or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple Maps 3D Flyover support comes to Paris

Apple Maps 3D Flyover support comes to Paris

post #1 of 62
Apple continues to gradually expand the number of cities that support its 3D Flyover feature in iOS Maps, with Paris being the latest addition.

Paris

The update to Flyover in Apple's proprietary Maps application, which was first noticed by iGeneration, also extends beyond Paris to surrounding areas, including Versailles, Aulnay-sous-Bois, L'Hay-les-Roses, and even Disneyland. It's unknown whether any other cities were updated alongside Paris.

The new 3D mapping option in Paris comes about two months after Flyover rolled out to 15 new ctiies around the world. Flyover was introduced in 2012, when Apple replaced Google Maps with its own in-house solution.

Flyover allows users to view cities and buildings rendered in 3D. The interactive maps combine overhead images with three-dimensional geometry, allowing users to view major cities in new and unique ways.

Paris

Apple has also been continually hiring new personnel in an effort to improve Flyover and its iOS Maps application overall. With the launch of Apple Maps last year, Flyover in particular was plagued with distorted imagery that gave inaccurate renderings of landmarks such as the Hoover Dam and Brooklyn Bridge.

Updates to Maps Flyover data has been gradual but slow since iOS Maps debuted last September, as evidenced by the fact that it took more than seven months for Flyover support to come to Paris ? one of the most famous and most visited cities in the world.
post #2 of 62
Finally!

The first city I went to test Flyover with. Oh, well.. Better late than never.
post #3 of 62

Wow. I just checked it. Its awesome. Silently they are working on Maps, it seems.

post #4 of 62
My own town is included with my home, it very nice!!

Noisiel, 77186, France
post #5 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillot View Post

My own town is included with my home, it very nice!!

Noisiel, 77186, France

If you went to the same place what you mentioned, Maps are improving lol.gif

post #6 of 62
Enfin ! You can even see General La Fayette's grave in Picpus Cemetary (Paris XIIth) ...
post #7 of 62
Compared to how poorly the algorithms seem to handle trees, I'm sure they must have touched up the Eiffel Tower and the Arc de Triomphe manually.
post #8 of 62
This makes no sense. Why is Apple wasting resources on flyovers? Nobody -- and I mean nobody -- uses this feature of Maps. I don't think anybody even knows how to get into this feature of the Maps app, let alone using it once they're there. Apple should be focusing on fixing all their broken & terrible directions, instead of something superfluous like flyovers. Seriously, Apple, get your act together.
post #9 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

This makes no sense. Why is Apple wasting resources on flyovers? Nobody -- and I mean nobody -- uses this feature of Maps. I don't think anybody even knows how to get into this feature of the Maps app, let alone using it once they're there. Apple should be focusing on fixing all their broken & terrible directions, instead of something superfluous like flyovers. Seriously, Apple, get your act together.

you are so right. not a single person in the entire world, apple employees included, have ever used or will ever use the flyover feature of maps.

and the only thing that all 80,000+ employees of apple are doing is working on flyover. hell, if you call the apple support line you right now you'll hear a silly recording that says "we can't come to the phone right now because we're busy working on apple maps flyover just to piss off scotty321"

troll much?
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
post #10 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

Compared to how poorly the algorithms seem to handle trees, I'm sure they must have touched up the Eiffel Tower and the Arc de Triomphe manually.

Its not bad algorithm.  There are millions of trees to touch. And there is only one Arch de Triomphe and only one Eiffel Tower.

Do you want Apple to touch all the Trees that are not significant on maps?

They may touch a tree when this happens

post #11 of 62
Remarkably telling that such a city wasn't covered previously. Heck it's probably one of US citizen's holiday destinations so it's not even necessary solely a benefit for Europeans..

Ive ditched Apple Maps. So so much happier with Google Maps. It actually knows how to look up things near where I live, and flyovers is only really useful for tourists.
William
iPhone 3G 16 / iPhone 3GS 32 / Waiting for a proper rev of iMac..
William
iPhone 3G 16 / iPhone 3GS 32 / Waiting for a proper rev of iMac..
post #12 of 62

Arc de Triomphe without a single car? Looks weird.

post #13 of 62

Cars are erased.

post #14 of 62
Finally! It's over a huge part of the suburbs too and with great quality! I hope they make lots of ads about this in France, it's a detail but an important one!
post #15 of 62
Quote:

Couldn't agree more. That said, I am sure (I hope) they are.

