or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Microsoft wants iTunes for Windows 8; Apple not interested
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Microsoft wants iTunes for Windows 8; Apple not interested - Page 3

post #81 of 133
"You shouldn't expect an iTunes app on Windows 8 any time soon," the chief financial officer of Microsoft's Windows division said.

 

"F*** that Metro s***.  Give us back our damn XP," millions of Windows users said.

 

"Hey Microsoft.  Enjoy that twisting in the wind thing, m'kay?" Apple said.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #82 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisgoingon View Post

Simply put, Microsoft wants 30% of Apples iTunes sales revenue...

And you know this how?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #83 of 133
First MS needs to create a good version of Office for iPad. Stress is on the word 'good'.

Stay Hungry, stay foolish.

http://everystevejobsvideo.com

Reply

Stay Hungry, stay foolish.

http://everystevejobsvideo.com

Reply
post #84 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

 

And do what?  Reverse engineer how to interact with iOS devices and the App Store?  Borderline illegal and Apple would most certainly take measures to prevent it (as they have similarly in the past with companies which tried to hijack iTunes to work with their own devices).

Sorry that makes no sense, if MS goes with a company like Amazon why would iTunes still be in the picture. Amazon has their own music store so there would be no need to reverse engineer anything. Why does MS even want iTunes, aren't they trying to hock their own music store, this story is fishy.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #85 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


I did a quick search and the answers range from $0.19 per song to 35% per song/album.

And none of those answers are from Apple. Apple has always said that they take a 30% cut of app sales but have never published what their cut was on music. The searches you take as fact are just someone else's opinion, nothing more.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply
post #86 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Say , after MS Office is available on iPad ?

 

(and, BTW, totally useless, because, you know, Surface is for SERIOUS creation work, as opposed to frustrating iPad)

Surface no, Surface Pro, yes, as well as any i5/i7 tablet with Windows 8. The iPad can do a lot of useful things, run say the Adobe suite, no.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #87 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

And none of those answers are from Apple. Apple has always said that they take a 30% cut of app sales but have never published what their cut was on music. The searches you take as fact are just someone else's opinion, nothing more.

Music industry reps have said 30% at least once. And the one I clearly remember, was complaining that it was too big of a cut.
post #88 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I don't see why - excepting technical difficulties - Apple wouldn't do that.

That is the way I see it. In fact Apple would be down right stupid to pass up the opportunity to get a lock on the platform. I can understand avoiding Android due to its fragmented nature but the MS platform appears to be well managed in that regard.
post #89 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The 30% started with music and was then applied to apps.
Ok, well, how much of that 30% is profit? My guess is not much.
post #90 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Surface no, Surface Pro, yes, as well as any i5/i7 tablet with Windows 8. The iPad can do a lot of useful things, run say the Adobe suite, no.

A 10" display to run the Adobe Suite is an excellent solution¡ And with that 64GB on-board NAND with only 23GiB available to users out of the box sure has plenty of room to install the Adobe Suite of apps with plenty of room for storing all those professional files¡ I'm completely flabbergasted as to why the Surface Pro and netbooks aren't the ideal machines for graphics and video professionals¡

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #91 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisgoingon View Post

Simply put, Microsoft wants 30% of Apples iTunes sales revenue...

Microsoft does not require Windows 8 applications be sold through their digital store front exclusively.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #92 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

A 10" display to run the Adobe Suite is an excellent solution¡ And with that 64GB on-board NAND with only 23GiB available to users out of the box sure has plenty of room to install the Adobe Suite of apps with plenty of room for storing all those professional files¡ I'm completely flabbergasted as to why the Surface Pro and netbooks aren't the ideal machines for graphics and video professionals¡

I guess running those apps poorly, in a highly non-optimal environment is better than not at all. 64GB of storage goes away very quickly in a "desktop" OS, 4x more so with pro apps.
post #93 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

And Apple should respond in kind. Office for Mac was part of the package that allowed Apple to recover after Jobs' return. Apple should indeed build a touch version of iTunes for Window 8. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. Microsoft is going after Android tooth and nail and Apple should do every reasonable thing to help Microsoft succeed in taking Android down a notch or two.

