or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung returns to targeted anti-Apple ads with latest Galaxy S4 spot
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung returns to targeted anti-Apple ads with latest Galaxy S4 spot - Page 4

post #121 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Where do watermarked images of all the gadgets you own go?

 

That can be included in #4. 1wink.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #122 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Where do watermarked images of all the gadgets you own go?

 

Like this one of the IR remote I got for my 3G?

 

 

 

I didn't watermark it.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #123 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Every Samsung advert I've seen so far has at least one, if not multiple occurrences of "whiz-bang" features that the phone has, which they fail to tell anyone was on the iPhone first.  It's purposely misleading.  

 

Did Apple tell everyone that Google Search, Google Maps, voice control, apps, slide-to-unlock, browsers with tap to zoom, and much more existed on smartphones before the iPhone?  Of course not.

 

Quote:
This one for instance has the old dad being amazed that the phone can control the TV,.  Something iPhone has been able to do for years (they also fail to tell you that it ail lonely work if you have a Samsung TV).

 

The remote app works on other brands as well.

 

As for being first, Samsung included a remote control app before the iPhone existed.  I know, because I had a Samsung I-730 with it back in 2005.  See image below.

 

 

Quote:
Any advertiser who puts misleading facts into a commercial should be immediately suspect.  People may not like Apple and may even hate the iPhone, but at least the adverts for the iPhone are honest. 

 

Apple was dinged more than once for advertisements that were misleading about how quickly or easily something was done.

 

Quote:
One of the oldest and first rules of commerce … "Don't buy from a seller who dissembles."

 

Two words:  Steve Jobs.

post #124 of 174
Originally Posted by igriv View Post
No, it doesn't. This is not a pro-Apple site, but a site for people who are interested in thing related to Apple (including Apple itself).

 

So I could go to any of various Android sites and just lie through my teeth about the platform and related products, eh? You'd be fine with that?

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #125 of 174
Originally Posted by igriv View Post
No more than I am fine with you doing it here. To be precise, what I am not fine with is not your lying (since 99.9% of your posts have no content, it is hard to detect a factual error or a lie), but your bullying of anyone who you disagree with (such as [but far from only] calling them liars). You are also a coward, since if you were in the habit of bullying people like this to their faces, you would probably be down to your last tooth, but here you hide behind the cover of anonymity, which makes your behavior that much worse.

 

If by 'bully' you mean 'present fact in the face of lies', then okay.

 

Also, no, I've no fear in telling someone they're wrong to their face.


Originally Posted by SCProfessor View Post
Ease up guys. There are too many other first world problems to solve.

 

Like how large to make the next Galaxy to make it "relevant". 1tongue.gif

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #126 of 174
Originally Posted by SCProfessor View Post
Well I'll give this to you, you sold your soul to the company store.

 

I'd like to visit there sometime. Not in the mood for an Apple pen or ball cap or whatever else they sell only there, but it'd still be neat to see the stuff.

 

Anyway, I like the company, I'm here, and I'll correct lies when I see them. If that's "selling one's soul", there's not much that wouldn't be.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #127 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post


No, it doesn't. This is not a pro-Apple site, but a site for people who are interested in thing related to Apple (including Apple itself). There does not have to be any pro- or con-, simply useful information and discussion. The cultists really poison the dynamics, and TS is one of the worst cultists.

Do you read the editorials? Do you see anti-Apple stories here (except when quoting others)?

Posters like you are the bane in this site, with your relentless trolling.
post #128 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCProfessor View Post

Well I'll give this to you, you sold your soul to the company store.

