or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › IDC: Apple's iOS fell to 17% of smartphones shipped in Q1, Windows Phone passed BlackBerry
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

IDC: Apple's iOS fell to 17% of smartphones shipped in Q1, Windows Phone passed BlackBerry - Page 2

post #41 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

You are in over your head with me..... as a company that has public, US dollar bonds, held by US funds, your damn right the SEC has the power to come down hard on them if they are out telling lies.

 

 According to the TechCrunch article, the shipment figures came from a Samsung spokesman speaking on a Korean website. So the SEC would have no power to do anything since the statement wasn't made in the US, it was simply being reported. 

 

Now, the Korean government could investigate, but since the head of Samsung has been convicted and jailed on charges of  conspiracy, embezzlement, bribery and tax evasion and then pardoned by the government so he could serve on the Olympic committee, then I don't think any figures Samsung release are going to face any real scrutiny, whether they are true or not.

post #42 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

High quality moderation at this site.  I'm starting to think you are a 10 year old.  You should be proud of yourself, having told me to "shut up" a couple times in the last day, that is really an intelligent, well thought out argument to my criticism,  Sadly, its probably the best you can come up with. 

 

The question remains: why are you here?

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

Reply

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

Reply
post #43 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

When Apple 5M iPhone 5s sold in 3 days we can assume those were sales to consumers as the phone was out of stock pretty much everywhere you went.

 

No sir, they were not all sales to end users.   In fact, that's why analysts were so unhappy with the first weekend having "only" one million more than the iPhone 4S a year prior, which was in two fewer countries.  Everyone had expected a lot more sales the first weekend, because those sales include retailers filling inventory.  Thus it was seen as a case of retailers holding back due to low expected demand. (*)

 

For example, among others, ISI Group's Brian Marshall noted: "Clarification - recall the 5mil+ iPhone 5 reported sales only takes into consideration: 1) what was sold into partners (e.g., retail outlets, carriers, etc.), 2) sold in AAPL retail stores, and 3) direct to customers only if they signed for the device."
 
Btw, #3 often confuses people, because Apple also reports presale numbers, many of which are not part of sales yet because they haven't been delivered yet.  Apple does not report direct end user sales until delivery.  Thus we can often ADD presales on top of the first weekend sales, to get a better idea of how many have actually been purchased by both end users and retailers.
 
(*) However, as it turned out later, the real cause for such low shipments was probably production problems with the aluminum case.  (Everyone had wrongly assumed that Cook, being a supply chain expert, wouldn't have had such supply problems.)
post #44 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

 (Everyone had wrongly assumed that Cook, being a supply chain expert, wouldn't have had such supply problems.)

 

When you're trying out bleeding edge manufacturing processes, sometimes you bleed. Fact of life. Unless Apple decides to make life easier for itself by returning to regular ways of building stuff then don't expect this to be last time it happens.

post #45 of 109

It would be nice to see some studies by these analysts every quarter on which companies sold how many *profitable* phones.  Just limit it to handsets that profit the company by at least $25 each.  Should be a very short list and simple study....

post #46 of 109

I really don't understand all this doom and gloom stuff. Apple is growing at a healthy rate. Is it as fast as the growth that it experienced in the initial 5 years? No, but it's still growing at a very healthy rate. Is it growing as fast as the smart phone market is expanding? No, but I can't rationalize it to myself how that actually matters to Apple's growth, success, and overall profit. I guess I am in the camp that would rather see slow steady growth with little dips vs. fast growth and severe crashes. Just as I would rather loose weight slowly and consistently rather then binge dieting followed by binge eating. By the looks of Androids amazing growth and their continued growth upon growth, they will have everyone on the planet within a few years... and then what? Apple will still be growing and all other manufactures will be having to fight even harder and more cut-throat for the scraps because there is no where left for them to grow.

 

However, having said that, I do see the concern with market share when it comes to data mining. Which is what google is chasing hard without having to actually spend it's money (brilliant BTW, not something I completely agree with, but brilliant none-the-less). Obviously the bigger pool to mine from means more information extracted (whether the information is valuable or not is not what I'm debating). What it can contribute enormously to is value for customers. More information can lead to greater success when it comes to predicting behavior of the masses and then providing you that information the moment you need it without you having to search for it or even realize that you need it. However, what sample size is required to provide sufficient information for this to be possible? Don't know... not a statistician, but if 100 million is a big enough sample size then Apple (i.e. purchasers of apple products) need not worry.

