or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Server-side update makes Siri a stickler for succinctness
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Server-side update makes Siri a stickler for succinctness - Page 2

post #41 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc.

 

Not in this case. This is direct cause and effect. Siri used to accept input as presented without argument. Now it tells him to do it again, but more succinctly. He is objecting to the way it operates, not grasping for a cause.

post #42 of 68
Message. Just going to keep talking and talking and talking and talking and talking and talking and talking and talking and talking. Did anyone catch modern family last night. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Was going to see Star Trek tomorrow? I'm looking forward to it however I do think it's right that JJ Abrams gets Star Trek and Star Wars.


So all that was done with Siri dictation and it didn't cut me off.


edit: If you're not happy with dictation from the browser, despite it still accessing the same service, I have one repeating that message from the locked phone where I tell Siri I want to send a text message, but I'll need to edit out the send-to name I used before I post the picture.

The bottom line is a coincidental occurrence doesn't mean you're service is affected, and the notion that no one can ever more than 82 characters (which is half a text message) without it saying it's too long it's complete bullshit.
Edited by SolipsismX - 5/16/13 at 11:23am

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #43 of 68
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
So all that was done with Siri dictation and it didn't cut me off.

 

On an iOS device? Dictation as in the keyboard dictation directly on the forum or via Siri into Messages and you've copied it here?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #44 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

On an iOS device? Dictation as in the keyboard dictation directly on the forum or via Siri into Messages and you've copied it here?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #45 of 68
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
[image]

 

Makes me wonder what the conditions really are for getting her to say that.

 

"Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?"

 

EDIT: Nope, she handles that… 

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #46 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Makes me wonder what the conditions really are for getting her to say that.

"Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?"

EDIT: Nope, she handles that… 

Servers happen to be overloaded? The connection speed is poor thus making the time to transmit the voice data too long to be feasible? I have no idea but I have yet to have an issue. All my tests have been via WiFi to a fast cable internet connection, but that's irrelevant to the claim that it can't even do a half a text message.


edit: BTW, that's just in regards to the OP's specific issue, not with this article that is having Siri teach users that while a more wordy request might be ideal for humans a less wordy request is better for a computer's ability to parse data, which has no barring on dictation.
Edited by SolipsismX - 5/16/13 at 12:08pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #47 of 68

Mine was simple when I did it earlier this week:

Quote:
Text my wife Can you get some coffee and stop by Starbucks on your way? Its got a drive through.

 

With that - I got the message it was too long. To be honest I haven't tried it since because since then, uncharacteristically I haven't had to leave the house. But you agree that the above message is short enough? Its possible Apple has removed or tweaked it. If so - good. This was a stupid idea on their part.

post #48 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
edit: BTW, that's just in regards to the OP's specific issue, not with this article that is having Siri teach users that while a more wordy request might be ideal for humans a less wordy request is better for a computer's ability to parse data, which has no barring on dictation.

 

Siri's whole point is that it understands like a human. Apple's whole DNA is about working like a human does, not how a computer does.

 

Irregardless however is that the error that Siri was presenting was not about wordy requests. The only request was "text my wife". The rest of the message was dictation.. and for that reason this error message is wrong. 

 

I honestly can't see how you can support this change. I'll try it again soon to see if they have changed things.

post #49 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akac View Post

Mine was simple when I did it earlier this week:

With that - I got the message it was too long. To be honest I haven't tried it since because since then, uncharacteristically I haven't had to leave the house. But you agree that the above message is short enough? Its possible Apple has removed or tweaked it. If so - good. This was a stupid idea on their part.

As shown several time much longer messages have been and still working as they should. That should make you consider why your message didn't work. Are you completely sure your dictation was too long; not your query? If you don't understand what I mean by that then you've made my case. Hint: It sounds like you're conflating two things. Have you tried to send that exact same message again?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #50 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


As shown several time much longer messages have been and still working as they should. That should make you consider why your message didn't work. Are you completely sure your dictation was too long; not your query? If you don't understand what I mean by that then you've made my case. Have you tried to send that exact same message again? Di

 

Seriously you're still supporting that my dictation was too long? I've been using Siri since it first came out and I've done texts WAY longer than that. How can you possibly support this? Its like you're on some sort of blind drive that Apple can do no wrong. 

 

Look I'm a developer and I worked at Apple. In both cases it was and still is extremely important to identify when you're wrong, when you do things that simply don't work. 

 

I gave you the exact text I dictated to Siri. You have to admit that it was not too long. No I have not tried it since because I haven't needed to. I will try it again when I need to, not because some person on AI bullied me to. 


