or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Windows 8 hits 100 million sales, Microsoft working to address user complaints

Windows 8 hits 100 million sales, Microsoft working to address user complaints

post #1 of 82
Even as Microsoft's Windows 8 reached a milestone in passing 100 million licenses sold, the software giant is preparing to rework its latest operating system in order to address the realities of a drastically changed computing market.

metro

Officials from Microsoft revealed the 100 million sales figure to media outlets last week, but it was only publicly released on Monday, according to Reuters. The sales pace for Windows 8 roughly matches that of Microsoft's successful Windows 7, but observers doubt that the new system is on track to have an impact comparable to the older one.

In the past four months, Windows 8 has sold 40 million units, lower than Windows 7's average sales rate. Windows 7, though, had the benefit of replacing the much maligned Windows Vista. Windows 8, meanwhile, represents Microsoft's attempt to counteract the ongoing popularity of Apple's iPad, even as the PC market that supported Microsoft and its hardware partners looks to be crumbling.

The traditional computing market ? the so-called "Wintel" grouping of Microsoft, Intel, and a collection of PC manufacturers ? suffered its biggest decline ever last quarter, dropping 14 percent year-over-year. A soft global economy, the rise of smartphones and tablets, and a plateau in overall PC design have all played a part in the market's stagnation and decline, but observers also point the finger at Microsoft, whose Windows 8 marked a significant departure from the standard set by the preceding editions.

The touch-centric Modern UI featured in Windows 8 was Microsoft's answer to the rise of iOS and Android, which dominate a mobile device segment where Microsoft has been largely unable to gain traction. Consumers balked, though, at Windows 8's marked difference from its predecessors, especially the move away from a traditional desktop into the Metro UI's tile-based touch environment and the apparent abandonment of the familiar Start button.

Windows 8 also suffered from high component prices in the touch-enabled computers it is meant to power. Microsoft has responded by cutting licensing prices for Windows 8 on some devices, as well as encouraging its partners to develop smaller Windows 8 form factors in order to compete with the iPad mini and other mid-size tablets.

Tablets running Windows 8 combined to grab about 7 percent of the market in the first quarter of last year. Apple's iOS held roughly 48 percent of the market, while Google's Android operating system grew to 43 percent.

The flat consumer response to Windows 8 has been likened to Coca-Cola's launch of New Coke some 30 years ago, notes The Financial Times. Coca-Cola, though, dropped its New Coke formula after only three months of consumer backlash, while it apparently takes longer to turn around a software giant.

Microsoft is trying to turn it around, though: The Redmond giant is preparing a follow-up to Windows 8, currently codenamed Windows Blue. That version, also known as Windows 8.1, is said to include the ability to boot straight to the traditional desktop, largely bypassing the "Modern" environment. Microsoft will be revealing more about the update's functionality in the coming weeks, but for now the company says it will be doing more to help consumers adapt to new features.

""The learning curve is real, and we need to address it," Tami Reller, Microsoft's Windows unit co-head, said to Reuters. "We're not sitting back and saying they will get used to it."
post #2 of 82
Microsoft failed in Windows 8 because they did not create a system in which when you have to install the OS it will recognize if it's a tablet or desktop computer. Instead they just throw in your face the modern UI even if you are using a desktop with not touch functionalety. That makes Windows 8 the second coming of Vista.
post #3 of 82
I wonder how many of those 100 million are still in use?

That would be a *very* interesting statistic.
post #4 of 82
Some simple options around metro and the return of the orb. Easy.

Windows 8 has got some nice improvements but the ms agenda has got in the way with its shop on the metro screen - i suspect thats why metro was included in all pc's - interested to see what they come up with to appease as well as push their fledgling business model.
post #5 of 82

The most important legacy Stevo left us was his obsession with not allowing nerdy programmers to produce crappy SW and clunky interfaces.

One only has to look at windows, android and anything not made by Apple. I'm thinking cable box interfaces, camera interfaces, etc.

MS just doesn't get it. And neither does Google, for that matter! :)

post #6 of 82

I wonder how many of the 100 million were ever put into use.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
post #7 of 82
Still the fastest selling desktop OS but how does that compare with previous Windows launches?

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #8 of 82
That number of sales MIGHT be significant. But note that it's sales of LICENSES. Most of these are not to end users, they're to OEMs such as Dell, ASUS, and Lenovo. That does NOT mean the licenses have been used by the OEMs. They could have bought them in anticipation of a non-existant demand. Alternatively, they could have made units of which tens of millions are in storerooms and languishing, unsold, on sales floors. Still, the number might be impressive. What WILL be impressive, depending upon numbers, is the quantity of actual activations of those licenses which is not reported.

