or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google announces 900 million Android activations, 48 billion app installs

Google announces 900 million Android activations, 48 billion app installs - Page 3

post #81 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

I was going by a report I grabbed last year which asked what people did with their old phones when they upgraded.

About half sold / gifted their previous iPhone.  About half kept it as a souvenir.

No doubt iPhones are passed down or sold more often, because they're more desirable when used.

At the same time, many of the people I know have enough wealth to not need to sell their old phones, and they keep their kids updated as well.  (The only person I know who consistently has had to sell his old iPhone to upgrade, is my younger stepson.  He needs the cash more.)

I remember seeing that report, or one like it. I suspected at the time (and still do) that the reality is that at least a third more are "repurposed" to friends, family or "second use"… My original iPhone moved into the role of "in-car iPod" for about 6 months after I "replaced" it, and before I bought a larger capacity iPod Touch. Then the 'car phone' went to mom, who decided she was finally ready for some modern telecommunication.

I know people who have upgraded their iPhones and still use their old ones, e.g.  as a remote and a coffee table "portal" for quick-checking weather, googling something, etc. Even without a sim or active phone service, they are useful devices… and people will still download (including pay for) apps for THAT specific "home bound" device. 

This is what counts in the long run, I think. Not only that they don't go into a drawer to gather dust, but can continue to generate revenue even when not in full service.

Edited by tribalogical - 5/16/13 at 2:11pm
post #82 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by imt1 View Post

I wonder if they aren't counting Apps already installed on the phone, like Google Maps, Mail, etc. They just say installed Apps not purchased/downloaded apps, that is several billion right there at least if that is the case. 

Google announced 48 billion downloaded apps. It was AI who changed the word to "installed", which obviously confused you as a reader.

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Google announces 900 million Android activations, 48 billion app installs
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google announces 900 million Android activations, 48 billion app installs