or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Google's All Access music streaming service to take on Spotify, Pandora

Google's All Access music streaming service to take on Spotify, Pandora - Page 2

post #41 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Value = enterprise value

You haven't been paying attention.

You really need to stop boring the heck out of us with this EV crap.

post #42 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by willb2064 View Post

So the 'uniquely Google approach' is to charge 2.5x what a Pandora subscription costs?

Sign up before June 30th and it's only 2X for more functionality and to actually make a profit.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #43 of 87
Quote:

>>Just the way it is right now with Apple>>

This mentality that its the market and not Apple is comical at best, but more likely delusional.  Apple screwed up.  Anyone without their head in the sand can see it. They missed a product cycle.  They rested on their laurels.  They misunderstood consumer demand.  Earnings are expected to drop like a rock this quarter, down 23% year over year.  Earnings for the fiscal year are expected to drop 15%.  The market is reacting to a shrinking company, a company that is in a secular growth market but seemingly can't grow any longer.  Any top line expansion is getting eaten up by margin erosion.  Markets they dominate are getting saturated.  Nobody doubts the products are top notch, but the company, the business, the management has certainly lost its luster.  Everyone expected growth to slow at some point.  Few saw this company hitting a wall overnight and earnings grow going from hugely positive to negative in such a short period of time, all while its peers continue to grow.  I can't see how even the most ardent Apple supporters aren't alarmed by the appearance that this company will basically go an entire year without a single new product or announcement.  Nothing.  Who in their right mind manages a company like this and puts everything out all at once.  Competitors have figured out how to beat Apple - move faster and make Apple look bad, take the narrative away......sadly it is working and this has the feel of a self-fulfilling implosion because of the arrogance management is showing.   

Everyone laughed at Tim's "doubling down on secrecy" statement and now that it is actually working, everyone thinks Apple is resting on their laurels and doing nothing. If this is true, where are all of the mass layoffs? It shouldn't take that many employees to maintain the status quo especially for a company as greedy as big bad Apple. Heck it should only take a couple of unpaid interns to flatten out iOS7. Wall Street hates Apple because the don't have to bow to their pressure so they bash them as being not innovative. You should be happy that Cook is giving in somewhat with actually taking on debt so analysts would be happy. What Google announced today is not innovative, it is just a combination of existing services that exist separately. Convenient maybe, but not innovative. If you are so confident in them, sell any Apple stock you may have and ride the Google wave. Then you will have no reason to cry here.
post #44 of 87

Huh, that's interesting. . . The Galaxy S4 available with stock Android?? Available thru Google Play beginning June 26th

melior diabolus quem scies
post #45 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It's really quite simple.

Consider that he is the CEO of the largest (or the second largest, depending on the day), and arguably, the most exciting company in the world. It is a company that, in the past decade-and-a-half, has consistently and radically defined the future of consumer tech. It is a job for which he has been carefully groomed over many years (by one of the greatest visionaries of our time), and one that he actually had experienced (before going solo). He has been an integral part of its second coming.

I expect that someone in that role is a thinker, and not just a doer.

He should do a major speech addressing the following types of issues (given all of the above, it is not at all a tall task -- I would ask these of a garden variety CEO, let alone a company about which I deeply care as both a consumer and a shareholder):

1) Lay out his vision for consumer technology. What is his framework for thinking about the industry and its future?

2) Looking ahead to 2025, what are the big forces, the mega-trends, shaping opportunities in the industry? What are the major threats?

3) Where does he think the industry is headed? What makes the future exciting? When he gets up every morning, what gets him juiced up about the possibilities that might the next 15 years?

4) In the broadest terms, where does he see Apple as a company in 2025? What is his vision for the business? What are its greatest strengths? How does he plan to enhance those strengths? Building? Buying? Enhancing existing positions or creating new products and services? How does he view competition?

5) How will supply chains, manufacturing, customer experiences evolve in the future? What leadership role does he see for Apple in these areas?

I have little interest in hearing about Apple's product roadmap or ROIC goals or whether or not they have great innovation the pipeline or whether they expect to have an EPS of $100 by 2018. Those are details. I want to know who he is, and what he thinks about the future. Most importantly, I want to have confidence in his framework for thinking about the future.

