or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Obama Second Term: Scandals, bad economic performance, crony capitalism and terrible jobs for those that do have them.

The Obama Second Term: Scandals, bad economic performance, crony capitalism and terrible jobs for... - Page 2

post #41 of 51

Politico.com - Lerner the Liar

Quote:

The California Republican said Lerner’s Fifth Amendment right to avoid self-incrimination was voided when she gave an opening statement this morning denying any wrongdoing and professing pride in her government service.

Issa slams IRS watchdog

“When I asked her her questions from the very beginning, I did so so she could assert her rights prior to any statement,” Issa told POLITICO. “She chose not to do so — so she waived.”

Lerner triggered the IRS scandal on May 10 when she acknowledged that the agency wrongly targeted conservative groups applying for a tax exemption. Her lawyer told the House committee earlier this week that she would exercise her Fifth Amendment.

She appeared before Issa’s committee this morning under the order of a subpoena and surprised many by reading a strong statement to the panel.

“I have not done anything wrong,” she said. “I have not broken any laws. I have not violated any IRS rules or regulations, and I have not provided false information to this or any other committee.”

I can understand where Issa is coming from on this matter and it makes sense to me. If you assert before the committee doing the questioning that you've violated no law, rule or regulation, then you've declared there is nothing for which you can self-incriminate. This wasn't any sort of off the cuff remark either. This was her statement to the committee while under oath.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #42 of 51

Obama's War on the Free Press.

Quote:

In the case of the AP, the Obama administration secretly subpoenaed phone-call logs and other information from an office where over 100 journalists worked. Officials were on the hunt for the sources that cooperated with the AP on a story about a failed terrorist plot in Yemen. As AP head Gary Pruitt has put it, the administration’s subpoena was “so secretly, so abusively and harassingly and over-broad ... that it is an unconstitutional act.” As important, Pruitt says that the subpoena revelation has already chilled even routine news gathering, as government officials have become paranoid—with reason, perhaps—about sharing even banal sorts of information.

To make matters worse in terms of press freedom, there are many reasons to assume the Obama administration is secretly spying on many other journalists and organizations. With Fox’s Rosen, the administration got an actual warrant to read his email and contends that he has committed crimes by pursuing and publishing a story about North Korea, even though the story apparently doesn’t include any classified information per se. Rosen hasn’t been legally charged as of yet, but as Glenn Greenwald notes, the accusations against Rosen parallel government charges against WikiLeaks honcho Julian Assange. “Under U.S. law,” writes Greenwald, “it’s not illegal to publish classified information,” so the Obama administration is claiming that it’s illegal for journalists and publishers to “solicit” such information. That doesn’t simply fly in the face of the First Amendment and Vietnam-era rulings guaranteeing press freedoms, it declares “war on journalism” by essentially criminalizing the very act of investigative reporting.

Then there are Obama's illegal appointments and their lawless actions.

Quote:

So the NLRB’s rule requiring the posting was illegitimate. But, then, everything the NLRB, as currently constituted, does is illegitimate because two of its members were put in their seats by an unconstitutional act by President Obama.

What Randolph referred to early in the opinion is this: The NLRB has five seats and can act with a quorum of three members. But it does not have three. Seventeen months after the NLRB issued its rule requiring employers to post the notice, the appeals court held that the Senate was not in recess when Obama made three supposed recess appointments to the board.

The Constitution says: “The president shall have power to fill up all vacancies that may happen during the recess of the Senate.” The Constitution also says the Senate has the power to reject presidential appointments and to “determine the rules of its proceedings.” The Senate, however, said it was not in recess when Obama said it was.

So the D.C. court said those three appointees were not rightfully in office. The NLRB said it “respectfully” disagreed with the court and went its merry way, without a quorum. Absent the perfunctory expression of respect, this was pretty much what George Wallace did 50 years ago this year when he stood in the door of Foster Auditorium at the University of Alabama to prevent two young blacks from registering as students.