So what? Why should that bother you?
post #129 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

 

Some people prefer the iPhone and others prefer the Galaxy -- I certainly don't know which phone is better, but I can see people liking either one. My experience is that iOS has its share of stability problems -- the updater frequently hangs, and is impossible to unhang (the only way seems to be to delete the hung updates, and to reload the apps from scratch) -- really annoying, since I have several a lot of apps, and doing this by hand is a nightmare (and a frequent one). iMessage sometimes eats messages. Some of the apps I use crash every time I use them. Others never do. I have never ever had an app crash on an android device, but my sample size is a lot smaller. I have never had malware on either iPhones or Androids. Perhaps because I neither jailbreak nor sideload (although the fact that Apple has never sold a truly unlocked device has made the decision to not jailbreak a difficult and expensive one -- all of my android devices are fully unlocked).
 
Just one man's experience.
 

Just one man's experience that has no clue as to tech and should stay with his Wall Street BS, keep on trucking to mediocrity.  You are very good at being assimilated.

iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
Reply
iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
Reply
post #130 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrother24 View Post


No they can't be that iGnorant.. iGnorant is reserved for people with devices defective by design by a certain fruit company :-)

 

Apple's success has evoked more and more banal responses like this. Guess we should be pleased in a backhanded kind of way.

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #131 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

As for being first, Samsung included a remote control app before the iPhone existed.  I know, because I had a Samsung I-730 with it back in 2005.  See image below.

 

 

Who said anything about first?

 

I had a Nokia that was doing it in 2002.

 

Maybe Samsung's marketers want to give this impression using the stupid, easily impressed old fart in the ad.

 

You should see all the fine print in the S4 ads airing in Australia, shortened sequences and artistic renditions accompany virtually every shot, they stand out like dog's balls on a 55" TV.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #132 of 174
Originally Posted by bigbrother24 View Post
Yes, sometimes "succes" evokes emotion.. Like when the north Koerans, and boston-nuts have "success".. Sometimes even companies who make dumb-ass products and try too f-ck with freedom and fair competition, Like Apple, evoke hateful responses as well :-)

 

Are your genitals stimulated now? Got your kicks?

Get off our website.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #133 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrother24 View Post


Yes, sometimes "succes" evokes emotion.. Like when the north Koerans, and boston-nuts have "success".. Sometimes even companies who make dumb-ass products and try too f-ck with freedom and fair competition, Like Apple, evoke hateful responses as well :-)

 

Had to unblock this... to see the post, thanks TS. North Koreans, B(b)oston-nuts and Apple. I wrote 'banal responses', like yours, not 'emotional'. Disgusting...

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #134 of 174
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post
…B(b)oston-nuts…

 

What company's based in Boston, anyway? Or maybe I'm missing something since he mentioned North Korea. 

 

Let's see, North Koreans are indoctrinated, he's claiming Apple users are, but… Boston? I don't get it.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #135 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

What company's based in Boston, anyway? Or maybe I'm missing something since he mentioned North Korea. 

 

Let's see, North Koreans are indoctrinated, he's claiming Apple users are, but… Boston? I don't get it.

 

He(?) just picked headline subjects I believe, with 'boston-nuts' probably referring to the bombers.

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #136 of 174
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post
He(?) just picked headline subjects I believe, with 'boston-nuts' probably referring to the bombers.


That's low.


Originally Posted by rajkumar View Post
Apple has to change their way of testing their hardware and software because YouTube is full of Apple blunders 

 

No, they don't. No, YouTube isn't a valid example of anything.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #137 of 174
Originally Posted by rajkumar View Post
Lol noo r u out of you mind all of thoses videos at my mine I have 5 apple devices and out the 5 I have problems with 4 thats my MacBook pro retina my with image Bunin, iPad with retina (((i cant play fruit ninja)))and that's the iPad I bought last week!!! That has the mail problem

 

One person having problems ≠ Apple needs to reevaluate their hardware and software testing.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #138 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

 

Unlocked and contract free ATT iPhone or unlocked and contract free Verizon iPhone or unlocked and contact free Sprint iPhone. Try  using one of these on Vodaphone in the UK or Deutsche Telekom in Germany (and yes, I tried). 

