or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › IDC: Apple's iOS fell to 17% of smartphones shipped in Q1, Windows Phone passed BlackBerry
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

IDC: Apple's iOS fell to 17% of smartphones shipped in Q1, Windows Phone passed BlackBerry

post #1 of 109
Thread Starter 
Gains made by Google's Android platform chipped away at the smartphone market share of Apple's iOS in the first quarter of 2013, while Microsoft's slow-growing Windows Phone managed to surpass BlackBerry in the battle for third place.

IDC


The latest market data released on Thursday by IDC shows that Apple's iOS accounted for 17.3 percent of smartphones shipped in the first quarter of the year, down from 23 percent a year ago. Still, Apple saw its strongest first quarter ever in terms of shipment volumes, as the company already announced last month it shipped a record 37.4 million iPhones.

But Apple's iOS platform, which is not found on smartphones other than the iPhone, couldn't keep up the pace of growth seen by Google's Android, which is available on a multitude of devices from numerous manufacturers.

Shipments of devices running Android surged from a 59.1 percent market share in the first quarter of 2012 to 75 percent in the same period this year. The number of Android devices estimated by IDC to have been shipped reached 162.1 million.

Google itself announced at its annual I/O developers conference on Wednesday that activations of Android devices recently surpassed the 900 million mark. Just a year ago, there had been 400 million activations, while the 100 million milestone was achieved in 2011, demonstrating the platform's accelerating growth.

With Apple and Google seeing their platforms combine to take more than 92 percent of the smartphone market, remaining competitors were left to take the scraps. Microsoft's Windows Phone took third, surpassing BlackBerry and growing its share from 2 percent a year ago to 3.2 percent in the first quarter.

Shipments of Windows Phone devices grew from 3 million in the first quarter of 2012 to 7 million in the same period this year. The quarter marks the first time Microsoft's Windows Phone platform has gone as high as third place.

Microsoft's gains were BlackBerry's losses, as the Canadian smartphone maker fell to a 2.9 percent share in the quarter, down from 6.4 percent a year ago. Just 6.3 million BlackBerry devices were shipped.

A better picture of BlackBerry's health will be made in the second quarter, when the company's new BlackBerry 10 platform and devices running it will have been available for the first three months. More than a million BlackBerry 10 units were shipped in the platform's first quarter of availability.

"Underpinning the worldwide smartphone market is the constantly shifting operating system landscape," said Ramon Llamas, research manager with IDC's Mobile Phone team. "Android and iOS accounted for more than the lion's share of smartphones in the first quarter, but a closer examination of the other platforms reveals turnaround and demand for alternatives. Windows Phone has benefited from Nokia's participation, and BlackBerry's new BB10 devices have already hit a million units shipped in its first quarter of availability."
post #2 of 109

Cue accuracy of numbers questions ...

post #3 of 109
I wish someone would publish the data showing what the iOS ecosystem market size is in $ verse Android. I would think it would show a completely different picture. However, we all know wall street only understand widget sold not value of the widgets.
post #4 of 109

So what has Google achieved with this? From what I understand Android is free and they expect (and get) income from ads on the platform. This is a different situation as the Apple - Microsoft era, because Microsoft at least was paid for its software.

I just hope that Apple stays focused and doesn't give in to a fight for more market share, because that will turn out to be a dead end street. I would love to see them continue to serve the high end of the market, and consolidate the ecosystem.

On another note, I really don't get it. At a meeting the other day were eight people at my table. Eight of them carried an iPhone. On a flight last week I counted one Android phone and five iPhones with the people sitting in my row. Where are all the Android phones?

post #5 of 109
I never imagined Apple would go 8 months silent in such a competitive space - never crossed my mind as a possibility.

If it was by design, that was a bad decision. If it was because of delays, that is also bad. I don't see how you explain this away. Not only is Android running away with share, but Apple has now let Microsoft back into the game

I hope Apple has big plans up their sleeves for September. I still think its their game to lose, I'm not as optimistic as I was last year

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Reply

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Reply
post #6 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

So what has Google achieved with this?

Zilch, from a profit standpoint.