So far, at least for me (and given where Iive), Apple Maps directions are truly second-rate -- on more than one occasion, it has either failed to find some obvious addresses, or it has given me directions that are circuitous and non-obvious (upon subsequent checking with Google Maps and MapQuest). 

I don't use it any more because I don't trust it. Google Maps is so much better currently. I'll check back in a couple of years.

post #16 of 62
Odd, that we have Paris... but not Washington, DC...

I want Moscow, Dubrovnik, Granada, Pisa, Lima, Machu Picchu, Lake Titicaca (that's a dirty), The Interlachen area, Nice, Heidelberg, Ronda...
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
post #17 of 62
Flyover is great, but it does load pretty slow on an iPad 3 on good signal WiFi -- improvements are needed to make it more fluid...
post #18 of 62
Have a look:

Admittedly, this is quick and dirty... but 3D Flyover has lots of possibilities... Interactive tour planning; movie scenes; the only way to visit Greece, nowadays...

Edit: Sorry about the video, Youtube is acting crazy on me... likely, they are trying to insert a Samsung commercial...

I am uploading to Vimeo & will repost!
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 5/9/13 at 10:34am
post #19 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusephe View Post

Cars are erased.

Unlike Google -- who capture the license plate numbers and store them in their databases...
post #20 of 62

At this rate, they will add average-sized midwest cities by 2023.

wdowell View Post
Ive ditched Apple Maps.

Ive was never on that team; he is the head of industrial design.

[this account has been abandoned]

[this account has been abandoned]

post #21 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Couldn't agree more. That said, I am sure (I hope) they are.

So far, at least for me (and given where Iive), Apple Maps directions are truly second-rate -- on more than one occasion, it has either failed to find some obvious addresses, or it has given me directions that are circuitous and non-obvious (upon subsequent checking with Google Maps and MapQuest). 

I don't use it any more because I don't trust it. Google Maps is so much better currently. I'll check back in a couple of years.

Directions and search are too separate things altogether. Directions work fine. Search is a disaster. I search for Starbucks while looking at Paris and it shows me a random Starbucks in Texas (just a random example). Just try searching for Googleplex.
post #22 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I want Moscow, Dubrovnik, Granada, Pisa, Lima, Machu Picchu, Lake Titicaca (that's a dirty), The Interlachen area, Nice, Heidelberg, Ronda...

I want Japanese cities. Kyoto and Tokyo. Brasilia, Marrakech, Venice, Istanbul, and the towns you gave are pretty good too.
Venice is a must.
I think this is great, and very useful to access contrary to what some say. I don't understand how anyone can say that it's complicated to use.
post #23 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsos View Post

At this rate, they will add average-sized midwest cities by 2023.
Quote:
wdowell go_quote.gif

Ive ditched Apple Maps.
Ive was never on that team; he is the head of industrial design.

St. Louis Park, MN Population 45,882 (2011)
post #24 of 62
Quote:

Glad to know that the value I got from it in Milan recently was totally in my imagination.

Perhaps you should stick to speaking for yourself?

post #25 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Directions and search are too separate things altogether. Directions work fine. Search is a disaster. I search for Starbucks while looking at Paris and it shows me a random Starbucks in Texas (just a random example). Just try searching for Googleplex.

I agree.

With maps now, I tend to search with Google, bag the exact address, or even co-ordinates, then bung them into Apple Maps for directions.

I find the Maps app much better than Googles.  I only managed to get Google Maps to give me directions once, and I can't work out how I did it.  The Apple app is clean, easy to use etc.  It just has dreadful search capabilities.

I hope the search chap they hired from Amazon fixes that.

post #26 of 62
The only reason Google expends the $$ it has and does on Maps is that value of the imprints must be astounding.

The more Apple invests the more it diverts revenue away from Google

I like
post #27 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Glad to know that the value I got from it in Milan recently was totally in my imagination.
Perhaps you should stick to speaking for yourself?

I'm with you. I love to research a place in 3D in advance of a visit. It never fails that when i get there I have a far better 'feeling' for the place and my way around. I suspect a lot of those who see no value may not create mental 3D images in their minds as many of us do. Certainly a fascinating research project for a psychology study. Cats, I read recently, create very elaborate 3D maps of their locale and update it whenever they perceive a change. It is to do with being able to more successfully pounce on prey and or escape from predators wanting a feline snack those studying this conjecture, an evolutionary gift as it were. Perhaps some humans have a similar trait whilst others for some reason don't. Then again maybe it is a talent that has to be learned in humans.
Edited by digitalclips - 5/9/13 at 10:27am
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #28 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post I only managed to get Google Maps to give me directions once, and I can't work out how I did it. 