 

So to paraphrase many posters on matters that really don't matter... nothing to see hear.

post #47 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

The reason Apple was run to the ground was because , in the early 1990's it kept huge profit margins reducing it's share of a rapidly growing market to 5% from 12%. Had it competed on price earlier it would have no need to compete - too much, too late - later.

 

 

That's a fair point, but look what happened. The PC market fought itself down to razor-thin margins and a situation where the manufacturers are forced to install crapware on machines to make any money at all. And fifteen years later, Apple still has a relatively small market share, but their PC sales makes them more money than the other top four manufacturers combined.

 

Pricing is very important, but what Apple has learned from years of watching the PC market is that it's very easy to get involved in a war and then price yourself into bankruptcy. The other thing they learned is that without an ecosystem (and that's the real reason they lost the PC wars) then you're stuffed. That's why they've spent millions millions on data centres, continue to work on Maps, why they're ready to listen if it means getting TV networks to sign on with them. This is all about the ecosystem, because everything else is disposable.

post #48 of 109

I am a Store Manager for cellphone dealer in Canada.  We ordered in 20 Samsung Galaxy S4's in for launch day.  We still have 10 in stock. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks in stock.

 

Their were zero lines and only 3 people called to see if we had stock on launch day.

 

I am not sure what that means but I struggle to believe the 'numbers' Samsung is throwing out.

post #49 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

 

The question remains: why are you here?

What has he done wrong ?

post #50 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Because I'm down a few hundred k on the stock and venting.  I haven't responded to any of the name calling or disparaging remarks, I have only criticized Tim Cook, which many people do away from this site.  I hope Apple employees look here and see that there is intense displeasure by some in their recent actions and that they change the way they've been operating lately.  Am I delusional enough to think anything I say will make a difference?  No, but who really thinks anything said on any internet forum has a material impact on anything.  I'd ask why are all the other posters here?  Do they have Apple pom-poms at home and simply enjoy telling the world this company can do no wrong?

So you're having a childish hissy-fit that you bet wrong? Welcome to the Wall Street Casino. Don't blame Apple. Suck it up, put on your righty-whities and accept that you win some and lose some. I'm still ahead on AAPL right now, albeit not as much as when it was on the $700 days, but I don't blame them. I blame the a$$hats that manipulate the media and market to play their little games.

If you can't handle the losses that go with winning, then the market isn't for you.
post #51 of 109
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post
…my criticism…

 

Ah, is that what you're trying to pitch it as, these days… "criticism"… 


Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post
Because I'm down a few hundred k on the stock and venting.

 

Good for you. Sell the stock and quit whining.


Am I delusional enough to think anything I say will make a difference?  No, but who really thinks anything said on any internet forum has a material impact on anything.

 

You're delusional enough to waste your time on actions you yourself have acknowledged are meaningless. That removes any 'protection' you might otherwise have had from disparaging remarks.

 

Many actions on many forums have impact. Somehow I imagine yours won't.


I'd ask why are all the other posters here?  Do they have Apple pom-poms at home and simply enjoy telling the world this company can do no wrong?

 

Gotta love the black and white world of the troll.


Originally Posted by Teamracer View Post
What has he done wrong ?

 

HA!

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #52 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

High quality moderation at this site.  I'm starting to think you are a 10 year old.  You should be proud of yourself, having told me to "shut up" a couple times in the last day, that is really an intelligent, well thought out argument to my criticism,  Sadly, its probably the best you can come up with. 

Luckily hes not a mod anymore. You can just block his post.

post #53 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman2 View Post

For crying outloud will you stop publishing this crap data, IDC are corrupt everyone knows it

Unless you are owned by the same company I guess

AppleInsider won't rest until iOS marketshare falls below 1%.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #54 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

No sir, they were not all sales to end users.   In fact, that's why analysts were so unhappy with the first weekend having "only" one million more than the iPhone 4S a year prior, which was in two fewer countries.  Everyone had expected a lot more sales the first weekend, because those sales include retailers filling inventory.  Thus it was seen as a case of retailers holding back due to low expected demand. (*)

For example, among others, ISI Group's Brian Marshall noted: "Clarification - recall the 5mil+ iPhone 5 reported sales only takes into consideration: 1) what was sold into partners (e.g., retail outlets, carriers, etc.), 2) sold in AAPL retail stores, and 3) direct to customers only if they signed for the device."
 
Btw, #3 often confuses people, because Apple also reports presale numbers, many of which are not part of sales yet because they haven't been delivered yet.  Apple does not report direct end user sales until delivery.  Thus we can often ADD presales on top of the first weekend sales, to get a better idea of how many have actually been purchased by both end users and retailers.
 
