or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google announces 900 million Android activations, 48 billion app installs

Google announces 900 million Android activations, 48 billion app installs - Page 2

post #41 of 82
How many of those apps were malware? Hmm...
post #42 of 82
Apple has the 50 Billion Apps Thank You message already on their homepage (behind the current carousel images).
post #43 of 82

I've got to agree with Google CEO Larry Page - Technology isn't a zero-sum game.

There's enough room in the world for both Google and Apple. Both can be successful and fans of both can be happy. 

There's no need to hate. 1smile.gif

post #44 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Exactly. And is this cumulative activations? So devices that are no longer being used are still counted?

Yes which I think is idiotic. Is it device activations or unique users?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #45 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Yes which I think is idiotic. Is it device activations or unique users?

Activations. That is really the truly clear value we do know. It would be nice to know the number of users and installed base, too. I think it's clear the number of total unique users and installed base are much higher than iOS. That said, when you consider the customer loyalty (repeat customers) and percentage of devices still in use I think Apple would be the clear leader.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #46 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Activations. That is really the truly clear value we do know. It would be nice to know the number of users and installed base, too. I think it's clear the number of total unique users and installed base are much higher than iOS. That said, when you consider the customer loyalty (repeat customers) and percentage of devices still in use I think Apple would be the clear leader.

That's what I figured but seeing the sales reports of HTC, Motorola, LG, etc... who's selling the phones used to activate these accounts? Samsung has only really taken off in the last year or so.
post #47 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

The conference - I am watching it - is ridiculously good. Some is catch up with iOS, but most is taking over.

Fact is Apple has been doing very little in iOS comparatively to Android. Which is not sustainable. iOS 6 added very little, except the useless to most Passbook, a flawed Maps which was a backward step, and one or two minor improvements to the phone app, and it removed some stuff. To most people who downloaded it, there was nothing, Just a regression. In fact its hard to know what the OS team was doing, I can only assume that there is big stuff coming in iOS7.

And I also don't think that Apple employ enough people. 

Added LTE among other things you wilfully ignore with your propaganda.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #48 of 82
Quote:

That's what I figured but seeing the sales reports of HTC, Motorola, LG, etc... who's selling the phones used to activate these accounts? Samsung has only really taken off in the last year or so.

Those are just the big names. Amazon has countless brands of Android-based devices so I'd assume that Brazil, India, China, and most other countries have plenty of local brands that sell cheap Android-based phone running the older OS versions.

post #49 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

Google is only talking about their own Play store. There are many many android app stores out there that require the phone user to override android's security feature that prevents installation of apps outside of the Google Play store. Those third party app stores are where all the malware live. Don't use third party app stores (mostly used in other countries anyway) and there is no malware problem.

I'd imagine that the amount of malware in those third party foreign app stores in insane tho.

So, like Samsung Hub?

You'd better stop wasting time here and head to Samsung's forums so you can warn them about the "insane" amount of malware living in this "third party" application repository from a foreign country.

post #50 of 82
Quote:

Just like with all of Google's Android "activations" I think this new number falls inline with the others. Samsung isn't the only company selling Android-based devices in volume, they are just the only one really making any profit from it. That's because they are selling well marketed, well built, and popular higher-end Android-based devices. There appear to be plenty of cheap Android-based devices that don't get used much on the internet and that don't make any real profits for the companies making them. Android has effectively replaced Symbian as the new feature phone OS.

A 16GB equipped phone with only 8GB of free user space is NOT well built.

post #51 of 82
From China mobile marketing research (been repost to death since Feb 2013)

China sold 150 million phones last year.

Apple has 6% market share account for 60% of profit.

Samsung 20+% market share 30% of profit.

The rest HTC, Sony, LG, Nokia, BB didn't lose money and account for (combine 10%ish profit/market - I could be wrong, might be lower)

Then this get interesting - the Chinese vendors account for the rest of sales but some are making -1% profit. Meaning they are selling them at lost. How long do you think this is going to last?

OK to those troll keep saying a bigger iPhone , I will happily buy one if and when it comes out. But in the meantime, if you want a bigger phone then get an android. Is that too hard? Why bother us happy iOS users?

BTW I collect iPhones, I am still trying to find the original first iPhone in good condition. I keep everyone I bought. My 3GS still working like it should with the latest iOS 6. Show me a 3+ years old smart phone that is not Apple and ... You know what I am going to say.

To those who say "ego system need numbers" Apple has 500 million iOS devices in the wild , did anyone forget iPod? If that's not big enough ego system, I really don't know what is.