The point I am making is that the original issue - whether it exists or not today - was a mistake by Apple. If they fixed it by now, then great and I'll be quite happy about it because I like using Siri. I am only talking about my original experience because you're attacking that. 

post #51 of 68

So I tried it just now because I was curious if they have resolved the issue - it seems they have which is great.

 

However every single post I wrote was to support my original event and I still stand by all of them. Period.

post #52 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akac View Post

Seriously you're still supporting that my dictation was too long?

No! Which is the part you clearly aren't understanding about this conversion, this change in Siri, and your fallacious post hoc ergo propter hoc conclusion.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #53 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


No! Which is the part you clearly aren't understanding about this conversion, this change in Siri, and your fallacious post hoc ergo propter hoc conclusion.

 

What are you talking about? I clearly understand the conversation. Apple made a change to Siri that was bad. I wrote about that. Nothing else. Its obvious they fixed the problem or tweaked it based on negative reports. 

You could've simply said that "Your issue existed, but now doesn't." Instead you argue for no reason except to see your words on a page it seems. You're acting like one of my children did years back when I had to explain to them they didn't need to put others down to raise themselves up. 

post #54 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akac View Post

What are you talking about? I clearly understand the conversation. Apple made a change to Siri that was bad. I wrote about that. Nothing else. Its obvious they fixed the problem or tweaked it based on negative reports. 


You could've simply said that "Your issue existed, but now doesn't." Instead you argue for no reason except to see your words on a page it seems. You're acting like one of my children did years back when I had to explain to them they didn't need to put others down to raise themselves up. 

This is exactly my point. You don't understand that dictation is not the same a query. You think that it's more likely that you read an article about a change and Siri didn't work properly once so make a connection that you would have otherwise ignored. You think it's more likely that Siri made it impossible for you to dictate "half a text message" as opposed to Siri simply not properly understanding and parsing your initial query to send a text message in the first place. You are not realizing that Siri first has to understand the initial triggers that you want to 1) send a text message, and 2) send it to a particular person. If it doesn't properly pick up on that fact then all dictation immediately following is wasted. I can't tell you how many times Siri missed that and said it didn't understand or wanted to search the web instead, but you've ignored those to instead state that Siri had an issue with the length of your dictation and only your dictation with a leading message but I don't recall mentioning that you had the standard leading message that said "What message do you want to send to [your wife]?"
Edited by SolipsismX - 5/17/13 at 10:01am

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #55 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This is exactly my point. You don't understand that dictation is not the same a query. You think that it's more likely that you read an article about a change and Siri didn't work properly once so make a connection that you would have otherwise ignored. You think it's more likely that Siri made it impossible for you to dictate "half a text message" as opposed to Siri simply not properly understanding and parsing your initial query to send a text message in the first place. You are not realizing that Siri first has to understand the initial triggers that you want to 1) send a text message, and 2) send it to a particular person. If it doesn't properly pick up on that fact then all dictation immediately following is wasted. I can't tell you how many times Siri missed that and said it didn't understand or wanted to search the web instead, but you've ignored those to instead state that Siri had an issue with the length of your dictation and only your dictation with a leading message but I don't recall mentioning that you had the standard leading message that said "What message do you want to send to [your wife]?"
I think you are assuming that he is wrong and you don't have all the facts. Maybe Siri was giving this message in error on texts and that has been fixed but I received it myself several times on texts. So for you to assume he is wrong just because the issue may now be fixed is ridiculous. I tried every way possible to send texts and received this message many times. I did in fact try the method of send message to... Then wait for Siri to ask what I wanted to say and I still got one of her smart assed replies. Like I said, maybe that was an error and has since been fixed, but you can't argue with me that it happened and it was a horrible user experience. I have a very long commute to work and use Siri quite often while driving. Never had a problem before this. It did happen. Apple made a mistake and it sounds like they have hopefully corrected it.
post #56 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndirishfan1975 View Post

Never had a problem before this. It did happen.

