or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › BlackBerry BBM coming to Apple's iOS, Google Android this summer

BlackBerry BBM coming to Apple's iOS, Google Android this summer

post #1 of 33
BlackBerry's BBM messaging service will go cross-platform this summer, when official BBM applications will launch on iOS and Android.

BBM

BBM will be compatible with iOS 6 and Android 4.0 when it debuts this summer. The initial release will include multi-person chats, as well as the ability to share photos and voice notes.

The move will end exclusivity for one of the most popular features from the BlackBerry platform.

"The time is definitely right for BBM to become a multi-platform mobile service," Andrew Bocking, executive vice president of Software Product Management and Ecosystem at BlackBerry said in a press release. "BBM has always been one of the most engaging services for BlackBerry customers, enabling them to easily connect while maintaining a valued level of personal privacy. We?re excited to offer iOS and Android users the possibility to join the BBM community."

Apple has its own proprietary messaging service known as iMessage. It allows users of Apple products ? including iPhones, iPads and Macs ??to chat with one another, but iMessage is not available on competing platforms like Android.

Features including voice, screen sharing and channels are planned for future BBM updates. BBM Channels will allow individuals and groups to create a dedicated channel and share information with followers, similar to Twitter.

According to BlackBerry, BBM has more than 60 million monthly active users, and more than 51 million of those people use BBM for an average of 90 minutes per day. BBM customers send and receive more than 10 billion messages each day.
post #2 of 33
smart move... it may end up being the messaging service to rule them all.
post #3 of 33

Great news! Now to find someone who actually owns a blackberry.....

post #4 of 33
This will help them make a graceful exit out of the hardware business.

Just point to the fabulous profitability of the messaging business and quietly kill the phone without admitting failure.
post #5 of 33
90 minutes a day. Damn.
post #6 of 33
Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

It may be the push needed for Apple to make iMessage the messaging service to rule them all.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #7 of 33
If I flip through my messages they are all becoming blue, meaning most of my friends use iMessage. So this is not for me, but probably welcome to some. I wonder if this takes off or not.
post #8 of 33
Quote:

Maybe.  But I think the fact that BBM will now be reviewed and compared with any other messaging service (in that it has now lost it's uniqueness), will be interesting.  I'm not so sure it is the best or most secure messaging app out there.  

This is a win for consumers in that now we will be able to directly compare the products without worrying about all that antiquated BBM server crapola.  

The main metric here is whether the people still using BBM on Blackberry are still using it because

a) it's a superior service. 

or

b) they've been "trapped" on the service as all their friends are on BBM.  

I'm sure Blackberry itself thinks it's "a", but it could easily be "b."  

If it's "a" Blackberry's hardware sales should stabilise and even go up, if it's "b" then it's simply a postponement of the long slow inevitable decline.  

post #9 of 33
Just in time for Google's Babel... is that what they mean for "the time is right" ?
William
iPhone 3G 16 / iPhone 3GS 32 / Waiting for a proper rev of iMac..
William
iPhone 3G 16 / iPhone 3GS 32 / Waiting for a proper rev of iMac..
post #10 of 33

This is a smart move on RIM's part. I have a number of friends who use WhatsApp messenger to chat across hardware platform to people with Android, BB, and Apple phones. Would they be using WhatsApp today if BBM was cross-platform a year or two ago? Probably not.

RIM is a little late to the table with this, but I think it is a good move for them to make now. 

post #11 of 33
iMessage
WhatsApp

BBM's already redundant.
post #12 of 33
Quote:

I am hoping Apple will get a clue and move iMessage and Facetime cross platform too...

post #13 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

iMessage
WhatsApp

BBM's already redundant.

apple doesn't give a **** about other platforms; whatsapp looks bad.

bbm can do it right

post #14 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Quote:

I am hoping Apple will get a clue and move iMessage and Facetime cross platform too...

why do you care?

post #15 of 33

I'm not sure this is a good move for Blackberry. How many BB phone owners keep upgrading to new BB phones because a large group of them use BBM to communicate? Groups like that (usually female who text continuously) don't really know or care about phones so they stick with the BB phones.

As soon as BBM comes along on other phones, their partners will inform them that they can get an iPhone and still send continuous inane drivel FOC to all of their "bezzies". BB retails less hardware and eventually becomes a software only business, sells the hardware side and an Apple lead consortium picks up their patents.

BBM on the BB phones actually sold the phones,

how is BB going to make money from BBM on other platforms? Sell the app or adverts?

post #16 of 33
If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
post #17 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

why do you care?

Possibly to use facetime and imessage with people who do not have an iphone. (Which is still most of the population) Besides according to Steve Jobs Facetime was going to be open. 

post #18 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Quote:

why do you care?

