or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Amazon takes on Apple's Photo Stream with Cloud Drive Photos iOS app

Amazon takes on Apple's Photo Stream with Cloud Drive Photos iOS app - Page 2

post #41 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Apple's been selling proprietary solutions for nearly 40 years, but eventually--EVENTUALLY--someday, any day now, it's going to bite them in the ass. Apple must license Mac OS / iTunes / iOS / iCloud / (next big thing) to everyone else. Or face eventual doom.

Short memory? Apple DID bring iTunes to Windows. I doubt we'd be having a conversation right now if Apple hadn't made that move. Or if we were, it would be on Microsoft fan site and you'd be pining for the good old days when Apple still existed. And how well do you think the iPhone would have done if Apple had restricted it to only Macs?
post #42 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Short memory? Apple DID bring iTunes to Windows. I doubt we'd be having a conversation right now if Apple hadn't made that move. Or if we were, it would be on Microsoft fan site and you'd be pining for the good old days when Apple still existed. And how well do you think the iPhone would have done if Apple had restricted it to only Macs?

I don't see the correlation between his sarcastic comment regarding Apple licensing all their tech to Apple releasing iTunes for Windows. iTunes isn't licensed, at least not in the way one thinks of an OS being licensed. All they did was create a portal so that their proprietary devices could be used through Windows. They don't even let other companies legally use iTunes app for device management.

And if we're going to jump on Apple for making Windows software then we really need to go back much further when they made the very annoying QuickTime app a decade earlier.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #43 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post

Cloud computing has existed since the 1960's.  iTools was Apple's first foray and built on a house of cards (Apple was/is great at building hardware; IT services- not so much).  When they expanded it to MobileMe it fell apart.  Steve Jobs apologized for it.  Wow!  It has to be *really* bad for that to happen.  Actually he didn't apologize publicly.   He apologized internally to Apple employees and it went public.  As such it was probably had a little more candor than Steve would have let out publically ('not Apples finest hour', 'not up to our standards' etc)  That was when they switched over.  My *speculation* would be that they had to pick the least of their evils.  Using Google was definitely out.  Amazon was the biggest and best.  Microsoft was fledgling and just getting started.  Apple wasn't sure they could rely on MS so they hedged their bets by using both.  I believe they were MS's biggest customer and essentially gave Azure the foothold it needed to grow.   So yes, iTools was there and Apple knew they wanted to do Cloud type services in 2000.  When they needed one that *worked* reliably they switched to people who could do it.  That is also when Apple realized it was *hard* and started a big push for their own data centers.  I have little doubt Apple will eventually be 100% on their own data centers and be doing it with tremendous success.

I am actually an Apple fan and like it when Apple does things well.  There are still things I miss about my iPhone.  It has a lot of things that do indeed work more seamlessly than Android, and what I really miss is the little hardware switch that would let me toggle it into silent mode instantly.  I generally try to be considerate and turn my phone off in a theater or meeting- but it annoys me that in order to do that on my Android phone I have to do what I'm trying to avoid... pull my phone out and fidget with it in order to put it in silent mode through the ui.

Anyways...  I'll admit I never crossed into the Apple fanatic category.  I look at a phone as a piece of consumer electronics- like a toaster or television.  I pick the one that works best for me.  What I don't often understand is the exclusionary mindset, that once Apple decides to enter a market either nobody else should be allowed to enter it, or they are just "copying" Apple.  Whether it be a smart watch, television, or cloud services.

It is just my view, and I'll share it but you are free to disagree :), that openness is good for Apple.  Amazon putting a cloud based picture streaming on iOS?  So what?  If Apples offering is the best-thing-ever-because-its-flawless-its-Apple, then nobody will use Amazons product.  If people actually do start using Amazon there must be something they are doing better.  Apple has two fixes for their problem.  Either make their product better, or wall off their garden and users will have to use Apple's offering.  Every time I see an Apple fan push for the walled garden solution it baffles me.  If you hate Amazon or Google, don't use them.  You are still getting a big benefit from them because everybody who does switch over and uses them forces Apple to improve its own offerings.

Banishing your bafflement:  Look up the definition of "fanatic."  This is a church.  With a number of dogmas. And anything heretical riles up at least some of the faithful....