I wonder why?
post #9 of 82
LOL. Reworking the interface; they'll just make that god-awful Metro interface an "option" and bam! Sell like hotcakes as a minor upgrade to Windows 7. There are some better speed improvements and more of moving interface computations to the graphics card -- so it's a faster OS on modern hardware. But bloated. Takes up more than half the storage on a Phone -- and wasn't that a REALLY BAD compromise? Apple created iOS with touch screen and busy minds on a phone as their guide. The ability to do a lot without unlimited resources and storage trickled back to the desktop OS -- not the other way around. Communications, constant save, low power and the ability to deal with latency make things more robust when you cannot assume an app will have everything it needs right away. A lot of the graphics now in Lion are compressed. The OS is actually smaller in the areas where it duplicates what Snow Leopard has done. Eventually I see that they will have iOS as a virtual environment. But Apple is not doing STUPID TOUCHSCREEN TRICKS just because they can. I'm hoping they can keep the sensibility of the computer as a TOOL and not fall prey to "let's make this display data over hear, and move the button over hear and make it look like a turtle -- for fun". My mother cannot find a way to stop her GPS or her "voice command" app once something else has jumped in front of it -- and neither can I. There's no "off switch" on these damn apps. It's cool to say; "find the nearest restaurant" but it's uncool when it starts dialing 911 because someone made a joke about "I'm dying over hear." We need a commercial where someone is constantly interrupted by their phone and starts screaming at it; "Shut up. Turn off you stupid smart phone!" Sam Kennison's zombie comes to mind. Then the actor sets up a simple lever to interrupt the battery as a universal off switch. "Down boy! Sit! Until you learn to behave, no electricity for you!" IT's like an affectionate, easy to please puppy that turns into a large slobbering dog that whines incessantly when you close the bathroom door. That's what we are getting with some of these Smart Phones with featuritis -- and until Microsoft realizes that an OS needs to be a utility and not an obnoxious billboard, they are going to remain a large slobbery mess.
post #10 of 82

I think they're kind of screwed now in that the release of Windows 8 has shown that it was probably a bad idea to blend the touch Windows OS with the regular Windows OS.  Windows RT might have had a chance if it were a stand alone mobile touch based operating system like iOS.  

Worse, they can't even separate the two OS's again to "fix" the problem because their touch based mobile offerings are doing so poorly that if Windows RT were unhitched from "regular" Windows it wouldn't survive on it's own.  They have no other choice now, and no other plan than to run hybridised OS's on hybrid/convertible hardware.  They've made their choice and they can't take it back.  

Unfortunately for them, a tablet that's not quite a tablet, and a laptop that's not quite a laptop doesn't seem to please anyone at all.  

This is one case where MS *should* have copied Apple as they usually do and gone for a full-fledged mobile OS.  For whatever reason they failed to do it.  Big mistake.  

post #11 of 82

you have to be blind and retard to believe that 100 million win8 devices are being used. Maybe 1/10th of that.

post #12 of 82
plovell wrote: "I wonder how many of those 100 million are still in use?"

Excellent question! When we talk about any business/corporate purchases of Windows systems, they come with Windows 8 pre-installed, and they get counted as Windows 8 sales. HOWEVER, and this is a big "however", with that comes the option to DOWNGRADE to Windows 7. And that is exactly what many, many businesses are doing!

AND, FURTHERMORE, some of these new systems don't run so well on Windows 7 because of firmware dependencies on Windows 8 code. SO ... how many of those system owners WISH they could downgrade to Windows 7?

It's amazing how badly MS has screwed this up, and EVEN MORE AMAZING that they aren't the laughing stock or object of pity in this age of technology. Yet, the companies entrenched (buried) with MS and have vested interests in MS technology keep saying, "You've really got to have a glass of this KoolAid ... really ... it's great once you get used to it! And, hey, were making it better all the time!!"

If anyone has evidence to the contrary (about the number of systems being downgraded), PLEASE, point me to that documented evidence.
post #13 of 82

Shipped, not sold to consumers.

post #14 of 82
I refuse to even consider windows 8 until there is a normal start button. My desktop is not a tablet. Don't try and mix them
post #15 of 82

post #16 of 82

I now several people who bought a PC with Windows 8 pre-installed. They hated it and downgraded within weeks. I guess that still counts as a Windows 8 sale though 

post #17 of 82
Originally Posted by Bilbo63 View Post
I guess that still counts as a Windows 8 sale though 

Sadly, as with everyone in the industry that isn't Apple, sales ≠ use share. We need some third party system to tell us just how much of the world is using Windows 8. 