The market apparently likes that.
post #7 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

I never imagined Apple would go 8 months silent in such a competitive space - never crossed my mind as a possibility.

If it was by design, that was a bad decision. If it was because of delays, that is also bad. I don't see how you explain this away. Not only is Android running away with share, but Apple has now let Microsoft back into the game

I hope Apple has big plans up their sleeves for September. I still think its their game to lose, I'm not as optimistic as I was last year

 

Yes, the silence out of Cupertino is deafening. We dismissed the tongue waggers' laments about the death of Jobs but it is starting to look like they were right. I remember the legend, supposedly true, that they found Michael Spindler hiding under his desk several times. 

post #8 of 109

Sales up but market share down. Making money hand over fist but the other guy pushes more stuff out the door. Still growing but at a slower pace. How long can Apple survive, "they" ask.

post #9 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

 

Yes, the silence out of Cupertino is deafening.

post #10 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I wish someone would publish the data showing what the iOS ecosystem market size is in $ verse Android. I would think it would show a completely different picture. However, we all know wall street only understand widget sold not value of the widgets.

 

Of the Android handsets sold, Samsung made 94.7% of the profits, LG made 2.5%, the remaining 2.8% was shared between HTC, Sony, Motorola, Huawei, ZTE and all the rest.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #11 of 109
For crying outloud will you stop publishing this crap data, IDC are corrupt everyone knows it

Unless you are owned by the same company I guess
post #12 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


Zilch, from a profit standpoint.

The market apparently likes that.

 

The less you make, the more you can improve.

 

That's what the market leads suckers to believe.

 

Wasn't Enron hugely successful in the market for a while, even as their paper empire was collapsing around them?

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #13 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


Zilch, from a profit standpoint.

The market apparently likes that.

Its got it's services on a lot of platforms which may not have been amenable. The Apple-Google fight overshadows the reason they got into this in the first place, to take on MS and others, not APple - although they did panic, and copy when they saw the iPhone.

 

I think they have succeeded beyond their wildest dreams - I mean if Symbian hadn't imploded it would probably be still in the majority. Bling is 17% of all searches now, and had Windows entered this mobile race earlier google could have seen it's search percentage decline further. Now google have a locked in audience, on Android, and are still producing services: google music, voice searches ( and more to come) to continue to gain revenue. They also have the advantage that they can put this stuff on iOS. They are in a win win.

 

Apple can't compete with them on their core strengths, and shouldn't have tried. Apple still have the advantage of the entire widget - which would help NFC and payments adoption etc. But even there a Google Samsung alliance could compete. 

 

In any case Google are winning.

