface commercial where everyone has a Surface to throw around. In real life the Surface owner is alone in a corner with his pocket protector and a "Windows 8 for Dummies" book.

Or the Zune...

Still, this is all aspirational stuff and its well done. Its the Siri ads done with a touch of 'I'm a PC', but targeted pretty squarely at 20 - 30 yo market. I think Samsung carefully studied Apple marketing and implemented much of what they found in a different way. I can't really fault it. 

post #12 of 174

"Hey my memory is full"

"Mine too"

"And mine"

"WTF this is supposed to have 16GB"

Turn to "old" people with iPhone's and in whiny voices "Mum, Dad can we have money for memory cards?".

Edited by hill60 - 5/3/13 at 2:52pm
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #13 of 174

What a dumb and unrealistic ad, which is obviously targeting dumb and susceptible consumers.

I bet that many of the actors and actresses in that ad actually use iPhones, just like many of the paid celebrities that have been caught red handed recently.

post #14 of 174

Can't wait for S-Smell, the next big thing!

post #15 of 174

No video, didn't happen....

Update:

And now...the video appears....

Edited by icoco3 - 5/4/13 at 1:56pm
post #16 of 174

Every major review that I've read talks about these much-touted features on the S4 as being buggy, sucky, and not-ready-for-prime-time.

They're just setting themselves up for lots of returns..... (but lots of shipments).

post #17 of 174
Quote:

Yes... Air View.

I weep with envy.

So, it's come to this.

The first iPhone with its graceful, seamless, capacitive multitouch UI is still a much bigger leap forward than the scraps and leftover "innovations" like Air View. I guess "S View" was already taken.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #18 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Well according to Bloomberg Jony Ive has investigated similar technology. Though if Apple implements some thing like that I trust that they'll actually do it right because it won't be about littering up a spec sheet with tons of half baked features for the tech media to get a hard on about.

Sometimes, less is more. Simpler is better. Focus is better.

Samsung thinks: more is more. Loading up the spec sheet is better. Less feel inadequate.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #19 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett Ruess View Post

At least Apple hasn't lost the youngest generations, the little kids of us old uncool people who still use iOS

Samsung stopped short of calling themselves "The Pepsi Generation."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #20 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'll take the new iPhone ad over this any day.

Seriously. Saw the Apple ad the other night and it looked amazing 1smile.gif))) ill say this again -/ the CAMERA is the most important feature on a phone today -- am certain the new iPhone 5s will be a big step up 1smile.gif)
post #21 of 174
You've got to admit, Samsung is innovating. You can certainly argue that Apple implements ideas in a more elegant, controlled and tight sort of way, but iOS isn't exactly pioneering the way in new ideas lately.

As an Android user myself, I pray that iOS 7 brings NFC capabilities so that technology finally takes off. Android has had it for over a year, but until Apple gets it, it just won't be that wide spread.
post #22 of 174

This "old codger" has to hobble out  this weekend (with his iPhone) and buy a new dishwasher.  Good bet it will NOT be a Samsung!

post #23 of 174
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I hope with a lot of the part of my heart reserved for hating Samsung that BTV*s are invented and Samsung is humiliated,  stigmatizing this feature into back alleys and hourly rate hotels.

*Bumpially Transmitted Viruses

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #24 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by egern View Post

You've got to admit, Samsung is innovating. You can certainly argue that Apple implements ideas in a more elegant, controlled and tight sort of way, but iOS isn't exactly pioneering the way in new ideas lately.

As an Android user myself, I pray that iOS 7 brings NFC capabilities so that technology finally takes off. Android has had it for over a year, but until Apple gets it, it just won't be that wide spread.

According to Wikipedia, Android NFS phones have been out since 2010. With a larger market share, why aren't they driving the standard and why isn't it "taking off"? Why does it take Apple?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_field_communication

Quote:
2010 Samsung Nexus S: First Android NFC phone shown
post #25 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung returns to targeted anti-Apple ads with latest Galaxy S4 spot

Returns? That implies they actually stopped.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #26 of 174
Quote:

I wouldn't say that's accurate. High-end Samsung phones aren't nearly as prolific as iPhones but there are a lot of them. The problem I've found with the social aspects of Samsung phones is that they are more often used by very antisocial people. Of course, that's purely anecdotal on my part (and not at all bias¡) so everyone else's accounts of S-Hitheads (because they're a hit) may be different.

post #27 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

...S-Hitheads (because they're a hit) ....

I love that. I think I'll S-chew 'fandroid' in favor of this one. Thanks!

post #28 of 174
How about a Samsung ad that smacks at the truth....

Samsung as in iCopy

Smartphone
iPad
Mac Air
Passbook app
post #29 of 174
How about a Samsung ad that smacks at the truth....