 

You are lucky to not have problems with the updater (or maybe you only update over WiFi -- the lockups happen when the phone moves during an update to a different modality.

 

You are also lukcy about the OS not crashing. Mine has required a hard reset a couple of times (as suggested by Apple technical support, which IS quite good). And "my device" is any one of four iPhones and five iPads. I guess I can rent a truck and take them all in.

 

It's because the different carriers you list are supporting different systems entirely! GSM, CDMA etc… Is there another handset somewhere that will work "cross platform" like that? A truly global and universal handset? I don't know of one...

 

So, of course, if you brought your VERIZON phone to Europe expecting to use that CDMA phone on a GSM system, then no… it wouldn't work. Not because it isn't "unlocked", but because it's incompatible. Like trying to run iOS software on an android handset, or OSX software on a Windows box.

 

I have used my unlocked GSM (originally AT&T) iPhone all over Europe AND Eastern Europe using the MOST common carriers there (they are the most common because GSM is preferred pretty much everywhere there and all over Asia as well).

 

Do you understand how cellular networks actually work? Different carriers have different systems (GSM, CDMA, LTE), that aren't compatible with each other. A phone supporting one range of GSM / LTE won't typically work on a CDMA system. It isn't APPLE that "isn't making a truly unlocked phone". It's that they aren't making a "truly universal" system-agnostic phone. That could be coming, but no-one has one yet that I'm aware of. It's prohibitively expensive and battery-draining.

 

Again you mention "The Updater" and again, I don't know what you're referring to. iTunes? The App Store app? I still use iTunes on my iMac to update apps, then sync those to my devices… sometimes I update directly from a device, using the App Store app… if I have to change location in mid-download, the downloads pause. It's just a matter of re-initiating them when I've got a WiFi signal again.

 

It's a feature not a bug. If you initiate a download using WiFi, and leave the range of that WiFi in mid-download, iOS doesn't assume you want to automatically switch and continue using your cell data for the download, which might be metered and cost money to use. So it stops. It may be possible to change that behavior in settings.

 

There are two ways to resume downloads. One is to simply double-tap the "paused" app icon (I believe this will resume the download for that and all other "queued" apps). The other way is to use the App Store "updates" tab. That allows you to resume your updates all at once, and it will start with any that are already in progress. It isn't an arduous "one at a time" manual process at all.

 

Yes, I mentioned that I also had a couple of occasions (over the 6+ years I've been using iOS) where the device 'crashed' (required a hard reset). Both were attributable to poorly behaving 3rd party apps.

 

So, your previous implication of "happens all the time" or frequently, is now "a couple of times" across 9 iOS devices…..? With your experience partly due to clear ignorance of how it's meant to function?

 

I believe this is a case of "Much Ado About Nothing", combined with "you doth protest too much"………..

post #139 of 174
Why is it that ALL Android, Windows, or Blackberry ads always say, "screen images simulated"?? Apple never does that...

This is just another ad for the uninformed, which is Samsung's user base...
Dr
Pepper
Crew
Reply
Dr
Pepper
Crew
Reply
post #140 of 174
Originally Posted by LMGS View Post
Why is it that ALL Android, Windows, or Blackberry ads always say, "screen images simulated"?? Apple never does that...

 

There's a modern eSurance (e-surance? Esurance?) ad that has an Android device displaying an iOS interface.

 

They're simulated because the reality wouldn't sell! lol.gif

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #141 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

This ad remind me of this:

 

 

Man, I sure do miss those ads…  why do you suppose they ever stopped making them?

post #142 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Welcome to AppleInsider forums.

Please limit your interactions with others to:

1. personal attacks

2. accusations of bias

3. spontaneous expressions of allegiance to your corporate tribe of choice

4. list of gadgets you own

5. concern for your ideological opponents' status or marketshare

6. logical fallacies

7. rhetorical arguments

 

Remember folks, every post that encourages reciprocal posting helps AppleInsider make cha-ching. Keep those ad impressions up!

