or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Judge orders Google to hand over search documents in Samsung patent case
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Judge orders Google to hand over search documents in Samsung patent case

post #1 of 31
Thread Starter 
Google on Thursday was ordered to acquiesce to Apple's request for information regarding what methods the search giant is using to sift through internal documents related to Android, with the resulting data being part of a second U.S. patent infringement suit against Samsung.

Galaxy Nexus


U.S. Magistrate Judge Paul S. Grewal issued the order compelling Google to reveal how it is selecting documents to furnish as part of the discovery process in the so-called "Galaxy Nexus" patent case, reports Bloomberg.

?The court cannot help but note the irony that Google, a pioneer in searching the Internet, is arguing that it would be unduly burdened by producing a list of how it searched its own files,? Judge Grewal wrote in the order.

Google now has two days in which to provide the requested information, which include search terms used to find documents related to the case, as well as the employees from whom the documents originated. Apple asked for the documents as the Samsung products in suit all use the Android mobile operating system, and information related to the OS is vital to the proceedings.

Previously, Google argued that furnishing the information would be too burdensome, and noted that it was a third party to the ongoing case. Judge Grewal disagreed, saying, "Third party status does not confer a right to obfuscation or obstinacy.?

The suit is Apple's second swing at Samsung in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, and is separate from the two companies' high profile jury trial which ended in a $1.05 billion verdict. The landmark Apple v. Samsung case is still in post-trial proceedings, the most recent news being a Nov. 12 trial date set by presiding Judge Lucy Koh. The new trial is seeks to recalculate the $450.5 million in damages Judge Koh vacated in March due to uncertainty over the jury's findings regarding 14 Samsung devices.

post #2 of 31

Google on Thursday was ordered to acquiesce to Apple's request for information

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Previously, Google argued that furnishing the information would be too burdensome...

 

Google is disinclined to acquiesce to your request.

 

Means 'no'.

 

We're too busy being evil.

 

Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.
Reply
Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.
Reply
post #3 of 31
Ok

Edit: Expanding on my earlier comment..

Is the quotation mark that close to the question mark"
Edited by Wovel - 5/9/13 at 4:00pm
post #4 of 31
"Obfuscation and obstinacy". Says it all.
post #5 of 31
Quote:
The court cannot help but note the irony that Google, a pioneer in searching the Internet, is arguing that it would be unduly burdened by producing a list of how it searched its own files,? Judge Grewal wrote in the order.

Wow, Google really think they can pull this poor excuse on the court.  They have enough manpower and money to follow the court order.

post #6 of 31

Oh, boy. Google's reveal could be highly entertaining... in the groaner category.

post #7 of 31

Same Judge Grewal that dinged Apple for their incomplete document search and retrieval by using improper search terms. The guy has quite a bit of experience dealing with these techs and sees thru many of their delay tactics. Good for him.

 

Having said that I personally expect Apple's demand for additional documentation not previously requested to be denied since Google is not a defendant and Apple prefers it that way, but that's going to be ruled on at some later date.


Edited by Gatorguy - 5/9/13 at 4:36pm
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #8 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Same Judge Grewel that dinged Apple for their incomplete document search and retrieval by using improper search terms. The guy has quite a bit of experience dealing with these techs and sees thru many of their delay tactics. Good for him.

 

Having said that I personally expect Apple's demand for additional documentation not previously requested to be denied since Google is not a defendant and Apple prefers it that way, but that's going to be ruled on at some later date.

1) It's Grewal. Not Grewel.

 

2) Nice to see you've become a legal expert, and can predict how a judge would rule! When/how did that happen?

post #9 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

1) It's Grewal. Not Grewel.

 

2) Nice to see you've become a legal expert, and can predict how a judge would rule! When/how did that happen?

My opinion? It's been a gradual thing. I'm still working on it. How's your willingness to offer an opinion coming along?

 

Edit: Thanks for the spell-check too. I missed that one.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #10 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Same Judge Grewel that dinged Apple for their incomplete document search and retrieval by using improper search terms. The guy has quite a bit of experience dealing with these techs and sees thru many of their delay tactics. Good for him.

 

Having said that I personally expect Apple's demand for additional documentation not previously requested to be denied since Google is not a defendant and Apple prefers it that way, but that's going to be ruled on at some later date.

 

Google provides the means for SEARCHING for the required information.

 

Now are you trying to imply that Google is NOT a search company.

 

Google is part of the method, as such they are responsible for what is found or not found.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #11 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

 

Google provides the means for SEARCHING for the required information.

 

Now are you trying to imply that Google is NOT a search company.

 

Google is part of the method, as such they are responsible for what is found or not found.

Absolutely. I feel the same and said as much when making my comment about the judge recognizing a delay tactic when he sees one.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #12 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

My opinion? It's been a gradual thing. I'm still working on it.

 

It still appears to need a little work.

 

It's seems to be a little off-kilter from where I'm standing.