Ironically, Google would probably be best for the job of getting the most accurate numbers, since they can magically insert whatever code they want into their ads, which are everywhere. Just subtract the 2% of worldwide marketshare from their final  tally they'll magically give to Chrome OS and we'd have a pretty good picture.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
post #18 of 82

I run a small website with a diverse audience when it comes to computer platform and browsers.  Here are my stats so far this month for Windows:

Windows 6,592 62.4 %  
Windows XP 1,473 13.9 % hh.png
Windows Vista 725 6.8 % hh.png
Windows NT 6 0 % hh.png
Windows Vista (LongHorn) 304 2.8 % hh.png
Windows 98 7 0 % hh.png
Windows 7 4,046 38.3 % hh.png
Windows 2003 25 0.2 % hh.png
Windows 2000 6 0 %

Notice anything missing?

post #19 of 82
I'm sure that 100 million doesn't include how many people downgraded their machines to Windows 7. I'm a tech guy and I don't know anyone in my circle that runs Windows 8.
post #20 of 82
Channel stuffing (especially the Surface Pro tablet report).

and there was a last burst of actual purchases before the W8 introductory sales prices ended in March.

the next quarterly report - if we get one - will be more indicative of reality. of course MS will blame any slowdown on people waiting for "Blue." will it be a free update do you think?
post #21 of 82
Windows 8 is so hard to navigate. There are NO menus that are useful nor are the menus easy to make appear; and the lack of direct access to your desktop is so frustrating; back to Window 7 for me
post #22 of 82
Wonderful comments, some of them downright insightful, especially christopher126, fake_william_shatner, and gazoobee. I couldn't agree more.
post #23 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by plovell View Post

I wonder how many of those 100 million are still in use?

That would be a *very* interesting statistic.

Yeah, active users vs sales are two different things since people might have bought it, installed it, then went back to an older OS.

I wonder how many people have bought a new desktop that came with a touch screen and Windows 8 and then just re-installed Windows 7 that they had on their other computer?

100 Million is about 10% of Microsoft total user base.  10% in about 6 months?  Is that a good adoption rate?

post #24 of 82

Think of it this way.

IF, Microsoft got 10% adoption rate in 6 months, that means, that if that adoption rate stays constant, which it rarely does, then they would have 20% after a year, and it would take 5 years to get 100%.  But Microsoft has never had 100% adoption of an OS in 5 years, EVER. 

So, what percentage of users is Microsoft going to have when a new major release comes out?

I think Windows 8 might get MAYBE 50% adoption after 5 years and that's because XP support goes away next year, Vista support goes away in 2017, and Windows 7 support goes away in 2020. 

I think what might happen is that Windows users might stay flat as more users switch to OS X and Windows just keeps flat due to normal OS growth due to increased in number of computer users.  Apple does get a certain percentage of switchers every year and it's conceivable that Apple might get 10 to 15% of the current Windows users to switch to OS X over the next few years.

post #25 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I'm sure that 100 million doesn't include how many people downgraded their machines to Windows 7. I'm a tech guy and I don't know anyone in my circle that runs Windows 8.

The only computer I've ever seen outside a store was a Surface tablet that someone left at an In N Out restaurant I turned in, but I don't know if it was a Surface Pro or RT, because I really didn't pay much attention.  I think it was a RT model and that's the ONLY new Windows computer I've ever seen outside of a store.  Oh, I did see a Mac user trying to install Windows 8 on a MacBookPro. but that's it. Everyone else i know uses Windows (yeah, I know its a dinosaur) and Windows 7.  Other than that, I haven't SEEN any Windows 8 users other than on YouTube.

It's pretty sad. oh well, nothing that I really have to worry about.

So, anyone know what's up with OS X 10.9?  Can't wait to see what they do with it....  Anyone????

post #26 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pixelshigh View Post

I run a small website with a diverse audience when it comes to computer platform and browsers.  Here are my stats so far this month for Windows:

Windows 6,592 62.4 %  
Windows XP 1,473 13.9 % hh.png
Windows Vista 725 6.8 % hh.png
Windows NT 6 0 % hh.png
Windows Vista (LongHorn) 304 2.8 % hh.png
Windows 98 7 0 % hh.png
Windows 7 4,046 38.3 % hh.png
Windows 2003 25 0.2 % hh.png
Windows 2000 6 0 %

Notice anything missing?

So these numbers are based on what users go to your site?   Is your site geared towards professionals, kids, or general population?  Just curious as to what types of users are more inclined to visit your site in the first place.  Do you have any information as to the age demographics?  Just curious.

post #27 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Still the fastest selling desktop OS but how does that compare with previous Windows launches?