Yes. If windows, iOS and Android were 30% it would healthier than Android at 60%
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #94 of 133
That's right, M$, it's really Apple's fault that you've created an entirely new (and much maligned) platform for ARM that uses a different codebase than Windows, that only has about a million users after 6 months, and an anemic 'app store'...

You want Apple to spend time and resources out of pocket porting one of its flagship products for that platform, and although you've "welcomed" that, they are so very BAD for ignoring your entreaties?

Meanwhile, are there any "Microsoft products for iOS"?

Yeah%u2026
post #95 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


Microsoft does not require Windows 8 applications be sold through their digital store front exclusively.


I believe Metro apps ARE required to be exclusively sold through MS's digital store (other than for developers and internal corporate apps).

post #96 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Surface no, Surface Pro, yes, as well as any i5/i7 tablet with Windows 8. The iPad can do a lot of useful things, run say the Adobe suite, no.

Lol. If creative professionals want that, then all the whiners complaining about the lack of updates for the 12-core Mac Pro connected to dual 27" calibrated color monitors and multi terabytes of internal storage should be happy.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #97 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I guess running those apps poorly, in a highly non-optimal environment is better than not at all. 64GB of storage goes away very quickly in a "desktop" OS, 4x more so with pro apps.

I'd think this would be a much better overall solution for someone that needs to use Adobe's suite of apps.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #98 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Surface no, Surface Pro, yes, as well as any i5/i7 tablet with Windows 8. The iPad can do a lot of useful things, run say the Adobe suite, no.

 

You are confused about 'serious work'.

 

You can use the Adobe Suite to do serious work.

However, you can do serious work WITHOUT using the Adobe Suite.

Just like you can do serious work WITHOUT using MS Office.

 

Are there specific things that you can't readily do, or can't do as well as with a full desktop system?  Sure.

 

There's also a reason why Microsoft focus's so heavily on how Surface devices can readily use/have a keyboard & pointing device.

post #99 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

And Apple should respond in kind. Office for Mac was part of the package that allowed Apple to recover after Jobs' return. Apple should indeed build a touch version of iTunes for Window 8. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. Microsoft is going after Android tooth and nail and Apple should do every reasonable thing to help Microsoft succeed in taking Android down a notch or two.

I think you are mischaracterizing this as "Microsoft did something nice for Apple, now it's their turn to respond in kind." Nothing could be further from reality. When the deal was cut, both parties got what they wanted out of the deal. There wasn't any opened ended promise of a future "respond in kind." Neither company does that. Apple got Mac Office ported to OS X and an investment worth hundreds of millions in the form of non- voting shares. Microsoft got broad access to Apple patents and an end to patent litigation between the two companies, as well as a hedge against the claims that Windows was a monopoly and had no competition (Microsoft was under serious antitrust scrutiny before 9/11), during the height of the Windows hegemony. The "in kind" balance is zero; Apple owes Microsoft nothing.

EDIT: Apple also made Internet Explorer the default browser on OS X, as part of their deal.
Edited by Suddenly Newton - 5/10/13 at 11:22am

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #100 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

EDIT: Apple also made Internet Explorer the default browser on OS X, as part of their deal.

I was in the audience at the Mac World keynote when Steve announced that. You would not believe the reaction. He was almost booed off the stage. I thought that was prior to OS X though, not sure.

 

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJqSaQj8iX4

 

Somehow I remember a lot more booing than is heard in that video. Maybe I was seated in the peanut gallery.


Edited by mstone - 5/10/13 at 11:40am

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #101 of 133
Quote:
I think you are mischaracterizing this as "Microsoft did something nice for Apple, now it's their turn to respond in kind." Nothing could be further from reality. When the deal was cut, both parties got what they wanted out of the deal. There wasn't any opened ended promise of a future "respond in kind." Neither company does that. 