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #14 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

~~~ verbal diarrhoea ~~~

 

So how come Apple makes more money than Samsung?

 

Could it be because of the 65 million smartphones Samsung shipped only 6 million were Galaxy S 4's, the rest were cheap junk.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #15 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Samsung officials have announced they've sold 6 million GS4s already and expect to sell 10 million in May.  There you have it, Apple no longer has the best selling single unit smartphone.  Expectations are for Apple to sell 25-30mm iPhones in the quarter, with a similar split to last quarter of 50/50 5s vs 4/4s, so they will sell roughly 12.5 million 5s in 3 months.  Lets say rather than 10 million a month this quarter, Samsung sells 25 million S4's........that is double the sales of the iPhone 5.

No longer can people complain Samsung doesn't give sales figures.  They are kicking Apple's butt globally.  Personally, I think a 4 inch 5s will not reverse the trend that Apple now has the second most popular phones in the world.  Really, really amazing collapse for this company.  Want to know why the stock is plummeting?  Because of an arrogant management team that fell asleep at the wheel allowing a huge lead in most popular phone to get evaporated and reversed in literally no time.

Hang on correct me if I was wrong. Expect? How long? I though Steve been long gone and his reality distortion field gone with it. Oh I get it. The trolls are on LSD this days.

Then again, Huawei sold over 50 million phones last year and lost hundred of millions of dollars.
post #16 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleh1234 View Post

Cue accuracy of numbers questions ...

Yeah, because they are legitimate questions to ask.

post #17 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Samsung officials have announced they've sold 6 million GS4s already and expect to sell 10 million in May.  There you have it, Apple no longer has the best selling single unit smartphone.  Expectations are for Apple to sell 25-30mm iPhones in the quarter, with a similar split to last quarter of 50/50 5s vs 4/4s, so they will sell roughly 12.5 million 5s in 3 months.  Lets say rather than 10 million a month this quarter, Samsung sells 25 million S4's........that is double the sales of the iPhone 5.

 

No longer can people complain Samsung doesn't give sales figures.  They are kicking Apple's butt globally.  Personally, I think a 4 inch 5s will not reverse the trend that Apple now has the second most popular phones in the world.  Really, really amazing collapse for this company.  Want to know why the stock is plummeting?  Because of an arrogant management team that fell asleep at the wheel allowing a huge lead in most popular phone to get evaporated and reversed in literally no time.

This is more lies!  The same article states "Samsung, however, has not disclosed official sales figures yet, but if the alleged Samsung executive's statement is true, it may be an figure the South Korean-based organization can proudly flaunt about."  So, they are not even sure this was really a Samsung executive making the comment.  

post #18 of 109
While I am at it. To those kids (AKA f@@ling trolls) who failed history lessons.

Last time when Apple was almost driven to the ground was all because of some morons like you lot - chasing market share and trying to be "the other guy". The new Apple (they even have a name change, do you know) is not the other guy. If you lots are so good with how to run one of the world largest company. I would love to see your real name and check against the top 500 global companies directors registration.

I won't tell Apple what to do. Because I can't. And So do you.
post #19 of 109

This is the typical biased financial reporting.  Lies are easily debunked, but the half-truth is the currency of the scoundrels today.

 

iOS volume was UP, and Apple makes money on every handset that uses it, plus almost everyone who has it will be paying Apple for apps, songs, etc.

 

The deceitful bastard who wants to dishearten the Apple crowd tries to make the "market share" statistic the only one worth mentioning.  I hope most people can see through this obvious fraud and realize that Apple is doing fine.  It goes without saying that any player in a new and rapidly developing field has to move quickly to keep their technology attractive, and there is no reason to believe this warning is specific to Apple or the field of smartphones.

 

We could just as easily give the same warning to Microsoft about MP3 players.  No, wait, we can't . . .

post #20 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Samsung officials have announced they've sold 6 million GS4s already and expect to sell 10 million in May.  There you have it, Apple no longer has the best selling single unit smartphone.  Expectations are for Apple to sell 25-30mm iPhones in the quarter, with a similar split to last quarter of 50/50 5s vs 4/4s, so they will sell roughly 12.5 million 5s in 3 months.  Lets say rather than 10 million a month this quarter, Samsung sells 25 million S4's........that is double the sales of the iPhone 5.

 

No longer can people complain Samsung doesn't give sales figures.  They are kicking Apple's butt globally.  Personally, I think a 4 inch 5s will not reverse the trend that Apple now has the second most popular phones in the world.  Really, really amazing collapse for this company.  Want to know why the stock is plummeting?  Because of an arrogant management team that fell asleep at the wheel allowing a huge lead in most popular phone to get evaporated and reversed in literally no time.