And why would they do it? So Sams and Googles of the world would steal is and use it? We all get mad off any tiny leak about any future product and you want them to layout the whole roadmap til 2025? Maybe, since there are at it, reveal the engineering drawings and computer codes? Because, you know, a few shareholders want to know.

post #46 of 87
Quote:

I'd say it once and move on if every tom, dick and harry here didn't immediately look at market cap for a 'gotcha' moment.  OK, you guys got me, Apple has a higher market cap despite dropping by ~$250 billion while Google has increased by 50-100 billion the last 6-12 mos.  Does the $300+ billion change in market caps make you feel better now?

And how exactly does it affect Apple? It didn't change their on-hand cash, did it? Well, maybe a little. 

post #47 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plagen View Post

And why would they do it? So Sams and Googles of the world would steal is and use it? We all get mad off any tiny leak about any future product and you want them to layout the whole roadmap til 2025? Maybe, since there are at it, reveal the engineering drawings and computer codes? Because, you know, a few shareholders want to know.
Quite clearly, you're clueless about what I actually wrote.

Surely my fault for expressing it so poorly.
post #48 of 87

Shades of "Fringe", an alternate universe is intruding on our own!

Google rolls out a streaming "radio" service today and offers it as a subscription, users paying real dollars. Apple's radio service is still to come but rumored to be ad-supported??

post #49 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by willb2064 View Post

So the 'uniquely Google approach' is to charge 2.5x what a Pandora subscription costs?

I didn't know Pandora allows me to pick any song to play. Did they just add this?

post #50 of 87
Quote:

Consider that he is the CEO of the largest (or the second largest, depending on the day), and arguably, the most exciting company in the world. It is a company that, in the past decade-and-a-half, has consistently and radically defined the future of consumer tech. It is a job for which he has been carefully groomed over many years (by one of the greatest visionaries of our time), and one that he actually had experienced (before going solo). He has been an integral part of its second coming.

He should do a major speech addressing the following types of issues (given all of the above, it is not at all a tall task -- I would ask these of a garden variety CEO, let alone a company about which I deeply care as both a consumer and a shareholder):

1) Lay out his vision for consumer technology. What is his framework for thinking about the industry and its future?

2) Looking ahead to 2025, what are the big forces, the mega-trends, shaping opportunities in the industry? What are the major threats?

3) Where does he think the industry is headed? What makes the future exciting? When he gets up every morning, what gets him juiced up about the possibilities that might the next 15 years?

4) In the broadest terms, where does he see Apple as a company in 2025? What is his vision for the business? What are its greatest strengths? How does he plan to enhance those strengths? Building? Buying? Enhancing existing positions or creating new products and services? How does he view competition?

5) How will supply chains, manufacturing, customer experiences evolve in the future? What leadership role does he see for Apple in these areas?

I have little interest in hearing about Apple's product roadmap or ROIC goals or whether or not they have great innovation the pipeline or whether they expect to have an EPS of $100 by 2018. Those are details. I want to know who he is, and what he thinks about the future. Most importantly, I want to have confidence in his framework for thinking about the future.

Just an opinion, but I think Tim Cook is such a great strategist, and such a thinker, that he knows he can't address any of your points honestly without incurring great fear and/or ridicule from the likes of those whom you see posting on this very thread.

The project Apple is engaged in is too revolutionary to be explicitly outlined. It would be suicidal to do so, and I think Tim Cook has pondered this with Jobs and others in the company long and hard.

The closest historical parallel to what has happened in personal computers since 1984 is, as I've said here before to great scepticism, the appearance of the Aldine portable book around 1500. In effect, Aldus put out the first personal book, and he focused on aesthetics, usability and great software in doing so.

Apple's project is no less than the total reform of all communication, all recording technology, and all knowledge distribution, including both entertainment and education. This is a 500-year event in human media history.

If Apple were to talk honestly about the future, there would be a great howling from the likes of Tim O'Reilly (the publisher), who said that Apple is after total domination of the world, or words to that effect, a couple of years ago.

