or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Heavy rains in Manhattan breach Apple's flagship Fifth Ave store

Heavy rains in Manhattan breach Apple's flagship Fifth Ave store

post #1 of 36
A deluge of rain in New York City made its way into the glass cube atop Apple's Fifth Avenue store on Wednesday, leaving employees scrambling to mop up the mess.

Apple Store
Workers clean up Apple's Fifth Ave Store Wednesday morning. Photo by Errol Rappaport, via New York Post.

The flagship store, which is open 24 hours a day, was flooded as of around 8 a.m. on Wednesday, a customer told the New York Post. The incident reportedly started with a slow leak before water suddenly began pouring into the store.

"Everyone started scrambling, moving tables," Errol Rappaport told the Post. "It didn't look like there were any electrical issues, otherwise they would have evacuated the store."

At the time there were said to be about 15 customers in the store. Employees reportedly hurried to remove the water that was on the floor, but no products appeared to have been damaged.

Most of the water had been mopped up a few hours later, and the store remained open the entire time.

Wednesday's report cited unnamed workers who blamed the incident on a "drainage problem" stemming from construction done at the Fifth Avenue location in 2011. In a $6.7 million effort, Apple simplified the 32-foot glass cube that serves as the entrance to the store, reducing it from 90 panes of glass to just 15 larger, seamless pieces.

Customers enter the cube before taking a staircase down below, to where the 24-hour store is located. The cube, which is one of the most photographed landmarks in New York City, was designed and even paid for by late company co-founder Steve Jobs.

Heavy rains were seen throughout New York's five boroughs Wednesday morning, with localized street and highway flooding in some areas, according to WNBC 4 New York.

The entrance to Apple's Fifth Ave Store was covered with sandbags last October in anticipation of Hurricane Sandy. There was no indication that any damage or major leaks occurred when the superstorm hit.
post #2 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A deluge of rain in New York City made its way into the glass cube atop Apple's Fifth Avenue store on Wednesday, leaving employees scrambling to mop up the mess.

Wednesday's report cited unnamed workers who blamed the incident on a "drainage problem" stemming from construction done at the Fifth Avenue location in 2011. In a $6.7 million effort, Apple simplified the 32-foot glass cube that serves as the entrance to the store, reducing it from 90 panes of glass to just 15 larger, seamless pieces.

15 seamless glass panels yet a significant amount of water made it inside the seamless cube during a rainstorm??

melior diabolus quem scies
post #3 of 36

not sure why this is news worthy.  I mean, did anyone drown and die?

Edited by tooltalk - 5/8/13 at 10:59am
post #4 of 36

Underground store, not at the top of a tall hill, big hole mostly covered with glass...  Was wondering when this would happen...

post #5 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Most of the water had been mopped mopped up a few hours later, and the store remained open the entire time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

not sure why this is news worthy.  I mean, did anyone drown?

no. because when you mop mop, nobody drowns.
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
post #6 of 36
Having seen a Macquarium I just had the most interesting idea for a new store design.

Macquarium

Apple's new New York store design...

post #7 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

15 seamless glass panels yet a significant amount of water made it inside the seamless cube during a rainstorm??

Hmmm I don't know, maybe it got under the glass or through the doorway.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #8 of 36
Quote:

Most likely cause would be flex of the panels creating a puddling situation on the roof.  

The number of panels are also routinely mis-reported.  There are many more than fifteen panels that make up the structure and it's a reasonably complicated arrangement with internal glass buttressing and so forth, so it's not like it's just a simple glass box.  

post #9 of 36
Quote:

Nowhere was it written that the water came in through the glass cube itself.  The article clearly states that it was a "drainage problem" which has me believing it was something else like drain grates being plugged-up or something.

post #10 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Nowhere was it written that the water came in through the glass cube itself.  The article clearly states that it was a "drainage problem" which has me believing it was something else like drain grates being plugged-up or something.

Nowhere but in the very first sentence.

"A deluge of rain in New York City made its way into the glass cube atop Apple's Fifth Avenue store on Wednesday..."

post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Quote:

Most likely cause would be flex of the panels creating a puddling situation on the roof.  

The number of panels are also routinely mis-reported.  There are many more than fifteen panels that make up the structure and it's a reasonably complicated arrangement with internal glass buttressing and so forth, so it's not like it's just a simple glass box.  

I'm going with the joint where the end of the panels meet the ground (plaza surface). Or maybe just through the doorway itself.

Surprised this has just happened. Seems to me we've had much stronger rains than this over the time since the cube was rebuilt.

post #12 of 36
Rainwater dripped into the store before the panels were replaced, though not in the volume seen in this picture. A small amount would make it through the doorway, where it would pool before cascading around the stair.
post #13 of 36
Quote:

If the panels are assembled together in any manner, then  "seamless glass panels" is an oxymoron.

post #14 of 36
Quote:

Nowhere but in the very first sentence.

"A deluge of rain in New York City made its way into the glass cube atop Apple's Fifth Avenue store on Wednesday..."

Oh please.  This is typical media-spin that makes it sound like water somewhere made its way through the cube structure, or possibly through the cube itself.

I did a little quick search on more detail regarding this.  Looks like wherever AI scraped the article from, some details were conveniently left out.  

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/flood_at_the_fifth_avenue_apple_WnpmuPMAgrPxHj7P0u8fcI

Here's the part that stands out from THIS article:

=============

According to one worker, today's deluge of water may have been due to problems with construction completed last year on the roof of the store.