BTW 800 million people in China has mobile phone - over 1 billion devices in use (I carry 3 phones when I am on business in China, 4 different numbers) many people I know (including myself) has Android and iPhone. Sadly, my Note II is a bit better than a Newton (at least it's not in a box sitting on a bookcase somewhere) and people (yes real people that use their phone for business, not kids crying for candy when they haven't even chew the shit in the mouth) always use iPhone instead.

Goodnight and thanks for another wonderful freak show by a bunch of trolls.

Yours truly.

Joel

P.S. the only thing worth cheer from this year's google IO - it's Android studio. Oh well, better late for 5 years then never.
post #52 of 82
Quote:

Those are just the big names. Amazon has countless brands of Android-based devices so I'd assume that Brazil, India, China, and most other countries have plenty of local brands that sell cheap Android-based phone running the older OS versions.

Does Amazon's forked version of Android count as activations? Everything is handled outside of Google's realm so how do they know?
post #53 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

How many of them are uninstalled immediately after the first run? 47 billion? Roughly.

A little bit exasperated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_mac_lover View Post

How many of them are real smartphone users ?
Yes probably about 50% of multi year users have a relationship with google(freind discount, worker, etc.)
post #54 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

A 16GB equipped phone with only 8GB of free user space is NOT well built.

That's the SW add-ons from Samsung. Taking up that much space certainly points to not being well built code but their HW is well built. Not even close to iPhone quality but still pretty good for Android market to put it in the higher-end.

Quote:

Does Amazon's forked version of Android count as activations? Everything is handled outside of Google's realm so how do they know?

They don't. None of the forked versions count.

post #55 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

And is this cumulative activations? So devices that are no longer being used are still counted?

Yes, it's the grand total.

It's the same as when we see articles that report, "500 million iOS devices have been sold", even though half of the people who have upgraded stuck their old device in a drawer each time.

Edit:  I see SoX has already answered about Amazon:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/27/2827545/andy-rubin-850k-android-activations-a-day-300m-total-devices-12m

post #56 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

It's the same as when we see articles that report, "500 million iOS devices have been sold".

Edit:  I see sX has already answered about Amazon.

Thanks for the link.
post #57 of 82

Schmidt must be really reaching to come up with his numbers. I suspect that much of those "activations" were not smart phones. Then when you do the math, you see that each and every phone must have 50 apps on it. THAT doesn't compute unless people download one crap app after another and dump them due to poor screen fit or poor play/usefulness. 

The numbers don't add up.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #58 of 82
Well we know they weren't tablets.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #59 of 82

In other words, Google is jumping up and down and yelling ME TOO ME TOO! LOOK AT ME!

post #60 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Google hype machine on steriods.  Stock will probably go up $30 today.

Good call.  Sad when this can be predicted based on statements without waiting for the substance.

post #61 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

50 apps isn't that many.
post #62 of 82
Quote:

50 apps isn't that many.
Not if Apple has pushed 50B apps with fewer iOS devices.
post #63 of 82
Duplicate
post #64 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Not if Apple has pushed 50B apps with fewer iOS devices.

Huh? I figure that would make it more obvious.
post #65 of 82
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post
Sad if you like Apple. Good news if you like Google.

It is a post Apple era.

Don't you have a shrine of Eric Schmidt to sacrifice a virgin in front of? Best get on that.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #66 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Don't you have a shrine of Eric Schmidt to sacrifice a virgin in front of? Best get on that.

Would a just moments ago virgin count?
post #67 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

How much of those are the crippled modern equivalent of feature phones and barely ever get used as smartphones (little or no web surfing, little or no app installs)? I would guess a lot. 10%? 25%? 50%?

Shhhhh..... All the Google shills will tell you you're lying. Every time I list a bunch of Android phones which the manufacturers call 'feature phones', they deny it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

They could get away with 35% gross margins. $150 cost + 35% = $200. 

That's not how gross margins are calculated. If the cost is $150 and selling price is $200, that's a 25% gross margin.

You're referring to markup - which is a term that manufacturers rarely use. It is sometimes used on retail, though.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #68 of 82
Nice. 48 billion more "potential malware" downloads now in the wild...
Edited by tribalogical - 5/15/13 at 7:02pm
post #69 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Shhhhh..... All the Google shills will tell you you're lying. Every time I list a bunch of Android phones which the manufacturers call 'feature phones', they deny it.

You've never listed even one. You imagined a couple, looked into the future thinking you might see one and didn't know a couple you said ran Android really didn't. That was your list, funny as it was.