It is so statistically unlikely that you've never once tried to use Siri and not been able to connect or get the result you intended that it's bullshit. You may want to look up the word apophenia.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #57 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It is so statistically unlikely that you've never once tried to use Siri and not been able to connect or get the result you intended that it's bullshit. You may want to look up the word apophenia.
Way to take one line and blow it completely out of context and ignore the main issue of the post. Well done. Obviously I have had issues where Siri has misunderstood something I said or cut me off in the middle if talking but I've never had an issue before where I was completely unable to get her to send a message I was attempting to send because she thought it was too long. And in fact they are not unrelated because I got the same smart assed responses that the article was talking about.
Maybe you should look up the term jack ass
post #58 of 68
Update: I just attempted to use Siri to send a long message to my wife and it worked fine. Once again, it appears that Apple has corrected what was obviously a mistake but that doesn't mean the issue never happened.
post #59 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndirishfan1975 View Post

Way to take one line and blow it completely out of context and ignore the main issue of the post. Well done. Obviously I have had issues where Siri has misunderstood something I said or cut me off in the middle if talking but I've never had an issue before where I was completely unable to get her to send a message I was attempting to send because she thought it was too long. And in fact they are not unrelated because I got the same smart assed responses that the article was talking about.
Maybe you should look up the term jack ass

1) Don't recall to name calling because I called you on your obvious exaggeration.

2) It's not fault you and the OP have resort to conflating two incidents and direct interconnected despite having no proof to support your feelings except a relative timeline that you're both only aware of because of a noted change via this site despite the actual change happening a week or two prior. Even Dirk Gently would look for a more plausible answer.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #60 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


1) Don't recall to name calling because I called you on your obvious exaggeration.

2) It's not fault you and the OP have resort to conflating two incidents and direct interconnected despite having no proof to support your feelings except a relative timeline that you're both only aware of because of a noted change via this site despite the actual change happening a week or two prior. Even Dirk Gently would look for a more plausible answer.

1. You are right, I shouldn't have resorted to name calling and I apologize.  In a way though my first statement was correct.  While I have experienced problems with Siri misunderstanding me or not connecting in the past, I was never before completely unable to send the message that I wanted to send because Siri happened to think it was too long.

 

2. The reason I was frustrated and resorted to name calling was because I don't like people trying to explain to me that something didn't happen when in fact I know that it happened. You are going off conjecture and supposition and trying to explain away something that I experienced.  I know how to use Siri.  I used it thousands of times to send messages to people.  Apple made a change to Siri and the service stopped working as it had in the past.  Evidently they have realized their error and fixed the messaging to work correctly; however, that does not mean that it wasn't working incorrectly before.  And its insulting for you to try to imply that I am confused or don't know how to use my phone because you evidently don't want to admit that Apple made a mistake.  As I have said multiple times in this thread, I attempted to send this message many different ways and all of them gave me back one of Siri's lovely new smart ass replies.  If it was unrelated to what the article is talking about then why would I have received the exact replies that are mentioned in the article?

 

I am the first to admit that there are many people on this forum who are much more versed than I in matters of programming and code, but I do know how to use my phone.

post #61 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndirishfan1975 View Post

1. You are right, I shouldn't have resorted to name calling and I apologize.  In a way though my first statement was correct.  While I have experienced problems with Siri misunderstanding me or not connecting in the past, I was never before completely unable to send the message that I wanted to send because Siri happened to think it was too long.

2. The reason I was frustrated and resorted to name calling was because I don't like people trying to explain to me that something didn't happen when in fact I know that it happened. You are going off conjecture and supposition and trying to explain away something that I experienced.  I know how to use Siri.  I used it thousands of times to send messages to people.  Apple made a change to Siri and the service stopped working as it had in the past.  Evidently they have realized their error and fixed the messaging to work correctly; however, that does not mean that it wasn't working incorrectly before.  And its insulting for you to try to imply that I am confused or don't know how to use my phone because you evidently don't want to admit that Apple made a mistake.  As I have said multiple times in this thread, I attempted to send this message many different ways and all of them gave me back one of Siri's lovely new smart ass replies.  If it was unrelated to what the article is talking about then why would I have received the exact replies that are mentioned in the article?

I am the first to admit that there are many people on this forum who are much more versed than I in matters of programming and code, but I do know how to use my phone.

