or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google Play game services offers cross-platform support on iOS, Android and Web

Google Play game services offers cross-platform support on iOS, Android and Web

post #1 of 19
Google's response to Apple's Game Center was announced on Wednesday in the form of Google Play game services, a cross-platform series of developer tools that will support iOS as well as Android and the Web.

Google Play game services

Google Play game services are a new family of application programming interfaces the company will make available to developers today. With the APIs, developers will be able to allow gamers to pick up where they left off in a title, no matter what device they're playing on.

For example, a player's progression and game state achieved while playing on an Android tablet could be synced in the cloud, allowing that player to pick up where they left off when accessing the same title on their iPhone.

The new game services tools for Google Play include cloud saves, much like Apple's iCloud allows developers to save and sync data remotely.

The APIs also offer achievements and leaderboards, much like Apple's Game Center. And Google will also integrate those features with its Google+ social networking service, giving gamers another way to compare their progress with friends.

Using Google+ circles, gamers on Android, iOS and the Web will also be able to find their friends and invite them to play against one another in cross-platform online multiplayer sessions.
post #2 of 19

So is AI going to have a separate article for every single Google I/O announcement?

post #3 of 19
Isn't this supposed to be "Apple" Insider?
post #4 of 19

Google is eating Apple's lunch.

Apple seems in a paralysis.

This is really awesome of Google.

I'm using almost exclusively Google apps. Chrome on OS X and iOS. Almost all of Google's apps on iOS. Safari is terrible compared to Chrome. I just wish I could make Chrome my default iOS app.

What is Apple doing? Mac Pro? Their apps on OS X are getting poor reviews. Maps...

I will probably always use Apple products, but it seems like someone at the top is not looking at the portfolio and seeing what they have and not looking at reviews of their products.

Someone said that Apple is fast if you are going in reverse (former employee), but they seem to be going even "faster".

Patrick

post #5 of 19
Seems very relevant. Apple's game center never got much traction, so Google offering a platform that works on both iOS and Android is interesting.
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

Seems very relevant. Apple's game center never got much traction, so Google offering a platform that works on both iOS and Android is interesting.

Not much traction? You're joking, right?

But yes, cross platform Game Centre would be great if Apple provided it. Like cross platform iMessage; a personal dream of mine.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #7 of 19
Have to say, if you look at Apple's strength? Hardware? Apple still rules. Yeah, I know, they don't have every screen size available, etc. but if they really were irrelevant? Or soon to be? Google, BlackBerry and Microsoft would be ignoring them.

Only Apple/iPhone literally has every service.
post #8 of 19
Can we please quit posting this enterprise value crap. The metric that is most widely used is market cap. And Apple's is > Google's.
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoleman1 View Post

Isn't this supposed to be "Apple" Insider?

Supposed to be. But really it's 'anything and everything that we think might get us page hits even if it hasnothingto do with Apple or even tech' insider
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

Have to say, if you look at Apple's strength? Hardware? Apple still rules. Yeah, I know, they don't have every screen size available, etc. but if they really were irrelevant? Or soon to be? Google, BlackBerry and Microsoft would be ignoring them.

Only Apple/iPhone literally has every service.
Yeah amazing isn't it? BUT doesn't really sync up with Tim Cook saying Apple isn't a hardware company. Because right now that is their biggest strength.
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

Any lack of traction is because, like using IAP v making a second app, Apple didn't make it required.

This has the same issue. Just cause folks can put it in their games doesn't mean they will.
post #12 of 19
Quote:

I mean we are only weeks away from WWDC and nobody cares

I had to create an account just to respond to this idiocy.

Really, nobody cares?