"It's because of the construction they did last year on the roof," the worker said. "They didn't do it right. There are large flat stones up there [that you walk across as you go into the store]. And with the heavy rain this morning, [the water] came through."

=============

The glass cube DOES NOT have large flat stones "up there" and not much of a roof to put it on.  AI's story sounded fishy to begin with.  Sounds like someone wanted to make it sound like it was a flaw in the glass structure itself, probably for click-bait.

post #15 of 36
Quote:

Oh please.  This is typical media-spin that makes it sound like water somewhere made its way through the cube structure, or possibly through the cube itself.

I was addressing your comment that nowhere in the AI article did it state water got into the glass cube. It did. That doesn't mean the AI article was accurate. 

post #16 of 36
Quote:

I was addressing your comment that nowhere in the AI article did it state water got into the glass cube. It did. That doesn't mean the AI article was accurate. 

Ah... you know what Gator? I can see how my comment could have been taken like that and for that I apologize.  I was reading it from a different perspective and immediately saw holes in the article - pun intended. :)

Pisses me off that AI published that article with some key info missing.

post #17 of 36
This wouldnt have happened if Jobs was alive. /s
post #18 of 36
Quote:

Ah... you know what Gator? I can see how my comment could have been taken like that and for that I apologize.  I was reading it from a different perspective and immediately saw holes in the article - pun intended. :)

Pisses me off that AI published that article with some key info missing.

Thanks!

And I agree that AI appears to occasionally omit or mangle important facts in an effort to make articles more interesting.

post #19 of 36
The front is always open, that's how it got in - the floor is also really flat at the entrance so a rapid build up of water could easily come down the stairs.

It rained this morning like I've never seen before in New York - it was literally like being under a waterfall.

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

post #20 of 36
Few stores will stay open when flooded, so apple must have worked hard for it to stay opened 24/7 this week.
post #21 of 36

"Most of the water had been mopped up a few hours later, and the store remained open the entire time."

Talk about defining "Slow News Day"......

As to "The Cube": it's a reasonably small area of the belowground total area so water entry through the belowground's ceiling could be from other parts of that plaza.

post #22 of 36
Quote:

I was interested to see it. They need to take a look at this and prevent future floods in this underground store. As some who's looking to someday build and underground home, I find this interesting. And yes, I'm serious.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #23 of 36
Quote:

Shouldn't it then be 1 seamless piece of glass?
post #24 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

The front is always open, that's how it got in - the floor is also really flat at the entrance so a rapid build up of water could easily come down the stairs.

It rained this morning like I've never seen before in New York - it was literally like being under a waterfall.

Then you haven't been in New York long.
post #25 of 36
Quote:

Maybe because this website covers Apple news and that Apple's flagship store in NYC being flooded is actually, for this website, worth mentioning. It would not be newsworthy on national TV.
Edited by guiguihip - 5/8/13 at 3:20pm
post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Oh yeah right! Cause if Steve would have been here, he would have come down to New York this week and he'd have put sand bags in front of the entrance and he'd have helped clean up. NO! He could not have helped in any way, just like Cook didn't. Also, it's apparently because of the ceiling and floor up on the plaza the store was flooded. Jobs certainly helped a great deal when planning these renovations: they ocurred in 2011, when Jobs was still CEO, just putting it out there!
post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by guiguihip View Post

Oh yeah right! Cause if Steve would have been here, he would have come down to New York this week and he'd have put sand bags in front of the entrance and he'd have helped clean up. NO! He could not have helped in any way, just like Cook didn't. Also, it's apparently because of the ceiling and floor up on the plaza the store was flooded. Jobs certainly helped a great deal when planning these renovations: they ocurred in 2011, when Jobs was still CEO, just putting it out there!

You quoted and then ignored a sarcasm tag...

But anyway, I hope the same design wasn't used on the yacht. /s

That's another sarcasm tag, that is.

post #28 of 36
Quote:

I did a little quick search on more detail regarding this.  Looks like wherever AI scraped the article from, some details were conveniently left out.  

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/flood_at_the_fifth_avenue_apple_WnpmuPMAgrPxHj7P0u8fcI

Here's the part that stands out from THIS article:

=============

According to one worker, today's deluge of water may have been due to problems with construction completed last year on the roof of the store.

"It's because of the construction they did last year on the roof," the worker said. "They didn't do it right. There are large flat stones up there [that you walk across as you go into the store]. And with the heavy rain this morning, [the water] came through."

=============

The glass cube DOES NOT have large flat stones "up there" and not much of a roof to put it on.  AI's story sounded fishy to begin with.  Sounds like someone wanted to make it sound like it was a flaw in the glass structure itself, probably for click-bait.

Maybe they should have said "Water leaked through the sidewalk into Apple's silly underground store."?

post #29 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Then you haven't been in New York long.

8 years.

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

post #30 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

8 years.

Lemme see, 8 years and you live in Brooklyn, I'm guessing you're a hipster.
post #31 of 36

This will come back to bite you.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
post #32 of 36
Quote:

No failure of Apple gets by you.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #33 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

All the more evidence Tim Cook needs to go.

/s

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #34 of 36
Quote:

One hopes that loss of life does not have to occur for information to be deemed worthy of our attention. But feel free to disagree.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #35 of 36
Dang, all those moisture detectors going off in iDevices invalidating the Apple Warranty! 1biggrin.gif
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #36 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Dang, all those moisture detectors going off in iDevices invalidating the Apple Warranty! 1biggrin.gif

Too funny!
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Heavy rains in Manhattan breach Apple's flagship Fifth Ave store