I have no doubt that you and the OP experienced something wonky with Siri around the same time this article was posted, but that doesn't mean you can draw a conclusion and then state it as the only possible reason for the issue. As it's been shown many times this change to Siri occurred well before your incident, did affect everyone despite this being a server-side change, and both you and OP have repeatedly failed to show any evidence your accusations are the only possible reason for the issue you experienced. I gave several examples of how this could be misconstrued and perceived as something that its not. You are in no way required to agree with my examples but I think you'd be a fool ignore them given the evidence at hand. Even now you have failed to state that you set up the initial message by saying "Send a message to ..." and then after it prompted you for the next step which is merely dictation it wouldn't allow you to make more than 82 characters worth of waveforms before telling you it's too long.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #62 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I have no doubt that you and the OP experienced something wonky with Siri around the same time this article was posted, but that doesn't mean you can draw a conclusion and then state it as the only possible reason for the issue. As it's been shown many times this change to Siri occurred well before your incident, did affect everyone despite this being a server-side change, and both you and OP have repeatedly failed to show any evidence your accusations are the only possible reason for the issue you experienced. I gave several examples of how this could be misconstrued and perceived as something that its not. You are in no way required to agree with my examples but I think you'd be a fool ignore them given the evidence at hand. Even now you have failed to state that you set up the initial message by saying "Send a message to ..." and then after it prompted you for the next step which is merely dictation it wouldn't allow you to make more than 82 characters worth of waveforms before telling you it's too long.
Just a couple of side notes....
1. I did in fact in a couple of earlier messages say that I used the exact method you are describing
2. My issue with Siri first happened about a week or two before this article was published. I was actually the first one to respond to this article because I had been so frustrated by this happening to me.
3. Thank you for at least admitting that something could have been wrong with Siri and that I'm not an idiot who can't figure out how to say "send message to"
post #63 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I have no doubt that you and the OP experienced something wonky with Siri around the same time this article was posted, but that doesn't mean you can draw a conclusion and then state it as the only possible reason for the issue. As it's been shown many times this change to Siri occurred well before your incident, did affect everyone despite this being a server-side change, and both you and OP have repeatedly failed to show any evidence your accusations are the only possible reason for the issue you experienced. I gave several examples of how this could be misconstrued and perceived as something that its not. You are in no way required to agree with my examples but I think you'd be a fool ignore them given the evidence at hand. Even now you have failed to state that you set up the initial message by saying "Send a message to ..." and then after it prompted you for the next step which is merely dictation it wouldn't allow you to make more than 82 characters worth of waveforms before telling you it's too long.
Just a couple of side notes....
1. I did in fact in a couple of earlier messages say that I used the exact method you are describing
2. My issue with Siri first happened about a week or two before this article was published. I was actually the first one to respond to this article because I had been so frustrated by this happening to me.
3. Thank you for at least admitting that something could have been wrong with Siri and that I'm not an idiot who can't figure out how to say "send message to"
post #64 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I have no doubt that you and the OP experienced something wonky with Siri around the same time this article was posted, but that doesn't mean you can draw a conclusion and then state it as the only possible reason for the issue. As it's been shown many times this change to Siri occurred well before your incident, did affect everyone despite this being a server-side change, and both you and OP have repeatedly failed to show any evidence your accusations are the only possible reason for the issue you experienced. I gave several examples of how this could be misconstrued and perceived as something that its not. You are in no way required to agree with my examples but I think you'd be a fool ignore them given the evidence at hand. Even now you have failed to state that you set up the initial message by saying "Send a message to ..." and then after it prompted you for the next step which is merely dictation it wouldn't allow you to make more than 82 characters worth of waveforms before telling you it's too long.
Just a couple of side notes....
1. I did in fact in a couple of earlier messages say that I used the exact method you are describing
2. My issue with Siri first happened about a week or two before this article was published. I was actually the first one to respond to this article because I had been so frustrated by this happening to me.
3. Thank you for at least admitting that something could have been wrong with Siri and that I'm not an idiot who can't figure out how to say "send message to"
post #65 of 68
Evidently though I am an idiot who hits reply multiple times and gets three identical posts....
post #66 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndirishfan1975 View Post

3. Thank you for at least admitting that something could have been wrong with Siri and that I'm not an idiot who can't figure out how to say "send message to"

I stated that from the get-go. I very clearly addressed several possibilities as to how Siri may have not been able to process the speaker's request. The difference is I opened it to up multiple reasons instead of ignoring all feasible possibilities instead of just a single possible answer.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #67 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndirishfan1975 View Post

Evidently though I am an idiot who hits reply multiple times and gets three identical posts....

This new forum software is quite annoying in that it doesn't look for duplicate posts within a reasonable time frame, which is further complicated by the code not necessarily showing you that it's working as soon as you hit Submit. I can't be sure but a couple times I could swear I only hit Submit once yet it still issued multiple duplicate replies.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #68 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This new forum software is quite annoying in that it doesn't look for duplicate posts within a reasonable time frame, which is further complicated by the code not necessarily showing you that it's working as soon as you hit Submit. I can't be sure but a couple times I could swear I only hit Submit once yet it still issued multiple duplicate replies.
Add that to the fact that I am on my iPad mini using the iPhone app because AI doesn't have an iPad app and my wifi has been acting up... All in all I am pretty sure that its because of the new Siri flaw
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Server-side update makes Siri a stickler for succinctness