or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Mobile malware exploding, but only for Android

Mobile malware exploding, but only for Android - Page 4

post #121 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

The difference in security approaches is manifest by simply considering one simple "feature" of each product:

• Samsung Galaxy S4 (released 21 days ago) already has root methods allowing the installation of custom ROMs, in fact, some root methods were released within days of the product release
  • Apple iPhone 5 required nearly six months to jailbreak

Anyone who thinks Google or Samsung take security seriously is seriously delusional.

That's because because Samsung allows it as do other Android phone manufactures, they even go as far as posting a how to guide in their user forums and provide flashing utilities. Rooting a phone is meant for developers, you can't root a phone maliciously unless the user consciously makes the decision to do so. Actually because of rooting Dev's can make their phones more secure by patching any security holes quicker then a manufacture does. I absolutely love having a phone that I can root and customize to my hearts content but I'm a programmer and I know what I'm doing. I built a custom ROM for my phone that resembles more of a Linux OS as I have installed a NAS server, LAMP, every scripting language that I could think of, even Xwindows. I agree a normal user is probably better off with a Windows 8 phone or an iPhone.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #122 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

That's because because Samsung allows it as do other Android phone manufactures, they even go as far as posting a how to guide in their user forums and provide flashing utilities. Rooting a phone is meant for developers, you can't root a phone maliciously unless the user consciously makes the decision to do so. Actually because of rooting Dev's can make their phones more secure by patching any security holes quicker then a manufacture does. I absolutely love having a phone that I can root and customize to my hearts content but I'm a programmer and I know what I'm doing. I built a custom ROM for my phone that resembles more of a Linux OS as I have installed a NAS server, LAMP, every scripting language that I could think of, even Xwindows. I agree a normal user is probably better off with a Windows 8 phone or an iPhone.

Can you provide a link to the software Samsung supplies to override the locked boot loaders they ship their phones with?
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #123 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Can you provide a link to the software Samsung supplies to override the locked boot loaders they ship their phones with?

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/official-and-confirmed-att-galaxy-s-4-is-bootloader-locked/
For those curious about it, explains why the international versions have unlocked bootloaders (as does T-Mobile's S4) while notably Verizon and now ATT lock'em down.

There's also the stock Android version of the S4 shipping soon which would also have an unlocked bootloader (of course).
Edited by Gatorguy - 6/10/13 at 7:19am
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Mobile malware exploding, but only for Android