 

Maybe it's just the angle.

Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.
Reply
Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.
Reply
post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

 

Now are you trying to imply that Google is NOT a search company.

 

Not so much a search company, just not a GOOD one.

 

Hehe!

 

Do you see what I did there?

 

I made a funny based on their informal corporate motto...

Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.
Reply
Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.
Reply
post #14 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

 

It still appears to need a little work.

 

It's still appears to be a little off-kilter from where I'm standing.

 

Maybe it's just the angle I'm on.

That's probably it.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

That's probably it.

 

It probably wouldn't be so noticeable if their weren't so many others standing over here as well.

 

You really should get that looked at.

Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.
Reply
Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.
Reply
post #16 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

 

Not so much a search company, just not a GOOD one.

 

 

 

Edit:-

 

Derail imminent.


Edited by hill60 - 5/9/13 at 6:24pm
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #17 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

 

 

The Goodies.

 

F*cking classic!

Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.
Reply
Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.
Reply
post #18 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


Well at least youtube works great, and it only cost them $1.65 billion.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #19 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Well at least youtube works great, and it only cost them $1.65 billion.

 

It does.

 

That was very innovative of them!

Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.
Reply
Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.
Reply
post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Ok

Edit: Expanding on my earlier comment..

Is the quotation mark that close to the question mark"

How does one expand on Ok?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

It does.

That was very innovative of them!

When you can't innovate, compensate (those that do)
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Well at least youtube works great, and it only cost them $1.65 billion.

 

Here's to choice.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

...

 

Edit:-

 

Derail imminent.

 

WTF?!?

 

Ancient song paired with semi-ancient, completely unrelated video???? 

 

Is this supposed to show that YouTube sucks technically or something? (it doesn't)

 

Whatever you are trying to say here, it didn't come across.  Possibly because the newest reference is over 40 years old.  

post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

WTF?!?

 

Ancient song paired with semi-ancient, completely unrelated video???? 

 

Is this supposed to show that YouTube sucks technically or something? (it doesn't)

 

Whatever you are trying to say here, it didn't come across.  Possibly because the newest reference is over 40 years old.  

 

There was a rather good connection.

 

It was subtle, but it was there.

 

You're not going to cry, are you?

 

1wink.gif

Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.
Reply
Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.
Reply
post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

WTF?!?

 

Ancient song paired with semi-ancient, completely unrelated video???? 

 

Is this supposed to show that YouTube sucks technically or something? (it doesn't)

 

Whatever you are trying to say here, it didn't come across.  Possibly because the newest reference is over 40 years old.  

 

Where is that file hosted?

 

Hint:- its no longer Youtube.

 

That and googlies is a slang term for testicles and that would be NSFW, so I had to make do with non-youtube hosted Goodies.


Edited by hill60 - 5/9/13 at 7:36pm
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #26 of 31

"Google, a pioneer in searching the Internet, is arguing that it would be unduly burdened by producing a list of how it searched its own files..."

 

Perhaps they should have used DuckDuckGo or Bing!

post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The court cannot help but note the irony that Google, a pioneer in searching the Internet, is arguing that it would be unduly burdened by producing a list of how it searched its own files, Judge Grewal wrote in the order.

 

Ha.  He needs to get out into business more often.

 

"The cobbler's children have no shoes", is a saying that applies a lot to companies who provide products and services.

 

It's usually harder to get telecom services working for a telecom, to get computers working for a computer maker, or probably search old documents at a place known for search.

 

Managers rarely spend the time or money to provide for their own, as much as for customers!

post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

 

Ha.  He needs to get out into business more often.

 

"The cobbler's children have no shoes", is a saying that applies a lot to companies who provide products and services.

 

It's usually harder to get telecom services working for a telecom, to get computers working for a computer maker, or probably search old documents at a place known for search.

 

Managers rarely spend the time or money to provide for their own, as much as for customers!

 

So Google is sh*t for search then?

 

Thanks for the tip, I'm switching to Bing.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So Google is sh*t for search then?

 

Thanks for the tip, I'm switching to Bing.

 

Silly comment.  The same concept would apply to Microsoft, of course.

 

It's the whole point of the saying.   Those who sell a service, often do not have access to their own product as easily as a customer.

post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

 

Silly comment.  The same concept would apply to Microsoft, of course.

 

It's the whole point of the saying.   Those who sell a service, often do not have access to their own product as easily as a customer.

 

Google are incompetent, I'm switching to Bing.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #31 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Ha.  He needs to get out into business more often.

"The cobbler's children have no shoes", is a saying that applies a lot to companies who provide products and services.

It's usually harder to get telecom services working for a telecom, to get computers working for a computer maker, or probably search old documents at a place known for search.

Managers rarely spend the time or money to provide for their own, as much as for customers!

You're quite right, I work for a telecom and the phones are always down.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Judge orders Google to hand over search documents in Samsung patent case