 

Correct, and today, evidently, Microsoft has nothing that Apple wants or needs, to enable deal-making to proceed.  In fact, AAPL has enough cash money that they could buy controlling interest in MSFT outright, if they felt there was anything there worth buying.... :)

post #102 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I was in the audience at the Mac World keynote when Steve announced that. You would not believe the reaction. He was almost booed off the stage. I thought that was prior to OS X though, not sure.

I recall it was in Mac OS 9 also. But back then, Apple didn't produce its own browser. The other option was Netscape 4.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #103 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

iTunes is a revenue stream for Apple.  They're crazy not to put it there  I could easily see Amazon throwing something together to throw on Metro to sell music and movies if the opening is there.

 

At present it's not a revenue stream due to the poor-assed sales of Surfaces. More like an IV drip on a cadaver. 

 

Even if the Surface should some day show some life, these tablet users represent the die-hard anti-apple crowd or they'd have bought an iPad. Let 'em eat cake.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #104 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Correct, and today, evidently, Microsoft has nothing that Apple wants or needs....

 

They still need ActiveSync for Exchange Server and apparently Azure as well, although the latter is more of a choice rather than a need. But you are right, Microsoft needs Apple more than Apple needs Microsoft.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #105 of 133

When Apple adds features to OS X, such as iCloud or Retina, we expect MS to upgrade Office. I think Windows customers probably would like iTunes to use their OS's new GUI style.

post #106 of 133

Your nuts if you think iWorks in anywhere in the same league as MS Office.

Just about every business in America uses those applications.

 

I love Apple but either your an unemployed person who never worked in the business world or your just plain silly to even suggest iWorks is in the same league as Office. Even Open Office is supperior to Works.

post #107 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

 

At present it's not a revenue stream due to the poor-assed sales of Surfaces. More like an IV drip on a cadaver. 

 

Even if the Surface should some day show some life, these tablet users represent the die-hard anti-apple crowd or they'd have bought an iPad. Let 'em eat cake.

You do know that Windows 8 is being sold on devices other then Surface. Why are people the anti-Apple crowd who purchase a Windows 8 Tablet, some just want to use full featured desktop apps on their tablets. 

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #108 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

When Apple adds features to OS X, such as iCloud or Retina, we expect MS to upgrade Office. I think Windows customers probably would like iTunes to use their OS's new GUI style.

Sure, there is a common expectation but both Abode and MS, for example, have dropped the ball on support Mac OS when the number of users were quite low. Not that it makes it right (or wrong that they didn't see the value in supporting so few users), and I'm certainly not implying Apple is doing anything out of spite, but in comparison to Mac's marketshare over the years I think that Windows for ARM marketshare (the only version of Windows that can't use iTunes for Windows at all) is still very much non-existant*. And all that's before we factor in the required delivery method for getting Windows desktop apps on a machine with an ARM CPU.




* Are there any stats that show Windows for ARM having any marketshare at this point?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #109 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur123 View Post

Your nuts if you think iWorks in anywhere in the same league as MS Office.
Just about every business in America uses those applications.

I love Apple but either your an unemployed person who never worked in the business world or your just plain silly to even suggest iWorks is in the same league as Office. Even Open Office is supperior to Works.

How do you keep a job that requires the use of office software, while writing so terribly?

I don't think you've used iWorks if you're rating OO.o as "supperior" (sic) to iWorks.
Edited by JeffDM - 5/10/13 at 1:58pm
post #110 of 133
Originally Posted by Arthur123 View Post
Your nuts if you think iWorks in anywhere in the same league as MS Office.

 

Maybe, but iWork is leagues better than Office.


Just about every business in America uses those applications.

 

And iWork is compatible with just about every document used by those businesses.


I love Apple but either your an unemployed person who never worked in the business world or your just plain silly to even suggest iWorks is in the same league as Office.

 

You sound either unemployed or just plain stupid to suggest that Office is better than iWork.


Even Open Office is supperior to Works.