Samsung as in iCopy

Smartphone
iPad
Mac Air
Passbook app
post #30 of 174
What a ridiculous, misleading ad. Has anyone actually seen videos of reviewers actually trying to use the "air view" bullshit? I have. The guy was making huge fucking motions with his hands, over and over again, to try to scroll to the next photo which worked like 1/5 times. Hovering your finger over something in the same spot for a few seconds to select it is not that easy or intuitive to do either. The S-beam is equally redundant and useless. So instead of taking 2 seconds and just texting the person a photo (or email/FB/instagram/ any other of the million and one sharing options), it's somehow preferable and easier to PHYSICALLY touch your phones together? Why? Oh right, and it has to be a Samsung phone that has that feature, a tiny minority of phones. But hey, it's a "feature", no mater how mind-numbingly idiotic and useless it is, just like all these features, which I very much doubt will be used in any real way by real people.

At least Apple's ads show people using their product in realistic, believable, and real world ways. These ads desperately try to concoct situations in which these proof-of-concept gimmicks actually seem useful, when in reality they're impractical, unreliable, and unintuitive. I'm honestly curious the ACTUAL percentage of people that have ever used the S-beam in real situations. I can't believe it would be a statistically significant percentage. But of course, whether people actually use these features or not is irrelevant for a company like Samsung- as long as they accumulate bullet points and can make snarky ads.
post #31 of 174

Wow it's been that long?  As much as I hate to admit it, it DOES take Apple entering the ring at this point in game.  So many of my friends buy iPhones because they are iPhones.  They have no idea what the competition offers and think that their phone is the best because, again, it's an iPhone.  I know I'm generalizing, not trying to offend anyone.  Whether it's the best phone or not, it's that kind of mentality that leads to revolutionary changes in the way we live (i.e. mobile payments) needing to be driven by a company like Apple with such a devout following and robust marketing campaign.  Retailers and restaurant chains will jump on board right away if they know that all iPhone users in the world now know about NFC capabilities... they won't want to miss that market.  They ignore Android.

Having said that, I have a Galaxy Nexus and use Google Wallet as often as I can, especially in taxis.  Some places have it all set up, including Macy's, McDonalds, Banana Republic just to name a few.  I love the technology, but I get such strange looks when I pay by tapping my phone.  Guarantee that more than half the time, it's the first time the clerk has seen it in action (several have told me that).  Once Apple integrates it and pours marketing dollars into it, everyone will know about it (and everyone will think Apple did something revolutionary, but that's a rant for a different time).  I live in SF too, so I can only imagine that NFC payment opportunities are even more scarce in other parts of the US.

post #32 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Sometimes, less is more. Simpler is better. Focus is better.
Samsung thinks: more is more. Loading up the spec sheet is better. Less feel inadequate.
Seriously. Sure seems Samsung littered up the software with bloatware just so they could claim it was more than an incremental update.
post #33 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

According to Wikipedia, Android NFS phones have been out since 2010. With a larger market share, why aren't they driving the standard and why isn't it "taking off"? Why does it take Apple?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_field_communication

Exactly. If Android is the better platform and has more market share why does it require Apple for NFC to take off?
post #34 of 174
the funny part is some features have been available on the iPhone for years. Bump is just one app with functionality like S beam. It only been out since 2011. The current version even works with computers too.
post #35 of 174
Bump even works on any IOS device supporting at least version 4.3
post #36 of 174
Quote:

Not to mention, the very free, and very popular iOS app, Bump, lets you do this, too. It isn't even an exclusive feature. And it works with all iPhones (4.3+), Android phones (2.2+) AND computers!!

post #37 of 174
Quote:

Yes... Air View.

I weep with envy.

AirView is cool for answering the phone without touching it, but I don't see much use for it past that.  Built in IR is nice.

The unfortunate thing is that it runs Android and Android has a lot of problems with it.

post #38 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Built in IR is nice.

It would have been a great feature for an iDevice in the last decade. Apple could have had a kick ass Universal remote but I think they see IR as being too archaic and limited despite its ubiquity. Now that we have new BT profiles that seem ideal for remote controls I think that's something we'll see moving forward for high-end devices. Well, once Apple makes it a reality anyway.

post #39 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

Not to mention, the very free, and very popular iOS app, Bump, lets you do this, too. It isn't even an exclusive feature. And it works with all iPhones (4.3+), Android phones (2.2+) AND computers!!

Bump has been available since the original iPhone app store in 2008 (?), IIRC. I used once because it seemed cool. Never used it again.

post #40 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCProfessor View Post

What problems? I find Jellybean more stable than my daughter's iOS on the IP5. I've never had an issue or a problem in almost 2 years. And I'm not a paid spokesman.

What exactly is unstable about iOS? I dont' mean annoying, not to your liking, stupid... whatever.

Unstable= ???

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung returns to targeted anti-Apple ads with latest Galaxy S4 spot