Nice to see that Obama is no different from Wallace and like most Democrats, will ignore any law, ruling or anything else that might inhibit his agenda. Obama has been a failure on so many fronts and it is clear he has used the power of the executive office to harass anyone who might report on it, rule on it, or challenge it. He is no different in his thinking and actions than a dictator.

post #43 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Politico.com - Lerner the Liar[

I can understand where Issa is coming from on this matter and it makes sense to me. If you assert before the committee doing the questioning that you've violated no law, rule or regulation, then you've declared there is nothing for which you can self-incriminate. This wasn't any sort of off the cuff remark either. This was her statement to the committee while under oath.

What really gets me is the hubris and complete disconnect from the American people. So far, the three IRS officials to "testify" have responded with unbelievable arrogance. They have practically mocked the bipartisan committee. And add Holder to the mix. A customer service problem? Taking the 5th? 118 visits to the White House and direct meetings with POTUS, but you never once talked about this with him? Come on. Even the Democrats on the committee are saying the answers are unacceptable and are talking about a special prosecutor. This scandal blows the others out of the water.

Quote:
Nice to see that Obama is no different from Wallace and like most Democrats, will ignore any law, ruling or anything else that might inhibit his agenda. Obama has been a failure on so many fronts and it is clear he has used the power of the executive office to harass anyone who might report on it, rule on it, or challenge it. He is no different in his thinking and actions than a dictator.

I don't look at this as a Republican/Democrat issue. This goes beyond partisanship. This is about criminal liars and incompetence. We now have verified LIES by the White House. We have people like Kirsten Powers (dem strategist) saying the President is LYING. People are going to jail here. Or let's hope.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #44 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

What really gets me is the hubris and complete disconnect from the American people. So far, the three IRS officials to "testify" have responded with unbelievable arrogance. They have practically mocked the bipartisan committee. And add Holder to the mix. A customer service problem? Taking the 5th? 118 visits to the White House and direct meetings with POTUS, but you never once talked about this with him? Come on. Even the Democrats on the committee are saying the answers are unacceptable and are talking about a special prosecutor. This scandal blows the others out of the water.

Well of course you get a disconnect when no one has held you accountable for ages. I mean I do see this as a party issue because the Democratic Party isn't a party of principle or about rule of law. They are about interest groups trying to grab, divide and share the spoils of life.

Obama wasn't elevated because he had the best ideas or the best solutions. He was elected because he checked the most interest group boxes.

So using that reasoning, whatever grows the interest groups is right and if things like laws, courts, or the Constitution get in the way then they don't count because they aren't an interest group and they don't vote.

Quote:
I don't look at this as a Republican/Democrat issue. This goes beyond partisanship. This is about criminal liars and incompetence. We now have verified LIES by the White House. We have people like Kirsten Powers (dem strategist) saying the President is LYING. People are going to jail here. Or let's hope.

I agree that rule of law shouldn't be a partisan issue but it is clear that the Democratic Party will do whatever and say whatever is necessary. They ran against the war after voting for it. Then turned around and ran the same Bush policies for the next five years all while ignoring their previous criticism of them. They swore that PAYGO and deficit spending were anti-American and harmful to our kids. Then they turned around and ran up trillion dollar a year deficits without even blinking an eye.

Of course Obama and his administration has done something here but their calculations aren't about that. Wrong got them the most votes and that makes it right.

post #45 of 51

Obama's contempt for the rule of law.

Quote:
Obama’s lawyers argued that the Senate wasn’t really in session even though it claimed to be: It was going through the motions to block Obama, but it wasn’t taking up bills or nominations. No previous president had ever tried this maneuver, and an appeals court has just ruled that it was unconstitutional.

Quote:
Obama’s IRS has decided it’s going to apply the tax credits and penalties in states that refuse, even without statutory authorization. During the recent scandal over the IRS’s harassment of conservative groups, many Republicans have warned that the IRS can’t be trusted with the new powers that the health law will give the agency. They are wrong about the verb tense: It has already abused those powers.