(*) However, as it turned out later, the real cause for such low shipments was probably production problems with the aluminum case.  (Everyone had wrongly assumed that Cook, being a supply chain expert, wouldn't have had such supply problems.)
So, tell me then how many retailers had iPhone 5s available to walk out the door with or buy online the weekend it came out? I gave one example of a Verizon store that said they sold out by 9am on Friday. I get that the 5 million wasn't all direct sales from Apple to the consumer but all we had were stories about Apple, AT&T, Verizon, etc. being out of stock. If these carriers/re-sellers never received stock in the first place (because of production problems or some other reason) Apple would hardly have included that in their 5M figure. So yes, it wasn't 5M in the customers hands but highly likely that it was 5M in process.

Today I can go on AT&T, Sprint, Best Buy, Carphone Warehouse (and I'm sure others) and they all have the Galaxy S4 in stock and available for purchase. If that phone was such a hot seller (I'm assuming that's the reason these figures were posted here in the first place) wouldn't places be out of stock? Unless we're to believe Samsung has millions of these phones sitting in a warehouse somewhere and they're replenishing resellers as fast as they're selling them?
post #55 of 109
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post
You can just block his post.

 

They always seem to keep replying, though. lol.gif

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #56 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarker99 View Post

I am a Store Manager for cellphone dealer in Canada.  We ordered in 20 Samsung Galaxy S4's in for launch day.  We still have 10 in stock. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks in stock.

Their were zero lines and only 3 people called to see if we had stock on launch day.

I am not sure what that means but I struggle to believe the 'numbers' Samsung is throwing out.
I don't doubt that Samsung pushed that many in to the channel and I don't doubt that the S4 will sell very well. But it's pretty obvious those figures were posted here to show how well the S4 is selling (and why it's doom for Apple) when it really doesn't tell us anything of the sort. If it was selling that well resellers would be out of stock or we'd have anecdotal reports of long lines at stores or brisk sales. Where are those stories?

Also we keep hearing about how the high end smartphone market is becoming saturated (again all doom for Apple). Well if there is any truth to that wouldn't it also impact the S4? Is that not a high end smartphone?
post #57 of 109

Seriously its absolutely has me astounded that you guys think Samsung would channel stuff. There is no profits in it. Samsung ships the phones to where they will be purchased. There is no company who values people's perception of their numbers more then they do profits. Stop thinking that they are just channel stuffing. The Galaxy S 4 is a popular phone. It may not be iPhone numbers but it is a popular phone Samsung will sale 50-40 million by the end of the year. 

post #58 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Seriously its absolutely has me astounded that you guys think Samsung would channel stuff. There is no profits in it. Samsung ships the phones to where they will be purchased. There is no company who values people's perception of their numbers more then they do profits. Stop thinking that they are just channel stuffing. The Galaxy S 4 is a popular phone. It may not be iPhone numbers but it is a popular phone Samsung will sale 50-40 million by the end of the year. 
Doesn't mean they've already sold 6M to consumers and 10M by end of month. Just means the resellers are well stocked.
post #59 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Because I'm down a few hundred k on the stock and venting.  

 

Not sure why that's anyone's fault but your own, and I'm not sure how whining like a little girl is going to improve your situation. The value of your stock can go up as well as down; you know that, right? Smart investors cut their losses and get out when they think there's a problem. That's what I do, and I'm not that smart.  

 

I have only criticized Tim Cook, which many people do away from this site.

 

The only people who seem to be criticizing are pundits looking for web hits and analysts out to make a fast buck. The actual investors gave Cook an approval rating of about 99.1%. Perhaps they're not as prone to panic as others appear to be.

 

I hope Apple employees look here and see that there is intense displeasure by some in their recent actions and that they change the way they've been operating lately.

 

Well, as well as the 99.1% approval rating with investors, Cook is also enjoying a 93% approval rate with Apple employees, so I don't think you're going to get much joy there either.

 


 Am I delusional enough to think anything I say will make a difference?  No, but who really thinks anything said on any internet forum has a material impact on anything.  

 

 

Well, any company that formulates company policy based on the rantings in a rumour forum is in for a world of hurt at some point ....

 

I'd ask why are all the other posters here?  Do they have Apple pom-poms at home and simply enjoy telling the world this company can do no wrong?