WWDC2013 sells out in 2 minutes verses 2 hours last year.  I'm sorry dude, but you lost all credibility you had with that post.

post #13 of 19
It pains me to write this, but I'm glad Google support Apple with nearly all their apps and services. because the way Apple is falling behind on such things, these Google products may end up being a lifeline to Apple hardware and the main reason people continue to purchase the company's products until it loses relevance all together or is forced to produce hardware running Android! This prolonged product silence from Apple over the last 6 months or so has been quite disastrous I think and a mistake on their part. Google/Samsung are seemingly speeding ahead of Apple (especially Google with its cross-platform support, a distinct advantage they will always have over Apple, unless Apple decide to go cross-platform too)...please get your act together pronto!

The WWDC next month needs to be something very-very special indeed! An example - where I live most people with smartphones and tablets used to use Apple products, nowadays though it seems most of those people have upgraded to or are using Samsung products instead - that's not a good sign! The Apple store upstairs in the mall is mostly empty now, while the Samsung store exactly opposite across the hall always seems to have a decent amount of people checking it out - another bad sign!

I don't want this situation to continue!!!
Edited by 1983 - 5/15/13 at 12:24pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

I'm glad Google support Apple with nearly all their apps and services

Of course Google will.  They're not stupid, where do you think they make their money?  They sure as hell don't make it from Android which they give away for free. They make their money from selling GoogleApps services to businesses, and selling you to advertisers.  They will do whatever is necessary to reach the largest target audience possible.  Unlike Apple and Microsoft, Google doesn't care what platform (Linux, Mac, Windows, iOS, Android) you use, as long as you use their services.

post #15 of 19
Quote:

It pains me to write this, but I'm glad Google support Apple with nearly all their apps and services. because the way Apple is falling behind on such things, these Google products may end up being a lifeline to Apple hardware and the main reason people continue to purchase the company's products until it loses relevance all together or is forced to produce hardware running Android! This prolonged product silence from Apple over the last 6 months or so has been quite disastrous I think and a mistake on their part. Google/Samsung are seemingly speeding ahead of Apple (especially Google with its cross-platform support, a distinct advantage they will always have over Apple, unless Apple decide to go cross-platform too)...please get your act together pronto!

The WWDC next month needs to be something very-very special indeed! An example - where I live most people with smartphones and tablets used to use Apple products, nowadays though it seems most of those people have upgraded to or are using Samsung products instead - that's not a good sign! The Apple store upstairs in the mall is mostly empty now, while the Samsung store exactly opposite across the hall always seems to have a decent amount of people checking it out - another bad sign!

You read my mind.

Wow, Apple store empty and Samsung store not. Apple is not as fast as they need to be. I look to Apple and Amazon for the cool, neat products with buzz. And I've always been a big Apple fan since 1980.

post #16 of 19
Google invading apple again, I still like Game Center however.
post #17 of 19

Well, a lot has been said here and I'd like to respond to a few things because I don't really see and understand this state of panic.

For one, regarding this whole being forced to Android thing: I have yet to see an Android phone that can scroll something as simple as the Settings App smoothly.

Regarding this whole Game Center competitor, let's not forget that Google does a lot of experimentation and while being able to save state in the Cloud and have a unified way for Achievements and Leaderboards, let's not forget that Game Center is so much more from a developer's perspective.

It gives you fantastic APIs for turn based or real time multiplayer, based on various P2P or P2P and mixed server architectures. All of this service is given to you for free, most small devs will not require to host any game servers whatsoever. It also spares them to actually get down to the nitty gritty of low level network programming, sockets and whatnot. It gives you real time voice chat capabilities, again without any servers whatsoever. It also gives you matchmaking, queue estimation and many, many other things.

All in All, Game Center is a fantastic set of APIs and consists of much more than most users see. It enables developers to produce great results easily and quickly without requiring any kind of investment into own architecture. This is a huge deal and goes far beyond save games in the cloud.

As so often, we will have to see how Google plays this, however from experience I am quite confident when I say that Google's implementations generally lack from an API perspective. This goes across all Android APIs and when you know iOS counterparts the amount of lacking features you have to implement yourself, the general extremely "manual" feel of Google's APIs is just mind boggling. This is also very curious because Google does experiment a lot, change a lot, invents new stuff with its APIs which is arguably even useful, however still recommends developers to follow rather than actually improving its APIs.