Even if Apple had a few cheaper devices that would have been true, but maybe not if the top end iPhone had a bigger screen. 

 

Apple just turns around too slow. Two years per model - with the same look and feel, is not good enough these days. iOS6 didn't add much to iOS5. 

 

They may just not have enough people. I think they also concentrate on the Mac too much. If its the post PC world I wonder why a lot of the WWDC presentations were last year - and might be this year - Mac related, and some of the additions were underwhelming.

 

Heres the list for iOS 6

 

http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/

 

They actually highlighted that Mail has a VIP box as one of the major fixes. Passbook was another failure. Maps - enough said. FaceTime - not really successful anyway - over 3G ( wasn't that just a carrier issue? I reckon they just deleted the code which stopped it working, a days work). The iCloud bookmarks in safari ( of no real use), and a reading list which actually works as you would expect and works offline? A few man days work both, surely.  And accessibility, worthy but not useful to most.

 

Most of the OS team wouldn't have been involved in most of those changes which makes me think that iOS 7 is a big rewrite. 

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #21 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

>>Expect? How long?>>

 

Seriously?  End of May is 15 days away.  So they have sold 6 million, which means they expect to sell 4mm the next 15 days. 

They are out of stock?  I have not heard any reports about stores being out of stock. Where are the lines of people waiting to buy or put their phones on order. In fact I searched several cities and even best buy has them in stock at every one of them today.  They are once again filling the supply chain and calling it sales.

post #22 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Samsung officials have announced they've sold 6 million GS4s already and expect to sell 10 million in May.  There you have it, Apple no longer has the best selling single unit smartphone.  Expectations are for Apple to sell 25-30mm iPhones in the quarter, with a similar split to last quarter of 50/50 5s vs 4/4s, so they will sell roughly 12.5 million 5s in 3 months.  Lets say rather than 10 million a month this quarter, Samsung sells 25 million S4's........that is double the sales of the iPhone 5.

No longer can people complain Samsung doesn't give sales figures.  They are kicking Apple's butt globally.  Personally, I think a 4 inch 5s will not reverse the trend that Apple now has the second most popular phones in the world.  Really, really amazing collapse for this company.  Want to know why the stock is plummeting?  Because of an arrogant management team that fell asleep at the wheel allowing a huge lead in most popular phone to get evaporated and reversed in literally no time.

A new phone outsells a nine month old phone? Stop the presses!!
post #23 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Samsung officials have announced they've sold 6 million GS4s already and expect to sell 10 million in May.  There you have it, Apple no longer has the best selling single unit smartphone.  Expectations are for Apple to sell 25-30mm iPhones in the quarter, with a similar split to last quarter of 50/50 5s vs 4/4s, so they will sell roughly 12.5 million 5s in 3 months.  Lets say rather than 10 million a month this quarter, Samsung sells 25 million S4's........that is double the sales of the iPhone 5.

 

No longer can people complain Samsung doesn't give sales figures.  They are kicking Apple's butt globally.  Personally, I think a 4 inch 5s will not reverse the trend that Apple now has the second most popular phones in the world.  Really, really amazing collapse for this company.  Want to know why the stock is plummeting?  Because of an arrogant management team that fell asleep at the wheel allowing a huge lead in most popular phone to get evaporated and reversed in literally no time.

 

Oh dear, all this panic...

 

Guys, don't forget that Samsung is using similar tactics as Google when it comes to numbers. There are reasons for why Google likes to report activations over sales and there is a reason for why Samsung officially only states shipments rather than sales. Look at the I/O keynote, where they talk about revenue per user, amount paid out to developers, etc. They never mention any hard number to put their statements into relation. All they do is talk about how much things increased over a period in the past. However, this is a very vague statements if no actual numbers whatsoever are given at all.

 

People also like to compare those "guessed" numbers to Apple and forget one thing: Apple has less than 20% global market share. Even if numbers start getting comparable in any category it still demonstrates quite a poor overall performance, because of the difference in market share. Having 4x amount of market share and still lacking in App Downloads or Revenue says a lot and that's why neither Google nor Samsung are giving out any real numbers. Also note the lackluster applause they get for such statements. ;-)

 