This is not true, because I think Steve Jobs made sure that everybody after him would follow the Buddhist/psychedelic precepts of focusing on the moment (the product at hand) and making the world better.

If you do that, you may indeed end up ruling the noösphere (as did the printed book until now) but it would be for a good purpose, and it would be very wrong to talk about it in advance. Nor would you want to own the Enlightenment, just help it along.

Tim Cook can't say a word about wearable computing or worldwide face-to-face communications, or whatever. The fundamentalists, the opportunists, the paranoid and the Luddites are watching.
post #51 of 87
Quote:

No, you expressed your  thoughts quite succinctly . It just they don't make any sense at all.

post #52 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

If you don't mind, take a look at my addition to the post right above this. I really would like to see what you or anatksundaram could come up with that Tim Cook could conceiveably say that would not be a tipoff or get him in trouble.

As for Jony Ive, it's not in his character. He's an artist who thinks in terms that can hardly be given human speech. Not a public speaker in business language, bless him.
That's the best part about Ive. It's not business speak. It's passion. In that Bloomberg piece about iOS 7 they mentioned that Ive held a 2+ hour townhall with software engineers/designers to discuss his vision (and that Cook was in attendance). Wouldn't it be great to hear some of that vision? I'd love to know some of what he's thinking (that doesn't give away the store obviously) about computing and interacting with technology in the 21st century.

I guess what really frustrates me is I think Apple is a great company with great products but day after day they're getting punched in the gut and not really doing anything about it. Like a kid at school getting picked on and not fighting back. And after a while perception starts to turn in to reality and it's hard to turn around. Especially now that Steve is gone.
post #53 of 87
Quote:

On my initial reading I thought "Why would Tim Cook tell the world what Apple's plans are for the next 20 years" now I realize it's your list of what TC should be doing which of course very few have that insight.
post #54 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Huh, that's interesting. . . The Galaxy S4 available with stock Android?? Available thru Google Play beginning June 26th
Fandroids weren't crazy about the price. 1wink.gif. Leads me to believe Google is doing some subsidizing of the Nexus handset.
post #55 of 87
Quote:

Value = enterprise value

You haven't been paying attention.
I guess a lot of people aren't paying attention then because no one seems to be obsessed with this metric besides you.
post #56 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

That's the best part about Ive. It's not business speak. It's passion. In that Bloomberg piece about iOS 7 they mentioned that Ive held a 2+ hour townhall with software engineers/designers to discuss his vision (and that Cook was in attendance). Wouldn't it be great to hear some of that vision? I'd love to know some of what he's thinking (that doesn't give away the store obviously) about computing and interacting with technology in the 21st century.

I guess what really frustrates me is I think Apple is a great company with great products but day after day they're getting punched in the gut and not really doing anything about it. Like a kid at school getting picked on and not fighting back. And after a while perception starts to turn in to reality and it's hard to turn around. Especially now that Steve is gone.

I didn't see that Bloomberg piece, I'll have to look it up.

To your last paragraph, I see the same cloud of gnats around Apple, but I think of Tim Cook as more of a solid character hardly bothering to swipe them away. He reminds me of Richard Evans Schultes slogging through the Amazon jungle, gathering specimens, taking notes, getting the job done. The doubters will get their comeuppance when he gets back to headquarters and publishes.

Watch me get nailed on that comparison by someone who knew Schultes.
post #57 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Apple has had 4 years to compete with this, from back when Android was a joke - they have the credit cards and surely the technology. Lala was bought in 2009. 2009!

What has happened since?. Either heads should roll at Apple, or Cook's head should roll.

What happened is Apple respects content owners rights and licenses them accordingly.

The delay is caused by content owners who fear iTunes dominance and are trying to break away.

I wonder how long companies like spotify can hang on, they are in for a squeeze.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #58 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Wow. Google is going to win in every way.

Apple. Slower to streaming music. Slower to low cost phone. Slower to big screen size. Slower to software innovations. Slower to license and market.

It is so much Windows vs Mac 1990s.

The integrated approach is great to open a market not to rule it. Next we will see Apple again being a 3% market share bit player.