Fastest selling in terms of just numbers sold?  Previous versions of Windows didn't always have a dirt cheap introductory price like they did with Windows 8.  When Windows 7 came out, people were still reeling from the Vista mess as people were leery at first of Windows 7, Microsoft also tried to pull a fast one as they tried to coerce people into buying trying to get rid of XP a lot sooner before people complained and they extended the life of XP,etc. So Microsoft got a lot of Windows 7 users when they tried to off XP sooner.

I also think that this adoption rate is more with consumers than corporate customers.  Consumers are more inclined to buy the latest and greatest because it's an easier sale, corporate customers have to do a LOT of testing with their existing environment and typically don't like large deployments without having a firm grasp and testing all of their internal apps, making sure it's a stable release (which it isn't, yet.) and they see a benefit in deploying a massive upgrade to all of their users. Remember, there are companies out there with hundreds of thousands of employees and they can't just deploy a new OS on a dime, they have to REALLY study the impact in how it changes the user community, workflow, training their employees, etc.

post #28 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

you have to be blind and retard to believe that 100 million win8 devices are being used. Maybe 1/10th of that.

Maybe they are counting all of the demo units in all of the retail stores.  :-)

post #29 of 82
I just read an article about a Windows 8 update coming this year. Is this a free update or a fee based update? the article didn't mention anything about that.

I'm wondering when Windows 9 is going to be released and how much different THAT GUI is going to be from Windows 8. Windows 9 in 2016, 17, 18, 19, 20?
post #30 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I also think that this adoption rate is more with consumers than corporate customers.

I don't know about adoption but I would think corporate PC sales may come with Windows 8 as part of the purchase. Either by purchasing the version of Windows that allows free a downgrade to Windows 7 or using an enterprise license to format over the factory installed version of a lesser version of Windows 8 that came with the bulk purchases.

post #31 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Similar to the number stated from the "Horses Mouth", in this interview with our beloved Bill Gates of PAID vs. PIRATED copies of previous Windows OSes*. Something I've said for years now when calculating market share: sure Windows has 97% market share if you allow people the world over to steal it, as opposed to Apple and OS X only being available on Apple hardware*.

I seriously can't believe AI hasn't picked this up with their usual scraping of Apple content across the web...1rolleyes.gif

Bill Gates: iPad users are frustrated because they "can't type, can't create documents"

^^^ This mindset is also at the heart (a**?) of the Windows 8 problems as well ^^^

* last ~5 minutes of video.

** Not counting .0001% Hackintosh systems.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #32 of 82
Windows 8 is another sorry MS product being foisted upon their hapless users. A product driven less by vision and more by Microsoft's reaction to their competitors, which is always their standard play book. In the absence of competition, Microsoft coasts on crap like IE6, which they sat on for years until Firefox, WebKit and emerging HTML5 kicked them back into the browser market.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #33 of 82
100M licenses sold. 50M copies deleted, with Win7 SP1 installed afterwards.

Yeah, well done, MS.
post #34 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

So these numbers are based on what users go to your site?   Is your site geared towards professionals, kids, or general population?  Just curious as to what types of users are more inclined to visit your site in the first place.  Do you have any information as to the age demographics?  Just curious.

Yes, these are only visitors who have sent an HTTP request to my server.  It is geared toward professional and student musicians.  I don't have any age demographics.

post #35 of 82
Quote:

Yes, these are only visitors who have sent an HTTP request to my server.  It is geared toward professional and student musicians.  I don't have any age demographics.

What are your Mac and mobile OS stats? I noticed they are also missing. I'd think that musicians would likely favour Mac OS X.

post #36 of 82
I'm seriously loving this comment from Marco Arment, in reply to the interview with the Chief Marketing Officer of MS regarding the new and improved version of Win 8 "Blue".

NOTE: jeez I sure hope they've remembered to change that screen color when things go tits up.

"Blue" is traditionally not a welcome color on a PC! 1oyvey.gif <<< see what I did there? 1smoking.gif
post #37 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What are your Mac and mobile OS stats? I noticed they are also missing. I'd think that musicians would likely favour Mac OS X.

The rest are Mac OS X: 30.6%, Linux: 3.5%, and Mobile: 3.7% with Android and iOS about even.  Unfortunately, the server software does not break down the Mac OS X into versions.

post #38 of 82
Quote:

Notice anything missing?

Yeah, any real basis for your numbers…

Steam has 11% Windows 8 users as of April
post #39 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontuwish View Post

Shipped, not sold to consumers.

Correct. The headline of "hits 100 million in sales" is blatantly wrong.

post #40 of 82
For Christmas, six months ago, I finally dumped my XP laptop, and treated myself to last years Lenovo model Windows 7 laptop. I got it cheap and I must say I'm glad I got it. I got seven years out of XP and I intend to get another seven out of seven.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Windows 8 hits 100 million sales, Microsoft working to address user complaints