Either way, regarding Samsung and the amount of S4s sold. We don't know, because there are still no real numbers. What we do know is that the statement above is simply false, and this is what I call similar to Google's tactic, because when Samsung says S4 it doesn't mean one single device or one single device model, it means a whole series of devices, which happen to have a flagship phone amongst them. However, most of those supposed sales happen in the cheap categories, Galaxy S4 Mini and other spinoffs. Therefore you still can't really compare any numbers or judge who is winning or losing because we are talking about totally different markets and totally different target audiences here.

 

And yes, we all do know one thing: The amount of highend Android phones sold worldwide is quite low and this reflects not only statistics talking about app store revenue, online shopping activity or general web and services usage, but also reflects the impression people have when they talk about how few Android phones they actually see at Airports in Coffee Shops, etc.

post #24 of 109

When is AI going to deal with these concern trolls that only show up here when they can predict doom and gloom or gloat about Google/Samsung?  Samsung has sold 6M S4s?  When was this announced?  I follow tech blogs frequently and didn't see any announcement there.  Unless this is another one of these "estimated" figures that get thrown out there with no follow up or validation.  I don't trust any sales figures that don't filed with the SEC (or equivalent type agency).

post #25 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Samsung officials have announced they've sold 6 million GS4s already and expect to sell 10 million in May.  There you have it, Apple no longer has the best selling single unit smartphone.  Expectations are for Apple to sell 25-30mm iPhones in the quarter, with a similar split to last quarter of 50/50 5s vs 4/4s, so they will sell roughly 12.5 million 5s in 3 months.  Lets say rather than 10 million a month this quarter, Samsung sells 25 million S4's........that is double the sales of the iPhone 5.

 

No longer can people complain Samsung doesn't give sales figures.  They are kicking Apple's butt globally.  Personally, I think a 4 inch 5s will not reverse the trend that Apple now has the second most popular phones in the world.  Really, really amazing collapse for this company.  Want to know why the stock is plummeting?  Because of an arrogant management team that fell asleep at the wheel allowing a huge lead in most popular phone to get evaporated and reversed in literally no time.

 

I'm also in red numbers with my stake in AAPL, but I don't expect or want to change the Apple. Apple may have me disappointed in some ways, but there is nothing more disappointing than holding in hands the phone you praise so much.

 

Apple opens the markets and doesn't hold market shares. Live with it. Write off the loss and buy GOOG bubble.

post #26 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

I never imagined Apple would go 8 months silent in such a competitive space - never crossed my mind as a possibility.

If it was by design, that was a bad decision. If it was because of delays, that is also bad. I don't see how you explain this away. Not only is Android running away with share, but Apple has now let Microsoft back into the game

I hope Apple has big plans up their sleeves for September. I still think its their game to lose, I'm not as optimistic as I was last year

 

Personally, I find firing Forstall a pivoting moment in Apple’s current fortunes. It really seams in hindsight that he is responsible for the fact that iOS6 was (or at least was deemed) short on features. They probably understood at that moment (fall 2012) that they had a serious problem on there hands... So in steps Federighi and Ive to turn things around. But that takes time. And being a very cautious company, Apple certainly won’t rush things or go in panic mode.

 

I believe that this is why you feel that they are "silent" at the moment. It’s probably the calm weather before the storm right now. WWDC is less than a month away.

 

And as for autumn, I don’t remember Apple ever using the term "surprises" in the past to talk about their future rollout plans. So I’m pretty sure you are gonna be satisfied in the "big plans" as you mention it.

post #27 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

When is AI going to deal with these concern trolls that only show up here when they can predict doom and gloom or gloat about Google/Samsung?  Samsung has sold 6M S4s?  When was this announced?  I follow tech blogs frequently and didn't see any announcement there.  Unless this is another one of these "estimated" figures that get thrown out there with no follow up or validation.  I don't trust any sales figures that don't filed with the SEC (or equivalent type agency).


It's specifically shipped to channel, not sold, so it's a useless number. ...and obviously you didn't really look since it took 1.5 seconds to find. 

 

http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/15/galaxy-s4-sales-6-million/

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #28 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

They are out of stock?  I have not heard any reports about stores being out of stock. Where are the lines of people waiting to buy or put their phones on order. In fact I searched several cities and even best buy has them in stock at every one of them today.  They are once again filling the supply chain and calling it sales.