My bottom line is: While this is something that has been lacking on Android, let's not forget that there is so much more to Game Center than that green felt app with leader boards. It's a comprehensive set of APIs that actually enable indie devs to produce the kind of multiplayer games we have on iOS now.

On a side note, it remains to be seen how widely this is going to be adopted. Android devs are certainly going to be happy with it. However, from what I could read about this already, neither voice chat nor real time multiplayer will be supported on iOS or on the web. Meaning, there is little cross platform to it, despite achievements and save games. I'm not even getting into the discussion of how frequent the use case of having an iOS phone but an Android tablet actually is. Since multiplayer gaming itself however won't be cross platform, developers without own infrastructure will still need to leverage both APIs on their respective platforms.

post #18 of 19
Quote:

Be patient. We'll know more in 3 weeks, and we'll know a lot more by Christmas. Who knows, we may see 2 new iPhones this year, a retina mini, a faster, narrower, slimmer iPad 5 with a 30% weight reduction, a retina MacBook Air, the new Mac Pro (whatever they change its name to), and perhaps an iWatch.

Sadly, it seems the main thing holding up iTV is the lack of a contract deal, because the content owners are so afraid Apple would invent the killer product consumers couldn't resist. The key reason why Apple need a contract is to allow people to pay monthly, so they can sell them an extraordinary subsidised TV product for a low price they couldn't refuse, while given them all the shows the want. This is what people want. They are comfortable paying a monthly fee, especially if it means getting a revolutionary product that works well, comes with great support, an unparalleled developer community, and for a low price. Imagine a 50" iTV from Apple with its own App Store starting at $499? People would eat it up. And Apple could continue to sell the Apple TV little black box to those folks who prefer to pay $99 and are just looking for the TV part of the equation.

Personally I think Apple needs to be more aggressive in the content area. I think they should go after sports. The Sky Sports contracts are coming around soon, unsure when, Apple should buy them up. Currently, over here BSkyB owns exclusive rights to most sports. That should be Apple. They have the money. They could sell an Apple TV to everyone I the UK and Ireland if they had this.
Edited by Ireland - 5/15/13 at 7:16pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic View Post

Well, a lot has been said here and I'd like to respond to a few things because I don't really see and understand this state of panic.

For one, regarding this whole being forced to Android thing: I have yet to see an Android phone that can scroll something as simple as the Settings App smoothly.

Regarding this whole Game Center competitor, let's not forget that Google does a lot of experimentation and while being able to save state in the Cloud and have a unified way for Achievements and Leaderboards, let's not forget that Game Center is so much more from a developer's perspective.

It gives you fantastic APIs for turn based or real time multiplayer, based on various P2P or P2P and mixed server architectures. All of this service is given to you for free, most small devs will not require to host any game servers whatsoever. It also spares them to actually get down to the nitty gritty of low level network programming, sockets and whatnot. It gives you real time voice chat capabilities, again without any servers whatsoever. It also gives you matchmaking, queue estimation and many, many other things.

All in All, Game Center is a fantastic set of APIs and consists of much more than most users see. It enables developers to produce great results easily and quickly without requiring any kind of investment into own architecture. This is a huge deal and goes far beyond save games in the cloud.

Loren Brichter may disagree with your overly positive assessment of Game Center and its APIs. And as a user I would. Something as simple as inviting someone to play a game fails quite often and is usually mega slow to initiate. I recently played SSG2 with my niece over Game Center in the same house on 50Mb Internet and the invite kept failing and eventually whe it worked it invitation made out like we were on a 1Mb connection. Game play latency was fine.
Edited by Ireland - 5/15/13 at 7:32pm
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Google Play game services offers cross-platform support on iOS, Android and Web
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google Play game services offers cross-platform support on iOS, Android and Web