That is Apple corporate culture. We're the tiny little underdog with moral superiority. We won't sell out. We do it our way and only in our good time. Suck it shareholders.

This music service is a prime example of how one's lunch gets eaten.

Samsung is taking 94.7% of Android handset profits, LG gets 2.5%, HTC, Huawei, Motorola, Sony, ZTE and the rest share the remaining 2.7%.

Android is almost all bit players, Samsung sets a prime example of eating others lunch.

post #59 of 87
…rested on their laurels.  …saturated. …lost its luster.  Competitors have figured out how to beat Apple…
…stale. If WWDC is a flop, its time for him to exit gracefully and let someone that demands respect to run this company.

Shut up and go away.

Originally Posted by tdmelvin View Post
You forgot Google Health as well.

There was a Google Health? 1tongue.gif

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #60 of 87
Quote:

Which version?

LTE equipped Snapdragon or 3G Exynos?

$649, I wonder if it will have more than 8GB available to users?

post #61 of 87
I would think it would have much more user space than 8GB. Stock Android is reported to need less than a GB compared to Touch wiz bloat.

Edit: It's LTE
Edited by Gatorguy - 5/15/13 at 4:37pm
post #62 of 87
Quote:

I would think it would have much more user space than 8GB. Stock Android is reported to need less than a GB compared to Touch wiz bloat.

On the more popular phones there's almost always a developer edition.
post #63 of 87
Quote:

It will be interesting to see if Google breaks away from not supporting SD cards as they usually do with their Nexus models.

Good news for Qualcomm, more snapdragon processors.

post #64 of 87
Quote:

The project Apple is engaged in is too revolutionary to be explicitly outlined. It would be suicidal to do so, and I think Tim Cook has pondered this with Jobs and others in the company long and hard.

The closest historical parallel to what has happened in personal computers since 1984 is, as I've said here before to great scepticism, the appearance of the Aldine portable book around 1500. In effect, Aldus put out the first personal book, and he focused on aesthetics, usability and great software in doing so.

Apple's project is no less than the total reform of all communication, all recording technology, and all knowledge distribution, including both entertainment and education. This is a 500-year event in human media history.

That's a very bold claim. Although, I am somewhat skeptical, since I've seen nothing in what Cook has done or said so far in his career that leads me to think it could something so dramatic. I truly hope you're right.

Any thoughts on what form do you think this total reform and revolution would take?
post #65 of 87
Quote:

Only thing I'm obsessed with is trolling.
There fixed it for you.
post #66 of 87
Quote:

I didn't see that Bloomberg piece, I'll have to look it up.

To your last paragraph, I see the same cloud of gnats around Apple, but I think of Tim Cook as more of a solid character hardly bothering to swipe them away. He reminds me of Richard Evans Schultes slogging through the Amazon jungle, gathering specimens, taking notes, getting the job done. The doubters will get their comeuppance when he gets back to headquarters and publishes.

Watch me get nailed on that comparison by someone who knew Schultes.
I don't think Apple management are incompetent as some here suggest. But they do seem to be in some sort of a bubble where they're just tuning everything out, except for what they have no choice to tune out (returning cash to shareholders). I swear if Cook shows up at ATD and uses the same cliches like TV is an area of interest or we're pulling the string to see where it takes us I'll throw up.

What I'm really hoping for is some surprises at WWDC, something that makes the 6+ months of silence worth it.
post #67 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

It will be interesting to see if Google breaks away from not supporting SD cards as they usually do with their Nexus models.

It'll have an SD slot.
post #68 of 87
Quote:

They support SD cards they're just built in on Nexus'.
post #69 of 87
Costs 150% more than Pandora One. Yay, Google!

I only listen to the free versions of Pandora and Spotify, and if they think pumping occasional ads into my skull pays for that, well, I'm happy to humor them.
post #70 of 87

(This is a pretty shameful thread full of off-topic attacks on Apple in general, Tim Cook in particular, and personal sniping. The article is about Google's new music service. Anyone care to actually comment on THAT?)

I use Spotify and Pandora regularly.