Well I don't doubt Samsung will sell a ton of S4 devices but it is a bit deceiving to fill the supply chain and then say ooh look how many we sold in 2 weeks or one month! When Apple announced 5M iPhone 5 sales in 3 days those were real sales to end customers. And we know that because the device was sold out everywhere. And you'd go online and the wait would be several weeks. I remember going with a friend to a Verizon store on Saturday and them telling us by 9am on Friday morning they were sold out. I just checked AT&T and they had the S4 available online and at every store in my metro area. Same thing with Best Buy. I also checked carphone warehouse and they had the device available and in stock. So we're supposed to believe they sold 6+ million to consumers, PLUS have stock available online and in stores? Um, no.
post #29 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post


It's specifically shipped to channel, not sold, so it's a useless number. ...and obviously you didn't really look since it took 1.5 seconds to find. 

 

http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/15/galaxy-s4-sales-6-million/

It gets old repeating it for those that don't pay attention or think it though: Shipped equals sold as a general rule. Doesn't matter if a carrier/retailer pays for it or an end-user. It"s still sold. The way that Apple officially recognizes a sale is effectively the same way Samsung does.  Some of you are confusing sales revenue with sell-thru numbers, something Apple sorta gives us with their channel inventory estimates. Samsung does not.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #30 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post


It's specifically shipped to channel, not sold, so it's a useless number. ...and obviously you didn't really look since it took 1.5 seconds to find. 

http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/15/galaxy-s4-sales-6-million/
Yes I admit I didn't look this morning. I was on different sites yesterday and didn't see anything. But as you say right now it's a useless number. Not sure why its being touted here as some big deal.
post #31 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

So what has Google achieved with this? From what I understand Android is free and they expect (and get) income from ads on the platform. This is a different situation as the Apple - Microsoft era, because Microsoft at least was paid for its software.

I just hope that Apple stays focused and doesn't give in to a fight for more market share, because that will turn out to be a dead end street. I would love to see them continue to serve the high end of the market, and consolidate the ecosystem.

On another note, I really don't get it. At a meeting the other day were eight people at my table. Eight of them carried an iPhone. On a flight last week I counted one Android phone and five iPhones with the people sitting in my row. Where are all the Android phones?

Unless the statistics (web browsing, app downloads, etc) have changed since I saw them Android sells lots of phones to people who don't really use them for anything besides maybe phone calls. They're basically selling over-qualified feature phones, whereas Apple is selling iPhones to people who actually use them.

post #32 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

It gets old repeating it for those that don't pay attention or think it though: Shipped equals sold as a general rule. Doesn't matter if a carrier/retailer pays for it or an end-user. It"s still sold. The way that Apple officially recognizes a sale is effectively the same way Samsung does.  Some of you are confusing sales revenue with sell-thru numbers, something Apple sorta gives us with their channel inventory estimates. Samsung does not.
The point isn't whether Samsung will sell 6M or 10M S4s, it's that someone reported it here as if 6M phones were in customers hands already and 10M would be by the end of the month. The real story is that's how many were stuffed in the channel and we don't know how many yet were sold to consumers. When Apple 5M iPhone 5s sold in 3 days we can assume those were sales to consumers as the phone was out of stock pretty much everywhere you went.
post #33 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2013/05/13/2013051301012.html#ystfuv

Right because if its not in a document its not legit?  You do know it would be against SEC laws for a company representative to publicly discuss these numbers if they weren't true?
What does Samsung have to do with the SEC? Are they required to file financial statements with the SEC since they're not an American company and aren't listed on any of our stock exchanges?
post #34 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

I'm also in red numbers with my stake in AAPL, but I don't expect or want to change the Apple. Apple may have me disappointed in some ways, but there is nothing more disappointing than holding in hands the phone you praise so much.

Apple opens the markets and doesn't hold market shares. Live with it. Write off the loss and buy GOOG bubble.
I'm in the red too, but am in it for the long haul. I think for my sanity I'm going to stop following the stock movement. Clearly Apple the company and APPL the stock don't have much to do with each other. The stock goes up and down for no real reason and often times goes down based on very sketchy stuff, like some translated rumor about the supply chain in Asia. Or the media making stuff up like falling demand of iPhone or iPad. I'd love it if some day Apple could go private and not have to deal with this Wall Street bullshit.
post #35 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


The point isn't whether Samsung will sell 6M or 10M S4s, it's that someone reported it here as if 6M phones were in customers hands already and 10M would be by the end of the month. The real story is that's how many were stuffed in the channel and we don't know how many yet were sold to consumers. When Apple 5M iPhone 5s sold in 3 days we can assume those were sales to consumers as the phone was out of stock pretty much everywhere you went.

