or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung returns to targeted anti-Apple ads with latest Galaxy S4 spot
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung returns to targeted anti-Apple ads with latest Galaxy S4 spot - Page 5

post #161 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

 

It's a phone using some crappy .3gp format.

 

oooh, Which he needs, um, because he has 5 Apple "devices"…? :rolleyes:

post #162 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

According to Apple's ad agency webpage images in Apple ads are always simulated since the faked pages will load faster. Makes sense and it's probably common to all the other tech ads from other companies.

 

Well there's that fine line… they create "optimized" web pages that will load faster. "Simulated web sites"?

 

That isn't the same as the "Simulated Screen" concept that this thread opened with. In those cases, the video is shot with a 'green screen' in place of the usual content display, and then very nicely presented photos and/or hi-def video is composited over it. 

 

Those are the kinds of shots that completely simulate the entire display experience, and are pretty much required to include a disclaimer (in order to avoid a 'false advertising' suit).

 

I know that Apple uses those "snappier web pages" to appear snappier, and to accommodate the compressed time available in a 30 second ad spot… (thus their disclaimer of "shortened sequences"). 

 

I've worked with both TBWA Chiat Day and Wieden+Kennedy (on Nike and some Apple support work) in Tokyo, and have a fair sense of where the lines are drawn… it's a pretty grey area at times though. But in the case of creating optimized content, disclaimers are usually put aside. Now, if they had ALSO overlaid a hi-res photo image of that web page onto the screen area for a shot, that would have likely included a disclaimer… 

post #163 of 174

I don't understand why any feature that a phone manufacturer adds to their devices is automatically written off as gimmicky. What's the criteria for a gimmicky feature? Any feature that an Android phone has that an iPhone doesn't?

post #164 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

According to Apple's ad agency webpage images in Apple ads are always simulated since the faked pages will load faster. Makes sense and it's probably common to all the other tech ads from other companies.

 

Picture this ad...

 

A hand writing a letter, in the background an iPhone 4 and a Galaxy S4 sit connected to a computer by cables, the phones are blurred, out of focus, so you can't really see it's an S4 but just enough to know it is, there is blurred out KIES software on the computer syncing an iTunes library blurred, indistinct but you know what it is.

 

"Dear Son, I bought a 16GB phone you showed me at your graduation party because you said it was better, why can't I sync the 10GB of music I had on my 16GB iPhone 4?"

 

Fade out to Apple logo and a disclaimer like statement "Nothing simulated"

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #165 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

I don't understand why any feature that a phone manufacturer adds to their devices is automatically written off as gimmicky. What's the criteria for a gimmicky feature? Any feature that an Android phone has that an iPhone doesn't?
No. I'd say its a feature that is put on the phone just for the sake of having another feature on the spec sheet but doesn't add any real value to the customer. Such as waving your hand over a screen to scroll through pictures or pausing a video if you look away from the screen. I hear in many reviews that doesn't work well and even if it did it sounds annoying to me. I don't necessarily want a video to pause just because I look away. I can still listen. If I want it paused I can hit pause. No real value added but another "cool" feature on the spec sheet... Therefore gimmicky feature.
post #166 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by sessamoid View Post

Bump has been available since the original iPhone app store in 2008 (?), IIRC. I used once because it seemed cool. Never used it again.

Yeah, I think my count is right around yours. Better now that you can share stuff other that your contact info, such as files in Dropbox. They had iTunes tracks but had to pull that feature because Apple didn't allow it.

Which I see as the same real world use as S beam.
post #167 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

An explanation from their advertising agency, Chiat/Day Media, said that "they make fake optimized web pages for all of Apple’s commercials — which load faster. In this case they made optimized images to take the place of Flash".

 

Back when the iPhone first came out, and pro-Apple reviewers like Mossberg were still saying that Flash was necessary and on its way, Steve Jobs used to demo the iPhone by using stored websites that had been modified to cover up the missing Flash sections.  

 

The most famous examples were the NY Times and National Geographic front pages, both of which were modified by Apple to remove any Flash-needed indications.  Years later, Jobs would instead show the missing sections proudly, but at first, it was seen as a big negative and he clearly wanted to hide them.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

I know that Apple uses those "snappier web pages" to appear snappier, and to accommodate the compressed time available in a 30 second ad spot… (thus their disclaimer of "shortened sequences").  

 

Yep, the British Advertising Standards Authority made Apple add "sequence shortened" to their UK iPhone ads, which originally showed instant responses without any disclaimer.

 

Even that notice wasn't enough sometimes. Again in the UK, an Apple ad about downloading apps was pulled even though it had the small notice, "Steps removed and sequence shortened. Network speeds may vary."  Basically, the disclaimer was seen as too broad, since the ad's intent was to show how quick and easy buying an app was.  With some steps removed, the sequence was no longer true to life, no matter what speed it was shown at.
 