 

Well, I imagine they're interested in reading about Apple products and the like. Most folk here probably don't have Apple shares so are more concerned with hearing about what new stuff Apple might or might not be bringing out. The problem is that AI is more concerned with with ad hits but lacks the writing talent to attract views through traditional investigative journalism, so they have to start fights, like the ones in this thread. I think another problem is that there is no news coming from Cupertino that can can be written about by journalists without investigative skills. Either that's because Apple isn't doing anything, or Cook has become very adept at keeping a lid on things. I guess we'll find out which it is soon enough.

 

post #60 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Because I'm down a few hundred k on the stock and venting.  I haven't responded to any of the name calling or disparaging remarks, I have only criticized Tim Cook, which many people do away from this site.  I hope Apple employees look here and see that there is intense displeasure by some in their recent actions and that they change the way they've been operating lately.  Am I delusional enough to think anything I say will make a difference?  No, but who really thinks anything said on any internet forum has a material impact on anything.  I'd ask why are all the other posters here?  Do they have Apple pom-poms at home and simply enjoy telling the world this company can do no wrong?


Seriously, that's why you're here??

 

Almost all here realize that it's impossible for one corporation to rule the hardware world.  "We" realize that the first-to-entry created unheard of success in the iPod, iPhone and iPad.

 

Android has advantages...its ecosystem has embraced multitudes of sizes, shapes, colors, quality, functionality and prices.  Some devices are very good but most are crap leaving the customer very unsatisfied....many companies lose/lost profits.  And all sorts of people are attracted to these devices.  You will find that (the cheap) cost is a major factor for the majority of the customer base.

 

So does Apple have competition?  Of course.  Please don't tell me you invested in Apple thinking that no competition would ever appear.  If so, you should get out of investing, move on and be thankful for the lesson.

 

Is this is an important year for Apple?  Hell yah.  If Apple does not offer a different form factor, it will show the world that it is indeed too slow or too risk adverse to be in this industry...and would mean that Apple might be relegated to 17% market share... for forever.


But if Apple launches a new form factor, it'll hold on and grow slightly in 2013.  Then in 2014...watchout...you'd be sorry that you sold your shares.

 

It's a fast paced world filled with wild expectations, my only concern is whether Apple can really kick the competition's ass when you have companies, like Samsung, who plays up to the fast-paced/high-expectations by stealing and using questionable ad/marketing schemes.

 

Despite what I wrote above, I believe that IDC's accuracy is crap.

post #61 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

It gets old repeating it for those that don't pay attention or think it though: Shipped equals sold as a general rule. Doesn't matter if a carrier/retailer pays for it or an end-user. It"s still sold. The way that Apple officially recognizes a sale is effectively the same way Samsung does.  Some of you are confusing sales revenue with sell-thru numbers, something Apple sorta gives us with their channel inventory estimates. Samsung does not.

Try to get it right when Apple said sold it meant to the consumers and not stored in warehouses so somewhere.

No one is asking for sale revenue but the product sold versus shipped.

The analysts were not happy because the whispered number was 10 millions Nd Apple 'managed' to sell only 5 millions.

Apple could easily have stuffed the channel with 10millions phones.
post #62 of 109
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

 

 

 

 

Well, I imagine they're interested in reading about Apple products and the like. Most folk here probably don't have Apple shares so are more concerned with hearing about what new stuff Apple might or might not be bringing out. The problem is that AI is more concerned with with ad hits but lacks the writing talent to attract views through traditional investigative journalism, so they have to start fights, like the ones in this thread. I think another problem is that there is no news coming from Cupertino that can can be written about by journalists without investigative skills. Either that's because Apple isn't doing anything, or Cook has become very adept at keeping a lid on things. I guess we'll find out which it is soon enough.

 

 

 This site is a investor site, as well as a fan site. Hence the "insider" tag - although we are none of us insiders, I suspect. Investors are free to come and vent.

 

As for the rest of us, we can be fans and critical. This is a serious juncture for Apple. Lets hope they respond to it.

 

Tolerance of criticism here has been reduced somewhat in the post-iPhone age. Until then there wasn't a keynote which wasn't routinely criticized. The only exception I can think of is the iPhone announcement itself; until then most posts in response to announcements or strategy were unhappy with some release or other; some pet project not started, some machine not upgraded, some screens not matte, or too matte enough, I forget which ( boy, that thread never ended). 

 

I understand the price of Apple fandom is eternal vigilance - most people critical of Apple on the broader internet are trolls, or fandroids, or uninformed idiots. Let's leave the mods to deal with that - people with low posting counts, and repeating the echo chamber points of the androids are easy to spot.