Spotify is great when I know what I want to listen to: I feel like Rush today. Bam. There's a whole bunch of albums. Maybe some Robert Plant. Ta-da. But I don't find its radio stations very compelling. If I create a station based on an artist or song, the station becomes repetitive and predictable pretty quickly, and is not very consistent. For example, if I pick a band, I'll tend to get bands from the same time and general genre, but rarely music that sounds similar from unfamiliar bands.

Pandora is the opposite. I can't listen to an album or a bunch of songs by a particular artist. But when I create a station, I get a good variety of songs very similar to the seed songs and from lots of various bands from different eras. I find Pandora much better for discovering new groups similar to groups I already like.

Also, both services have free versions. I find the number of commercials completely acceptable. And the quality of the free versions is plenty good for listening to through earbuds while sitting at my desk, or in the car.

So what is the compelling reason for Google's service? Are there labels or bands that the other services don't have (and a lot of people would want)? Is the bit-rate/quality better than other services? 24bit/96khz maybe? I don't know why I'd want Google's product vs anything else.

(And whining about Apple's management doesn't help me learn anything about Google Play.)

- Jasen.

post #71 of 87
Okay. Good points are being made. And yea it's Samsung that is eating apples lunch.

I know that the closed ecosystem eventually loses to the big version of windows for phones.

But as a stockholder f aapl I feel the company is not fighting back. It feels like they're not doing anything right now. I'm sure they are. But what?

They're losing to Sammy in so many ways. Why can't apple fight back?

The google glass thing may be silly and impractical but it's like Walt disneys world of tomorrow. It captures the publics imagination. It dreams big.

Apples dreams lately feel like small tiny things. Like more MPixels for the iPhone's camera. A new home button. Having Siri reject long sentences. Making a low cost version MAYBE of what it already has but with less capability.

Where is the dream? A big new office complex for its employees? A boat that no one will ever use? Where is the dream for the public?

Where was or is Apple Glass? Where is Apple gesture reading phone? Where is a thing that reassures and inspires people that great new ideas can come from apple in a world post Steve?
post #72 of 87
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post
And yea it's Samsung that is eating apples lunch.

N… no… you're confused.

I know that the closed ecosystem eventually loses to the big version of windows for phones.

How? Continued as both "do you know this" and "would that happen?"

But as a stockholder f aapl I feel the company is not fighting back. It feels like they're not doing anything right now. I'm sure they are. But what?

So basically you recognize your fears are unfounded.

They're losing to Sammy in so many ways.

Name. One.

Why can't apple fight back?

Because they are?

Where is the dream? A big new office complex for its employees? A boat that no one will ever use? Where is the dream for the public?

Maybe pay attention to the products they're releasing and you'll see.

Where was or is Apple Glass?

1. Why do they need something that stupid?

2. What proof is there that they were ever going to make something that stupid?

post #73 of 87
Quote:

I'm a little shocked you that posted this Anon, since I tend to agree with many/most of your posts here. This time I seriously disagree.

You described Bill Gates, Ballmer, and just about ever tech CEO on the planet: just talk... and not someone with Apple's DNA or someone that follows in the footsteps of Steve Jobs (impossible task). In fact you said it's what you would expect from a "Garden Variety CEO". Yup. And that's what Tim Cook is not, SJ never was, and even BG succumbed to becoming more times than even he can count.

Apple is a completely different animal and species within the tech sector. Always has been... and for at least the next decade or 2, probably will be. To the chagrin and gnashing of teeth by Wall Street Anal-Cysts and certain unnamed Instant Gratification Quarterly-Results Whores frequenting these forums.

@Flaneur: really liked your posts... and especially pointing out the underlying lack of discipline known as PATIENCE. The vast majority of people on our planet have absolutely no idea what that virtue means any more, let alone practice it. The Art of War and applicable Buddhist teachings, which SJ successfully inspired in his company, are still alive within it, and I'm still glad for it. I personally don't see nor want them to change their philosophies to "run with the herd" ... certainly not yet if ever. Times past whenever they've tried, we all know what (almost) happened.