Possibly to use facetime and imessage with people who do not have an iphone. (Which is still most of the population) Besides according to Steve Jobs Facetime was going to be open. 

And why do you care about his possible answer?

post #19 of 33
Quote:

Okay, gotta ask, why do you care so much about what AvS cares about?

Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
post #20 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

Great news! Now to find someone who actually owns a blackberry.....

10 billion messages a day. Can you read?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #21 of 33
As a person who loves Apple products and iMessage, I'd love to see Apple release an Android client for iMessage. I'd benefit.
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Quote:

Okay, gotta ask, why do you care so much about what AvS cares about?

Why do you care so much about why do I care about AvS cares about?

post #23 of 33

"The time is definitely right for BBM to become a multi-platform mobile service," Andrew Bocking, executive vice president of Software Product Management and Ecosystem at BlackBerry said in a press release. "BBM has always been one of the most engaging services for BlackBerry customers. Unfortunately, with so few of them remaining, we were forced to open BBM to iOS and Android users as a last ditch attempt to survive. We're all praying that it works. Please let it work. Pretty please!"

post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

why would apple go cross platform? it's a service dedicated to apple's hardware and os. having iMessage on android is like Nintendo putting Mario games on Xbox and playstation.
post #25 of 33
Quote:

Why do you care so much about why do I care about AvS cares about?

Why do you care that I care about why you care about what AvS cares about?

post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

As a person who loves Apple products and iMessage, I'd love to see Apple release an Android client for iMessage. I'd benefit.

Me too.

I'd also REALLY like them to get the OS X Messages app working. I despise typing on the tiny little iPhone keyboard and really prefer to use Messages when I'm at the computer, but I can't count on it to reliably receive or deliver messages, or even keep the ones it actually sends and receivers in the correct order.

post #27 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudiusMaximus View Post

why would apple go cross platform? it's a service dedicated to apple's hardware and os. having iMessage on android is like Nintendo putting Mario games on Xbox and playstation.

If Mario was multi-player online, would you prefer a version that only plays against other Nintendo owners or one that could include anyone in the game, regardless of which console they use?

post #28 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

I'd also REALLY like them to get the OS X Messages app working. I despise typing on the tiny little iPhone keyboard and really prefer to use Messages when I'm at the computer, but I can't count on it to reliably receive or deliver messages, or even keep the ones it actually sends and receivers in the correct order.

I had that problem at the beginning but now 'it just works' Maybe they've worked out the kinks at my end; hope they will for you too.
post #29 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I had that problem at the beginning but now 'it just works' Maybe they've worked out the kinks at my end; hope they will for you too.

As recently as yesterday it was confusing senders, skipping both sent and received messages, failing to sync conversations with the phone, and on the few exchanges it managed to track between devices, listed all of the other person's messages first followed by all of mine, rather than in the order they were sent.

Frustrating, but I remain hopeful, especially now that you've told me it's now working for you.

post #30 of 33
Quote:

As recently as yesterday it was confusing senders, skipping both sent and received messages, failing to sync conversations with the phone, and on the few exchanges it managed to track between devices, listed all of the other person's messages first followed by all of mine, rather than in the order they were sent.

Frustrating, but I remain hopeful, especially now that you've told me it's now working for you.

I've had that happen to me on several occasions.  Sometimes it happens to messages I received and read hours ago.  Usually it will go back and "fix itself" after some time passes.  I always wonder if Apple isn't performing some kind of update whenever this occurs.  At least that's what I'd like to believe...

post #31 of 33
Quote:

*sometimes* a disable, re-enable of (a specific) iCloud service works for these kinks. Because I don't know in advance if it'll work I also reboot the device, closing all apps beforehand. Might want to try that, but at the same time don't take advice from someone posting on the internet (tongue-in-cheek humor, but has its validity)
post #32 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

*sometimes* a disable, re-enable of (a specific) iCloud service works for these kinks. Because I don't know in advance if it'll work I also reboot the device, closing all apps beforehand. Might want to try that, but at the same time don't take advice from someone posting on the internet (tongue-in-cheek humor, but has its validity)

If I gotta reboot the devices and restart the apps involved every time I want to use it, I'm just gonna stop wanting to use it. The point of the exercise is convenience, so if it doesn't offer that there's no reason left to bother.

Thanks for the tip though!

post #33 of 33
Quote:

If I gotta reboot the devices and restart the apps involved every time I want to use it, I'm just gonna stop wanting to use it. The point of the exercise is convenience, so if it doesn't offer that there's no reason left to bother.

Thanks for the tip though!

The reboot is a one time only thing, and possibly not even necessary. Try it without, maybe it'll work.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › BlackBerry BBM coming to Apple's iOS, Google Android this summer