 

'Limited Interactions'? 'Limited Interactions'?!? We don' need no stinkin' 'limited interactions'!!!

post #143 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

 

Nope. Sometimes it works. Other times not.

 

 

I feel like that Knight talking to those dim bulbs in Monty Python…

 

"How do you KNOW she is a witch?"

 

"She LOOKS like one!" "She turned ME into a NEWT!  … um …  I got better…"

 

 

OK now listen carefully. It isn't just "failing". Most of this is CLEARLY "operator ignorance". All of these "events" very likely share a common pattern that is not so grossly oversimple as "sometimes yeah, sometimes no… *drool"

 

"Sometimes it works". Yes… probably at the point it has actually started to download, and when you leave the network in mid-download it switches to say "paused" under the app icon. Tapping it will certainly work.

 

"Other times not". When I update my apps using the App Store app, sometimes there can be quite a few (say, a dozen or more) needing to be updated. When I set that in motion (tap the "Update All" button). iOS queues all the apps for update (puts an empty "progress bar" under their icons), but it DOESN'T start downloading all of them simultaneously. It does them one at a time (or three at a time depending on your settings? I haven't checked this in awhile). 

 

If you leave the WiFi area in mid-download, ONLY the apps actually downloading (showing some progress in the progress bar) can be "resumed" by tapping them (those are the ones actually "paused"). The ones just "queued" will revert to normal, without a progress bar. 

 

To resume ANY of those, just re-open the App Store app, select the updates tab, and start the process again. 

 

It really makes sense when you think about/understand it. 

 

Declaring that iOS is unstable, unreliable and flaky because you don't understand how it works is… kind of silly, don't you think?

 

"And what floats?"

 

"Wood?" "Very small rocks!"


Edited by tribalogical - 5/5/13 at 12:20pm
post #144 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajkumar View Post

Apple has to change their way of testing their hardware and software because YouTube is full of Apple blunders 
Like 
Mail bug on iOS 6.1.3
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tz_QIr0ujXM

Ipad 4 screen glitch 
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=We2mQhU9TxQ

And the biggest the MacBook pro retina image burin  
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MDkuGwzVEt4

 

ri-i-i-ight….

 

and you work for… who, exactly?


Edited by tribalogical - 5/5/13 at 12:48pm
post #145 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

 

Does it mean that Apple's screen images are NOT simulated, or that Apple doesn't trouble to say that (I assume that the reason they ARE simulated is that direct screen shots would look terrible due to aliasing problems).

 

If they are simulated screens, they are required by law to declare that using a disclaimer.

 

I shoot video of iOS devices in action all the time with no "aliasing" or moire problems at all.

 

Bad assumption on your part, at least where Apple devices are concerned… I can't vouch for the others.


Edited by tribalogical - 5/5/13 at 1:02pm
post #146 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

 

I did NOT say that iOS is unstable, merely that it is not bulletproof. As for the updater, again, you don't think I have tried? And no, there is no way to turn this behavior off in the settings, even if I do have a 20GB LTE data plan, and really don't care about the data usage.

 

Excuse me? I quote you: "My experience is that iOS has its share of stability problems…"

 

OK, let's split semantic hairs… it's true you didn't use the word "unstable". But "has its share of stability problems" sure sounds like you are saying it is NOT stable (aka "unstable")... 

 

Because you qualify that with this (emphasis mine): "...the updater FREQUENTLY hangs, and is IMPOSSIBLE to unhang (the only way seems to be to delete the hung updates, and to reload the apps from scratch) -- really annoying, since I have several a lot of apps, and doing this by hand is a nightmare (and a frequent one)."

 

"A frequent nightmare". It's interesting that you don't mention the SPECIFIC caveat that this happens "when leaving a WiFi network in mid-download". You make it sound like a consistent and major flaw in the OS, then back pedal like crazy when called on it. (And you wonder why people are labeling you a "troll" here?)