Quote:

That edict flew in the face of the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, which stipulated that the government can override religious conscience only when it is the least restrictive means of furthering a compelling interest. Republican senators had warned Sebelius of this issue before she imposed the rule. She has admitted that even after their letter, her department imposed it without either requesting a legal analysis from the Justice Department or producing its own memo. Most judges who have ruled on this issue, including some Democratic appointees, have found that the regulation does violate the law.

Quote:
Even if Obama were right about these policies -- and I’m sympathetic to the goal of the DREAM Act -- he went about them the wrong way, disregarding laws he swore to execute. Complaints about Republican obstructionism are no excuse. Even if the Republicans are behaving badly, they have at least acted lawfully in opposing the president.

Quote:
The president’s routine violation of the law that he is supposed to uphold isn’t covered in the media as a scandal. It ought to be.

What do you have when the government cannot enforce or follow rule of law? What it the point of regulation and legislation if it is to be ignored, selectively enforced, or used to persecute someone?

post #46 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Well of course you get a disconnect when no one has held you accountable for ages. I mean I do see this as a party issue because the Democratic Party isn't a party of principle or about rule of law. They are about interest groups trying to grab, divide and share the spoils of life.

Obama wasn't elevated because he had the best ideas or the best solutions. He was elected because he checked the most interest group boxes.

So using that reasoning, whatever grows the interest groups is right and if things like laws, courts, or the Constitution get in the way then they don't count because they aren't an interest group and they don't vote.

I agree that rule of law shouldn't be a partisan issue but it is clear that the Democratic Party will do whatever and say whatever is necessary. They ran against the war after voting for it. Then turned around and ran the same Bush policies for the next five years all while ignoring their previous criticism of them. They swore that PAYGO and deficit spending were anti-American and harmful to our kids. Then they turned around and ran up trillion dollar a year deficits without even blinking an eye.

Of course Obama and his administration has done something here but their calculations aren't about that. Wrong got them the most votes and that makes it right.

Good points, especially if one believes that Obama is an Alinsky-ite.  What people fail to realize is that "remaking America" wasn't a lie.  It's just that he meant something different than people thought.  They thought he meant pulling troops from Iraq, building roads, and bridges, and schools.  What he actually meant was expanding the administrative state and growing government exponentially.  He meant that expanding entitlements and social welfare programs were good things.  He meant that he would correct our "unfair and mean" system.   And he apparently meant spreading Chicago Way Thuggery.   

post #47 of 51

Obama administration caught using secret email accounts that might be operating outside freedom of information rules.

This is beyond being inept or incompetent. This is corrupt and sinister. No wonder their defenders have disappeared from PO.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #48 of 51

The people voted for him the second time. They get what they deserve now.

post #49 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Obama administration caught using secret email accounts that might be operating outside freedom of information rules.

This is beyond being inept or incompetent. This is corrupt and sinister. No wonder their defenders have disappeared from PO.

There's nothing left to defend.  Only the loonies are at it now.  Even the NYT has bailed.  

post #50 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

On another related issue: Now they are telling us that the IRS' targeting of conservative groups is the work of two "rogue workers". They said the same thing about Abu Ghraib prisoner torture disgrace... a few low ranking troops took the rap for carrying out orders that originated at the very top of the chain of command. 

But dont ask questions.....

This obedience to authority, this transfer of responsibility, is not just part of the military, police, and IRS, it is also what happens in the political processes like voting. One party will blame the other party for failures, while the politicians act as the authority figures taking on the appearance of responsibility so the public can continue the "experiment".

If you have a bit more time:

Edited by sp0ngebath - 6/12/13 at 10:29pm
post #51 of 51

I guess the only thing left which will never happen is to Impeach Obama. This of course will never occur.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Obama Second Term: Scandals, bad economic performance, crony capitalism and terrible jobs for those that do have them.