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #44 of 55
Quote:
Apple only allows 1,000 photos to be stored on its servers for up to 30 days, while Amazon affords 2,000 pictures with no time limit

I must say that difference will make it a very attractive choice for many, and also a great solution for cross platform users. It is much simpler to use than Dropbox.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #45 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I hate it when people assume they know what other people assume then go on to state it emphatically as if by doing so makes it some sort of fact.

(Brilliant.)

Unfortunately, that is what the uninformed do.
post #46 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Banishing your bafflement:  Look up the definition of "fanatic."  This is a church.  With a number of dogmas. And anything heretical riles up at least some of the faithful....

Ah, no. Most of us here dislike moronic comments almost as much as we're fanatical about Apple.
post #47 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Ah, no. Most of us here dislike moronic comments almost as much as we're fanatical about Apple.

I tried to study Hinduism but my dogma ate my Om work. (My attempt at being original)

post #48 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post

blah, blah, blah

Apple had cloud services a long time ago.

They worked.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #49 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Apple had cloud services a long time ago.

They worked.

So, at what point in the evolution did they break it so it doesn't anymore?

(J/K! Put down the brick! 1wink.gif)

post #50 of 55
Quote:

CLOUD FIGHT!
Anyone betting that the online retailer will beat the OS companies?

Not me with  their admitted connection to Facebook and Twitter.

That drives me and my personal data FAR AWAY!   1oyvey.gif

post #51 of 55
Does CloudDrive photos work seamlessly for my Mac where I import all my pix from my 7D's CF card?

I'm guessing not. Still has a bit of ways to go.

Apple, please provide an optional delay for photostream so I can edit/delete the dupes from my last photoshoot before it uploads - this would make my life a lot easier.
post #52 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

They already did under sculley/amellio, and damn near ruined apple by allowing clone companies to run mac os.  No thanks.  iCloud is a feature on iOS not amazon and not droids.

They can build there own.  The first thing Jobs did during his comeback was to kill clones.  It was an extremely good thing too.

Clones and compatibility are two different matters. Microsoft's in the business of not being compatible, even with itself.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

post #53 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't see the correlation between his sarcastic comment regarding Apple licensing all their tech to Apple releasing iTunes for Windows. iTunes isn't licensed, at least not in the way one thinks of an OS being licensed. All they did was create a portal so that their proprietary devices could be used through Windows. They don't even let other companies legally use iTunes app for device management.

And if we're going to jump on Apple for making Windows software then we really need to go back much further when they made the very annoying QuickTime app a decade earlier.

Probably because the original thread I commented on was actually suggesting Apple should open up iCloud/iCloud photos to a wider array of devices, not licensing it for others to use. Thus commenting on iTunes was in the same vein as the original comment. If Apple had kept iTunes or the iPhone locked exclusively to OS X, the mobile device landscape would probably look very different than it does today.
post #54 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

See......??

1wink.gif

post #55 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

Too bad they only have an iPhone app and no ipad 1frown.gif

You've got to be joking! They didn't customize (retina resolution) the app for the iPad? That's simply...stupid. I mean, I don't take photos with my iPad, but do watch them on it after taken photos with my iPhone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

4) Do you have any proof that Apple simply rents space from Amazon and MS in lieu of using their own data centers?

I don't. But they do use AWS for Photostream. Little Snitch always shows me. Though it's only for the photos themselves; the management (meta data) part is on the icloud.com domain.
Quote:

But Apple had already been offering cloud services to Mac users for years before AWS or Azure came on the scene. (And those "clouds" aren't B2C cloud services anyway)

Excellent point! It is indeed a B2B config.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r00fus View Post

Apple, please provide an optional delay for photostream so I can edit/delete the dupes from my last photoshoot before it uploads - this would make my life a lot easier.

I also wanted to sift through my photos before having them uplosd to iCloud PS. But after 'letting go of my notion' I came to realize that it isn't a problem at all: I insert the CCK with my SD card into my iPad, import them and delete while it's uploading to iCloud. No problem with the way it was designed.

What I do want is for it to upload video's as well. Yeah, PhotoStream, now with video. Hmm, maybe that's what the new Data Centers are for.
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Amazon takes on Apple's Photo Stream with Cloud Drive Photos iOS app