Apple's also been sued for its Siri ads which make it look fast and infallible.  (To me, that kind of suit puts a damper on deploying new technology.)
 
The point is, every company uses ads that can be considered deceptiive.  Often the trouble boils down to not having enough time to do real demonstrations.  One day perhaps our devices will be fast enough to have short ads that say, "Sequences NOT shortened!"  :)
post #168 of 174

Funny how our preferences effect everything... I was looking at some electronics the other day and completely skipped over the Samsung Model for no other reason than I'm Apple. I'd rather give it to someone who doesn't compete with them.

post #169 of 174
Originally Posted by CustomTB View Post
Funny how our preferences effect everything... I was looking at some electronics the other day and completely skipped over the Samsung Model for no other reason than I'm Apple. I'd rather give it to someone who doesn't compete with them.

 

That's less "preference" and more "you feel wrong giving money to thieves, shysters, extortionists, and colluders". 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #170 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

"Hey my memory is full"

 

"Mine too"

 

"And mine"

 

"WTF this is supposed to have 16GB"

 

Turn to "old" people with iPhone's and in whiny voices "Mum, Dad can we have money for memory cards?".

Hah.

post #171 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

"Hey my memory is full"

"Mine too"

"And mine"

"WTF this is supposed to have 16GB"

Turn to "old" people with iPhone's and in whiny voices "Mum, Dad can we have money for memory cards?".

Or if these were actual android's talking to each other...


"Hey, my memory is full"

"Mine too"

"'Mine too', what?"

"I don't know, my memory is full."

"Mine too."

"'Mine too', what?"

"I don't know, my memory is full."

"Mine too."

"'Mine too', what?"

"I don't know, my memory is full."

"Mine too."

"'Mine too', what?"

"I don't know, my memory is full."

"Mine too."

"'Mine too', what?"

"I don't know, my memory is full."

"Mine too."

"'Mine too', what?"

"I don't know, my memory is full."

"Mine too."

"'Mine too', what?"

"I don't know, my memory is full."

"Mine too."

"'Mine too', what?"

"I don't know, my memory is full."

"Mine too."

"'Mine too', what?"

"I don't know, my memory is full."

"Mine too."

"'Mine too', what?"

"I don't know, my memory is full."

"Mine too."

"'Mine too', what?"

"I don't know, my memory is full."

"Mine too."

"'Mine too', what?"

[...]

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #172 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


Well according to Bloomberg Jony Ive has investigated similar technology. Though if Apple implements some thing like that I trust that they'll actually do it right because it won't be about littering up a spec sheet with tons of half baked features for the tech media to get a hard on about.

I can see some use for the hand wave to answer a phone and such like that but to hold a finger or a stylus off the screen to get some feature is like trying to hold a pencil off a piece of paper to "air" write something and never touch the paper.   Very difficult and tiresome to do.   Why bother.

post #173 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambira View Post

I can see some use for the hand wave to answer a phone and such like that but to hold a finger or a stylus off the screen to get some feature is like trying to hold a pencil off a piece of paper to "air" write something and never touch the paper.   Very difficult and tiresome to do.   Why bother.

 

It has its uses, as shown in the ad.  Moreover...

 

Bloomberg recently reported that "(Jon) Ive also has shown interest in altering how people control their computers. He has met with makers of gesture technology that lets people navigate their gadgets by moving their hands — without touching the screen, said a personal familiar with those interactions.

 

Interestingly, Microsoft was big on the air gesture idea about five years ago.  I recall them doing research on a handheld that used tiny camera chips along the edges instead of a touchscreen.  It could not only recognize screen touches, but air gestures along the front and sides of the device.

 

I've constantly opined that future devices will have multiple input methods, just as humans do, instead of always forcing the same way on everyone.

post #174 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

It has its uses, as shown in the ad.  Moreover...

Bloomberg recently reported that "(Jon) Ive also has shown interest in altering how people control their computers. He has met with makers of gesture technology that lets people navigate their gadgets by moving their hands — without touching the screen, said a personal familiar with those interactions.


Interestingly, Microsoft was big on the air gesture idea about five years ago.  I recall them doing research on a handheld that used tiny camera chips along the edges instead of a touchscreen.  It could not only recognize screen touches, but air gestures along the front and sides of the device.

I've constantly opined that future devices will have multiple input methods, just as humans do, instead of always forcing the same way on everyone.

Right. Microsoft has the kinnect. Lately, things seem to go:

Microsoft has an idea (motion, tablets) and releases a clunky but hey it kinda works model (or OEM)

Someone may try to implement a different approach

Apple releases the tech when it is ready and "perfected"

Everyone but Microsoft copies Apple's approach

Gates/Balmer bash Apples approach

Microsoft copies the Apple approach
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung returns to targeted anti-Apple ads with latest Galaxy S4 spot