 

 

Honestly? When you say, "delete hung updates and reload apps from scratch", I need to ask, seriously… what on EARTH are you doing?? How are you going about this?  And "doing this by hand with a large number of apps is a nightmare"… I'm dumbfounded by the level of … I don't know what to call it… but trust me, something is not right in your world. Believe me when I tell you, based on everything you write here, I can only assume two things: either you are a) Making this stuff up  or b) One of those people who really REALLY needs to take a class in iOS basics...

 

And you STILL haven't answered my three-times-asked question: What is this "THE UPDATER" you keep referring to? The way you SPEAK ABOUT the process indicates to me you have never actually EXPERIENCED it, at least, not as it is intended...

 

 

Finally, dude, if you actually have a 20GB LTE plan, then why are you starting your downloads using WiFi if there's ANY chance you will leave the network in mid-download? Also, WHY are you doing this "frequently" as implied by your description of the problem?

 

Things really aren't adding up here.

post #147 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

 

If they are simulated screens, they are required by law to declare that using a disclaimer.

 

Good info. And all this time I thought it was only to cover their butts in case of a lawsuit. Where can I find this law? Is it a Federal one?

 

Edit: I did come across an article at the Next Web showing where Apple simulated a Star Trek movie image in an iPad ad but didn't identify it as such. I wonder if it's more an ethics thing rather than required by law.


Edited by Gatorguy - 5/5/13 at 1:24pm
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #148 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajkumar View Post

Lol noo r u out of you mind all of thoses videos are of my devices, I have 5 apple devices and out the 5 I have problems with 4 thats my MacBook pro retina my with image Bunin, iPad with retina (((i cant play fruit ninja)))and that's the iPad I bought last week!!! That has the mail problem

 

You ID "weird glitches" and "problems"…? I watched your videos, and they really are comical. 

 

Here's one you should try on your iPad. Be sure and record it.

 

Hit it with a hammer a few times. When the display shatters, call it the "hammered display glitch"… it' make about as much sense as your "diagonal scrolling glitch" and your "undeleted account" glitch…. 

 

You say you have 5 apple devices and 4 of them have these problems, and that's YOUR macbook pro with the image "Bunin", but the video is shot in a Apple Store! Yours. Really. Since ALL of those are being shot in Apple Stores, I wonder… why not at home?

 

So you're in the habit of trolling Apple Stores with a video camera, showing ghosting on a static display demo, and calling it a 'major problem'? 

 

I'm sorry, but you just haven't earned the self-declared "Apple Genius" title that you promote yourself under.

 

Move along now, nothing to see here...

post #149 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

This ad remind me of this:

 

 

Man, I sure do miss those ads…  why do you suppose they ever stopped making them?

My guess is that Apple lacks the testicular fortitude under new management. Too much "Mr. Nice Guy." Hope that changes.

post #150 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

 

Good info. And all this time I thought it was only to cover their butts in case of a lawsuit. Where can I find this law? Is it a Federal one?

 

Ultimately, it IS to cover their butts from being sued for misrepresentation. Because rules against "false or misleading advertising" are written into law, and so these "legal disclaimers" are used to sidestep any problems. If a screen is simulated (because it might not be possible to exactly duplicate what you see on camera), the manufacturer declares it in a disclaimer because not to do so could result in a violation of those advertising laws.

 

I'm not 100% certain that the laws specify 'screen simulation', or even say specifically "thou shalt disclaim when simulating", but these things certainly fall within their scope.

 

It's a funny thing, the law. It can be quite inclusive, without being line-item specific.

 

Oh, and I'm not sure what the 'jurisdiction' is. I assume our "truth in advertising" laws are federal?

post #151 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

 

Does it mean that Apple's screen images are NOT simulated, or that Apple doesn't trouble to say that (I assume that the reason they ARE simulated is that direct screen shots would look terrible due to aliasing problems).