 

But jndc123 is clearly posting from within the fence, as an investor. He knows his stuff. He is concerned. Thats why he is here. Its ok to dislike the management, to wonder where the new products are for 2013.

 

I posted a review of the Google I/O on a thread yesterday, saying it was all good stuff and Apple needed to up it's game. I was accused of propaganda by a poster who joined in 2008. I've been here since 2003. I reported that, and will continue to do that, because this place needs differences of opinions and I, too, am not happy with the present management.

 

So if I am called a troll, or a propagandist, you will be reported. Whether that does any good or not remains to be seen.

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #63 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamC View Post


Try to get it right when Apple said sold it meant to the consumers and not stored in warehouses so somewhere.

No one is asking for sale revenue but the product sold versus shipped.

The analysts were not happy because the whispered number was 10 millions Nd Apple 'managed' to sell only 5 millions.

Apple could easily have stuffed the channel with 10millions phones.

Apple managed to ship 5 million, not sell. it shipped to Channel. 

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #64 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Today I can go on AT&T, Sprint, Best Buy, Carphone Warehouse (and I'm sure others) and they all have the Galaxy S4 in stock and available for purchase. If that phone was such a hot seller (I'm assuming that's the reason these figures were posted here in the first place) wouldn't places be out of stock? Unless we're to believe Samsung has millions of these phones sitting in a warehouse somewhere and they're replenishing resellers as fast as they're selling them?

They seem to manage supply better.

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #65 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamC View Post


Try to get it right when Apple said sold it meant to the consumers and not stored in warehouses so somewhere.

No one is asking for sale revenue but the product sold versus shipped.

The analysts were not happy because the whispered number was 10 millions Nd Apple 'managed' to sell only 5 millions.

Apple could easily have stuffed the channel with 10millions phones.

Check your facts sir. When Apple reports x-number of iPhones sold they are not referring to only the ones purchased by an end-user. A little research will clear things up for you.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #66 of 109
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post
OK tough guy.  I love all the clowns here who use the internet to all of a sudden become schoolyard bullies, none of which likely have the spine to say such things in person, but somehow get tough on a forum.  Only makes me want to post more.

 

Au contraire, were you dumb enough to act like this in a store I owned, for example, I'd ask you to leave. There's no sense in putting up with this idiocy. 

 

Imagine the context translated, of course. 

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #67 of 109
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post
And like here, if you said that in person, I'd ignore you.

 

In person, I have security. Physical removal is the equivalent of banning here. You're on track for that, at least.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #68 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

In person, I have security. Physical removal is the equivalent of banning here. You're on track for that, at least.

On what basis? Criticism of Apple? When has that been a bankable offense? Is it in the rules?

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #69 of 109
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post
On what basis? Criticism of Apple? When has that been a bankable offense? Is it in the rules?

 

Good ol' OS X autocorrect.

 

So you're fine with lies, hoaxes, and FUD being allowed here? Anyone can say anything they want without repercussion?


Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post
I am actually starting to think you might be his mother.


Go wash your face.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #70 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Samsung officials have announced they've sold 6 million GS4s already and expect to sell 10 million in May.  There you have it, Apple no longer has the best selling single unit smartphone.  Expectations are for Apple to sell 25-30mm iPhones in the quarter, with a similar split to last quarter of 50/50 5s vs 4/4s, so they will sell roughly 12.5 million 5s in 3 months.  Lets say rather than 10 million a month this quarter, Samsung sells 25 million S4's........that is double the sales of the iPhone 5.

No longer can people complain Samsung doesn't give sales figures.  They are kicking Apple's butt globally.  Personally, I think a 4 inch 5s will not reverse the trend that Apple now has the second most popular phones in the world.  Really, really amazing collapse for this company.  Want to know why the stock is plummeting?  Because of an arrogant management team that fell asleep at the wheel allowing a huge lead in most popular phone to get evaporated and reversed in literally no time.

Yes... Apple is the #2 smartphone vendor in the world. Apple is the Wendy's to Samsung's McDonalds.

I'd love to hear your opinions of #3 or #4 though... if being #2 is so horrible. 1smile.gif
post #71 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So how come Apple makes more money than Samsung?

Could it be because of the 65 million smartphones Samsung shipped only 6 million were Galaxy S 4's, the rest were cheap junk.

But, but, but... unit sales.... market share... winning...

1biggrin.gif
post #72 of 109

Being a dealer, we have to purchase the devices at full retail price.  When we sell the device we are reimbursed by the carrier we represent, plus a small commission.