 

You've used neither software. That much is clear.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #111 of 133
Well apple is not doing what Microsoft wants however I figure the iTunes for IOS could probably work if it was availible yet apple does not port it's apps (anymore) as for Microsoft & google do. This still is not true on desktop windows 8 with you can download iTunes & a old safari. But this does point out that Microsoft admits they can't sale music well & if apple did this apple would likely gain $. But we'll the App Store for all devices would be next.
post #112 of 133

I think it would be hard for Apple to produce iTunes for Win8 without making Win8 seem better than ios. If it was full featured the a Win8 tablet would sync with an iPhone and an iPad, but an iPad still couldn't sync with an iPhone. It makes it seem like ios isn't a full ox.

post #113 of 133

I f'king hate,

Windows 8.

 

I can't stand dealing with it, neither can my wife who bought this copy of an Air ultra thing which refused to boot one day.

 

The reason after waa-aay too much troubleshooting was some stupid trial software that locked it up.

 

"It wasn't used for 65 days so we assumed it was stolen."

 

Went the third call centre rep after Microsoft and the manufacturer played pass around, should have called Intel too they are the one's who promote these things.


Edited by hill60 - 5/10/13 at 3:06pm
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #114 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur123 View Post

Your nuts if you think iWorks in anywhere in the same league as MS Office.

 

 

Hey you can type stuff and save it in word format, that's all 99% of people need, the words without the bullshit trimmings.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #115 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Maybe, but iWork is leagues better than Office.

 

And iWork is compatible with just about every document used by those businesses.

 

You sound either unemployed or just plain stupid to suggest that Office is better than iWork.

 

You've used neither software. That much is clear.

 

Open Office is superior to those free "readers" that Microsoft provides for people who don't have Office, especially for Excel spreadsheets.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #116 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

You sound either unemployed or just plain stupid to suggest that Office is better than iWork.

 

Look I like iWork like the next person, it's easy and my documents look amazing but it's not even in the same league as Office, database functionality and scripting alone make it an ideal platform for business's. I don't know can you connect Oracle directly to Numbers or Pages, you might be able to rig it using Applescript but that would be a pain. Talking about scripting did you know PHP, Perl, Python and Ruby all have functions to directly communicate with Office. Sorry Skil, I like your Apple is mightier then all attitude but iWork is a consumer product, a small business tool sure, enterprise no way.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #117 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

 

Open Office is superior to those free "readers" that Microsoft provides for people who don't have Office, especially for Excel spreadsheets.

 

Open Office is pretty helpful in a Unix/Linux environment, I use it to parse and calculate stock exchange data from Eurex and Euronex. I could easily do it in Perl or Python but then I wouldn't get the pretty GUI.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #118 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Sure, there is a common expectation but both Abode and MS, for example, have dropped the ball on support Mac OS when the number of users were quite low. Not that it makes it right (or wrong that they didn't see the value in supporting so few users), and I'm certainly not implying Apple is doing anything out of spite, but in comparison to Mac's marketshare over the years I think that Windows for ARM marketshare (the only version of Windows that can't use iTunes for Windows at all) is still very much non-existant*. And all that's before we factor in the required delivery method for getting Windows desktop apps on a machine with an ARM CPU.

Yes, I suspect Windows for ARM will be dropped at some point, much like Windows NT for PowerPC was. I wouldn't expect Apple to do a version of iTunes for that platform just yet.

post #119 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

The reason after waa-aay too much troubleshooting was some stupid trial software that locked it up.

So it was the software that caused the issue, not Windows. The same thing can happen (and does) in OS X, do you blame Apple in the same circumstances?
post #120 of 133

Don't you hate the abuse of good adjectives like 'modern'. Metro is different from last year's offering and has more garish, tasteless colours than even the intrusive blue window header of XP or blurry transparent header of 7 showing off their ability to do transparency.

 

Was having coffee with my neighbour today and his wife called out for help on the computer trying to print an email. He disappears and returns 10 minutes later - "ugh the whole thing will have to be restored again and that's the third time it's happened since we got the new computer with Windows 8". 'Modern' systems don't do that kind of thing.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Microsoft wants iTunes for Windows 8; Apple not interested