 

If they are simulated screens, they are required by law to declare that using a disclaimer.....Bad assumption on your part....

This is typical of his posts. Don't feed.

post #152 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Edit: I did come across an article at the Next Web showing where Apple simulated a Star Trek movie image in an iPad ad but didn't identify it as such. I wonder if it's more an ethics thing rather than required by law.

Cite?

 

Does the article say Apple does that sort of thing often?

post #153 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

 

Ultimately, it IS to cover their butts from being sued for misrepresentation. . . 

Oh, and I'm not sure what the 'jurisdiction' is. I assume our "truth in advertising" laws are federal?

Thanks fro the reply and clarification. the way you originally wrote it made it sound like there was a law against using simulated images without a disclaimer. That would seem to make a whole lot of restaurant and other food ads illegal.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #154 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Cite?

 

Does the article say Apple does that sort of thing often?

No, it didn't say it was a common occurrence, just a single example. I didn't bother with the link as the author clearly didn't care for Apple, but if you want it anyway no prob.  Ignore the tone tho and look at the images posted as evidence.

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2010/07/06/is-apple-cheating-in-ipad-commercials/

 

EDIT: Apparently there are a couple of other instances. Some Apple "screen shots" showing Flash images on an iPad were plainly simulated tho not identified as such. There was also an Apple promo video that showed Flash content, which would obviously not be real.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/01/ipad-flash/

 

An explanation from their advertising agency, Chiat/Day Media, said that "they make fake optimized web pages for all of Apple’s commercials which load faster. In this case they made optimized images to take the place of Flash".  


Edited by Gatorguy - 5/5/13 at 3:07pm
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #155 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

 

So you're in the habit of trolling Apple Stores with a video camera...

 

It's a phone using some crappy .3gp format.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #156 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

 

If they are simulated screens, they are required by law to declare that using a disclaimer.

 

I shoot video of iOS devices in action all the time with no "aliasing" or moire problems at all.

 

Bad assumption on your part, at least where Apple devices are concerned… I can't vouch for the others.

According to Apple's ad agency webpage images in Apple ads are always simulated since the faked pages will load faster. Makes sense and it's probably common to all the other tech ads from other companies.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #157 of 174
Samsung will always try. It's Apple's design simplicity that draws many people.

I bet most of the actors in the spot actually use iPhones.
post #158 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Edit: I did come across an article at the Next Web showing where Apple simulated a Star Trek movie image in an iPad ad but didn't identify it as such. I wonder if it's more an ethics thing rather than required by law.

 

I've seen that article too, and in that case I wonder if it could have ever been sued against as a "misleading or false advertisement"? I think probably not. And so that's where the line is drawn, and how it's applied in the law. If a display is being represented as photo-crisp in its details, but it's actually a low-res VGA screen, and no disclaimer is there, one might be able to declare 'false advertising' (the disclaimer IS the way to remain 'in line' with the law there).

 

I'm sure Apple uses altered or simulated screens at times (they sometimes say 'sequences shortened' or some such), but it's not designed to mislead about the capabilities of the device. If there's a chance of that, their legal department would advise them to disclaim, if only to prevent running afoul of those laws...

 

The way laws like these are applied, the requirement is typically in the 'spirit' rather than 'the letter' of the law. "Don't use deceptive advertising" is the premise, and if something could be construed as deceptive, if not further qualified, then apply a disclaimer. It isn't so much ethical as avoiding crossing legal limits… but that in itself sort of forces an 'ethical' self-moderating behavior. 

post #159 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This is typical of his posts. Don't feed.

 

I hang my head in shame...

post #160 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Thanks fro the reply and clarification. the way you originally wrote it made it sound like there was a law against using simulated images without a disclaimer. That would seem to make a whole lot of restaurant and other food ads illegal.

 

Yeah, I tend to either oversimplify (as in this case) or else I flog it completely to death… >:D

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung returns to targeted anti-Apple ads with latest Galaxy S4 spot