Practicing a small bit of patience in this context is roughly only 4 weeks away: June 10 - 14. At which time and after, we can discuss and debate The Might Fall of Apple... or the Enlightenment of Communications and Technology for the Next Decade. 1cool.gif
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #74 of 87
Just my recurring thoughts re: Apple CEO:

I still think that the person most able to give that charismatic, zealous and visionary spark back to Apple, is Scott Forstall. His career road-map is and could further be deeply tied to parallel Steve Jobs. Could we possibly witness history repeating itself within one company some day? 1wink.gif
post #75 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

I still think that the person most able to give that charismatic, zealous and visionary spark back to Apple, is Scott Forstall. His career road-map is and could further be deeply tied to parallel Steve Jobs. Could we possibly witness history repeating itself within one company some day? 1wink.gif
Why do you think this? What exactly is his visionary spark? Why do people think he's the next Steve Jobs just because he was fired from Apple? Using your logic the current leadership/board at Apple is just as bad as during the 80s when Steve was fired. Do you really believe that?
post #76 of 87
Quote:

What happened is Apple respects content owners rights and licenses them accordingly.

The delay is caused by content owners who fear iTunes dominance and are trying to break away.

I wonder how long companies like spotify can hang on, they are in for a squeeze.

Are you saying that Google did not get those rights? If Apple has been trying to get the rights for a few years, and Google has got them, thats a huge coup for Google. Possibly Sony are playing a game here - give it to Google to get better terms from Apple. But still, it shows how the labels are not so scared of, or convinced with, Apple's superiority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

N… no… you're confused.

How? Continued as both "do you know this" and "would that happen?"

So basically you recognize your fears are unfounded.

Name. One.

Because they are?

Maybe pay attention to the products they're releasing and you'll see.

1. Why do they need something that stupid?

2. What proof is there that they were ever going to make something that stupid?

Samsung is eating into Apple's profit share in the market, for sure. At this rate they will overtake this year. Possibly next quarter. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

I think he could be the guy, but is disliked. ( Jobs would have been disliked had he come up through the ranks, though). 

Apparantly its either Ive or Fortsall.

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #77 of 87
Quote:

That's a very bold claim. Although, I am somewhat skeptical, since I've seen nothing in what Cook has done or said so far in his career that leads me to think it could something so dramatic. I truly hope you're right.

Any thoughts on what form do you think this total reform and revolution would take?

I suppose I should work on this in some specific way. For now, a couple of sketchy thoughts:

How many textbooks fit into an iPad? Answer, a near infinite number, if it's connected to the Internet.

The kind of learning the connected iPad ecourages—holistic, associative, relational, dynamic, situational—are directly opposite to the kind of static and contained analytical learning that the printed book fosters. I should say "apposite," because the printed book and its built-in mandates are not going away. There will probably still be classes and classrooms for the near future, but the pressure of electronic learning is toward the Platonic academy model based on dialogue. Schools will become more integrative, organized around learning itself like Steiner schools, rather than by subjects.

This is basic McLuhan so far. What Apple beings to the table is deliberate focus on these very technology+liberal arts attributes of the very personal, very portable computer. There's no reason at all to believe that Tim Cook does not get this to the very bottom of his soul. If he'd stayed with Compaq and then HP, he might have stayed the spreadsheet genius he is reputed to be, but he hooked up with Steve Jobs and was chosen for his receptivity to the Apple messianic vision. If he didn't get the vision, he wouldn't have been chosen, simple as that. Or so I believe, having no reason to think otherwise.

They are going ahead with the new headquarters building, indicating they have at least a 25-year plan. They are continuing with Apple U., indicating they know that "the vision" is a thing that must be transmitted into the future. Tim Cook talks about preserving the "start-up" culture at Apple, indicating that he gets this very crucial human element to how innovation works. Notice he also talks about how if you have to have a Department of Innovation at your company, you've already lost your vision.

And his vision is global, probably much more in a practical way that was Steve Jobs's, because he has spent his career making supply alliances down to the foundry and machine shop level in China or wherever. He always talks about the number of stores (Apple schools, really, he says) that are going to be opened outside the U.S. with pride, and he loves talking about the mother of all markets that is China. He thinks big, like in units of $10 billion ("we invested a pair of tens over the last two years"), and he thinks so seriously about the specifics of the future that he is "doubling down" on secrecy.