There's a couple of ways to get directions. The first is to tap on the Directions icon on the right side of the Map search bar. Another is to tap navigation from the search results page within the Google Maps app.

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #29 of 62
Please Apple bring maps to OS X soon.
post #30 of 62
Quote:

Considering that any maps app must search the address first before it can provide directions, in what planet are they "too (two) separate things altogether"? 1rolleyes.gif

post #31 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Considering that any maps app must search the address first before it can provide directions, in what planet are they "too (two) separate things altogether"? 1rolleyes.gif

I kind of see what he means though. You could have no 3D at all in the one and a different program that had a database of cities in 3D just for educational value. Having said that you are right to infer the later certainly increases in value if it is searchable and we can morph the same location back and forth between 2D and 3D ... which is exactly what we have or are at least on the way to getting.
post #32 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

There's a couple of ways to get directions. The first is to tap on the Directions icon on the right side of the Map search bar. Another is to tap navigation from the search results page within the Google Maps app.

You're a genius!

Or I'm an idiot.

Or both!

post #33 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Please Apple bring maps to OS X soon.

Oh, yeah... Then add a large retina display Mac
post #34 of 62
Quote:

I knew as soon as I read the headline we'd get at least one of these mind-numbing posts, and like clockwork, here you come. 

Yeah, because obviously Flyover additions are done INSTEAD of directions, right? No there's no fucking way in hell these things are actually COMPLETELY independent of each other, have separate teams, and can be done at the same time, right? What makes absolutely "no sense" is your logic, not to mention that you pull facts, statements, and assumptions out of your ass simply to troll. 

1. Apple has invested a significant amount of resources into the technique of creating flyovers, and it's only logical and reasonable that they would expand it to eventually cover all major cities. I guarantee you there are millions of people who would love to browse a 3D version of Paris. 

2. Who says "nobody" is using it? I like the fact that you had to emphasize it twice, because thats what you do when you make shit up. I've used it many, many times and find it especially useful in new cities, where it gives an excellent sense of the environment and the neighborhood, which you can then recognize from flyover. Not only that, it happens to also be incredibly cool and fun to use, which doesn't hurt. It's also more flexible, robust, and updatable than streetview. There's no reason in hell Apple should scrap or drop it. It also strands to reason that the more places its available, the more it will be used. 

3. "Broken and terrible directions"- oh, really? I guess I must have been using a different version of maps then, which I've used in 5 cities so far and which has gotten me where I needed to go 100% of the time, hundreds of times- often using better and more efficient routes than google maps. But hey, it's "broken" cause you said so, just like how "nobody" uses flyover. 

4. I'm very certain Apple has their "act together", infinitely more than a message board troll like you who hurls attacks while not taking a few seconds to think those attacks through. 

Edited by Slurpy - 5/9/13 at 11:20am
post #35 of 62
Quote:

Paris, TX?

post #36 of 62
Quote:

Please tell me you didn't enter "Starbucks Paris" and are confused that it brought back hits from Paris TX.

post #37 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Wonder if the delay for D.C. has to do with flyover permissions? Not sure how close the planes have to be in order to do the mapping. Maybe they're running into issues with the Secret Service throwing fits?

post #38 of 62
I admit flyover looks nice. I don't use it because gmaps works better for me, and because I need streetview (I usually need to see buildings and streets because of my work, and streetview saves me from going to the real site until really needed, which is really helpful). Also, the number of supported cities in flyover is a joke.

Flyover looks nice, but it's not a work tool, just candy.
post #39 of 62
Quote:

I disagree. And it's easy to prove you wrong if you're going to insist on absolute terms like "nobody." I for one find it useful. Anyone who has ever played a strategy game gets why a flyover-style view of the world is useful for navigation and planning. And don't even get me started on broken directions. I did a road trip from LA to Vegas with stops in small towns along the way and iOS 6 Maps POI database was consistently more current than Google Maps' database, despite the flyover issues.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #40 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Its not bad algorithm.  There are millions of trees to touch. And there is only one Arch de Triomphe and only one Eiffel Tower.
Do you want Apple to touch all the Trees that are not significant on maps?

Not at all, it was just an observation that it doesn't seem to handle things that have free space under them very well.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple Maps 3D Flyover support comes to Paris