But yes, no doubt some smartphone users only use them as, well. . . phones, with perhaps a few texts thrown in here and there. No surprise as some of them are free with the contract.  That would include some iPhones and their users too. Still there are likely more Android smartphone users that use their devices like feature-phones.

Edited by Gatorguy - 5/15/13 at 6:58pm
post #70 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Apple clearly need a bigger screen, and cheaper models...

"Clearly"? I don't see anything to indicate that they "need" those things at all. Just because you and a VERY few other people in the world say so? Interestingly, even FEWER of those saying "Apple need these things" ALSO say they would buy one or the other or both… on the contrary, I don't see many of the people promoting bigger/cheaper ALSO saying "I'd buy one". M-hm...

Right now, I can buy an iPhone 4S for $99 with contract. Get an iPhone 4 for $0 with contract. Why do I need a CHEAP phone?? Cheap in both quality AND price? No thanks...

I also do NOT need a phone with a 5" (or larger) 'phablet' screen, nor do 98% of the market apparently, having recently read a study/analysis that CLEARLY shows those oversized phones are gaining far fewer sales than the 'buzz' implies… maybe 2% of market at best.

And what does Apple really need with a "cheap", contract-free iPhone? Wouldn't that just be a stock-price killer? Since half the reason given by "the market" for the recent downturns was "shrinking profit margins", wouldn't a 'cheaper phone' just add to the lower margins and stock price woes?

Stuff and nonsense, I say...

post #71 of 82
Quote:

It's the same as when we see articles that report, "500 million iOS devices have been sold", even though half of the people who have upgraded stuck their old device in a drawer each time.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/27/2827545/andy-rubin-850k-android-activations-a-day-300m-total-devices-12m

The difference Apple states how many iPhones they ship and that many iPhones are reused as iPods (when replaced) or sold to a new user.
post #72 of 82
Quote:

None of my (3) ex-iPhones ended up in a drawer… all of them (even my original iPhone 01) is still in use by friends or family members here and there. I'm still using my 3GS, and will "hand down" that one to my nephew when I upgrade this year.

My almost 4-year-old iPod Touch is still in service too, used as a full-service "PDA" by a colleague…  

So of course I'm not sure, but I suspect a much larger percentage of those older iOS devices are still in service than the "half" you presumed. Aside from the fact that their build quality means they keep on working for years, they almost all still run the latest version of iOS. I know a lot of iOS users and absolutely NONE have relegated their "old models" to a drawer...

post #73 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I have been pouding this too. To support the ecosystem you need to maintain critical mass. Since Apple is the only maker of iOS hardware it must do something about the low end in emerging markets. I dont care if they dont sell the low end phone is rich countries, but they need to offer something in China and India ASAP before its too late. Apple is getting is butt kick everywhere exept North America and the UK.

In rich countries, Apple need to come back on top and stop getting own in both hardware and software. Apple also need to expand the ecosystem, again, because its the only maker of iOS hardware. TV, game console, watch...   Its great to see them in cars now, but they need rapid expansion of the ecosystem. This may sound silly but they should buy Nest termostats, its a drop in the bucket but thats a good example of innovation.

At the mimimum they need partners for markets they dont want to get into, license iOS for those markets at least. They did it with cars. I cannot stress enough that the ecosystem is key here, at some point people will want an ecosystem that links everything.

WTF good is an ecosystem if the people you are targeting DON'T USE IT!?! The economies you just mentioned DO NOT PURCHASE APPS, music, TV shows or movies! Please do tell what part of the ecosystem they use? It's free ad services.... and even THOSE are more profitable to the companies that offer them, coming from iOS users.

There's probably a 50:50 profitability break even point at 100 billion Android apps to 1 billion iOS App downloads.

The only ecosystem that is profitable for our exalted competition in Mountain View, is the Android Malware Ecosystem™. Those that develop it and the unsuspecting that use that system are making Samsung and the dev's rich.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #74 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

900 million? Wow. That's a LOT of suckers.
You're Google's product. You're just eyeballs on ads.

And in countries on prepay some of them are folks who can't afford an iPhone and see it as a desirable device, but one that's too expensive. I can tell you with certainty that basically every one of my extended relations would own an iPhone if they were more affordable. Apple has real work to do in this area. 2013 will be a crucial year for the iPhone. If they have an intelligent solution to accompany the 5S product this year, then it will be a very interesting year. Reducing the price of their old phones is well and good, but I'd personally rather they had an affordable version of the 5S, made of plastic with lower storage and a crappier camera, without the fingerprint sensor, but with the exact same display and perhaps even the same proc. cost wise it makes no different to Apple which processor they add. And they should reduce the price of the 5S.