No OEM tells us what we have to stock.  We basically order devices as needed.

 

We assumed a larger demand for the S4, at launch, and were off.  Will we sell out our current stock? Yes, but at a much slower rate than we predicted.

 

I do not think Samsung channels the phones. I am just finding the 'numbers' to be different than our locations demand.  I do believe that the S4 is popular and will sell but I am not seeing it, yet.

 

I guess why I am posting is because I am baffled at the lack of interest in the S4, at our locations. I expected to be sold out on day 1.

post #73 of 109
Originally Posted by clarker99 View Post

I do believe that the S4 is popular and will sell but I am not seeing it, yet.

 

I expected to be sold out on day 1.

 

And you still believe it's popular and will sell?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #74 of 109
Gee, at this rate of decline in three years Apple will be selling zero phones. That sounds logical doesn't it?
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #75 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvzax View Post


All Apple have to do is to give not only 4 inch iPhone but also 5 inch

iPhone to customers.  Apple can get more market share and more

profits by this.


Apple have to innovate their obsolete set of mind.

OMG. What is it with the letter Z and these kinds of posts? 1wink.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #76 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

And you still believe it's popular and will sell?

 

The S3 started out slow, as well.  It slowly gained momentum after a few months.  I just assumed a better launch day bc the S4 had the all the 'buzz'. I was dead wrong.  We sold 6x as many iPhone 5's on launch day than S4's.

 

Again, I am looking at tech websites and blogs telling me how many Galaxy S4's are being sold and I am having trouble believing them.

 

If Apple reports that sales are up or down over a quarter, usually that reflects in our sales of iPhone's being up or down. 

 

All I here about with Samsung or Android based phones is how many are selling.  It is not reflected in our sales.  Based on the 'numbers' Samsung Galaxy S4 should be outselling the iPhone 5 head to head over the last 3 weeks at our locations.  That is just not the case. 

 

We sell 40% iPhone (4, 4S, 5) and 60% everything else (10+ different models of Android, Windows, Blackberry).

post #77 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So yes, it wasn't 5M in the customers hands but highly likely that it was 5M in process.

 

Likewise, Samsung sales are in progress.   I'm sure you'll acknowledge that they will sell at least 10 million to end users, even if it takes a few weeks after the retailer count is reported.

 

Don't forget that Apple is very often in the exact same situation of end user sales taking a while, after they get their production caught up.  They also count shipments that are filling up the inventory channel.  Heck, at least count there's over 11 million iPhones like that.  

 

Most products sell through eventually.  Unless it's a real sales dud (like that Facebook phone seems to be), debating sales vs. shipped is just picking temporary nits.  Good mental exercise, but meaningless in a few months.

 

Quote:
Also we keep hearing about how the high end smartphone market is becoming saturated (again all doom for Apple). Well if there is any truth to that wouldn't it also impact the S4? Is that not a high end smartphone?

 

It will affect Apple first, because their average prices are higher, but yes... high end saturation is expected to affect Samsung as well.


Edited by KDarling - 5/16/13 at 12:51pm
post #78 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarker99 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

And you still believe it's popular and will sell?

 

The S3 started out slow, as well.  It slowly gained momentum after a few months.  I just assumed a better launch day bc the S4 had the all the 'buzz'. I was dead wrong.  We sold 6x as many iPhone 5's on launch day than S4's.

 

Again, I am looking at tech websites and blogs telling me how many Galaxy S4's are being sold and I am having trouble believing them.

 

If Apple reports that sales are up or down over a quarter, usually that reflects in our sales of iPhone's being up or down. 

 

All I here about with Samsung or Android based phones is how many are selling.  It is not reflected in our sales.  Based on the 'numbers' Samsung Galaxy S4 should be outselling the iPhone 5 head to head over the last 3 weeks at our locations.  That is just not the case. 

 

We sell 40% iPhone (4, 4S, 5) and 60% everything else (10+ different models of Android, Windows, Blackberry).

actually they said they sold 10million s3 (now 6 million s4).

post #79 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

I invest for a living.

And you complain for leisure? 1wink.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #80 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Apple just turns around too slow. Two years per model - with the same look and feel, is not good enough these days.

 

What was that, dude?

 

 

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • IDC: Apple's iOS fell to 17% of smartphones shipped in Q1, Windows Phone passed BlackBerry
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › IDC: Apple's iOS fell to 17% of smartphones shipped in Q1, Windows Phone passed BlackBerry