So it's no wonder that people don't see the vision of Tim Cook. If he says anything about the future, people will freak out as they contemplate a world dominated by Apple. They will miss the point. Apple is deliberately making only the medium of communication, not the message, except for their sleaze filtering when it tries to pass through their stores. But I see no reason to disbelieve that Tim Cook has adopted Steve Jobs's mission to change the world for the better with the personal computer. He just can't talk about it.
post #78 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why do you think this? What exactly is his visionary spark? Why do people think he's the next Steve Jobs just because he was fired from Apple? Using your logic the current leadership/board at Apple is just as bad as during the 80s when Steve was fired. Do you really believe that?

No... I certainly do not believe that the board and/or Tim Cook are the same as before SJ came back to Apple. In fact, I unabashedly support both 100% currently, because there simply is no one better to replace any of them. Which I might add, just in the odd occurrence that TC would ever decide to step down on his own... I would never, ever call him a failure at Apple, or as "interrum CEO". I've stated that in more than a few posts here at AI.

However, I really don't see TC as the "ultimate" perfect CEO for Apple. It's too hard and would take too long to say, but the job is simply, "not him". He will never be an ass enough, brash enough, rhetorically snide, snarky and quick enough. He's too much of a Southern gentleman for the job and if he tried to be what he clearly is not, not only would he be uncomfortable, but I think watching it ourselves could be cringe-worthy to tell the truth. The media would eat the poor guy alive!

Now that Scott Forstall... that's another subject. You may want to check out his career path, watch some of his captivating presentations, and maybe read about his being a "difficult self-absorbed SOB" sometimes to deal with. You're staring at a young SJ in the making... and there are enough "geniuses" sprinkled throughout history with these vary same traits.

Enough of an explanation for ya? 1smoking.gif
post #79 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Apparantly its either Ive or Fortsall.

Jonny Ive would never take the job... and I bet he would even turn down a cool $1-Billion in doing so. It's not him either (see above) and he absolutely knows it. He's also far to passionate about designing things than to put up with the day-to-day BS a CEO must, taking him away from his very own version of heaven on earth: his "workshop". Which is probably and by all accounts is, an engineer's and industrial designer's wet-dream!!!
post #80 of 87
Quote:

So it's no wonder that people don't see the vision of Tim Cook. If he says anything about the future, people will freak out as they contemplate a world dominated by Apple. They will miss the point. Apple is deliberately making only the medium of communication, not the message, except for their sleaze filtering when it tries to pass through their stores. But I see no reason to disbelieve that Tim Cook has adopted Steve Jobs's mission to change the world for the better with the personal computer. He just can't talk about it.

Nailed it Flaneur! All of the points mentioned above is why I truly do like Tim Cook, and even if my little foray into Crystal-Balling sees a Scott Forstall somewhere lurking... I would never EVER want to see Tim Cook leave Apple for any other company!

You summed up superbly the internal Tim Cook that real Apple "Insiders" and employees see. Unfortunately, I'm making excuses and trying to explain why externally, the world-facing Tim Cook is catching so much flak and BS... and sympathetic to that, would like to see the guy out of the cross-fire. Scot t Forstall could take it I'm sure... and give it back too. Someone in this thread pointedly said," It's as if Apple is continually being punched in the gut, and decides... or can't... fight back". We all know how that's perceived in America, actually the world over, as being a "softy", not manly, whatever. Rarely do we consider it a strength. And regardless of whether the strength and resolve is still there... I really do hate watching someone get bullied and bashed around like this.

The CEO job today is nothing to really wish for, and you have to be a bit off your rocker to ever want to be one. My take on it anyway.

BTW: I recently read an article, can't find it (grrrr!) regarding online and collaborative schooling... even at Harvard these days. This will most definitely trickle all the way down the education ladder. I for one think it makes perfect logical sense... uhm... and cents. Teachers will certainly have to up their marketability. Not banging on teachers! Just saying!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Google's All Access music streaming service to take on Spotify, Pandora