In Ireland the iPhone 5 costs €679 the 4S €579, and the 4 €399.

This year I'd rather see the 5S (or 6) start at €499, and the plastic version at €349 ideally (but even €399).
Those price points would be killer for the iPhone.
And the "iPhone +" could be €599.

How you market a plastic iPhone for €349-399, I don't know. "iPhone -" Haha.
Edited by Ireland - 5/16/13 at 5:30am
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #75 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

So of course I'm not sure, but I suspect a much larger percentage of those older iOS devices are still in service than the "half" you presumed. 

I was going by a report I grabbed last year which asked what people did with their old phones when they upgraded.

About half sold / gifted their previous iPhone.  About half kept it as a souvenir.

No doubt iPhones are passed down or sold more often, because they're more desirable when used.

At the same time, many of the people I know have enough wealth to not need to sell their old phones, and they keep their kids updated as well.  (The only person I know who consistently has had to sell his old iPhone to upgrade, is my younger stepson.  He needs the cash more.)

post #76 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I've got to agree with Google CEO Larry Page - Technology isn't a zero-sum game.

There's enough room in the world for both Google and Apple. Both can be successful and fans of both can be happy. 

There's no need to hate. 1smile.gif

Quote:

I was going by a report I grabbed last year which asked what people did with their old phones when they upgraded.

About half sold / gifted their previous iPhone.  About half kept it as a souvenir.

No doubt iPhones are passed down or sold more often, because they're more desirable when used.

At the same time, many of the people I know have enough wealth to not need to sell their old phones, and they keep their kids updated as well.  (The only person I know who consistently has had to sell his old iPhone to upgrade, is my younger stepson.  He needs the cash more.)

Yes I bet there is a greater percentage of iPhones in use  relative to the numbers sold/activated. Apple either need to make this more obvious - by just mentioning it more - or make it less of an issue to buy a cheaper iPhone.

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #77 of 82
Quote:

According to Google themselves, around 60% of Android devices run version 4.x (I think I'm fair to include both 4.0 ICS and 4.1 JB, as I could also have only counted 4.1 which is only 26%)

http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

And according to Apple, there were nearly 300 million iOS devices running iOS 6 in January 2013 (probably more now).

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/28/nearly-300-million-devices-running-ios-6-60-of-all-ios-devices-ever/

That's 300 million running the latest iOS major revision. Considering how recent iOS 6 is, I would guess that not a lot of them are stuck in a drawer. And if you also add all the iOS devices still in used and running iOS 4-5 I think it would be safe to assume that there are at least 300 million iOS devices in use.

post #78 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

That's 300 million running the latest iOS major revision. Considering how recent iOS 6 is, I would guess that not a lot of them are stuck in a drawer. And if you also add all the iOS devices still in used and running iOS 4-5 I think it would be safe to assume that there are at least 300 million iOS devices in use.

Oh, I agree.   The "half" referred only to phones being upgraded, btw.  (I should't have used "devices" but thought it was clear from the "upgrade" comment.)  My fault.

post #79 of 82

I wonder if they aren't counting Apps already installed on the phone, like Google Maps, Mail, etc. They just say installed Apps not purchased/downloaded apps, that is several billion right there at least if that is the case. 

post #80 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by imt1 View Post

I wonder if they aren't counting Apps already installed on the phone, like Google Maps, Mail, etc. They just say installed Apps not purchased/downloaded apps, that is several billion right there at least if that is the case. 

Indeed… what a difference a word makes, eh? "shipped" vs "sold" changes the landscape of 'market share'… "installed" vs "downloaded" can alter the perception in real terms of how many "active" users there actually are. It's sad that we need to waste so much time parsing the rhetoric, but there it is...

I've downloaded quite a few hundred apps over the 4 or 5 years since buying my first iPhone (about a week after the original one first released but I think the app store wasn't there yet). I've also deleted a very large number of apps over that same period. I think iTunes on my iMac shows a few hundred still in the 'library', with maybe half of those actually installed to one device or another...

App Developers have made a pretty good bit of income from me, as a single user. I've probably spent, on average, about $100 a year on various and sundry apps, maybe a bit more. Multiply that by a few hundred million people, and it explains why it's a strong market...

Google wants some of that action for sure.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Google announces 900 million Android activations, 48 billion app installs
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google announces 900 million Android activations, 48 billion app installs