I don't think that's a safe assumption at all. Apple has to fill the channel when a new iPhone model ships, no differently than Samsung has to with the S4. As far as Apple is concerned those 5M iPhones became a sale as soon as a carrier or retailer took delivery.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #36 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

 

I'm also in red numbers with my stake in AAPL, but I don't expect or want to change the Apple. Apple may have me disappointed in some ways, but there is nothing more disappointing than holding in hands the phone you praise so much.

 

Apple opens the markets and doesn't hold market shares. Live with it. Write off the loss and buy GOOG bubble.

 

 

All Apple have to do is to give not only 4 inch iPhone but also 5 inch

 

iPhone to customers.  Apple can get more market share and more

 

profits by this.

 

 

Apple have to innovate their obsolete set of mind.

post #37 of 109
Originally Posted by zvzax View Post
All Apple have to do is to give not only 4 inch iPhone but also 5 inch iPhone to customers.

 

Why?


Apple can get more market share and more profits by this.

 

What makes you think that?


Apple have to innovate their obsolete set of mind.

 

You mean the one that invented the modern smartphone market?

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #38 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

You are in over your head with me..... as a company that has public, US dollar bonds, held by US funds, your damn right the SEC has the power to come down hard on them if they are out telling lies.
If Samsung says there are 6M S4s in the channel and the expect to have 10M by end of month, and that gets translates into Samsung sells 6M Galaxy S4 phones it might not be a lie and certainly not anything the SEC is going to care about. Especially when they're not filing any management discussion and analysis that contains sales figures. But it is deceiving making people think the phone is selling like hotcakes, yet when you go online it's in stock, and at stores too.
post #39 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvzax View Post

 

 

All Apple have to do is to give not only 4 inch iPhone but also 5 inch

 

iPhone to customers.  Apple can get more market share and more

 

profits by this.

 

 

Apple have to innovate their obsolete set of mind.

 

yeah, right! 1biggrin.gif

 

this is how they do it in crappy Android world and that't why we have to make number of different designs, graphics, screens and view controllers....

 

You were told by TC exactly what the problems is: if it was possible to make it in a satisfactory way, then it would be on the market already. It is not just the battery, but also screen yields on quality LCD's such as Apple wants to have. With new screen there has to come also new dpi, which has to be at least 550dpi to support 4x screen coordinate factor. Apple doesn't just throw crap on the market for its own sake, you know...

 

Actually, I like TC more and more: he tells all of them almost everything, but idiots just don't listen ....1smile.gif

 

Another thing is that I do not believe I can put even 4.5 inch phones in my pocket. Not sure if I want to. perhaps 4.5, but never 5". When I look all those sorry asses with broken glass Samsdungs, with its disgusting screen colors, I can only say that majority of people always buys quantity over quality. How long has BMW produced only sedans? Even today they produce little more than that. But whatever they make, they are the best? DO they have leading market share? No. 

post #40 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelchu View Post

While I am at it. To those kids (AKA f@@ling trolls) who failed history lessons.

Last time when Apple was almost driven to the ground was all because of some morons like you lot - chasing market share and trying to be "the other guy". The new Apple (they even have a name change, do you know) is not the other guy. If you lots are so good with how to run one of the world largest company. I would love to see your real name and check against the top 500 global companies directors registration.

I won't tell Apple what to do. Because I can't. And So do you.

The reason Apple was run to the ground was because , in the early 1990's it kept huge profit margins reducing it's share of a rapidly growing market to 5% from 12%. Had it competed on price earlier it would have no need to compete - too much, too late - later.

 

This is playing out like that. The time for cheap iPhones was last year.

 

And do we have to be top executives to criticise Apple, or any other company. Can we criticize Elop? Ballmer?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

High quality moderation at this site.  I'm starting to think you are a 10 year old.  You should be proud of yourself, having told me to "shut up" a couple times in the last day, that is really an intelligent, well thought out argument to my criticism,  Sadly, its probably the best you can come up with. 

I agree, however as a moderator he doesn't act unfairly. So I see TS as wearing two hats - moderator, good enough, poster - a bit odd.

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • IDC: Apple's iOS fell to 17% of smartphones shipped in Q1, Windows Phone passed BlackBerry
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › IDC: Apple's iOS fell to 17% of smartphones shipped in Q1, Windows Phone passed BlackBerry